How Do You Feel About Windower?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Leviathan » How do you feel about Windower?
How do you feel about Windower?
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2009-05-12 21:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just checking out one of Minipie's Pic's an notice a few comments from Haseyo,Atrithk,and Luignata which kinda motivated me to ask how people feel about this particular program. Do you feel players to brag about being as good as they are using this program would be just as good w/o it?
(In a rush, didn't bother to check grammar bare w/ me.)
I'm curious though how people feel, Ill check post later.
[+]
 Kujata.Houshisama
Server: Kujata
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-12 21:28:33
Link | Quote | Reply

makes things less annoying for certain things, like the recast, but thats data than can be given to you by /recast anyway so i dont really care. helps with macro sets, which SE should probably make longer anyway because although i know HOW to change my full set using real macros, its just annoying.

things like distance we cant get ahold of through the game but windower gives us, so it does lesson the familiarity you have to have with distance naturally, but its not a big deal at all in my opinion.....

i like windower. i like being to alt-tab and still have the game look and operate well. the SE windower REALLY sucks, ive tried every setting possible and im fairly good with computers (i build them >_>, program etc) so i think id know how to get it to work, but it just doesnt want to co-operate. so i use windower, sue me.

TP party is cool as well.
[+]
 Asura.Kyoroku
Server: Asura
By Asura.Kyoroku 2009-05-12 21:31:10
Link | Quote | Reply

To be truthful, I don't think I'd be able to play FFXI without Windower. Spellcast aliases are so useful (especially on WHM for status removal), I pretty much just type the large majority of my spells now.
[+]
 Titan.Azarasi
Server: Titan
user: azarashi
By Titan.Azarasi 2009-05-12 21:36:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If SE starting banning for windower I would quit, it makes the game better.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Aerokii
Server: Gilgamesh
user: aerokii
By Gilgamesh.Aerokii 2009-05-12 21:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to use it, but over fear of being banned I switched to the SE windowed mode anyway. It's nice to see distance, and the recast timer is good, but the real use is in seeing your party member's TP for skillchains, even if most of that could be done with macros by the party members.

The other thing was, music continued playing even if I left the window, so if I was suddenly aggro'd while looking something up I'd know. That's the only thing I really miss.
 Garuda.Ishkur
Server: Garuda
user: Ishkur
By Garuda.Ishkur 2009-05-12 22:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

it's kinda hax on some plug ins. Gives an unfair advatage over console players...
I use it when I have to dual box on some friend's account or when I wanna use a plug in like WS points check.
But I am 99% of my time on windowed mode. Bue yeah if SE would copy some things from windower the game would be a bit friendlier.
[+]
 Asura.Eeek
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2009-05-12 22:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

My view on Windower is similar to that of Housh. I don't rely on Windower for its ingame functionality. I appreciate it most for allowing me to alt+tab to accomplish other things during downtime in FFXI. SE's Windower is unstable and absolute garbage.

The Distance plugin is nice, but I had no issues pulling from 1-75 on both THF and BRD without Windower. I've pulled Chain 300+ merit parties on my BRD with and without Windower.

My first job to 75 was THF, so I learned to gearswap like a madman. I have this same mentality when approaching my BRD and BLM. Do I need Windower to handle my gearswaps? Nope. I learned to handle it despite SE's lousy macro system. The only difference is that I have to hit fewer macros now for any given action.

Do I need Recast and Yarnball to play my BRD or BLM? Nope. I already have a good feel for my song durations and spell recasts. Yarnball is still fantastic though! <3

I don't feel that Windower is vital to my ingame experience, although I will admit that it makes life easier. However, I don't believe that it gives me an edge over other good players, without Windower, who know what they're doing. Windower does give me an advantage over people who use SE's Windower, but that's only because it's a steaming pile of garbage which hinders FFXI's overall performance.

That being said, I'd quit if I couldn't use Windower. I put my downtime to good use, and that's just not possible with SE's Windower.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-12 22:12:18
Link | Quote | Reply

bleh. use it if you want.
its not that hard to set macros with out it and its not hard to find the g-spot without it.
whatever floats your boat.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-05-12 22:12:48
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Windower gives an unfair advantage to those that play the game, straight and simple. That is against the ToS. Saying that Windower is harmless would be a lie, it's advantages in macros, recast, distance, all are distinct advantages in the game, and it's not meant to be played like that.

SE considers Windower illegal and will punish those caught with it. The fact that it can't be traced easily is the only reason they haven't banned for it yet. Get out now before we come across another Salvage incident.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-12 22:14:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Well what cracks me up is the "do it without the recast plugin" comment.

Before I had even heard of windower, almost all of my macros had a /recast command line in them, and then I even had a "Recast" macro which had /recast for all my major spells, like Haste or Refresh. And not to mention, even if you DONT use /recast in your macros, whats the worst that happens? You hit your Blizz III macro and it's not ready yet, what do you do? You keep smashing it until it kicks in. Least, thats what I do. Someone who knows, to the second, when Blizzard III is going to be ready has no real advantage over someone who doesnt, especially when, like I said, it's easy to check. And if you can't manage your mob and keep yourself alive with the use of Bind and Grav while you wait for your recasts, then that's your problem, and not mine.

The most popular windower plugins (recast and yarnball) do nothing that any player could do if they pay attention to their game. Any 75 Rdm should have a rough estimate of when your Haste is about to be ready again, or when it's about to drop. Even if youre off by a few seconds, you usually just know.

Windower doesn't make a bad player good. The person has to have some sort of skill to begin with. Just because they solo'd a BC with their recast timers in plain sight instead of having to hit Ctrl + M doesn't mean they didnt know what they were doing. They still conserved MP, had macro swaps, and decent enough gear to get the job done.

Just my two cents. the kitty now has $.02
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-05-12 22:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on 360, so can't use it. But at times I wish I had it for really just the TP thing when breaking latents. Like Alijah said, good players that have experience on their job know when their stuff is going to be up by instinct. I've been a WAR for a good five years, and can moreless know when Berserk/Aggresor/WAR Charge will be up within a 7~ second check of it. That transfered over to PLD, and BLM only uses like 4 nukes end game, and one or two debuffs. None of which are hard to self time.

...although doing RNG solo on worms, I truly wish I had the distance plug in.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-12 22:22:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Eternaltriumph said:

you fail.
 Fairy.Filielle
Server: Fairy
user: Filielle
By Fairy.Filielle 2009-05-12 22:25:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Eternaltriumph said:

you fail.

Oh, you admit your hatred on natural Skill. Okay, I personally msg'd my little boytoy on myspace for your dumbass to not ask to be with because of your pettiful pride as a *** FOR SALE.

So if he even does kill you when he's drunk, at least he has more money & fame to do it legally & as a good example to / for men!
 Ifrit.Thunderz
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Thunderz 2009-05-12 22:25:48

Luignata said:
Windower gives an unfair advantage to those that play the game, straight and simple. That is against the ToS. Saying that Windower is harmless would be a lie, it's advantages in macros, recast, distance, all are distinct advantages in the game, and it's not meant to be played like that.

SE considers Windower illegal and will punish those caught with it. The fact that it can't be traced easily is the only reason they haven't banned for it yet. Get out now before we come across another Salvage incident.

lol

your reply is depressing
 Fairy.Filielle
By Fairy.Filielle 2009-05-12 22:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Thunderz said:
Luignata said:

lol

your reply is depressing

All I have to even mention as an example is this:

EANAE
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-05-12 22:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Filielle said:

EANAE

What the *** does that even mean?

EIAEIOU

And sometimes Y
 Fairy.Filielle
By Fairy.Filielle 2009-05-12 22:29:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
Filielle said:

EANAE

What the *** does that even mean?

Player Search that name.

It's also in my screenshot gallery.

edit:

is Megashell / Darnell done having sex with girls after betraying most of the Hellshounds version 2 linkshell already?
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-05-12 22:47:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't dislike Windower, I just dislike the people who claim to be "good at the game" and are spoonfed information that takes less than a second to get. Yes, it makes things easier, and yes, it can be essential for perfect execution, but the way things stand, make this game any easier - without Windower, even - and it's WoW in Final Fantasy land. ;_;
EDIT: I play on the 360, I could play on windows, but I hate windows. I -want- to use Windower, but at the same time, I find it easy enough. Distance plug ins would be nice, but I have my skills on macro, and if I ever want to check them, I can hit the macro again. As someone posted in the aforementioned pic, "What's the difference between /recast and little boxes that tell you the recast times?"
It frees up your speech box at the bottom of your screen, sure, but I know how much stuff goes through there. Put some damn chat filters on, you don't need to know exactly how much damage the other DDs are doing.
It's really an arbitrary thing, there is no way you could -really- have a problem with that. Recast times and time remaining on buffs are general information that can be found just about anyfuckingwhere.
However, anything that gives a -real- unfair advantage, like radar addons, I have a problem with. Sorry, but it has to be said. You can't mess up because you have a map in the corner of your screen, you can still control yourself while looking at it, and you can do anything else while running straight to your destination with no deviation because you're trying to hurry and don't want to stop to look at the map.
Not to mention finding NPCs without Wide scan.
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-12 22:51:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
I don't dislike Windower, I just dislike the people who claim to be "good at the game" and are spoonfed information that takes less than a second to get. Yes, it makes things easier, and yes, it can be essential for perfect execution, but the way things stand, make this game any easier - without Windower, even - and it's WoW in Final Fantasy land. ;_;

shut up. this game is by no means WoW, not even close.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-05-12 22:53:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I will point out that the core components of Windower and FFXIAH.com were developed by the same people.

Posting on a FFXIAH.com message board about the implied immorality of Windower is a bit fundamentally flawed.

But, y'know, if you wanna keep arguing it...
[+]
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-12 22:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
I will point out that the core components of Windower and FFXIAH.com were developed by the same people.

Posting on a FFXIAH.com message board about the implied immorality of Windower is a bit fundamentally flawed.

thank you jaerik.

complaining about windower is like calling the very people who use this site lazy *** because they cant make it to the AH or some ***
[+]
 Pandemonium.Luignata
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-05-12 22:57:27

So far we have people who use windower themselves and even admit that it helps them. I'm not arguing the amount of help windower gives, only the fact that it gives an advantage, no matter how small, over non-windowers. That's a fact you can't argue. If windower gave no advantage, then there would be no point in using it, and I'm sure no one would download a useless program and risk getting banned.

So just admit it. Windower gives an advantage, with the possibility (No matter how small) that it could effect the outcome of any in-game activity.
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-05-12 22:57:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
I will point out that the core components Windower and FFXIAH.com were developed by the same people.

^^^

Also, thanks again for such an awesome site. I visit it, literally, 400 times a day, even when Im taking a break from the game. :D
[+]
 Bahamut.Atrithk
Server: Bahamut
user: Atrithk
By Bahamut.Atrithk 2009-05-12 23:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:

Windower isn't "immoral," no objet defaults to "immoral." It just depends on how you use it. As I understand, those who developed Windower also made sure to keep some things out of Windower, correct? Things they could have done to make it better , but would provide too much of an unfair advantage.
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-12 23:01:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Luignata said:
So far we have people who use windower themselves and even admit that it helps them. I'm not arguing the amount of help windower gives, only the fact that it gives an advantage, no matter how small, over non-windowers. That's a fact you can't argue. If windower gave no advantage, then there would be no point in using it, and I'm sure no one would download a useless program and risk getting banned.

So just admit it. Windower gives an advantage, with the possibility (No matter how small) that it could effect the outcome of any in-game activity.

did a family member molest you when you were little or something?

it doesnt matter. its so insignificant no one cares.
[+]
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-12 23:04:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
Jaerik said:

Windower isn't "immoral," no objet defaults to "immoral." It just depends on how you use it. As I understand, those who developed Windower also made sure to keep some things out of Windower, correct? Things they could have done to make it better , but would provide too much of an unfair advantage.

Yes the windower team does leave out things. also they are the only ones who have access to source code for it, meaning only they make plugins.
 Asura.Ludoggy
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-05-12 23:04:40
Link | Quote | Reply

dam...Im a lazy **** =[
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-05-12 23:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Atrithk said:
Jaerik said:

My original post on the subject.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-05-12 23:07:44
Link | Quote | Reply

And guys? There is no absolute rule in the forums against profanity, but there is one against using it to excess. Tone it down a bit for me?
 Kujata.Houshisama
By Kujata.Houshisama 2009-05-12 23:10:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Jaerik said:
And guys? There is no absolute rule in the forums against profanity, but there is one against using it to excess. Tone it down a bit for me?

sorry, im a profane person in RL it slips in....... at least im not going @#$% @@#$ @%@$ %@@@ %^$& every word.
First Page 2 ... 16 17 18