Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Dynamis » angra mainyu tips
angra mainyu tips
 Shiva.Schatzie
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-02-07 05:47:57
Link | Quote | Reply

cant seem to find any party that can do this thing right... any tips on killing the ahriman ***?
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2012-02-07 06:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Off top based on how we killed it years ago, kite the dragons far while not taking any attack actions on the Eye.
Then just kill it, if you have a pet on it they'll chase it when it teleports to find it quickly.

I'm assuming this strat still applies in neo-dyna and that it could be done even easier.
 Asura.Ina
Server: Asura
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2012-02-07 06:35:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Since mobs repop I'm not sure if you can kite the dragons like before. Actually been wondering about this myself.
 Odin.Zelphes
Server: Odin
user: Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2012-02-07 06:44:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Assuming you mean the NQ boss, I've done this reliably with a setup of: BRD, WHM, THF, MNK with vere (me) several times. You can skip BRD if needed if your WHM is competent.

Have THF pop Boss, and flee-kite the adds. Try have kiter use outer rim of the area to avoid having adds accidently breath the tanker on boss. The tank/dd vokes off boss and engages. Whm assists whoever is on boss (removes grav etc) puts Dia2 on. Brd can assist kiter incase he gets hit with Curse, in which case he does Cursna (only reason a kiter dies). If he can keep up songs throughout the fight, thats great, if not. You can manage w/o it.

The tricky part is when Megaboss nearing 50% mark, he will chainspell death. So you would want him to CS when his intervall for warp is closing. Seems to have an intervall on how long you can engage him. Could be based on how much dmg taken too, not sure about that part. Just avoid doing any spike dmg near 50% mark if you just engaged boss. You would want him to CS then warp to avoid getting killed.

Tanker should run around in some form of movement speed to easier avoid death spells (takes some time to get off) During CS; no one should get near it to get hit by Death. Now after CS is over, he can still randomly cast death, but you can stun this. To quickly end this after CS, have DD 2hr/or go all out to kill it swiftly, I usually carry an IW for this part.

Angra Mainyu is actually really weak, and has low HP for being a boss. Any strong DD should do well on it.

Hope some of this help. GL!

-Edit have kiter bring holywaters to counter Curse.
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2012-02-07 06:46:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Siccmade said: »
Off top based on how we killed it years ago, kite the dragons far while not taking any attack actions on the Eye.
Then just kill it, if you have a pet on it they'll chase it when it teleports to find it quickly.

I'm assuming this strat still applies in neo-dyna and that it could be done even easier.
you do realize you get forced out of the entire battle if you run past ~100 yalms from the ??? yeah?

get a thf, have him pop, have like 2 pairs of powder boots and have flee up. Kite the dragons in a giant circle and don't suck. Meanwhile have everyone else just killage the eyeball, running after him when he warps. (If you have a pet job there, pets will automatically run after him afterward, so just follow them like a bloodhound.) Either chainspell stun the chainspell death, or get the hell out of Dodge for the duration of it.

of course if you have a smn, you can just get 3 wars and a brd and just perfect defense zerg and just not give a ***
By esojazrag12 2012-02-07 06:48:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Having a blu with Sudden lunge works wonders on the eye. The stun will usually last about a good 2-5secs.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2012-02-07 06:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Ina said: »
Since mobs repop I'm not sure if you can kite the dragons like before. Actually been wondering about this myself.

You can kite the dragons still, and they don't share hate like they used to pre-update.
 Sylph.Siccmade
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Siccmade 2012-02-07 07:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Wulfshadow said: »
Sylph.Siccmade said: »

you do realize you get forced out of the entire battle if you run past ~100 yalms from the ??? yeah?
Well yeah, I was just laying out the basic strat and that last part was assuming it would be adapted to neo-dyna.
 Bismarck.Helel
Server: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2012-02-07 07:44:07
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU + RDM (dualbox) + THF. BLU kills eye; THF kites dragons.

He chainspells @25%, not 50%. All you have to do is bring him close to 25%; when he starts to cast gravity, you quickly cast a spell to bring him below 25%; he will chainspell and warp away; kite the eye until chainspell is over; run back in range and kill.

THF should bring holy waters just in case.
 Shiva.Schatzie
Server: Shiva
user: itemset
By Shiva.Schatzie 2012-02-07 08:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

my LS wants to try and invincible tank the dragons while we zerg the eye with a bunch of sams ... viability of this idea?
 Carbuncle.Wulfshadow
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Wulfshadow 2012-02-07 08:09:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Schatzie said: »
my LS wants to try and invincible tank the dragons while we zerg the eye with a bunch of sams ... viability of this idea?
if the breaths they spam won't kill you, the only 30 second invulnerability timer on invincible will. it's a lot less of a headache to just bring a thf to constantly flee kite them.

if you're going for a zerg strategy just use perfect defense instead if you can find a smn.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2012-02-07 08:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Schatzie said: »
If you cs-stun it should be doable, if not - pretty sure it will warp out mid-zerg. Any decent geared pld can supertank all adds w/o 2hr
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2012-02-07 08:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Wulfshadow said: »
it's a lot less of a headache to just bring a thf to constantly flee kite them.

Def agree to this.
 Odin.Zelphes
By Odin.Zelphes 2012-02-07 08:44:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Helel said: »
He chainspells @25%, not 50%.

This seems to vary I suppose. The times I killed it, it tend to CS around 50% mark.

I do believe it can't CS above 50% HP though.
Server: Asura
By Asura.Ringmastersword 2012-02-07 09:05:00
Link | Quote | Reply

While it may be possible we got lucky but I did this fight a week or so ago and brought way more than needed. Two WAR using 2hr and a decent setup with GA (non empy) can pretty much ruin this instantly.

Build TP to 300 before you pop to make it easier, and if wanted have icc wings in case it doesn't fall in the two ws, but when I did this it had died almost where it popped. I was the one popping as thf and decided to try kitting it around the pillars nearby but by the time I got around the first one about 30 seconds latter it was over. I dont think we even really needed a healer.

TLDR: Bring 2-3 War, 2hr them at 300%TP, Thf kiter/popper, blu or any other job for stunner if worried while "Zerg". | win |
 Ragnarok.Jajabiondina
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Jajabiondina 2012-02-08 19:21:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Is not the badass it used to be, shaved off around 70% as sam before death, the rest of the pt wasnt even engaged yet.