Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » [dev1080] Job Adjustments: Thief
[dev1080] Job Adjustments: Thief
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-05 10:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

since thf has dual wield now I've been wondering how well thf/war works (I will soon have options for a dedicated healer, with multiboxing), it increase damage output enough to justify switching my dual off it's gimpy smn? (not calling smn gimp, just the character)
 Phoenix.Bomber
Server: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-02-05 10:22:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Jetackuu said: »
since thf has dual wield now I've been wondering how well thf/war works (I will soon have options for a dedicated healer, with multiboxing), it increase damage output enough to justify switching my dual off it's gimpy smn? (not calling smn gimp, just the character)
I assume you are talking about abyssea..well /war adds a lot of extra red procs and extra dmg i wouldnt use it for duo tanking big guys tho..unless ur a galka thf w/ full merited HP and such
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-05 10:25:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Bomber said: »
I assume you are talking about abyssea..well /war adds a lot of extra red procs and extra dmg i wouldnt use it for duo tanking big guys tho..unless ur a galka thf w/ full merited HP and such

in general, and more like general content, prolly dyna and other old crap.

nope hume, and merited MP...
 Ragnarok.Baconchips
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Baconchips 2012-02-05 10:35:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Liela said: »
Honestly, the only time my thf really comes out to play much anymore is for dynamis, and I'd rather /dnc for that. It's not such a waste of sneak/invis tools and meds, and gives you extra procs for staggers and the ability to cure yourself. But on the off-chance that the ls requests thf for voidwatch or something, I /nin. Those shadows have saved me more than once! Really though, that's pretty rare. Thf isn't too useful for voidwatch.

TH directly effects the drops in VW and I don't know a group that DOESN"T take a thief.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-05 10:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Thf/War works very well, but I still go /dnc in dyna since that's pretty much the easiest way to get procs(war only has voke).
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-05 10:42:28
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah, I still haven't gotten the concept of procs down, I've been mia for most of the new content...
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-02-05 10:42:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Everyone on odin thinks the same unfortunatly even when it says players treasure hunter effect raises lights by x%. I think ive been in 2 vw groups that have had thfs in them so stupid.
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-02-05 10:43:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Baconchips said: »
Odin.Liela said: »
Honestly, the only time my thf really comes out to play much anymore is for dynamis, and I'd rather /dnc for that. It's not such a waste of sneak/invis tools and meds, and gives you extra procs for staggers and the ability to cure yourself. But on the off-chance that the ls requests thf for voidwatch or something, I /nin. Those shadows have saved me more than once! Really though, that's pretty rare. Thf isn't too useful for voidwatch.

TH directly effects the drops in VW and I don't know a group that DOESN"T take a thief.

This is not the first Time i've heard this claim.

You have to understand, after going through the age of "THF Killshot", "Full time TH gear", "Synthesis effected by moonphase" etc etc... Do you mind if i ask you for proof of this?
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-05 10:47:01
Link | Quote | Reply

TH only adds 5% to lights if I remember correctly, it's not really a big deal.

yeah, I still haven't gotten the concept of procs down, I've been mia for most of the new content...
The trick is to go after nightmare mobs in dreamlands and cycle through JA-procable mobs and stagger them to get the loot.
Here a useful link.
 Odin.Creaucent
Server: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-02-05 10:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Yoy want proof? Do voidwatch with a thf in the party when you open the chest you will see a line saying players treasure hunter skill effect raises lights by x%. Yes the game actually tells you th effects the chest.

Edit: th raises light by the level it was on the mob so th6 = 6% th10 = 10%.
[+]
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-02-05 10:49:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

The trick is to go after nightmare mobs in dreamlands and cycle through JA-procable mobs and stagger them to get the loot.
Here a useful link.

its a % based off the TH Level.

TH9 gives +9% To all lights (From what i can tell, If your blue is 350%, It would give you about +32 (9% of 350). But it stops at the Soft cap (500, before Abyssites)
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-02-05 10:51:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Creaucent said: »
Yoy want proof? Do voidwatch with a thf in the party when you open the chest you will see a line saying players treasure hunter skill effect raises lights by x%. Yes the game actually tells you th effects the chest.

That wasn't the question. Though, I was unclear, and it could be my fault cause i may be misunderstanding his statement

Quote:

Treasure Hunter increases your lights, I guess i read him as saying it will actually increase drop rates beyond normal Light boosts. I could have read it wrong.

Basically, I was in a LS a while back who claimed TH directly impacted drop rate of stuff in VW (Beyond normal Lights), So when i saw him say this, I assume he was saying the same thing.

Was just wondering, if so, Could i have some sources quoted.
 Lakshmi.Aanalaty
Server: Lakshmi
user: Aanalaty
By Lakshmi.Aanalaty 2012-02-05 10:52:26
Link | Quote | Reply

It TELLS you in text what your TH is doing when the fight is over. "Aanalaty's treasure hunter effect raises ABC lights by X" where X is the max TH that got stuck on it. TH 5= +5% to all lights. So if you got 307% red light, now you have 313%. Apply to all lights and it DOESNT break the 350 cap. Same thing for rng and bounty shot.

So long as you cap lights (EV proc or just enough proc/damage with other procs) TH does jack ***. Nothing if lights are capped.

Oh, whats this? SE is changing VW so that red/blue will start capped (still need cells to maximize) in the future? /goodbye TH.

Not that im complaining, i really like the things SE is planning on doing to VW and think it will be a very positive adjustment, but if you think TH does anything then youd be mistaken. Any groups that require a thf before leaving PJ are just as stupid as people who wouldnt do a BCNM without a thf because 'Thf opens chest =more itemz!"

Thf in VW is DD at best with no procs. Dnc/Thf fills the same role and more procs. They need to retool how thf functions in VW for it to have a role that cant be filled by ANY other melee in the game better (i say better because anyone can DD, but every other DD has more proc opportunities than thf. Period.) VW is getting improved, but thf just doesnt really fit into the system as it is now.
Moreon topic: I LOVE the new merit adjustments for all jobs. It really levels the playing field between merit choices. There will be FAR less cookie cutter merit layouts than before. The fact that ambush is even in the discussion at ALL points out how much this will do for customization. 1AC, 1AS, 1Feint. last 7 wherever the hell you want. Me likey.
 Asura.Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-02-05 10:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

reread o-o i edited it to be more clear

Edit: Guy i was saying this too deleted lol
 Bahamut.Jetackuu
By Bahamut.Jetackuu 2012-02-05 10:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Sehachan said: »

Here a useful link.
I'll read later, thanks.

Trying to do this weeks homework and procrastinating...

(two classes that I find to be pretty damn stupid as the one isn't teaching me anything, and the other I kinda know most of it anyway...)
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-02-05 11:04:06
Link | Quote | Reply

TH does nothing for VW because everyone has capped lights before TH even counts in
By Creecreelo 2012-02-05 11:35:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mindi said: »
TH does nothing for VW because everyone has capped lights before TH even counts in

TH will probably give moar Cruor though!! >:D
 Cerberus.Mindi
Server: Cerberus
user: Mindi
By Cerberus.Mindi 2012-02-05 11:50:32
Link | Quote | Reply

yea it does w since noone trades Cells for cruror anyways. Ok on Ig-alima and Rex this could already be worth it XD
 Seraph.Gilhaven
Server: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2012-02-15 20:39:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I was just reading the update notes and didnt see this change added to thf...has it already been implemented prior to this update?
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-02-17 06:07:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I checked the merit points group 2 notes in game and didn't see any changes to the text... so im assuming the new updates have not been put on for thf...

Correct me if I am wrong.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-02-17 06:09:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It's coming with the next mini-update along with other merits adjustments~
 Carbuncle.Sambb
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-02-17 11:41:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks must have missed the notes apologies.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
Server: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-02-17 12:02:11
Link | Quote | Reply

So i never see the TH level when i fight a mob. and i recently took off all my chat filters. anyone know why it doesnt show? (on ps2 btw) is it only specific events or something?
 Bahamut.Aios
user: Kuhjata
By Bahamut.Aios 2012-02-24 18:05:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad to see we're getting some attention here.

Is there anyway you guys can separate Steal and Aura Steal? In my opinion, Aura Steal is the more important JA and based on the situation, it can be the difference between life and death. A lot of things don't really have anything to steal so it's not that badly.. But when I steal a piece of bone chips over ice spikes, it drives me crazy. Especially because even without steal+ gear, I will almost always steal the item before the spikes that deal damage to you and paralyze.

If it's too much trouble, how about we make a deal. You can delete despoil, and Aura Steal will take it's place. Sounds fair if you ask me.

Also separate recast timers for Accomp and Collab. I'd use them more if you did!

I'm not asking for a lot yeah?
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2012-02-24 18:38:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Phenomena said: »
So i never see the TH level when i fight a mob. and i recently took off all my chat filters. anyone know why it doesnt show? (on ps2 btw) is it only specific events or something?

I don't know how often you play thief so I apologize if I'm dumbing this down but it only appears in the chat log when you proc a higher level. So if I start with my TH7 gear on and throughout the fight I don't proc to TH8 nothing will appear in the chat log. With the frequency of proccing a higher level being extremely low you may just be unlucky. If you're expecting to see an initial TH level in the chat log when you begin a fight that won't happen.