[dev1072] Job Adjustments: Dark Knight
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7
 Fenrir.Minjo
Server: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-24 21:54:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say "that's not how you're supposed to have fun!" is a pretty sound catalyst for pointless bickering.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-24 21:58:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I just don't see why others have to enforce it upon every single new event.

You don't do the best damage? You can't join us then. Your gear sets aren't up to standards yet? You can't join us then.

Even when the event doesn't require the level of damage people are asking for. This prevents unpopular jobs from joining any event through popular means unless they need them to proc something, and players with incomplete gear sets from doing the events they wish to take part in.

Killing faster will be better for everyone, it still prevents other jobs from joining in if all people expect is the best all the damn time.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-24 22:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Nothing is forcing you to do events with anybody. As far as I'm concerned, you're basically parroting the "that's not how you're supposed to have fun!" line with a little more elaboration.

Most people will recognize that output is a combination of the player, the job, and gear, and make a decision based on all 3 and the needs of the group. If there's an issue and you can genuinely say you're not being selfish about it... Hate the game, not the player.
 Sylph.Kimble
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-24 22:09:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Usually, most groups really don't care and just want to bring people that arent stupid.

As long as you can play the job you enjoy well and not *** up bad enough to cause a wipe, people will take you.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-24 22:11:40
Link | Quote | Reply

To be fair, most of the people who *** about this have much more than job selection issues going on and just don't want to admit it.

To which I say: Hi, I'm a BLU main. Problem?
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-24 22:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kalilla said: »
I just don't see why others have to enforce it upon every single new event.

Gonna' stop you right there. Anyone with half of a brain does nothing of the sort beyond proc necessities and, as it used to pertain to primary content, jobs without crit. WS in Abyssea.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-24 22:13:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Still think people are comparing damage output too much for what the game is now, nothing right now needs that level of damage to succeed.

Yet the other day the pick up group I was in decided to not invite some random player because of a parse some random alliance member took, when it shouldn't even be that much of an issue to begin with when you're doing easy VW fights.

If you still think I'm crying out "that's not how you're supposed to have fun!" then fine, but if you can kill something relatively quickly then why should it have to come to that?
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-24 22:14:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Still think people are comparing damage output too much for what the game is now, nothing right now needs that level of damage to succeed.

Yet the other day the pick up group I was in decided to not invite some random player because of a parse some random alliance member took, when it shouldn't even be that much of an issue to begin with when you're doing easy VW fights.

If you still think I'm crying out "that's not how you're supposed to have fun!" then fine, but if you can kill something relatively quickly then why should it have to come to that?

Perhaps they didn't take him because he is a bad player? Parse doesn't mean much but it can support that. Id rather not bring crap players just to fill a spot.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-24 22:15:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Because I value my time and don't enjoy taking the full 30 minutes to kill a VWNM. Differing definitions of fun again.
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-24 22:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

If absolutely everyone goes to an event on a silly job, the issue is going to become very obvious. You have to draw the line somewhere.
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-24 22:28:52
Link | Quote | Reply

You three bring up good points, I just feel bad about judging someone off a parse and from what some random player says about another.

It probably is true that they were horrible, but I don't know that. Maybe I just care too damn much.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-24 22:32:20
Link | Quote | Reply

There aren't even that many bad jobs anymore. PUP, THF, BST, and DRG are the only DDs that I can think of that have a hard time being sufficient at their roles while offering very little in terms of procs. The top 5 DDs (WAR, SAM, DRK, MNK, BLU) offer not only more than acceptable levels of damage, but also offer a variety of procs and are worth the slot more than the "underdogs" 95% of the time.

Anyone outside of those five either lie in the nearly useless category, or sufficient but not exemplary. If I have slots in my alliance, sure, bring your PUP THF DRG BST etc., but if I need to flesh out my procs and get people to actually get the job done in an efficient manner, I don't want to hear whining about, "But I have more fun on such and such"!

Btw, I, personally, only use parses to exclude people if I have a reliable set of data, or if they were complete trash. I had a Ukon WAR using no proc weaponskills at all who parsed 4.04% at a Qilin run that I did the other night. That is simply unacceptable.
 Caitsith.Eriina
Server: Caitsith
user: Eriina
By Caitsith.Eriina 2012-01-24 22:38:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess I was thinking of utility as it relates to taking care of other players, dealing with unfavorable to moves, ability to survive/take care of yourself in a lowman situation and (as you memtioned, love em or leave em) proc systems. 

I'm actually doing a pretty good job of refuting myself here as far as what a war is and isnt capable of.  There are various NMs and job combination that favor jobs that have sleep capabilities, damage mitigation, innate cure ability, stuns, etc but most of those same situation a war can do fine as well with the proper support member or sub job.  

I guess any of those situations that are tailored to suit hybrid jobs unique abilities can be refuted with, "well what if I just 2 shot it on war?" or "what if I just 1 shot the entire group with FC?" but some how I don't feel like that's always the answer every time. I tend to see more wars smashing stuff down with a 2boxed whm than i see wars standing alone doing stuff. You can also end the conversation by saying "I'm not interested in doing older content lowman or solo" but that brings us back to what I said originally. 

When it comes to a lot of tertiary content and a lot of mobs either go down in a few hits anyway or have some move that just killing it faster doesnt deal with, the question for me is less "why wouldn't I do that on war?" and more "why would I?"
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-24 22:39:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure when BLU made it into the top 5 of DD when people generally always looked down on them. PUP actually brings more procs to the table then mnk while still offering solid DD.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-24 22:44:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd go into depth about it, but you'll have to deal with bits and pieces for now.

-Ability to sub WAR, giving access to:
*Attack Bonus
*Double Attack
*Berserk
*Aggressor
*Warcry

-Ability to set the following natural traits:
*Triple Attack
*Store TP
*Dual Wield III

-Access to a very powerful crit-based weaponskill with a highly favorable WSC.

-Access to a high attack and weaponskill frequency, coupled with a strong Aftermath effect from Almace.

-Access to powerful equipment.
*This allows for a very favorable critical hit rate, usually within reach or attaining capped dDEX on 95% of targets.
*This also allows capped haste and a large amount of multiattack enhancements, up to 29% Double Attack and 11% Triple Attack.

-Access to a bevy of utility spells to enfeeble the monster (DEF down, MDEF down, EVA down) and enhance damage/defenses.

BLU has come a very, very long way from 75. It's about time people dropped the stigmas and opened their eyes. Same can be said for DRK, although they didn't have to come quite as far to become adequate.
[+]
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-24 22:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

But you should be tanking with MNK anyways.
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2012-01-24 22:50:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said: »
Not sure when BLU made it into the top 5 of DD when people generally always looked down on them. PUP actually brings more procs to the table then mnk while still offering solid DD.

Only fools would look down upon BLU!
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-24 22:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Having Draylo all about BLU all the time doesn't really help the argument. :P
 Asura.Karbuncle
Server: Asura
user: Karbuncle
By Asura.Karbuncle 2012-01-24 23:14:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
I'd go into depth about it, but you'll have to deal with bits and pieces for now.

-Ability to sub WAR, giving access to:
*Attack Bonus
*Double Attack
*Berserk
*Aggressor
*Warcry

-Ability to set the following natural traits:
*Triple Attack
*Store TP
*Dual Wield III

-Access to a very powerful crit-based weaponskill with a highly favorable WSC.

-Access to a high attack and weaponskill frequency, coupled with a strong Aftermath effect from Almace.

-Access to powerful equipment.
*This allows for a very favorable critical hit rate, usually within reach or attaining capped dDEX on 95% of targets.
*This also allows capped haste and a large amount of multiattack enhancements, up to 29% Double Attack and 11% Triple Attack.

-Access to a bevy of utility spells to enfeeble the monster (DEF down, MDEF down, EVA down) and enhance damage/defenses.

BLU has come a very, very long way from 75. It's about time people dropped the stigmas and opened their eyes. Same can be said for DRK, although they didn't have to come quite as far to become adequate.

Outside of the Utility spells, THF can do pretty much... All of that. Except higher Triple Attack and less Double Attack (though we can get about 23% Double Attack on top of our 19%~20% Triple Attack)

Only problem with THF in voidwatch is the non-existent exclusive procs (DNC can cover all dagger). And TH, its bread and butter, being useless.

This isn't an "Anti-BLU" post... THF is pretty useless in voidwatch in terms of what uniqueness it brings to the table, But its got good DD Potential when geared right. Just like BLU >_>
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-24 23:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

THF doesn't have CDC.
 Siren.Delirium
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2012-01-24 23:48:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Minjo said: »
THF doesn't have CDC.

Evisceration is equivalent to CDC outside/inside Abyssea as far as damage goes. CDC does allow for the Aftermath by which Rudra's Storm is yet another option and with the crazy amount of TP gain a well geared thf has alternating between Rudra's and Evisceration is an option to maintain the aftermath.

Or just be a baller and Mandau it up
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-24 23:50:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Delirium said: »
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
THF doesn't have CDC.

Evisceration is equivalent to CDC outside/inside Abyssea as far as damage goes.

You wish it were, sure.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-01-24 23:55:12
Link | Quote | Reply

5.25 fTP, 60% DEX mod, 15% base critrate, plenty of breathing room for triple + double or 2x triple attacks, and superior skillchain properties vs 6.0 fTP, 30% DEX mod, 10% base critrate, 6 hits native (including DW), and having to alternate with an inferior weaponskill in order to maintain aftermath.

Yeah, okay.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2012-01-25 00:04:22
Link | Quote | Reply

So, is blue a better DD than DRG?
 Phoenix.Bomber
Server: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-01-25 00:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Prothescar said: »
There aren't even that many bad jobs anymore. PUP, THF, BST, and DRG are the only DDs that I can think of that have a hard time being sufficient at their roles while offering very little in terms of procs. The top 5 DDs (WAR, SAM, DRK, MNK, BLU) offer not only more than acceptable levels of damage, but also offer a variety of procs and are worth the slot more than the "underdogs" 95% of the time.

Anyone outside of those five either lie in the nearly useless category, or sufficient but not exemplary. If I have slots in my alliance, sure, bring your PUP THF DRG BST etc., but if I need to flesh out my procs and get people to actually get the job done in an efficient manner, I don't want to hear whining about, "But I have more fun on such and such"!

Btw, I, personally, only use parses to exclude people if I have a reliable set of data, or if they were complete trash. I had a Ukon WAR using no proc weaponskills at all who parsed 4.04% at a Qilin run that I did the other night. That is simply unacceptable.
Top 5 DDs that only swing weapons i assume? nvm BLUs there so magic casting ones apply too so why isnt BLM there? >_>a
 Siren.Kalilla
VIP
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-01-25 00:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

That's like saying DRK can cast magic so BLM applies o.o;
 Phoenix.Bomber
Server: Phoenix
user: Bomber
By Phoenix.Bomber 2012-01-25 00:29:19
Link | Quote | Reply

That's like saying DRK can cast magic so BLM applies o.o;
Eggxactly!
By Starkzz 2012-01-25 00:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

a good blu sits there with ton of proc spells set ready to be called for proc'ing. Thx.
[+]
By Fupafighters 2012-01-25 00:41:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Kimble said: »
So, is blue a better DD than DRG?
No.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2012-01-25 00:42:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ignoring the obvious troll who probably doesn't even play the game:

THF can't get close to BLU.

Yeah, I'd put BLU over DRG quite handily.

BLM can put out decent enough damage, but it can't get close to any of the DDs that I listed, unless it's not proccing at all.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7