Drg Or Drk. Wut You Think?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » drg or drk. wut you think?
drg or drk. wut you think?
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-04-10 12:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
To Mogue:

I'd put Tachi: Enpi up there with Double Thrust.

Enpi is very strong early, also. I'd really have to crunch the numbers to show where DT comes out ahead, but it does, slightly. IIRC, Enpi becomes substantially less impressive in the 30s and 40s.

Please don't interpret what I'm saying to mean other jobs are weak when played properly. It just pisses me off when people +1 posting rediculously bad information.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-04-10 12:08:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I agree that DT is the strongest, just saying Enpi and even combo are pretty strong early WS's.

And yeah, its Eternius, so don't get yourself too worked up about what he posts. Or you'll be mad all day. I mean he is the guy that claims TP'ing in Alky's is better than dusk.
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2009-04-10 12:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

well. with all of this being said is it necessary to have /dnc and /sam for both? these are the only two jobs i don't have a /sub level yet ; ;. not that its that big a deal, just wondering...... as far as zerg's go. my rng does just fine in any zerg i've been a part of >.>
 Alexander.Antonaki
Server: Alexander
user: Antonaki
By Alexander.Antonaki 2009-04-10 12:16:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Phatstackodax said:
I'd like to take cost for gear into consideration for this too. I realize drg does not have many choices. So does that make the only gear available more or less $$$?

If you do Nyzul, ZNM, Limbus you need not worry about millions of gil for gearing up DRG, even the new bodies added in ACP can give drg a haub now.
 Seraph.Blindkarma
Server: Seraph
By Seraph.Blindkarma 2009-04-10 12:16:52
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG wont ever need to /dnc for anything, /sam is one of the best subs you could have after 60 for both jobs (along with /war). DRK /dnc is coo for screw'n aroun i guess.
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-04-10 12:21:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Unrepentant said:
Kungfuhustle said:
OMFGWTFZERG! DRKs.... What can DRG do, JUMP? LMFAOOMFGTHISISNTWoW!!!

Spoken as someone who's never done either. As some have said, both can be fun. As for gear costs I think the basic gear is more expensive for DRK since the best "easy to obtain" body piece for DRG is Assault Jerkin and anything better is r/ex as well. As for end game I know I have to go to all god type fights as DRG for Angon but we do have DRKs that go to things not just to zerg because they can still bust out big #'s.
And unlike the quoted moron, I have both at 75 and have a least a little bit of a clue of what goes on.

Well excuse the *** outta me for voicing my opinion. I actually enjoy playing DRK, I've enjoyed it even before hearing about the whole DRKZerg stuff.

Anyway, since your DRG is 43 already, take that one to 75 then start DRK, form your own opinion about the two jobs afterward.
 Odin.Ravax
Server: Odin
user: Ravax
By Odin.Ravax 2009-04-10 12:21:25
Link | Quote | Reply

The biggest advantage I'd give Dragoon over Dark Knight is its versatility by subjob. A good dark knight...well. They can really do some amazing things. I always underestimated the job's usefulness until I started playing a lot with my friend Jess. His gear and strategy when playing the job is second to none. The problem is, I don't think his play-style would be possible before 75. As far as leveling goes, get ready to be resisted like crazy on your spells. Your DoT will obviously be fine, though.

Dragoon is a lot more laid back if you want to perform well with it. You won't need to carry a lot of different gears around with you and like everyone here has said, it's pretty cheap to be well equipped as a Drg. Other than that, I give it a thumbs up for its soloing style. This is probably the most fun I've had alone in the game period. Soloing Fields of Valor are very good ways to get exp up and have fun. Being a taru would bring about concern but I think if you concentrate on HP + gear over all else, it'd improve your survivability a lot. Anything to make that razor's edge Drg has to ride a little wider, ya know?

As far as endgame goes, I don't think my opinion is typical. I'm mostly an ToAU end gamer so I see a lot of usefulness in all the jobs for Salvage. Just about anything that'd be useful in that arena would be good in Limbus, too, if that's your field.
 Fenrir.Phatstackodax
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Phatstackodax 2009-04-10 12:22:11
Link | Quote | Reply

what about dynamis gear? does either job *need* any? cuz i hate dynamis and i'm currently working on a full homam set (1/5 only so far) but i figure by the time i get either there i'll be done. znm and nyzul gear will be easy enough to obtain ^_^ (w/e drop rates suck i know)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-10 12:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK:
+ Crushingly strong later
+ Versatile and desired in most endgame events
+ The DRK Zerg. Don't really need to justify this one.
+ Very high accuracy/attack
+ Two different grade A weapons with different characteristics
+ Fairly easy to 6hit at 75
- Not much in the way of solo potential
- Low invite rate
- Very weak when /nin
- Expensive

DRG:
+ Strong throughout entire exping period
+ Moderate demand for endgame events
+ Angon! Very desirable for zerg and useful for general situations.
+ Very versatile, with the ability to heal/DD
+ Solo potential
+ Very high accuracy
- Fairly difficult to 6hit at 75
- Weak when /nin

There's a load more stuff but I'm lazy. Ignore people saying loldrg or loldrk though, both are very formidable jobs.
[+]
 Asura.Bodhisattvah
Server: Asura
By Asura.Bodhisattvah 2009-04-10 12:26:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, since drk was my first 75 and drg is soon to be my second, I might as well give some input here.

My first plan was to level them simultaneously, but this was early in my FFXI career and I didn't have the gil to be able to sustain two different sets of gear, even if there was nothing expensive at all about either of them. Yeah. I was pretty poor.

Drg's gear choices really are somewhat limited compared to other DD, but they do have access to body armor like brigandine, jaridah and of course the scorpion harness. It gets much better at 70 with the barone set, but barone is expensive (by my standards anyway) save for the shorts, so I'd tell you to just hit up Onzozo with some people and get an assault jerkin. I wear barone body myself, because I got lucky in some BCNMs one day and sold a bunch of things I don't need, and I'd prefer the constant regen and TP bonus for jumps (I get about 20% off it now), but not everybody is willing to pay 800-900k to look pretty.

One thing I would notice is that my parties on drg would be great, as in I got the hell out of Qufim in less than three hours, but I'd jump on drk and be perpetually frustrated by the groups I got, if I even got one at all. This was before level 30 in both of them, though, and way back in the day where the stigmas surrounding both of them hadn't faded yet. When I hit around 30 in both of them something made me take drk and run with it.

I think they both have their functionality in any given situation, endgame or not. Judging by the OP's other jobs I think he would benefit more from drk and its magic to give him something other to do than swing a weapon at a squishy little pink toucan, but then again, if all he's looking at is fun, then I'd say to go drg. Drk's slow invites pretty much suck all the excitement out of it, and it took me a lot of time, persistence, and dedication to be a level 75 Dark Knight.

Also, both drk/sam and drg/sam are pretty godly and I highly, highly recommend you have it available for a sub for both of them. And don't concern yourself too much when it comes to the dynamis gear for both of them, but I wouldn't try to avoid it either. They're both decent sets. You could just be like me and do both, after all.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-10 12:29:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Giving a DRK perspective on Dynamis gear...

Head: lol
Body: lol
Hands: Dark Magic macro if you don't have Crimson
Legs: Dark Magic macro
Feet: lol [maybe Enfeebling Magic macro if it bothers you that much]
 Lakshmi.Strey
Server: Lakshmi
user: Strey
By Lakshmi.Strey 2009-04-10 12:29:32
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont know if anyone has stated this yet because I havent read all the posts, but unless you make ptys in my exsperience being lfp will be annoying. I like DRK at 75 best and all the drains and dreadspikes are fun to mess with. on the otherhand once you start on colbri camps people will be looking for you as drg and be a top choice for ptying. Drg is also fun at 75 all your preference really :P I usally can only tell if I will or wont like a dd when I hit lv60+
 Seraph.Blindkarma
By Seraph.Blindkarma 2009-04-10 12:34:51
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK dynamis gear... Pretty much crap. Has some nice dark magic skill on some pieces if you like to tack that ***on your magic.

DRG dynamis gear... Better than most would give credit.

Wyrm Armet (head)- Makes wyvern breaths stronger, includes Healing breath.

Wyrm Mail (body)- Imparts job traits to wyvern (double attack, store tp, etc.) only worn when calling wyvern.

Wyrm Fng Gauntlets (hands)- Well... if you aint using nothin for haste the 5 acc is coo...

Everything else is trash.
 Carbuncle.Ranbu
Server: Carbuncle
user: Ranbu
By Carbuncle.Ranbu 2009-04-10 12:57:44
Link | Quote | Reply

DRK = <3
lvl it up to 30 and do Last resort, berserk, Soul Eater fighting a IT+ mob..watch your HP :D
 Seraph.Greyfin
user: Greyfin
By Seraph.Greyfin 2009-04-10 13:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I still say you should just flip a coin!

Either way, take both up to sub level at least, they both make great sub jobs!
 Shiva.Thedevilsson
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Thedevilsson 2009-04-10 13:25:00
Link | Quote | Reply

DRG need wyrm helm if you /whm alot it helps a whole lot and /sam is a must for drg
 Remora.Kiishim
Server: Remora
user: Kiishim
By Remora.Kiishim 2009-04-10 13:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Well from experiencing them both, I'd go with DRG.

DRG is sooooooo fun. You get a good amount of invites once you hit 54. You tear through colibri like crazy. I can get in a party with a PLD. They voke and flash. I hit once, then use jump and I have hate, or I get a double attack. DRK is just.. bleh. Nothing special about it. They don't get a good WS till 60 (66 if you use GS). DRG gets jumps to play with, which also help you lose hate and be able to WS at the start of a fight, instead of holding in all that tp from the last battle until the tank gets more hate. DRK gets spells.. Whoopie! Once you hit 60, they're pretty much worthless, aside from stun. Colibri will reflect it back and NOTHING will land on an imp.

Also, DRK doesn't get good invites at ANY level.

So unless you have a KC or a M. Kris for endgame stuff, go DRG. Trust me, you'll have a million times more fun.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ericcheco
user: Checo
By Bahamut.Ericcheco 2009-04-10 13:49:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Both these jobs are probably the best if geared out right but remember this.

There are two types of dragoons...

1.LOLDRG (that show up in there AF thinking its the best thing since 5 dollar footlongs[SH+rest of AF is included in this])

2.OMGDRG- Heca, homam, HQ gear and all that rest of the stuff a decent sub job selection, and A MUST IS DRAKESBANE, if you do not have a high nyzle record, or don't plan on getting that Ws in some short time when you hit 75 drg...don't bother leveling it, you will be disappointed-WHEN you see a 75war out penta thrust you ... its sad.

DRK on the other hand ... its beautiful, you can use a lot of the best weapons in the game and reinforcing it with merits you can wield a hefty verity of weapons. Dread spikes opened up new doors for drk, if done right they can easily survive a hate misplace situation. Stun-always beautiful, Absorb TP- is sex.
 Remora.Kiishim
Server: Remora
user: Kiishim
By Remora.Kiishim 2009-04-10 13:54:55
Link | Quote | Reply

The spells are great but pretty worthless while meriting. Plus, chances are on HNMs and stuff, you'll just get resisted.

In parties a DRG and DRK geared as similar as possible, the DRG will probably always win. They have naturally higher acc, jumps, and a pet wyvern that deals about 40 extra damage for every one swing of the DRG. Nobody likes to recognize the wyvern. =( PLUS! Breath damage from WSs. At 75 they can do up to 300 damage or so depending on which element.
 Pandemonium.Aravol
Server: Pandemonium
user: aravol
By Pandemonium.Aravol 2009-04-10 13:54:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I would agree with DRK. <---75drk
They can be versatile with alot ofdifferent subjobs. True they can use more weopons and have access to Magic which is priceless. Absorb spells, aspir, drain spells are nice to haveat our disposal. Stun and Weopon Bash are great tools to temporary tank if u need to
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-10 14:00:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, to the DRK vs DRG accuracy debate at 75... in most cases when you are maintaining a 6hit on DRG, you will be sacrificing accuracy in the body slot, which will bring your accuracy down. Throw in a DRK's Diabolic Eye/Fire Bomblet/Perdu weapon and potentially Ebody for the very top DRKs, and DRK will have more accuracy.

If you don't have 6hit, you're gonna lose to a DRK with one easily, anyway.
 Odin.Kraytos
Server: Odin
user: Tyseng
By Odin.Kraytos 2009-04-10 15:10:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Let me be the first to tell you...

LOLDRG

ignore the loldrg's you see. drg is good dd, but if i were you i'd go drk, and if you go endgame there is a lot more gear available for drk
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2009-04-10 15:21:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:
Actually, to the DRK vs DRG accuracy debate at 75... in most cases when you are maintaining a 6hit on DRG, you will be sacrificing accuracy in the body slot, which will bring your accuracy down. Throw in a DRK's Diabolic Eye/Fire Bomblet/Perdu weapon and potentially Ebody for the very top DRKs, and DRK will have more accuracy.

If you don't have 6hit, you're gonna lose to a DRK with one easily, anyway.

Often overlooked is that DRG has 2 tiers of Accuracy Bonus (totalling +22 Acc).

That said, EBody DRK is probably going to win against any non-relic DRG gearset. Anything short of that and it is a very close race.

Also, imho, there are only two situations where you should gear DRG explicitly for a 6-hit:

a) Gungnir + Askar (and this is still outclassed by the non-6-hit Gungnir + Ares)

b) v.fork + Aurum

Anything else and you lose too much to make it worthwhile. I've tried making Askar "work" with 3/5 Homam, but in the end with no acc in that slot performance is plainly subpar.
 Asura.Farmdog
user: Farmdog
By Asura.Farmdog 2009-04-10 15:37:26
Link | Quote | Reply

I would say DRG, especially since you have that many more levels with it already. DRK was the first job I leveled over 30 and I truely regretted it. I got it to 60 and pretty much stopped there, now it's at 66 and very very slowly going. Later I leveled DRG to 40 and want to start it up again to finish it to 75. DRK is a fairly complicated job to play and I think DRG is much easier. I remember when I came back to play DRK after not using it for awhile I sucked at it and it took a while to remember how to play it best. DRK can pull lots of hate on yourself and atleast with DRG you can lose that hate with jumps if you accumulate too much, but it's your preference depending on your style of play, GL!
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-04-10 15:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Farmdog said:
I sucked at it

Coming from a SAM using Amir body and Hachiman Hakama+1. Enough said.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-04-10 15:42:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, depends largely on the mob in question + buffs etc. You lose about 7.5% acc (a lot less if you use Aurum Cuirass) which is 7.9% DoT/WS frequency at best case scenario and gain 16.7% WS frequency (negating TP overflow, Jump TP, assuming you WS at a perfect 100% each time etc so less in reality).

It's basically 7.9% DoT vs 8.8% WS frequency which would depend on your distribution. If you are above 87.5% with 6hit you'll win out though, and similiarly if you're at less... good chance you won't.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-04-10 15:46:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Would you rather hear "loldrg" or "lolemo"
I'll pick loldrg>lolemo
Atleast you can make jokes about {Penta thrust}
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-04-10 15:55:59
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Farmdog said:
I sucked at it

Coming from a SAM using Amir body and Hachiman Hakama+1. Enough said.

I like the whole set together.
I'd wear it in Besieged and scream "GENERAL HASEYO HAS FALLEN" then die.
 Ragnarok.Rusko
Server: Ragnarok
user: Rusko
By Ragnarok.Rusko 2009-04-10 15:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ludoggy said:
Would you rather hear "loldrg" or "lolemo"
I'll pick loldrg>lolemo
Atleast you can make jokes about {Penta thrust}

yep its a rule to have some sort of *** raping macro as a drg. of course way way back in the day i used to have cris cross's dont my hits make my people wanna jump jump as my jump macro... but then i relized jump macros were kinda noobish lol...
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 8 9 10