Dark Ring Farming
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-04-11 16:47:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cap lights, etc etc etc. Once that's done, what's the most effective way of ripping through mobs in Konschtat? Fell Cleaving seems to work okay but the only mobs that don't give ruby lights are saplings and they tend to lose interest quickly, not to mention Slumber Powder. I ended up giving up on the FC and just ran around bludgeoning them to death individually, solo, for a few hours with regen atmas on. As far as jobs go, our group has an abundance, so we can improvise. What's your most effective way of farming Dark Rings?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-11 17:07:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Cleave with a job that can use Cataclysm, Aeolian Edge, or AoE magic so that you don't build undesirable lights. Slimes and Tonberries are good target mobs.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-11 17:11:53
Link | Quote | Reply

never farmed dark rings before, should amber be capped? or do the good dark rings appear at lower amber levels?

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-11 17:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

k thanks :) hasn't been one of my priorities but eventually I'll need to farm some nice ones. I never exp'd there my server seemed to always go in Tahrongi before scars came out

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-11 17:42:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I think for at least that farm in specific overpowered amber could only count against you because the big gold chest could be a KI where as the small ones cant so you would get proportionately less augmented items as some will be ki's. Although overall ive seen many augmented items in big gold chests as well. My 7 int ring was from a big chest with very high amber about 6-8 big gold chests per aga 10-16 mobs 60% ish (mostly big ones), 30% blue 10% red.

Took me 1 duo farm on mnk with a rdm to get goetia neck, varangian helm refresh hairpin and i think it was 18 dark rings before getting 2 with -5 mdt one has -4pdt also. Rdm stayed for azure and first few bakkas then had to go luckily returned bout 5 hours later and scored fresh hairpin, total time 8 hours but some afk.

Since then I returned solo as blu/whm for another hairpin took about 5 hours again I saw about 10-12 dark rings most were 2-3% pdt/mdt or breath dmg. That was just single kills at funguar as they drop stacks of shrooms you can sell for 120k. Single kill speed isnt very satisfying imo its just a shame the zone doesnt have spectators/monitors which imo on blu is easiest mob to farm ki or item gold chests on.

Oh and tenshodo the crappy dark rings makes nice gil.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-11 17:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

wait, i thought the hairpin and dark rings were always in separate zones(kon vs la theine), did i misread what you're saying krs?
[+]
 Ramuh.Lorzy
Server: Ramuh
user: Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-11 17:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

no, hairpin and dark rings are the same zone.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-11 17:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

lol wtf nice, just further proof I haven't tried to farm them yet.. I was putting off because I thought it was hairpins in La Theine and Dark Rings in Kon thanks for the heads up :)

Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-11 17:51:36
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah i make a point to do as many staff trials in konschtat as i can :P have a refresh pin and one nice dark ring, still need a better second ring.
 Ramuh.Lorzy
By Ramuh.Lorzy 2011-04-11 17:52:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
La theine is the one with treasure hunter + mage gear
you can also get fastcast on jeweled collars, which are all jobs.
 Phoenix.Chomeymatt
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Chomeymatt 2011-04-11 17:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Saw you had Ninja Tikal, could always NIN/DNC, cap pearl, azure, amber on T1 VNMs / Ephemeral mobs. Then once done just kill saplings near 2 since they go down relatelively fast. I usually go BLM/RDM can cap all 3 lights easily then proceed to puddings near 6.

Post deleted by User.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2011-04-11 17:56:23
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm.. maybe this will be come a higher priority for me in my limited free time :P
 Sylph.Krsone
Server: Sylph
user: Basilo
By Sylph.Krsone 2011-04-11 18:03:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Time to gil reward ratio 5-6 mdt/pdt rings aside imo its probably more rewarding doing this and npc'ing dark rings 35k a pop than spamming bcnm for pcc or ni. Could get lucky and get both but I mean overall the average time/ drop rate/reward of bcnm/ksnm vs a gold chest abys farm id go with abys. Mainly konst and heroes zones are most profitable although gil from gules/lore and diamond rings soon adds up too. I usually go with 55 inv space still never feels like its enough.
 Cerberus.Tikal
Server: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-04-11 18:05:50
Link | Quote | Reply

With capped lights on WAR, I rip through Saplings like no other. If I don't 1-shot them, they die in 2-3 swings after. I have a hard time capping my lights solo, but farming lights with others and getting mass TE on WAR is more efficient I feel, if I'm going to solo.

I'll take the Slimes into consideration. Do they aggro/link and weak to Aeolian? Tonberries seem... less desirable for a melee like myself. Low HP or something?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-04-11 18:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Chomeymatt said:
Saw you had Ninja Tikal, could always NIN/DNC, cap pearl, azure, amber on T1 VNMs / Ephemeral mobs. Then once done just kill saplings near 2 since they go down relatelively fast. I usually go BLM/RDM can cap all 3 lights easily then proceed to puddings near 6.
There's absolutely no reason to /DNC with capped azure. Use temps if you take damage and kill faster with /WAR.
 Bahamut.Dasva
Server: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-11 18:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

What about say rdm Aoelian soloing? Would that work well? What mobs would work best
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2011-04-11 18:45:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Lorzy said:
Bismarck.Josiahfk said:
La theine is the one with treasure hunter + mage gear
you can also get fastcast on jeweled collars, which are all jobs.
I got a decent collar with INt and fastcast +2

yays*
 Siren.Zeroburning
Server: Siren
By Siren.Zeroburning 2011-04-11 18:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

ive went in there and to me best that drops the gold chest is Wivre i went in there for 2 hours and came out with 27 darkrings
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-11 18:50:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Dasva said:
What about say rdm Aoelian soloing? Would that work well? What mobs would work best

Use BLU!
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-11 18:51:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Bahamut.Dasva said:
Use BLU!
Why? Also what about my question?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-04-11 18:57:02
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU is like the king of AoE burning. And it'd work. As for which mobs, Konschtat is awkward. I like tonberries.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
Server: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2011-04-11 18:58:27
Link | Quote | Reply

BLU setup to whisker burn can get ~4000 in scars zones to all mobs in range. I can pull a ton of mobs, Dream Flower > Whisker > Whirl > A. Burst > Dream Flower > T. Pulse. Anything that isn't dead set a few single targets or just whirl again. That way you can farm pretty much anything since you want azure lights for TE/Restore/Items boxes anyways.
 Bahamut.Dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2011-04-11 18:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
BLU is like the king of AoE burning. And it'd work. As for which mobs, Konschtat is awkward. I like tonberries.
Yeah but I'm soloing so kinda looking to holding tons of mobs while taking no dmg and doing more amber dmg. Possibly slightly afk
 Gilgamesh.Jsbahamut
user: JSbahamut
By Gilgamesh.Jsbahamut 2011-04-11 19:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

As said before, Wivre have a very high drop rate on gold chests, making them a good target. They shouldn't be hard to Aeolian cleave as RDM, even at max level, given you have a good PDT set.
Pretty much the same idea as BLU cleave. I don't know what would make BLU superior to RDM though.
 Siren.Zeroburning
Server: Siren
By Siren.Zeroburning 2011-04-11 19:01:43
Link | Quote | Reply

a good blm with right set up and max pdt can chain pull almost everything
First Page 2 3 4 5