Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22384 22385 22386 ... 22553 22554 22555
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-03-23 15:38:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vyre said: »
We live in an age where video games are no longer for the enthusiasts that grew the hobby till it burgeoned into the mainstream. We live in an age where games are controlled by corporate interests, not creatives.
Yep, unfortunately.

And I mean, I get it how it appeals to the masses. I'll never be able to enjoy it as much as I try, but I'm also not going to tell people they aren't allowed to enjoy it.

But Jiminy Cricket, I really wish people could see it the other way around as well. Too many people making too many assumptions and too many influencers feeding people too many opinions. I will never forget the time my 'friend' implied I was delusional for liking a game.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-23 15:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ain't no goin back. Only going to get worse.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-03-23 15:47:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
Ain't no goin back. Only going to get worse.
That's fine. At my current rate of playing video games it'll take me until I'm in a retirement home to catch up on my backlog anyway. And then I can go back and play my favourites again.

I used to worry about all of the fun experiences and great stories I was missing out on, but I really just don't care anymore. I'm content with doing a little bit of whatever I feel like at any time.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-23 15:49:28
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a treadmill you can never keep up with. They release a neverending supply of things. You beat one, 5 come out. You beat another one and the first one has DLC now. You go back for the DLC they drop 5 more.

Or they remaster it and one cool new thing on a new system so you have to beat it all over again to see it.

Exhausting. (it's why watching games is such a big industry now)
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-03-23 15:58:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I do hold onto a tiny shred of hope, though. Every industry and indeed every company can have waves of success and failure. There's even a couple games coming out soon that I'm mildly interested in. And then there's the indie scene that occasionally releases a diamond in the rough.

Ultimately, I think the goal is to just not overhype oneself on a game until it comes out. It's smart to wait for sales and stuff too. Avoid games with FOMO as much as possible, not even just to vote with your wallet, but just so you don't have to deal with it.

Going back to the topic of RPGs with satisfying grind, I really enjoyed Ruined King. Even the most mundane fights offer challenges and unique mechanics. Maintaining resources between rest points is a challenge in itself. It feels very old-school in a very good way.
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-03-23 16:23:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »

And I mean, I get it how it appeals to the masses.
There's a quote that goes something like:

"In the world's audience hall the simple blades of grass sit on the same carpet as the sunbeams and the stars."
By Pantafernando 2023-03-23 17:35:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Drumskull said: »
matusi making ff17 is real?

Considering how they have been flunking in their sales, I guess they could be desperate trying to try everything they can.

Last sales report I saw from them (from a YT video that reviewed they last year report) they had bad score even with their so called MMORPG products. Funny is, they only considered FFXIV and DQX in their report.

No consideration to FFXI performance.
By Draylo 2023-03-23 21:08:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Got this really fast. The coaster set is nice but I really like the details on this mirror. There isn't any reflection tho unless I hang to peal something off lol

[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2023-03-23 21:26:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
No consideration to FFXI performance.
Profitable enough to maintain at least a bit but of no importance annual reportwise. Or even mentionable in passing.

XI is almost a fixed income for them. You keep the lights on, maybe more.

Heard you got a cut in development staff. /comfort BUT they are still developing for you! /cheer

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-03-24 02:32:47
Link | Quote | Reply

kuroki said: »
got a new laptop where they placed the power button adjacent to both delete and backspace keys. haven't fat fingered yet but its inevitable.

I once posted a photo of my work notebook placing that button in the delete button neighborhood, but, unlike what i myself thought, maybe i just pressed it by mistake only oncein a year, and that right at the beginning.

Its less an issue than i supposed to be at first, given how long its expected to press the power off button for it to do anything harmful
By Pantafernando 2023-03-24 02:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
Got this really fast. The coaster set is nice but I really like the details on this mirror. There isn't any reflection tho unless I hang to peal something off lol

At first glance, it reminded me of Legend of Mana.

I guess i need to play the remake of it.

I do remember how joyful it was to play that game. Despite being not linear, some “arcs” really are well written
By Pantafernando 2023-03-24 02:37:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Ow ***….

Right at the end of the XB3 playing i got in the ring gacha sustem, so i think this will take a little longer before i can completely stop playing this game.

Good thing the gacha can be save/load-ed. less troublesome to aim for a 1/100000 chance for 5 possibilities
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-24 20:13:49
Link | Quote | Reply

[+]
By Pantafernando 2023-03-25 19:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Dude simply nailed
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-25 22:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn bois Scream movies just get better.

A little too close to scream 2 but still dope. Erbody gettin stabbded.
By Draylo 2023-03-25 22:45:55
Link | Quote | Reply

It was good, I still don't forgive them for the last movie but I'm happy with it. Some moments were like "wtf, how?" but otherwise was good.
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-25 22:49:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, the bad guy (even when they're a teenage girl) are *** super human.

But, ya know, they have to be.
By Draylo 2023-03-25 22:54:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah or
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2023-03-25 23:09:31
Link | Quote | Reply

By Afania 2023-03-26 02:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
mechanics must be streamlined so no mistakes can be made.

Real issue is entertainment has changed, and the corpos control the companies.

Games all wanna be action oriented so the hands are always kept active, so that the brain doesn't have to do much processing/reading etc.

Just FYI, action has always been a dominating genre....I vaguely recall in the 80-90s the most popular IP were Pac-Man, Mario, Sonic the hedgehog, Mega man...etc. On PC it was Diablo, Doom, Quake...
Turn based rpg weren't that popular until ff7/pokemon tbh.

Except a number of turn based/narrative gamee are indie/mobile now. And narrative focused game(walk sim included) become a genre on it's own and split the market. So it feels like it's dying if you don't play indie nor mobile games.

Another fyi, I personally feel action games use brain power at a higher frequency. I usually can't play action games for more than 30min to 1hr, I will need a break. I can play 1-2hr+ of turn based games or reading non stop. So the idea of action game needs less brain processing is kinda weird, lol.

To me I almost always use more brain power in action games, within shorter time frames at least. Since I am making decisions every second in action games instead of having a downtime in turn based games as the enemies move.

Reading stories doesn't require much thinking unless the game ask you to make a choice or solve puzzles as you read them, since reading alone doesn't require player input
[+]
 Bahamut.Drumskull
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Drumskull 2023-03-26 05:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Asura.Vyre
Forum Moderator
user: Vyrerus
By Asura.Vyre 2023-03-26 05:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Afania said: »
Turn based rpg weren't that popular until ff7/pokemon tbh.
This is not entirely correct.

It is true that Super Mario and the like were far more popular and sold far more copies of games, but that has more to do with the ease of play and multiplayer aspects of those games. As well as them being bundled with the console. On the Atari there weren't really turn based RPGs. Games like Pac-man were also bought by arcades. Also bear in mind that Super Mario and other action type games were made by the same companies selling the consoles (received better/more marketing as a result).

The original Final Fantasy outsold Mega Man 3 and nearly sold as well as Mega Man 2. Dragon Quest III sold 3.9 million copies, 10 times less than Super Mario but almost the same as Sonic 3 on the Genesis (a higher tech action game).

As you move into the 90s on the SNES and Genesis you start to encounter forced unit sales with the game bundles far more. Of the top 20 selling SNES games, 6 of them are well known RPGs, none of which were sold bundled, whereas 11 of the games are bundled with the SNES with the remaining 3 being the two Donkey Kong Country sequels and the alternate Turbo version of Street Fighter II(a bundled game).

The lower sales numbers for RPGs has more to do with inferior marketing as well as the games including elements that made them harder to play/desire for kids and families. For starters, most all of them were single player experiences on something advertised as, "The Family Computer(Famicom + NES)." For the mid 80s till the late 90s, gaming was seen as a child's activity. Most families had more than one child to entertain. Secondly, they required intensive time, dedication, and reading comprehension to advance the gameplay. Super Mario you push start game, and the gameplay is 100% consistent throughout. Nothing changes, you read almost nothing, and you only have to think about how to traverse the world via running and jumping across platforms, creating the, "Platformer" genre.

Not everyone is you. Hell, the other 7.whatever billion people on this planet are not you (google says there's 3.09 billion gamers worldwide nowadays something I don't entirely believe). I can play either style of game all day long. The only thing that gets tired for me is my hands, if I play an action game with intensive amounts of button pressing for at least 4 hours.
I'm sure a lot of people when faced with the requirement to read and remember would choose a different game facing that reason alone. The average person plays a game for only a few hours at a time, if that long. Games that get right to the action will always perform better on a massive scale. People, on average, do not like to read or pay attention to games in that way. People don't even like to slow down and listen to NPCs speak.

There's a lot of games that outsold RPGs over the decades, but even series that succeeded in that died out before the RPG series have due to having less dedicated fan bases(if they even actually develop fan bases beyond their sales) and creative teams.

Gaming enthusiasts chose RPGs and made them succeed, in other words. Spiraling out to endorse creatives efforts, causing later, future RPGs to spawn in different flavors. We aren't talking about this on an MMO-Mario site, now are we?
[+]
By Afania 2023-03-26 06:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Not everyone is you. Hell, the other 7.whatever billion people on this planet are not you (google says there's 3.09 billion gamers worldwide nowadays something I don't entirely believe). I can play either style of game all day long.

Okay...sure, you have longer attention span than me. but that does not mean action games require less brain processing than turn based rpg. You still need to make decisions on where to move, what move to use, when to attack, when to dodge every single second. Some games even have stealth gameplay which requires observation and planning.

You don't make player input decisions in turn based games this often.

The real brain processing difference between a turn based game and action, imo, is the amount of decisions that you can make everytime when you input something. Action games are limited by controller buttons because you have to make decisions on a shorter timeframe, so selecting command from a long list is not possible in action games.

So possibly 4 directions and 2-6 move set everytime you input something in most action games I think.

In turn based rpg, if 1 character has 5-10 moves, with 4 characters you get 20-40 choices per turn. That may feel like you are doing more brain processing because you must filter out more suboptimal choices every turn. But you aren't doing them in higher a frequency than action games.

Unfortunately I find at least 95% of optimal choices in a 90s turn based rpg like FF being totally obvious. The game may give me 20-40 choices per turn, but in reality the most optimal choices are generally the strongest attack or heal if HP is low. Enemies are weak against fire? Cast fire for maximum damage. That's it.

What's worse is that many older rpg bosses are immune to status ailments, further lowered choices available per turn.

So the brain processing power required wasn't that high, at least not in early FF games.

There's a lot of games that outsold RPGs over the decades, but even series that succeeded in that died out before the RPG series have due to having less dedicated fan bases(if they even actually develop fan bases beyond their sales) and creative teams.

This has more to do with world building, not the genre, imo. If a game has deeper world building and characters then it's more likely to survive for longer. Players remember interesting characters and the world.

Case to the point, Mario and Legend of Zelda is still alive even though those IP are mainly action. (Although Mario has a few rpg titles). But Pac-Man is mostly dead since the main selling point is game mechanics.

The lower sales numbers for RPGs has more to do with inferior marketing as well as the games including elements that made them harder to play/desire for kids and families.

Well yeah, rpg are harder to market to kids for sure. FF literally didn't exist in my childhood until ff7, unlike Mario or Sonic the hedgehog that was so well known in the 90s.
By Jetackuu 2023-03-26 09:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars.
[+]
 Bahamut.Celebrindal
By Bahamut.Celebrindal 2023-03-26 11:30:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Jetackuu said: »
Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars.
its a game about the Pleiades? Sign me up!
By Pantafernando 2023-03-26 13:22:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Im finally in my last hours of XB3 playing, only having to beat the hard mode superbosses, what I plan to finish still today, at most tomorrow, but there is a thing that I really didnt like.

I just beat the Gauntlet mode, that is a massive run of 140 waves with increasing stronger mobs, and, despite all preparation I spent to make a proper setup, in the end, the only viable strategy was cheesing the mobs with a move that also provide "evasion", whats basically a short time near invulnerability to all dmg, only having 2 or 3 moves in the entire 140 waves that can break that status evasion.

I mean, all gear, party composition, grinding spent to, in the end, resorting to a gimmick of timing buttons to smash at the right time to basically dish absurd dmg while being invincible near 100% of time. Still, stressing as *** concentrating for like 4h of smashing buttons...

This gimmick is so broken that I dont feel like using anything else to beat the other foes. I guess, maybe better get this done by tonight and move on, a lot of things to study and this leftover of play time isnt allowing me to concentrate in that.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2023-03-26 14:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Action RPG vs Turn Based RPG: A Gamer's Perspective

If you are a fan of role-playing games (RPGs), you may have encountered the debate between action RPGs and turn based RPGs. Some gamers prefer the fast-paced and dynamic gameplay of action RPGs, while others enjoy the strategic and tactical elements of turn based RPGs. But which one is better? And why?

In this blog post, I will try to answer these questions from my own perspective as a gamer who loves both genres. I will compare and contrast the main features of action RPGs and turn based RPGs, and give some examples of games that represent each style. I will also share my personal preferences and opinions on what makes a good RPG.

What are action RPGs and turn based RPGs?

Action RPGs are games that combine the elements of role-playing games with real-time combat. The player controls a character or a party of characters, and can move freely in the game world, interact with NPCs, explore locations, and complete quests. However, when the player encounters enemies, the game switches to a combat mode where the player has to use various skills, items, and weapons to defeat them. The combat is usually fast-paced and requires quick reflexes, timing, and coordination.

Some examples of action RPGs are:

- The Legend of Zelda series
- The Witcher series
- Dark Souls series
- Diablo series
- Mass Effect series

Turn based RPGs are games that also combine the elements of role-playing games with combat, but in a different way. The player still controls a character or a party of characters, and can move freely in the game world, interact with NPCs, explore locations, and complete quests. However, when the player encounters enemies, the game switches to a combat mode where the player and the enemies take turns to perform actions. The combat is usually slower-paced and requires careful planning, strategy, and resource management.

Some examples of turn based RPGs are:

- Final Fantasy series
- Dragon Quest series
- Persona series
- Pokemon series
- Divinity: Original Sin series

What are the pros and cons of action RPGs and turn based RPGs?

Both action RPGs and turn based RPGs have their own advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of them:

Action RPGs:

Pros:

- They offer more immersion and excitement in combat, as the player has to react to the enemy's movements and attacks in real time.
- They allow more freedom and creativity in combat, as the player can use different skills, items, and weapons to suit their playstyle and situation.
- They often have more responsive and fluid controls, as the player can move their character with ease and precision.
- They often have more realistic and detailed graphics, animations, and sound effects, as they aim to create a believable and immersive game world.

Cons:

- They can be more challenging and frustrating for some players, as they require quick reflexes, timing, and coordination to succeed in combat.
- They can be more repetitive and monotonous for some players, as they often rely on similar mechanics and patterns in combat.
- They can be more prone to technical issues and glitches, as they have to handle more complex systems and interactions in real time.
- They can be more demanding on hardware and software resources, as they have to render more graphics and effects at high quality.

Turn based RPGs:

Pros:

- They offer more depth and strategy in combat, as the player has to think carefully about their actions and their consequences.
- They allow more customization and optimization in combat, as the player can choose different skills, items, and weapons to suit their preferences and goals.
- They often have more variety and diversity in combat, as they often feature different types of enemies, environments, scenarios, and challenges.
- They often have more story-driven and character-focused narratives, as they have more time and space to develop them.

Cons:

- They can be more boring and tedious for some players, as they have to wait for their turn to act in combat.
- They can be more restrictive and limiting in combat, as they often follow predefined rules and systems in combat.
- They often have less intuitive and user-friendly controls, as they often rely on menus and commands to perform actions.
- They often have less impressive and immersive graphics, animations, and sound effects, as they focus more on gameplay than presentation.

What are my personal preferences and opinions on action RPGs and turn based RPGs?

As I said before, I love both genres of RPGs. I think they both offer different kinds of experiences that appeal to different kinds of gamers. However, if I had to choose one over the other, I would say that I prefer action RPGs over turn based RPGs.

this is the part where I tell you that this post was automatically written by Edge's new ChatGPT fueled AI features.
[+]
 Bahamut.Drumskull
By Bahamut.Drumskull 2023-03-26 15:57:03
Link | Quote | Reply

too much to read but in general Turn based rpg >> Action RPG, unless if the camera is on top like diablo thanks and bye.

- The Legend of Zelda series *NOT ACTION RPGS BUT HAS ELEMENTS OF*
- The Witcher series
- Dark Souls series
- Diablo series
- Mass Effect series
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2023-03-26 16:13:10
Link | Quote | Reply

The definition of RPG still eludes me. By its most technical definition, you'd assume it would be any game wherein you could create, customize, and develop a character with which you could make choices that have a cascading impact on the game world.

By the way video game media seems to describe it, RPG seems to involve any game that includes Experience Points, typically leading to new features and/or higher stats on one or more characters. "RPG elements" was something used to describe nearly every game I saw in the 7th gaming generation, from shooters to action games, as you would earn stuff like Prestige for better guns and stuff. Nowadays it seems to just be assumed every game has some kind of progression system, so I rarely even hear that term anymore.

But by neither definition does something like Legend of Zelda seem to fit within that category, yet I see it described as a roleplaying game all the time. It's just confusing.
First Page 2 3 ... 22384 22385 22386 ... 22553 22554 22555