Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 22220 22221 22222 ... 22572 22573 22574
 Bahamut.Ravael
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-05-18 20:02:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Zeig said: »
Draylo said: »
It was this

https://tenor.com/view/crying-it-is-not-fair-dont-you-see-gif-18496795

Also this person has an engineering degree....

YouTube Video Placeholder

Her dumb attitude aside, my friend had a similar accident happen to him. He forgot stuff cooking in the pan till a fire erupted, and he tried to put it out in the sink. You know how that went, so he went to the balcony (it was freezing in winter) and placed the pan on the ground. The fire went out in seconds.

Oh, and he's a doctor

Anyways, it's just panic mode, and it can happen to any of us. As long as you recover fast and start thinking on your feet (unlike the woman in the video who left her pan burning), it's alright.

I rarely attribute general knowledge/intelligence to anyone just because they have a degree in something. The only reasonably safe assumption is that they're knowledgeable of their field of study. Based on some statements that my college professors made about the "real world", I'd say it's possible that having an excessive knowledge of a single topic could be correlated with a person being less knowledgeable of mundane things than what your average person would be expected to know.
 Asura.Eiryl
Server: Asura
user: Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-18 20:06:34
Link | Quote | Reply

It's always been amazing that you can know a lot of ***, and simultaneously not know a lot of ***.

Knowing a subset of things doesn't mean you know anything else. The tree of knowledge forks. People skip branches.
[+]
By Draylo 2022-05-18 20:18:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I mean, just found out a little funny as they pointed out it in the video. Kinda seems like she didn't learn a lot if she didn't know something that basic, but it's true that i hate when people use geography to somehow point out someone is dumb for not knowing where zamunda is in a world map. As if we use that knowledge every day.
By Hopalong 2022-05-18 20:25:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Welp, just gonna add something since I've seen this a lot on the sautee line. For example, the entire underneath of a ten burner gas stove system once caught flame during a 15k food sales day. I remember thinking I'd just be a shadow burned into the wall when the gas below blows.

1) Remove pan from flame. (She tried, the initial burst of flame she had in the sink was just the water on the oil, she should have left it in the sink and turned off the water.)
2) Turn off the flame.
3) Smother with either a damp towel, or baking soda, or salt.

They teach cooks to get that oil hot and smoking, but if you walk away its like creating a bomb. Imagine deep pot frying something and you have the flame too high for too long and it licks over the edge of the pot...
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
Server: Ragnarok
user: Jessie
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-18 20:28:51
Link | Quote | Reply

lol I know Draylo was just showing us a funny video - it actually is pretty funny watching it unfold, especially knowing no one got hurt.

But yeah I'll just say that even though I'm well aware of how to deal with a grease fire, I'd probably panic and accidentally burn down my entire house somehow.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-05-18 20:33:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eiryl said: »
It's always been amazing that you can know a lot of ***, and simultaneously not know a lot of ***.

Knowing a subset of things doesn't mean you know anything else. The tree of knowledge forks. People skip branches.

The smartest people are the ones who are fully aware of which branches they skipped and behave accordingly.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2022-05-19 01:29:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Talking about fire on screen, here is something that happen years ago in a live program (nvm the portuguese, you can grasp the story based on the images only):

It was about a live presentation how a remote control grill was suppose to work but well...

YouTube Video Placeholder
By Pantafernando 2022-05-19 06:28:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Its such a let down when your first "hello world" program in a new language starts with an error....

Ow, jesus... println and not printIn...
By Wordspoken 2022-05-19 06:49:44
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm RT almost at page 2.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-19 08:51:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Ravael said: »

The smartest people are the ones who are fully aware of which branches they skipped and behave accordingly.

And this is why I constantly harp these days that everyone might be entitled to their own opinion, but only fools think their opinion on everything matters. Some people will spend a lifetime on a subject that most never touch and we should respect their dedication and life's work rather than think a 20 minute YouTube video puts us on equal footing.

You know- tough subject matters....I dunno, like virology.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-19 09:17:57
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to agree with you like "Pff, yeah. No doubt. We're smarter than those other people", but I also know I'm guilty of forgetting my place. Even yesterday I was commenting with more objectivity than I usually do in that one other thread, about stuff that I have no right to.

But that's also why the internet can be a dangerous place. It's easy to get worked up when you've found people who affirm you.

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »
And this is why I constantly harp these days that everyone might be entitled to their own opinion, but only fools think their opinion on everything matters.
[+]
By Pantafernando 2022-05-19 09:46:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe life can be more harmonious once people understand that right and wrong are subjective.

And the desire of being “right” isnt more than “pride”, one of the seven sins.
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-19 09:57:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Pantafernando said: »
Maybe life can be more harmonious once people understand that right and wrong are subjective.
I disagree entirely. If every opinion is weighed equally, it leads to conflict because those opinions often clash. That's why it's important to have clarity.

If one community says 1+1=2 and another community says 1+1=5, one of them is objectively wrong. But if we don't give more weight to the community which bothered to properly learn the correct answer, both of them will think their answer is equally correct and will fight about it.
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2022-05-19 10:37:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I'm getting really sick of thinking I'm sitting back in Philosophy 101 Freshman year and there's this one guy in class wearing a fedora he got at Goodwill trying to pick up chicks with the Nihilist angle. Happens every damn year since Neitzche hit the States.

Your "nothing matters" "everything is relative" take on anything isn't fooling anyone. And its a weak argument one uses when they have no argument. There are concrete truths, you can't blab out "everything's relative" and just stop there. So please, either contribute to the discussions at hand or maybe read a 2nd book on philosophy.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-19 10:52:03
Link | Quote | Reply

This is partially true. Many arguments are wrongfully chasing "victory". But a good discussion should have the goal of progress and understanding. It's wise to understand the perspectives of others, but it's also important to know that there often is a right or wrong answer. It's important to be willing to change your opinion in the face of evidence.

Learning isn't a sign of defeat, it's a sign of growth.
 Garuda.Chanti
Server: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2022-05-19 11:07:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to be an insufferable wiseass.

Whenever a friend told me "You're right" my standard reply was "Of course I'm right, when have you ever known me to be wrong?"

But being honest whenever I was wrong I would point it out. "I was wrong! Make a note of this, there will be a test later."

But no one would ever remember when that test rolled around. Sucked all the fun out of that game.

P. S. I am no longer insufferable.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-19 11:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Chanti said: »
I think everyone has a phase in their life when they're like that. I was really bad in the tail end of high school and early university days. That awkward window where you think you know everything, just before you learn how little you don't know.

By Jetackuu 2022-05-19 11:31:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Its such a let down when your first "hello world" program in a new language starts with an error....

Ow, jesus... println and not printIn...

I've always hated that test "print" idk, maybe I'm just grumpy.
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-19 12:37:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh jesus, well, I'm sad now.

Quote:
2006 - Idiocracy is a comedy

2016 - Idiocracy is a documentary

2022 - Idiocracy was optimistic
[+]
 Asura.Eiryl
By Asura.Eiryl 2022-05-19 13:57:32
Link | Quote | Reply

In that thread, there were comments discussing what dystopia we actually live in. You know, 1984, Fahrenheit 451, handmaiden's tale, brave new world. The standard stuff.

Had never heard of Harrison Bergeron. That ***, bruh. We're not literally there, but jesus christ. (they use like "neural dampeners" to make smart people dumb)........ Sound weirdly close?

Kinda like how schools and education get worse and worse on purpose to make people just smart enough to consume but not ask questions.

(Also, we are alarming levels of close to all of them)
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2022-05-19 15:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Garuda.Chanti said: »
I think everyone has a phase in their life when they're like that. I was really bad in the tail end of high school and early university days. That awkward window where you think you know everything, just before you learn how little you don't know.
Being a wiseass is not about knowing everything.

Being a wiseass is about having a snappy, and preferably sarcastic, comeback to anything.

Although at the time I DID know everything. /giggle
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2022-05-19 16:05:37
Link | Quote | Reply

is it possible this is the first frasier gif in rt?
 Fenrir.Richybear
Server: Fenrir
user: Richybear
By Fenrir.Richybear 2022-05-19 16:12:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Had never heard of Harrison Bergeron. That ***, bruh. We're not literally there, but jesus christ. (they use like "neural dampeners" to make smart people dumb)........ Sound weirdly close?
)

I always picture the mom in that story like Sara Goldfarb from Requiem For a Dream
 Ragnarok.Jessikah
By Ragnarok.Jessikah 2022-05-19 16:14:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Hevans' new profile picture over here making me crave a nice Scotch.

[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2022-05-19 16:23:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Jessikah said: »
Hevans' new profile picture over here making me crave a nice Scotch.

i lucked out and found 3 bottles of 'dimple pinch' at a liqour store near where i'm staying atm. it's tied for my favorite blended scotch. perfect for a good scotch and soda. my regular liqour store which is much "nicer" and larger with a crazy selection hasn't been able to get it for the last 18 months. i bought 2 and left 1 because it felt greedy to buy them all. others deserve the deliciousness.

been debating on a splurge bottle. i think it might be a 20 year laphroaig.
 Bahamut.Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2022-05-19 16:42:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Celebrindal said: »

And this is why I constantly harp these days that everyone might be entitled to their own opinion, but only fools think their opinion on everything matters. Some people will spend a lifetime on a subject that most never touch and we should respect their dedication and life's work rather than think a 20 minute YouTube video puts us on equal footing.

You know- tough subject matters....I dunno, like virology.

To some extent you're right, but there's a reason why the "appeal to authority" is considered to be a logical fallacy. One's expert opinion is only as valid as the data available to back it up.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2022-05-19 18:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Hevans said: »
been debating on a splurge bottle. i think it might be a 20 year laphroaig.
Go for it!!!
By Pantafernando 2022-05-19 18:23:06
Link | Quote | Reply

So cold...

I dont want to take a shower.
 Ragnarok.Ghishlain
user: Ghishlain
By Ragnarok.Ghishlain 2022-05-19 18:58:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Playing through Wild Arms 3 again and enjoying the music