Forum » FFXIV » News » Changes to the battle system & More
Changes to the battle system & More
By Dubont 2011-02-03 17:58:03
Link | Quote | Reply

MiracleWorks said:
Asura.Kowen said:
what else can you do before 50?
wait for this http://www.tera-online.com/
I've seen it...it's not that impressive. To me, it just looks like another WoW clone with a touch of Aion. Both of which I can't stand lol
By MiracleWorks 2011-02-03 18:02:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
MiracleWorks said:
Asura.Kowen said:
what else can you do before 50?
wait for this http://www.tera-online.com/
I've seen it...it's not that impressive. To me, it just looks like another WoW clone with a touch of Aion. Both of which I can't stand lol

I can't stand WoW either, but personally I think it looks a lot less stupid than WoW
I was really hoping FFXIV would turn out to be fun though
By Dubont 2011-02-03 18:42:41
Link | Quote | Reply

TERA does look more magical and exciting than FF, I'll give it that, but to me, it's just another cookie cutter MMO. I haven't really seen anything that stands out or makes it different than others aside from being...Perfect World with better graphics.
 Ramuh.Thunderz
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Thunderz
By Ramuh.Thunderz 2011-02-03 19:06:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bleh small update.

totally not excited.

They need need to put out one giant update. Not pieces at a time.

At this point they are just too *** slow to release stuff.

Hell hire more people to get this done. They are the ones loosing millions of dollars each month the game is "f2p".

By MiracleWorks 2011-02-03 19:59:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
TERA does look more magical and exciting than FF, I'll give it that

you know that's 1 thing that has surprised me about 11 and 14
from all the other FF's I've played, there has always been that magical element, and for some reason I've felt 11 and 14 never had it
don't get me wrong I played 11 for around 6 years and loved it, but it didn't really feel like a final fantasy game to me, same goes for 14

I was hoping they would make 14 closer to an offline FF game but as an MMO, the world atleast
 Asura.Kowen
Server: Asura
user: Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2011-02-03 20:25:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
NMs
Which? Sure you can try and fight them with a group a few ranks earlier, but they all seem to be intended for rank 50 players.

Dubont said:
gather
craft
That's just grinding levels on another class basically, but even more boring. :/

Dubont said:
Same ***you could do in FFXI before endgame.
XI has plenty to do now. It may not have in the beginning, but XI's launch (in Japan, before we got it) was just as shitty as XIV's is now. They had to do multiple rollbacks and refunded monthly fees a couple times.

I think the easiest mid-level content to add would be more NMs. It can't be hard to just make a monster stronger and bigger, put it on a longer timer, and give it a rare drop.
By Dubont 2011-02-03 20:53:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Thunderz said:
Bleh small update.

totally not excited.

They need need to put out one giant update. Not pieces at a time.

At this point they are just too *** slow to release stuff.

Hell hire more people to get this done. They are the ones loosing millions of dollars each month the game is "f2p".

again...you people complained because they released the game early and now you're complaining because they aren't releasing stuff fast enough.

Asura.Kowen said:
Dubont said:
NMs
Which? Sure you can try and fight them with a group a few ranks earlier, but they all seem to be intended for rank 50 players.

Dubont said:
gather
craft
That's just grinding levels on another class basically, but even more boring. :/

Dubont said:
Same ***you could do in FFXI before endgame.
XI has plenty to do now. It may not have in the beginning, but XI's launch (in Japan, before we got it) was just as shitty as XIV's is now. They had to do multiple rollbacks and refunded monthly fees a couple times.

I think the easiest mid-level content to add would be more NMs. It can't be hard to just make a monster stronger and bigger, put it on a longer timer, and give it a rare drop.
1) The gobs and Uraeus can be taken down by a good group of 30s-40s if you actually use strategy and don't try to bum rush them

2) It's still something other than grinding a battle job which is no different than switching to crafting after you get tired of fighting in 11. It's. No. Different.

3) 14 has the same ***that 11 has, just less of it. In 11, what did you do? Level, craft, gather mats, occasional NM, story quest when you reached the right level.

In 14, what do you do? Level, craft, gather mats, occasional NM, story quest when you reach the right level, *** because you want something to do other than that.

Really...think about it...14 has the same ***that 11 did until endgame level, just less of it.
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2011-02-03 21:10:28
Link | Quote | Reply

XIV's leves and story quests don't compare to XI's quests and missions. It's not just that there are less of them, but they're shallow, lacking variety, and really poorly put together outside of the cinematics.

XI also has alternatives to grinding that can be fun occasionally, like MMM and Campaign, and events like Assault can be done well before the level cap. Of course nobody does any of that NOW, though, this was all pre-abyssea...

Even if XI was the shittiest game ever made, why is that an excuse for XIV to be shitty too?
[+]
By Alexandre 2011-02-03 21:27:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
Alexandre said:
Game is still boring. They need to update the damn content not the text colors.
I'm tired of people saying that there isn't any content. Go kill NMs. Once you kill all of them and have gotten drops for everyone in your LS, THEN complain about no content. Your highest job is r11. There is plenty of content 20+, you just haven't see it yet because you are nowhere near the right level. That's like going into FFXI and saying that there is no content...yet your highest is level 11. Honestly, imo, you have no right to complain about anything.[/q]
I have just as much right to complain about anything as everyone else and I have had higher chars and deleted them and I played in the beta and lost all that and I cannot bring myself to level it up anymore. It has no replay value. The game sucks and unless they fix THE CONTENT it will be free forever. Thanks.
By Dubont 2011-02-03 21:28:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
XIV's leves and story quests don't compare to XI's quests and missions. It's not just that there are less of them, but they're shallow, lacking variety, and really poorly put together outside of the cinematics.

XI also has alternatives to grinding that can be fun occasionally, like MMM and Campaign, and events like Assault can be done well before the level cap. Of course nobody does any of that NOW, though, this was all pre-abyssea...

Even if XI was the shittiest game ever made, why is that an excuse for XIV to be shitty too?

MMM didn't come about until a few years ago so you can't use that, sorry, the same goes for Campaign, which was from an expansion. Although, if you want something like Campaign, Behest BAM!
Assault came from an expansion too so that is invalid.

I never said 11 was shitty lol I played it for 7 years and if you thought 11 was shitty, why the hell would you play 14, a game made by the same company, if you knew that it was going to be about 90% the same thing?
By Dubont 2011-02-03 21:31:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexandre said:
Dubont said:
Alexandre said:
Game is still boring. They need to update the damn content not the text colors.
I'm tired of people saying that there isn't any content. Go kill NMs. Once you kill all of them and have gotten drops for everyone in your LS, THEN complain about no content. Your highest job is r11. There is plenty of content 20+, you just haven't see it yet because you are nowhere near the right level. That's like going into FFXI and saying that there is no content...yet your highest is level 11. Honestly, imo, you have no right to complain about anything.
I have just as much right to complain about anything as everyone else and I have had higher chars and deleted them and I played in the beta and lost all that and I cannot bring myself to level it up anymore. It has no replay value. The game sucks and unless they fix THE CONTENT it will be free forever. Thanks.
I see no proof of you having higher jobs so I do believe that you are just talking out of your ***. The game is no worse on content than 11 before expansions so you have 2 choices. Continue to play and shut the *** up or quit the game and go cry about it.

Of course you lost everything that you got from the beta...you actually thought that they would let you keep your info from the beta and give you an edge on other players? LOL! You have obviously never played a game before release...Take your childish crying and blatant *** elsewhere.
By jdcho99 2011-02-03 21:37:24
Link | Quote | Reply

theres a whole lotta crying going on here XD
By Suterusu 2011-02-03 23:21:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yo, with new SP system you can pass you Beta progress in about 8 hours.
 Asura.Kowen
By Asura.Kowen 2011-02-04 00:54:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
Asura.Kowen said:

MMM didn't come about until a few years ago so you can't use that, sorry, the same goes for Campaign, which was from an expansion. Although, if you want something like Campaign, Behest BAM!
Assault came from an expansion too so that is invalid.

I never said 11 was shitty lol I played it for 7 years and if you thought 11 was shitty, why the hell would you play 14, a game made by the same company, if you knew that it was going to be about 90% the same thing?

I didn't think XI was shitty, that was just an example. It was one of my favorite games.

And I know most of XI's content came from expansions, that's why I mentioned that XI also launched as a very barren and buggy game. The reason it didn't flop though was because there wasn't a lot of competition around. Now when people try XIV and don't enjoy it much, they'll just go back to XI, WoW, or whatever they played before.

I have pretty high hopes for XIV and I'm still enjoying parts of it now. I just disagree with the people defending it so strongly in its current state.
[+]
 Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha 2011-02-04 02:29:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Kowen said:
Dubont said:
Asura.Kowen said:
XIV's leves and story quests don't compare to XI's quests and missions. It's not just that there are less of them, but they're shallow, lacking variety, and really poorly put together outside of the cinematics. XI also has alternatives to grinding that can be fun occasionally, like MMM and Campaign, and events like Assault can be done well before the level cap. Of course nobody does any of that NOW, though, this was all pre-abyssea... Even if XI was the shittiest game ever made, why is that an excuse for XIV to be shitty too?
MMM didn't come about until a few years ago so you can't use that, sorry, the same goes for Campaign, which was from an expansion. Although, if you want something like Campaign, Behest BAM! Assault came from an expansion too so that is invalid. I never said 11 was shitty lol I played it for 7 years and if you thought 11 was shitty, why the hell would you play 14, a game made by the same company, if you knew that it was going to be about 90% the same thing?
I didn't think XI was shitty, that was just an example. It was one of my favorite games. And I know most of XI's content came from expansions, that's why I mentioned that XI also launched as a very barren and buggy game. The reason it didn't flop though was because there wasn't a lot of competition around. Now when people try XIV and don't enjoy it much, they'll just go back to XI, WoW, or whatever they played before. I have pretty high hopes for XIV and I'm still enjoying parts of it now. I just disagree with the people defending it so strongly in its current state.

Same thing i wonder is why people defend it. They already made a mmo so thats why i find it inexcusable for the release they had.
By MiracleWorks 2011-02-04 02:51:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha said:
Asura.Kowen said:
Dubont said:
Asura.Kowen said:
XIV's leves and story quests don't compare to XI's quests and missions. It's not just that there are less of them, but they're shallow, lacking variety, and really poorly put together outside of the cinematics. XI also has alternatives to grinding that can be fun occasionally, like MMM and Campaign, and events like Assault can be done well before the level cap. Of course nobody does any of that NOW, though, this was all pre-abyssea... Even if XI was the shittiest game ever made, why is that an excuse for XIV to be shitty too?
MMM didn't come about until a few years ago so you can't use that, sorry, the same goes for Campaign, which was from an expansion. Although, if you want something like Campaign, Behest BAM! Assault came from an expansion too so that is invalid. I never said 11 was shitty lol I played it for 7 years and if you thought 11 was shitty, why the hell would you play 14, a game made by the same company, if you knew that it was going to be about 90% the same thing?
I didn't think XI was shitty, that was just an example. It was one of my favorite games. And I know most of XI's content came from expansions, that's why I mentioned that XI also launched as a very barren and buggy game. The reason it didn't flop though was because there wasn't a lot of competition around. Now when people try XIV and don't enjoy it much, they'll just go back to XI, WoW, or whatever they played before. I have pretty high hopes for XIV and I'm still enjoying parts of it now. I just disagree with the people defending it so strongly in its current state.

Same thing i wonder is why people defend it. They already made a mmo so thats why i find it inexcusable for the release they had.

there's very few people that do still defend it here, even if they do like the game they don't defend it

props to dubont though, for still backing a game he likes
By Dubont 2011-02-04 02:52:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Sasukeuchiha said:
Asura.Kowen said:
Dubont said:
Asura.Kowen said:

Different teams work on both games so the whole "they already had one!" isn't really a valid point. I still defend the game because most of the ***that people say is wrong with the game is either 1) Not true 2) Not valid or 3) Outdated
By MiracleWorks 2011-02-04 03:18:31
Link | Quote | Reply

when people use the points they do, it comes down to a fun factor for them though
when people say there's nothing to do, there's nothing -fun- to do

NMs not everyone considers these to be fun, I LOATHE NMs in any MMO
XP I'm the first person to love grinding, I did it on a craft and getting that craft to 50 burnt me out on wanting to do other crafts/fieldcrafts because it was so tedious (yes xp is easier now but hitting standard synth over and over isnt 'fun')
combat jobs aren't bad, but personally I think it's kinda bland (granted I only solo or duo so, maybe parties are fun?)
Quest again sure you get, 3 job quests between 20~50, I wouldn't call these exciting, or fun either and a few missions every bunch of levels, the CS are nice but the quests themselves are fairly lacking

so sure there are some things to do, it's whether or not people find them fun, people will say "sure I could xp a combat job, but why? to fight NMs? for what? gear??? why do I need gear if there's no content to use it for" and they'd be spot on

people want 'event' content, instances etc, things they can do that are fun and some people don't want to wait around for that stuff to be added

if you find that stuff listed above fun, then there's 'content' for you

it's the same in real life when people say they're bored and have nothing to do, ***there's entire world out there of stuff for them to do, but the things available to them aren't appealing
[+]
By Dubont 2011-02-04 03:26:33
Link | Quote | Reply

MiracleWorks said:

so sure there are some things to do, it's whether or not people find them fun, people will say "sure I could xp a combat job, but why? to fight NMs? for what? gear??? why do I need gear if there's no content to use it for" and they'd be spot on
Isn't that really every MMO? FFXI, you did sea for sea gear...to use on...sea? WoW, you would raid for gear to use in....raids? FFXIV, you kill NMs for gear to use on....NMs. Same concept, different game. I mean, in the long run, it doesn't matter anyway because your characters will just be deleted when you ragequit over something else that you find stupid, right? Or maybe you just delete your account because a new MMO came out, so why bother right? I mean...this IS the main reason why I stopped playing COD's multiplayer. There's no point, right?

Yes, you make valid points. Other players may not find the current content to be fun, but many do and to say that the game "doesn't have content" just because you don't find it fun is not only incredibly wrong, but also selfish. That's like saying that a chinese buffet with 250 different food choices DOESN'T have food just because it doesn't carry squid sushi.
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-04 03:31:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
MiracleWorks said:

Isn't that really every MMO? FFXI, you did sea for sea gear...to use on...sea? WoW, you would raid for gear to use in....raids? FFXIV, you kill NMs for gear to use on....NMs. Same concept, different game. I mean, in the long run, it doesn't matter anyway because your characters will just be deleted when you ragequit over something else that you find stupid, right? Or maybe you just delete your account because a new MMO came out, so why bother right? I mean...this IS the main reason why I stopped playing COD's multiplayer. There's no point, right?

Yes, you make valid points. Other players may not find the current content to be fun, but I do and to say that the game "doesn't have content" just because you don't find it fun is not only incredibly wrong, but also selfish. That's like saying that a chinese buffet with 250 different food choices DOESN'T have food just because it doesn't carry squid sushi.

ftfy
[+]
 Ramuh.Tousou
Server: Ramuh
user: Toufu
By Ramuh.Tousou 2011-02-04 03:49:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I like a lot of what the new team has done so far. I even logged in to see how things have changed since I last played a few months ago.

The ward additions are nice and I'm glad the team is working hard on the usability and interface. I even managed to move some of my inventory through the market :o

The changing of stacks and auto-sort(Last patch?) was wonderful since I pretty much only gather.

I've also noticed a decrease in overall lag issues, amongst other small things.

Downside for me, though, is that it still feels grueling attempting to grind Miner and I haven't seen anyone on the AHLS.

Overall, SE has at least convinced me they're trying.
By Usun 2011-02-04 04:11:17
Link | Quote | Reply

But at this rate the game is going to be for kids younger than wow average. FFXI wasn't like that.

They are setting it too easy. Now it's super easy to rank up to 50, then you just gather 15 players, and spam the 1 key on the available NMs; DONE.

You are just EXPECTING them to add some interesting and challenging content, but you don't know, seeing what they've done so far.
By Dubont 2011-02-04 04:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Usun said:
But at this rate the game is going to be for kids younger than wow average. FFXI wasn't like that.

They are setting it too easy. Now it's super easy to rank up to 50, then you just gather 15 players, and spam the 1 key on the available NMs; DONE.

You are just EXPECTING them to add some interesting and challenging content, but you don't know, seeing what they've done so far.
Challenging? Try explaining BRs to idiots that got boosted from 1 to 50...yea...thats a challenge, no joke.
By MiracleWorks 2011-02-04 04:28:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
MiracleWorks said:

Yes, you make valid points. Other players may not find the current content to be fun, but many do and to say that the game "doesn't have content" just because you don't find it fun is not only incredibly wrong, but also selfish. That's like saying that a chinese buffet with 250 different food choices DOESN'T have food just because it doesn't carry squid sushi.

true, but what I mean't was, in say 11 you get gear from all over, to use all over, unless you only did the events you enjoyed, right now you'd get NM gear basically ONLY for NMs, if there was other event type thing as well, it would have more of a point, if you know what I mean

and yea, in the end it's all worthless anyway
some people look at that and say, why bother waiting around 6months+ for this game to get off the ground, when I could be doing something else and having fun, or playing another game and getting enjoyment out of it, granted if you enjoy being in 14 it doesn't really matter and you enjoy it regardless of how fast/slow they're adding to it

another thing is the fact that the game is kind of a maybe thing for some people, maybe it'll take off in 6months, maybe it'll take off in 1 year, maybe it wont take off at all and it bombs, or maybe it will take off and it's not to their liking, since everyone has their own concept they consider to be a 'perfect game'
By Dubont 2011-02-04 04:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

yes, in 11 you can use gear from other events for a different event, but until Zilart, there was no sky. Until CoP, there was no sea. Until ToAU, there was no Assault/Besieged. People just need to stop crying about content until an expansion is released. The core needs to be stabilized before ANY new content comes out. Any true gamer would know this. Only bandwagoners complain about ***like this.

I'm really just tired of seeing "We want content and we want it now!" where as just a few weeks ago I was seeing "SE rushed this game! It's ***! This game sucks because SE didn't take their time!!"
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-04 04:33:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
yes, in 11 you can use gear from other events for a different event, but until Zilart, there was no sky. Until CoP, there was no sea. Until ToAU, there was no Assault/Besieged. People just need to stop crying about content until an expansion is released. The core needs to be stabilized before ANY new content comes out. Any true gamer would know this. Only bandwagoners complain about ***like this.

I'm really just tired of seeing "We want content and we want it now!" where as just a few weeks ago I was seeing "SE rushed this game! It's ***! This game sucks because SE didn't take their time!!"

In 2002.

And no, plenty of MMO's are released with content out of the box, Look at Rift, that's in beta and it has more content than XIV currently.

The ***that's being done now SHOULD have been done in the beta test. There's no point in comparing it to XI because at the time XI had no competition they could take their time, now that XIV has taken our money and there's other MMO's ready WITH more content it has to shape up.

All XIV has proven is that SE have learned nothing from XI at all.
[+]
By Dubont 2011-02-04 04:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
[
I'm tired of this *** too. It's a completely different team dude. The team that originally worked on 14 was nothing but a bunch of ***. You say that I can't compare 14 to 11, ok, but you can't compare the 2 teams. 11's team was decent but 14's sucked. The new 14 team actually knows what it's doing so I really do wish that people would stop saying ***like this. "Se didn't learn anything!" Yea, no ***because 1 team TOTALLY makes up an entire company. You dumbshit, stop being an idiot for once in your miserable life and THINK.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-04 04:46:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Dubont said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
[
I'm tired of this *** too. It's a completely different team dude. The team that originally worked on 14 was nothing but a bunch of ***. You say that I can't compare 14 to 11, ok, but you can't compare the 2 teams. 11's team was decent but 14's sucked. The new 14 team actually knows what it's doing so I really do wish that people would stop saying ***like this. "Se didn't learn anything!" Yea, no ***because 1 team TOTALLY makes up an entire company. You dumbshit, stop being an idiot for once in your miserable life and THINK.

Wow, calm down bro.

Do you honestly think it's acceptable that a different team in the SAME company should learn nothing from XI's development?

Are you honestly that ignorant to how game development works to think that this team wouldn't ask the other team (with bags of experience in making an MMO) for advice? Really Dubont? I get that you enjoy XIV, but stop being such a fanboy and look at the mess XIV is in.

It is not acceptable that the XIV team failed that much, when they had an MMO of ten years under the belt of the company they work for.

They even make the same mistakes that XI made in 2002.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-02-04 04:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

ITT: If it's a different team in the same company then it's acceptable to make the same mistakes that were made 8~ years ago.
[+]
By Dubont 2011-02-04 04:52:31
Link | Quote | Reply

As I said, the old team was a bunch of ***. They denied the real problems with the game and had no plans of changing ANYTHING until the JP fanbase started complaining. Up until that point, the old team just kept saying that the US players cried too much. So yes, I do believe that the last team went through development without asking the questions that they should have asked.