How Long To Wait For A Replacment?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » how long to wait for a replacment?
how long to wait for a replacment?
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2009-02-27 09:20:09
Link | Quote | Reply

What does anyone feel is the right amount of time to wait for some one to log off in a party (they say they will be right back) but does not come back for an extended amount of time? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? Before you find a replacment?
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-27 09:22:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say 10-15 minutes. And then you can use that time to look up words like "replacement" in your dictionary.
 Fairy.Conchita
user: Conchita
By Fairy.Conchita 2009-02-27 09:22:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say like 5 minutes if they say they'll be right back.. else it's sorta not right back <.<; If someone DC's maybe more like 10mins incase they have problems to reconnect.
 Ifrit.Haseyo
Server: Ifrit
user:
By Ifrit.Haseyo 2009-02-27 09:22:33
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Depends on the person, their job (if it is like a DD, easier to get a rep), how the exp is, etc.

I give like 15min max.
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-27 09:28:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Get a replacement straight ASAP, and if they were really good, kick the worst member when they get back <_<

But seriously, I think you gotta play that sorta thing by ear, if general consensus of the party is that they'll be back, then you wait, if you all think they ain't comin' back, then get a replacement. I suppose you could set your own personal rule and say "I never wait longer than ten minutes," it actually wouldn't be such a bad idea because you can just explain your rule to them when they get back 20 minutes later.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-27 16:12:50
Link | Quote | Reply

If people have 1 hour or less I don't look for a rep. If the party can continue @5, albeit a little slower, I'll just keep going until we disband. If its over 1 hour, I'll probably start looking for a rep within 10 minutes.

I've always hated being a rep in a party to find out they disband within 20 minutes. Its rude and not worth the time to the person you invited.
 Shiva.Ethereal
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-27 16:26:45
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

It's been said but generally for any member regardless of job, I would give them no more than 15 minutes to patch up their connection issues and come back. It's not too difficult to keep going @5. The chains would be slower and there might be some downtime but anything to keep exp going rather than a complete halt. This is why I dislike it when people fake d/c to get out of a party. It's no good to leave everyone else high and dry even if they didn't perform to your liking. Although I am guilty of this time to time >.> Usually when I have to leave immediately and don't have time to explain or log out properly.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-27 16:29:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
I'd say 10-15 minutes. And then you can use that time to look up words like "replacement" in your dictionary.

.................................................... GTFO stop nitpicking at small minor errors. woah he forgot the e in replacement, at least he didn't spell it replasemint or something way off the wall....

10-15 min is most I've seen
 Odin.Aramina
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Aramina 2009-02-27 16:34:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll usually start searching for replacements after 5 minutes and sending /tells at 10 minutes with the information that we had someone d/c and we're waiting to see if they come back.

Especially if it's a DD, most of the ones seeking are just glad to get a nibble, even if it ends up getting away, and if you do need them, they probably spent that 5 minutes between 10-15 getting sanction, last stop at MH/AH, etc.

Also, as mentioned by someone, I have no problem rocking out with 5 for a while if the setup allows it, if you know that your end time is probably not that far off anyway.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-27 16:56:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya, I agree with the consensus of 15 minutes myself. We don't form PUGs much anymore (mostly just build parties within our LS) but pre-level sync we used to try and build the core party (tank healer puller) in house and pick up the DDs, so when people D/C'd for whatever reason (forced or not) we could keep going with 5 for a while until we picked up a rep or the D/C came back. With the exception of one member, we never really D/C much on our end (knock on wood ^^)
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-27 16:56:30
Link | Quote | Reply

If it's a friend of yours and you can get in contact with them offline, then as long as it takes...

If it's anyone else they get 5 minutes as a courtesy... If you wait longer than that you endanger losing your camp because of the downtime. There are folks out there who have no problem w/ respect to camping on you... And seeing 5 people standing around is all the justification that they need.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-27 17:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Get a replacement straight ASAP, and if they were really good, kick the worst member when they get back <_<

I know he was kidding, and I know it makes me sound like an ***, but

If it's a DD, and it sucks, ditch 'em, get someone else. No reason to let your whole party's exp suffer for someone who can't do much damage, and then has to leave for 15 minutes.

If it's a good DD, I'd give them 10 minutes max, unless they had a good reason to take longer. 10 minutes is a long time, and usually when people log out, it's either because they have to mule (90% of the time) or because someone else needs to use the computer.

If it's a GREAT DD, I'd wait all day if I had to. There's not many great DDs left nowadays, and it would be stupid to ditch them.
 Gilgamesh.Xarchangel
By Gilgamesh.Xarchangel 2009-02-27 18:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

All right thanks for the info, person was the PLD and everyone in the party was JP. So i ended up waiting like 15 minutes and asked the party in the auto translate if i should find a new tank, 1 answered and said yes, so i found a NIN. Worked out in the end. But yea thanks for the input, wanted to know what others thought about the situation.
 Garuda.Pastor
Server: Garuda
user: Pastor
By Garuda.Pastor 2009-02-27 19:27:50
Link | Quote | Reply

around 5 minuets maybe another while i eye up possible reps after 10 minuets start asking around
 Bahamut.Cyr
Server: Bahamut
user: Cyr
By Bahamut.Cyr 2009-02-27 20:54:30
Link | Quote | Reply

No AFKing allowed in any of my parties. Insta-kick/replaced, regardless of reasoning.

Bring your poop-socks and piss bottles with you ;;
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-27 21:41:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Cyr said:
No AFKing allowed in any of my parties. Insta-kick/replaced, regardless of reasoning.

Bring your poop-socks and piss bottles with you ;;

lol
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-02-27 21:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used the "my 4 year old fell down the stairs" trick a few times. Generally I wait about 10 mins. If the party absolutely can't keep going without said party member, I'll rep them a lot faster. Generally if the pt is doing well to begin with and I loose one of the DD, I'll keep going because the loss of a party member can be an experience boost. Not always, unfortunately.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-27 21:56:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Pastor said:
around 5 minuets maybe another while i eye up possible reps after 10 minuets start asking around
Well Minuet lasts 2 minutes, so you'd wait 10-20 minutes? <_<
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2009-02-27 21:59:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Pastor said:
Well Minuet lasts 2 minutes, so you'd wait 10-20 minutes? <_<

I see wat u did thar!
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-02 10:44:10
Link | Quote | Reply

rofl, It really does depend on the job, and the quality of the player. Out of courtesy I will wait 5 minutes, give or take, for a sub-par player, but if they've been doing an excellent job of pulling or healing or DDing, I'll probably wait longer.

And I'll wait until every non-lsmate party member leaves the party if it's a linkshell party. Screw them! ;D