Link | Quote | Reply

Here's my THF/NIN gear for level 37. Suggestions please ^^
 Shiva.Ethereal
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-26 00:33:05
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Very solid except I would drop the drones for attack earrings. Especially since that's the stat that VB relies on to kick ***. Also if you can put on a venerer's ring for melee accuracy. Other than that it's very solid.

Oh yeah, get some battle gloves for accuracy then swap to RSE for WS/SATA.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-26 08:27:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Looks extremely good compared to most thf you see. Like Ethereal said grab some beetle+1 and some battle gloves. Picking up a Ven ring and even a shikaree ring till you get to 40 and the good acc rings wouldn't hurt, and lastly PCC is the best neck piece you can wear till like love/ancient torques, def worth it and at lower lvls 10 acc is zomg.
 Ramuh.Brahmdut
Server: Ramuh
user: brahmdut
By Ramuh.Brahmdut 2009-02-26 08:28:50
Link | Quote | Reply

same stuff I used except I had the +1's and no rare ex armor
 Odin.Blazza
Server: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-02-26 08:29:17
Link | Quote | Reply

I love how everyone speaks of peacock charm like you can just run down the store and buy for a few gil. . .
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-26 08:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't remember how it is at lower levels, but STR is far more valuable than DEX at 75. Always a good idea to work a bit of that in. Plus, STR affects THF more than any other melee job, considering their low base STR and fast rate of attacks. Essentially the faster you attack, the more times your added STR is applied, and the more useful it is.
 Cerberus.Jiko
Server: Cerberus
user: Jiko
By Cerberus.Jiko 2009-02-26 08:35:53
Link | Quote | Reply

You can. It's only 1.8-ish Mil.

Server depending.

..You can always camp Argus like I did, though. He's not as bad as people make him out to be :p
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-26 09:15:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
I love how everyone speaks of peacock charm like you can just run down the store and buy for a few gil. . .

Can camp the hecteye, can farm the bc, or can just farm. I know all 3 methods aren't fun, but they aren't impossible either. If it was just some piece to use for a short time on thf only I'd say F it, but its just too good on every single melee job to not go after one.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-26 09:16:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
I don't remember how it is at lower levels, but STR is far more valuable than DEX at 75. Always a good idea to work a bit of that in. Plus, STR affects THF more than any other melee job, considering their low base STR and fast rate of attacks. Essentially the faster you attack, the more times your added STR is applied, and the more useful it is.

no, just no.
 Fairy.Tbest
Server: Fairy
user: Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-26 09:21:05
Link | Quote | Reply

More or less what everyone else has been saying, however... You really should have a WS macro and a TP macro for gear. PCC for tp, Spike for ws; Jaeger/Venerer for tp, Deft x2 for ws. And those drone won't matter nearly as much until 60, so stick with Beetle +1 / Spike til for tp/ws til then and even after 60, only use your agi gear for TA.
 Leviathan.Shadowflame
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Shadowflame 2009-02-26 09:35:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Listen to Tbest, he sounds like hes got his ***down.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-26 10:29:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
no, just no.

Do you follow me around just to disagree with me?

It's common knowledge that at 75, DEX alone will not carry THF to the top of the parsers.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-26 10:34:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Tbest said:
More or less what everyone else has been saying, however... You really should have a WS macro and a TP macro for gear. PCC for tp, Spike for ws; Jaeger/Venerer for tp, Deft x2 for ws. And those drone won't matter nearly as much until 60, so stick with Beetle +1 / Spike til for tp/ws til then and even after 60, only use your agi gear for TA.

This. For TP you maximize your accuracy and attack. For SATA(WS) you maximize your DEX and to lesser extent AGI until 60. Since SA never misses if lined up properly, no need to worry about accuracy on the SATA.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-26 10:39:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Enternius said:

no, just no.

Enternius said:

It's common knowledge that at 75, DEX alone will not carry THF to the top of the parsers.

I believe the OP was talking about THF37/NIN, not THF75 endgame.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-26 10:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Can also upgrade those Windy Kukris to Federation. Also, if/when you go for the Jaeger Ring, be sure to pick up a Voyager Sallet as well. Str+3, Dex+4 is generally a bit more useful in an xp pt than Empress. I forget though, whether its Str+3/Dex+1 will give more dmg in a SATA VB than the Agi+3 of the Empress. >.>

And the OP may be leveling thf to 75 too... So, information about it now sure won't hurt them. =) It wasn't really 'relevant' information.... But, at least it wasn't useless. =)
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-02-26 10:56:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Generally for SATAVB, AGI3 > STR3 DEX1.
 Fairy.Tbest
By Fairy.Tbest 2009-02-26 10:58:43
Link | Quote | Reply

/nod Cool. It's been ages since I've xp'd thf <50. So, then... As Raenryong states, would be a good idea to throw the Sallet on tp gear macro, and the Empress on TA / SATA VB gear macro.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-26 12:21:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Enternius said:
Frobeus said:
no, just no.

No, it just seems you like post in the same threads that intrest me. The way you worded your first post, it sounded like you were suggesting adding in STR into a thf TP build. Where exactly on the 16 equip slots on an endgame thf would you put STR over Haste/ACC/ATT?

Also, to the OP you could use sarashi as well, althouth im not too sure how the small reduction in delay from the belt stacks against the .5 point of acc from merc belt.
 Shiva.Ethereal
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Ethereal 2009-02-26 12:23:38
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Also, to the OP you could use sarashi as well, althouth im not too sure how the small reduction in delay from the belt stacks against the .5 point of acc from merc belt.

I'm pretty sure it's only a 1% improvement to Duel Wield, which affects your TP gain depending on the delay of your weapons, so be careful with that. Way too insignificant to really replace your belt piece anyways imo. Personally, I think you should stick with Mercenary Captain Belt to stack up your attributes until you can use Tilt for TP, and Swordbelt+1 for SATAVB.
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-26 12:32:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, thats what I figured as well, but just one of those situations that somone actually meats the requirements for a latent item that doesn't get used too often.
 Fairy.Lethewaters
By Fairy.Lethewaters 2009-02-26 14:32:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Raenryong said:

I disagree. STR3 > AGI3

PCC isn't the end all. At 60 you can use a Chiv Chain which is very useful to you. Overall the gear is good. Depending on your Race, your RSE can fit in well.

Voy. Sallet (lvl 41) is nice but use it to macro in on your WS if you have one. Otherwise you are good with what you have.

I'd keep the Drones though when pulling. Beetle+1 won't do you wrong. Also, again, depending on your race, You can look into a Tiger Stole for neck. TP in it and WS with the Spike.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-02-26 15:03:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Lethewaters said:
Raenryong said:

I disagree. STR3 > AGI3

Viper Bite

If you notice, Viper Bite has no STR modifiers. STR3 will give 1-2 attack only for this weaponskill.

Trick Attack
wiki said:
If this ability is used by a player with Thief set as their main job, the next strike (not subsequent attacks such as in a multi hit weapon skill) will also receive a large boost in damage based on user's AGI. Weapon base damage will increase by 1 for every point of AGI the player has.

AGI3 > STR3