How Long Does A Soboro Last?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » How Long Does a Soboro Last?
How Long Does a Soboro Last?
 Odin.Darkmoose
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-02-27 12:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Yessir it is (re: RDM/PLD tank in EG).

Back to the original thread from this tangent we've ended up on (partially my fault).

Soboro is good forever. However, it's not good always (Not good on Chariots in Nyzul Isle... for example) so use your noodle in deciding when to use it or stow it.

You won't want to have only Soboro, so probably look for Oni/Ushi/Shin (I tend to favor Oni/Ushi of those) and eventually a Hagun, depending on how serious you are about your SAM.

In most cases you probably won't EXP with Soboro once into the 70s, but it's worth bringing around.

The massive TP feed is a big issue until you're at a point that mobs die so fast that it doesn't matter (Or if you're on something that is a TP Hax anyway, like Zipacna). One of these days I'm getting a damn Peiste Belt +1 to see how +15 Subtle Blow + /DNC Subtle *** trait helps negate the TP flow while soloing.
 Bahamut.Satanas
Server: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2009-02-27 13:32:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I love my Soboro as /war my dmg is not that high at 100-300% but since i get TP fast i go /thf and normally WS at 200/300% with Sneak attack and do an average of 800-1200 dmg at lvl 65-70 and my str is sitting at around 51 with food,hasso and basic equipment, i'm at lvl 70 atm but once i get to 72 i will get a Hagun which in the end will outparse my Soboro
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
Server: Midgardsormr
user: frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 13:47:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Satanas said:
I love my Soboro as /war my dmg is not that high at 100-300% but since i get TP fast i go /thf and normally WS at 200/300% with Sneak attack and do an average of 800-1200 dmg at lvl 65-70 and my str is sitting at around 51 with food,hasso and basic equipment, i'm at lvl 70 atm but once i get to 72 i will get a Hagun which in the end will outparse my Soboro

While the higher number WS's are pretty, your killing your overall damage by subbing thf and sitting on tp. Soboro isn't for spike damage but for volume damage. Also for a weapon with such a low damage rating the loss of berserk is pretty serious.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-27 13:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

TO answer the OP, I'd say, "Till you get to it's candy center?" oO
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 14:03:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Onnnnneeeeee

ahh Twooooooooo

ahh Threeeeeeeeeee

Crunch!!!

Three!
 Bahamut.Satanas
Server: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2009-02-27 14:09:33
Link | Quote | Reply

true since i'm fighting imps atm i've seen single digits of melee dmg in there :D.. but i love seeing imps HP drop down fast in just 1 WS and since those *** amnesia me all i can do is store tp and WS at 200-300%
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-27 14:16:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Frobeus said:
Onnnnneeeeee

ahh Twooooooooo

ahh Threeeeeeeeeee

Crunch!!!

Three!

Thank god I'm not the only one in here who remembers those commercials!
 Midgardsormr.Frobeus
By Midgardsormr.Frobeus 2009-02-27 14:16:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Imps suck - - but, at least they give sweet sweet xp.
 Odin.Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-02-27 16:31:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Haha, god yes, the Imps force you to kick their butts with 1.3k+ WS because of the forcibly stored TP.

I always have to tell my tank (I can't help it, they made me do it). At least I use Warding Circle when I can on them.
 Ifrit.Tognesss
Server: Ifrit
user: Toglol
By Ifrit.Tognesss 2009-02-27 16:43:06
Link | Quote | Reply

You said it great in the first post; use your noodle.
Know what sub you are using, what role you are filling, what you are fighting and then equip yourself accordingly.
There is that Sobro multi-hit Sidewinder spam set up I've seen before. /rng lol
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-02-27 17:20:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I know this thread is a little old but someone back on the first page said it, and I'm just here to agree.

SAM with POLEARM is going to beat DRG at anything 55-70, and a GOOD SAM will beat DRG at 75. Turns out being able to spam Pentas for 1.4k each is a lot better than a DRG doing a 1.6k Drakesbane.

And another thing I forgot to mention, even though Soboro lacks in base damage, it still has all of the same STR as you would have for any other weapon. Base damage barely affects your WS damage, and it's almost all STR. Soboro uses the exact same STR as other weapons. In other words, If you have a lot of STR for WS (70+ at least) then you should be able to WS almost as hard as Onimaru or Shinsoku users at the same level.
 Odin.Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-02-27 19:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

There's definitely a noticeable difference (in WS dmg), but it's really not as bad as many people think. Just try and see ^^
 Diabolos.Megatron
Server: Diabolos
By Diabolos.Megatron 2009-03-02 10:55:29
Link | Quote | Reply

last night i did just that. while camping Ose. as my SAM/RNG @ 65 with a capped GK and archery. with a STR and Ranged Acc setups i did the following things. NOTE: i was simply there capping skill with friends. so i didn't have any food. nor BRD t ocast buffs on Us. and Hasso was used on all WS except the Ranged ones.

Zanbato vs Soboro thats 73 Dmg vs 40 Dmg
Tormals- IT to me at 65
Zanbato avarage Dmg 79-97 per swing
Soboro Average Dmg 35-69 per swing
Zanbato Gekko Damage 399-512
Soboro Gekko Damage 359-480 (had one hit at 539 but only 1)
Sidewinder (550-729) Scorpion Arrows War Bow+1
Barrage (97-405) Scorpion Arrows War Bow+1

we killed Tormals for about 2 hours me a THF and a WHM the THF is a 75 SAM and we descussed and debaited the entire time getting pointers and ideas. and figuring out how to improve both setups. he is a Devoted Hagen Supporter. his Stance is Hagan > all.... stil lat this time. the Soboro is effective beyond the current GK's at my disposel.
 Odin.Darkmoose
By Odin.Darkmoose 2009-03-02 17:45:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I typically hit over 500 on Mamool at the staging point merit camps, with 600+ not uncommon (with Soboro). I tend to use Y/G/K/R and try to SC off everyone else in the party that I can, which usually nets an extra 200-500 damage depending on resist and level of the skillchain.

NIN love Blade: Jin (rightfully so), so Kasha makes Gravitation, if you have Soboro, you can very likely push that to Darkness with Gekko. Figure Kasha (500) + Grav (200) + Gekko (500) + Dark (750). That's assuming low or no resists on the SC damage, but that's literally almost 2k damage in a few seconds (with a Soboro)and half of that is the freebie you get by knowing skillchains (and just sell all your SAM gear if you're going to be Gekko only, please, just do it) and taking advantage of them.

When I have a Monk, I'm always looking for Asuran (Gekko) or Dragon Kick (Kasha) and well, you get the idea. You can easily gain 500-1000 extra damage PER FIGHT if you know your skillchains and can ad lib them as they are available. I have TP so fast going full out in merits (remember, I typically merit /DNC with Soboro, Hasso, and full Haste gear) that I don't even shy about popping a Hobaku if a BLM is doing something mean, like Thundaga III.

It's really all playstyle. The merit I had the other night was LS ppl. NIN/WAR, SAM/DNC, DRK/SAM, COR/NIN (DD style, m.kris slug spam), RDM, and BRD. The BRD dinged 75 in it and the RDM said it was the most fun she'd had in meripo in ages. Me being /DNC lets me do a few things. On mobs like Puk, I can just sit there and face-tank it, because I'm draining back as much HP as it's hitting me for, and the constant Drain Samba II allowed the DRK to go Hasso and balls out the whole time, because the RDM always had MP when she needed it.

I put up decent enough numbers with my funblade, but more than that, it lets everyone else uncork it a little bit more, too. That's more fun to me than being /NIN and when crap is happening in the party, all I can do is keep whacking away.
 Valefor.Zacknafein
Server: Valefor
user: Genryu
By Valefor.Zacknafein 2009-03-03 09:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I keep seeing posts that state 72+ soboro is for /Dnc and /Rng only, wheres the /Drg love?

Its been well documented that a skilled, properly equipped and supported soboro sam/drg can keep up with the Hagun Sams just fine, it takes a little more concentration and effort to pull off, but its certainly possible.

Sam/Drg's strength isnt in big numbers, but in its impressive DoT. Soboro's double and triple attacks can proc on jumps, meaning you can get upto 50tp per jump. Between meditate, sekki and jumps you can pretty much spam self skillchains indefinately.

Combine that with the tasty 5% haste earring availiable only to /drg and it puts most sams very close to the haste cap, throw in haste/march and the combo is a monster.