Forum » Everything Else » Fan-Art » Modelviewer Convert MQO to DAT Error
Modelviewer Convert MQO to DAT Error
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-12-07 22:09:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Alright, so my file check borked all my .dats, which was whatever. I had all of the MQO's saved in folders for each of the mods I did. Now, the problem is whenever I do Convert MQO to DAT, Modelviewer crashes. Note that there's nothing wrong with these MQOs (at least it worked completely fine before the recent version update) so I'm thinking there's something up with the version update that makes it not work? If you have any idea what's going on please halp. :(
 Leviathan.Bassclef
user: Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-07 22:21:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, something similar the exact same thing happened to me while I did a file check. Thing is I didn't uninstall the DAT mods before the File check. Using Korith's Mod Manager in tandem with Model Viewer causes the both the mod and original DAT to be "tied" together. If one is accidentally deleted while they're swapped causes MV to disassociate the two.

To be clear, the MQO is TIED to the specific DAT it's from. If it's gone or swapped before converting, MV will crash.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-12-07 22:26:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Uuugh, what do you suggest... do I just have to make them all from scratch again? :x
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-12-07 22:27:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually I think I have a fix. D:
 Leviathan.Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-07 22:33:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, if you just use DAT mods, you'll have to check if they were swapped with SE's... thus resulting in re-downloading the mods of that's the case. But since you said you've made DATs yourself... Hmm, I'm guessing there's a type of "signature" put to keep track of the originals in MV, thus causing the crash with the back-ups received from the File Check.

If you don't...

Leviathan.Niniann said:
Actually I think I have a fix. D:

Oh, okay. If you need any further assistance, let me know.
 Leviathan.Niniann
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-12-07 22:53:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Model Viewer saved the dats in a "restore .dat from backup" Saving them in .dat form this time instead of just thinking the MQOs will work again in case this crap happens again. :<

Thank you so much for your help~

Also there does seem to be a 'signature'.
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
Server: Diabolos
user: Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-12-07 22:55:52
Link | Quote | Reply

If you try to convert a MQO to a model that is not the model you originally converted, it will cause a fatal error and crash. If you have, however, kept a copy of the model (anything altered in Metasequoia will not bork it but if you add or remove or edit things in VRS it will) even without the changes that the MQO applies (ie texture or movement in Meta) then applying the MQO will work. You may have to re export the dat and switch some files names around in that case though, but that takes like 5 seconds and half a brain cell ^^

You can get some real fun stuff when you successfully apply an earlier MQO to a model that has been taken through VRS, results such as this:

(I am SOOOO lucky that I hadn't yet closed the VRS project on that one...)

But usually, it will be nice to you and close MV instead of letting you screw yourself over ^^

(it has to do with the fact that Meta does not have correct properties for altering skeletal weights for ffxi models, and the MQO file is what is altered by Meta.)
 Leviathan.Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-07 23:01:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, and she appears! XD Couldn't have said it any better myself, Kami!
By Artemicion 2010-12-07 23:02:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I wish I was as smart and fancy as all you guys to make dats >.>
 Leviathan.Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-07 23:06:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Artemicion said:

DAT modding isn't as difficult as you may think. Changing colors is the most basic form. All it requires is Model Viewer, a photo editing program (GIMP does fine (it's FREE) if you don't have Photoshop), and a steady hand with the mouse.
 Diabolos.Lilywolf
Server: Diabolos
user: Lilywolf
By Diabolos.Lilywolf 2010-12-07 23:11:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Bassclef said:
Artemicion said:

DAT modding isn't as difficult as you may think. Changing colors is the most basic form. All it requires is Model Viewer, a photo editing program (GIMP does fine (it's FREE) if you don't have Photoshop), and a steady hand with the mouse.

Bass can attest to this as he bothered me mere weeks ago to try his hand at it, and was about as lost as they come :) Now he is a regular professional !! And I've only had about 6 months on it myself (beyond basic recolors). To be fair though, I enjoy it so it comes more easily to me than people who are afraid of or hate modding :x
 Leviathan.Bassclef
By Leviathan.Bassclef 2010-12-07 23:15:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Lilywolf said:

Bass can attest to this as he bothered me mere weeks ago to try his hand at it, and was about as lost as they come :) Now he is a regular professional !! And I've only had about 6 months on it myself (beyond basic recolors). To be fair though, I enjoy it so it comes more easily to me than people who are afraid of or hate modding :x

I can't believe I forgot to set the .dds to DXT3 at the end. /facepalm
By Artemicion 2010-12-07 23:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Might give it a shot when I have the time and patience to learn the basics. I'd love to recolor the hair on some mithra faces sometime.
Especially since my kitty is named Ramona.

Anyways, thanks for the tips on what software I need to get started.
I also have that POLUtility program thing called Pebbles which gives me access to data files in the directories so I can mess with them.
You know, the whole 2-D structure wrapped around a skeleton to make a 3D model.