Massive Inflation, Wasn't It GREAT?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Massive inflation, wasn't it GREAT?!
Massive inflation, wasn't it GREAT?!
 Asura.Reublucian
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user:
By Asura.Reublucian 2009-02-17 05:46:02
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

i remember a story my friend told me of this guy getting a Kirins osode, and putting it in his bazaar so he didn't drop it, and someone bought it out of his bazar for 99,999,999g lmao he was mad to so I'm assuming it was more than that at the time?
 Midgardsormr.Ashky
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Ashky
By Midgardsormr.Ashky 2009-02-17 08:24:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I got 6 PCCs back then when I did it with a static. We were insanely lucky and went something like 6/15. We sold 3 PCCs for 33 million each and then kept a PCC for each of us. So basically we each made 33 million gil and had another 33 million in an item.

I bought 2 Sniper's Rings (NQ) for 5 million each. Then I bought a NQ Scorpion Harness for 9 million. If only I had sold all of that and sat on the 66 million...
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
Server: Gilgamesh
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-17 08:26:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea sucks we used to make 25 mil off of a craft now we lose gil trying to make it
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-02-17 09:26:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Xxnumbertwoxx said:
.but the new peeps were pretty much *** unless they bought gil, which contributed to inflation, and on and on...

Not really, what I did during my first month was chaining Warp I quest :< Sounds a bit RMT'ish, but whatever, it worked pretty well. 100~120K per scroll, 2 scrolls per hour (from A to Z, mule creation > buying fame item to get to rank 2 asap > zoning in & out like a dozen of time to get fame 2 > warp scroll > transfert it back to main char > deleting mule > repeat).

200~240K/hr, more than enough for a beginner, I even could buy my Airship pass 500K at the Jeuno dude, cause at the time it was faster to get 500K than to even get half-way to rank 5.

Inflation made ***easy for everyone.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-17 09:38:11

It's my belief that inflation didn't hurt anyone. What earned you 6M back then, earns you 600k now, but what costs 5M then, costs you 500k now. For the most part everything is just traded in smaller gil amounts now, but I hope everything has remained proportional.

There's 1 advantage to inflation that I just recently noticed, which is NPC prices. I leveled goldsmithing back in the day when inflation was rampart, so buying 300 gil silver ores from the NPC was small change, even when bought in mass amounts. Now all those 300 gil ores are starting to stack up at 14,400 a stack, plus the cost of fire crystals.

15,000 was nothing back then, I shrugged it off. But when I start making multiple stacks of silver ingots in today's market just so I can synth them all later into useless items purely for skill ups, starts adding up after awhile.

I for one miss inflation. I liked seeing the big numbers, sure 1M wasn't much back then, but I still liked seeing it. Call it a placebo effect.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-17 09:45:08
Link | Quote | Reply

I miss the inflation too, it was all the people complaining about gilsellers and how they would camp the NM in my opinion. Now they have this huge task force and you can be a victim of rmting for something stupid. like buying waay to many craft items to craft and try to hq and then someone reports you for it cause they suspect rmt.... So many things now you can get banned for that wasn't a problem to me then. The only thing I saw mostly an issue was the pos hacking for nms and using those cheats to get the claim on the nm.

Now we live like we are in real life, trying to conserve gil and survive. :(

I liked harvesting, farming back then for gil. I wish I did save all that gil I made off of bcnm's and junk.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-17 10:15:30

Red Moko Grass was how I funded my complete Baron's Set for my RDM way back when.

Today's prices are a waste of time though. Sure the Red Moko Grass could still pay for the Baron's set but..
 Asura.Farmdog
user: Farmdog
By Asura.Farmdog 2009-02-17 10:53:58
Link | Quote | Reply

When I leveled up my first job high enough to buy a Hauby it was 12 mil. I made most of that mining platinum ores that sold for 250k each. Then I let someone borrow it and didn't get it back (lesson learned) but a friend of mine quit a few months later and she gave me 2 mil which was enough to buy another hauby due to price declines.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-17 10:59:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I started playing just after the "great inflation" era according to my friend (He had played right through it when he got me into the game.) When I started the game I sold stacks of Crystals for nearly 8k each in Bastok. Good times!

It's really fascinating to read about what seems cheap now costing loads way back then. I know things sold for a lot more back then, but still... Kirin's Osode for 45m? Jesus... I wouldn't even pay 2mil for one, let alone 45m.
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2009-02-17 11:02:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Lot's of things were high up, Kirin's pole was about 300k, Monster Signa was over 3 mil i think, seer;s gear was like 1 mil + for a set, so much stuff was so high and now priced way below even the total amount of materials to synth
 Asura.Snooj
user: Snooj
By Asura.Snooj 2009-02-17 14:11:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I used to Camp Spook on mule with a PS2 controller for my PC that i can just hit the Turbo button and it would spam voke like crazy and i would claim most of the time. Was able to raise to prices to 600-650k for 2 months on Traveler's mantles. Playing game just to camp spook cause i was unstoppable (made 80mil)

Used to camp leaping Lizzy average 2-3 drops per day sold each for 3.5mil

All this gil i USED to have.... spent 30mil on a Demon's Cloak, Morion Earrings +1 10mil each, Astral ring's 6mil each and random items i can not remember... IF I ONLY KNEW!!!!!
 Fenrir.Carth
Server: Fenrir
user: Carth
By Fenrir.Carth 2009-02-22 02:53:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, inflation, how I (slightly) missed you.

There were a lot of things, but the thing I remebered most was Erase being 500k, now for a mere 4k. This actually irritated me because my friend from years back couldn't level WHM past 32 until she got this. With some help from me, BCNMs, and farming, she was eventually able to get it. Phalanx was about 150k, now for about 6k, which also irritated me as well. However, I am glad that scrolls are no longer so heavily pricey.

That's about the only thing bad about inflation however. If it was perhaps a year or two ago, I'd be pro-deflation due to NPC selling, but now that SE decided to kick us in the rear and cut sales prices in half, I'm pro-inflation. Everything was pricey as hell, but there was massive amounts of profit everywhere. Practically a stack of anything could easily net you in a good amount of money. In the end, that's what counts, because now with the deflated prices, it's incredibly hard to make money due to a selected amount of items actually worth trying to stack and sell off.