Massive Inflation, Wasn't It GREAT?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Massive inflation, wasn't it GREAT?!
Massive inflation, wasn't it GREAT?!
First Page 2 3
Server: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-14 23:02:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Was sitting in WG a little bit ago, and someone was /shouting about the current economy being crap. This, of course, elicited a response from a few people about how NOTHING compares to how bad things were 3-4 years ago...they're right, of course ^^

That being said, what are some absolutely ridiculous prices you remember from back in those days? Fun little trip down memory lane, for those that were around in those days. I had just started out, so the biggest ones I can remember are Dark Crystals and Sleepshrooms selling for 20k + a stack, Gold and Darksteel ores 20k a piece. A 75 WHM friend of mine doesn't even wanna talk about how much she spent on Erase...still very bitter about it considering how much harassment she got for not having it as soon as she dinged 32...

Anyways, so how about it? What did you buy for a fortune, only to watch fall to mere pennies after the mass bannings?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Shiva.Phioness
Server: Shiva
user: Phioness
By Shiva.Phioness 2009-02-14 23:07:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Scorpion Harness +1 for 12 mil .. now worth only 500-600k.

I did get back to back Peacock Charm drops when they were worth 20 mil a piece and that made me rich as hell (now worth only 1.5 mil)

Also remember Kraken clubs going for as high as 150 mil
 Fairy.Evilaru
user: Evilaru
By Fairy.Evilaru 2009-02-14 23:12:59
Link | Quote | Reply

for the new peeps here a peek of how economy it was way way back then ^_^

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2234/fairy7vw.jpg
 Ifrit.Dinarii
Server: Ifrit
user: Dinarii
By Ifrit.Dinarii 2009-02-14 23:20:14
Link | Quote | Reply

biggest one i remember was selling my e-bow for something between 15-20m. that was a gooooood ways back. the astronomical prices on ammo. and the fact that they didnt have quivers at the time. so leveling ww just to cushoin the blow of ammo costs was nearly a rng requirement let alone a space saver. and evil... WOW those prices bring back some really horrific memories LOL
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2009-02-14 23:27:46
Link | Quote | Reply

It sure was different back then. You could go and kill any number of NM's and get drops worth millions.

Ofcourse you'd have to camp your *** off with 250 other ppl as well. lol
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-14 23:32:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Traveler's Mantle 250k -> 10k
Meat Mithkabob ~40k -> 3k
Chiefkabob ~50k -> ~8k/9k
Scorpion Harness 8m -> 150k
Vermillion Cloak 9m -> 600k
 Shiva.Tigris
user: Bour
By Shiva.Tigris 2009-02-14 23:41:38
Link | Quote | Reply

I think it was 4 years ago, leveling RDM. Phalanx, if I recall correctly was roughly 400k+, now it's less than 10k. Also remember getting all my teleport scrolls just to sell them for over 400-500k a pop. Now most of them are under 30k. Spectacles over 2m, now about 70k. Even a year and a half ago when I bought my Haubergeon, it was about 1.2m, now down to 250k. Stupid economics ;_;
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-14 23:43:53
Link | Quote | Reply

I like inflation. It's not bad for me. I am of course a crafter, i made BANK during inflation with only a skill level of 86 in my craft... I make much, much less now at 100 skill =(

I did pull good profit from it via a weskit lol, i rocked blm in errant body during inflation, but *** i payed 600k for the thing and it shot up to 15mil, do you blame me?

Inflation was indeed great things you listed on AH would sell much, much faster and at higher prices, for the average player though it wasnt even really bad, it's all the same relatively since across the board prices were higher due to more demand for items, it's not like it's something to *** about when you can kill a thunder elemental and get 20k gil, people bitching about it were just lazy :P

It's much easier to make money no matter what it's off of when there is demand for items, and fast sales.
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2009-02-14 23:49:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Woodsman Rings used to cost more than Sniper's at 1.8 mil a piece. Good times.
 Kujata.Maidak
Server: Kujata
user: Maidak
By Kujata.Maidak 2009-02-15 00:06:04
Link | Quote | Reply

personally i wasent around when the inflation was that bad but i was around 2-3 years ago and i think i bought my sh +1 for like 1.5m and i got that cheap from a shout in Wg
 Unicorn.Fosgate
user: Fosgate
By Unicorn.Fosgate 2009-02-15 00:16:15
Link | Quote | Reply

All i have to say is Noble's tunic, 26 mill, sold it a year later for 6 mill.. and look at the price now
 Caitsith.Frysia
Server: Caitsith
user: Frysia
By Caitsith.Frysia 2009-02-15 00:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Sapplings Selling for 300-350k was nice. And Platinum Nuggets selling for about 100k a Stack 4 stacks from each mule, 7 mules, I made like 2mil in profit off Nuggets every 2 weeks back then from all my gardening mules, lol.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-15 00:41:55
Link | Quote | Reply

in all reality though, 26 mil then was = 6 mil when you sold it = what it is now, you can still buy the same amount of ***for it.

In other words, when an in game economy is in an inflation or recession it's all the same since prices across the board are affected. I personally would say that inflation is better due to more demand for items, even if it's higher prices there are more money making opportunities, to sit here and look back on it and call it bad is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.

Anyone could make money fast then, now you have to cheat yourself out of money to make a sale.

I think the in game economy now sucks much much worse now than then, items selling with speed is much more of a boost to anyone's pocket... even if you're farming earth crystals or tiger fangs or something. I farmed gold orcmasks a ton back then, desynthed ingots were 100-200k profit per drop, could net a mil in about an hour.
 Asura.Malekith
Server: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2009-02-15 00:45:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't y'all wish you had kept maybe a fraction of that gil to spend in these deflated times?
 Unicorn.Smurfo
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-02-15 00:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

nah, i do have that kinda gil :P
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
Server: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2009-02-15 00:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

During one of the inflations... NQ SH's were 13mil... and the HQ was 20mil+ >_>
I remember being pissed because the week before SH went up like... 5~ times, i had done an ODS, where in a stupid moment, i said split to a BLM Merc group... and of course, v claw dropped. The claw was only worth like 2-3mil at the time, but like i said, a week later SH skyrocketed T_T
So I basically only got 600k instead of the 13mil i could've gotten D;

Also, Peacock Charm used to be 17mil, and its now like 1.7mil lol ;o
Got one of those and ended up buying a Haubergeon, with my 1/3rd share, for 5mil... and now its 200-300k? lol T_T
 Caitsith.Monsterrain
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Monsterrain 2009-02-15 01:49:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if this was common practise on all servers but back when i made my first character maybe 2005 or 2006, whm's used to camp the Dunes and charge for raises lol!

this was carbuncle server btw.
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-15 02:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Monsterrain said:
Not sure if this was common practise on all servers but back when i made my first character maybe 2005 or 2006, whm's used to camp the Dunes and charge for raises lol!

this was carbuncle server btw.

God, that's rough...I've only ever paid for one raise, and that was only because a friend and I died to a Gnowle right underneath the the Maw in Jugner (S) before we could get through and unlock it. I force D/C'd so I could log onto a mule and shout in Jeuno for someone willing to come back there quickly and raise us so we didn't have to run all the way through La Vaule again...that ***was scary enough the first time lol

Every other time, someone was more than happy to do it for free, and I've paid it forward many times myself since then. ^^

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Judda
Server: Valefor
user: Judda
By Valefor.Judda 2009-02-15 02:18:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember i used to farm for gil... no i farm and get enough to pay my chocobo rides ... >_>
 Shiva.Artemicion
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-15 02:58:47
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I regret not starting a craft during the inflation days to get away with mass quantities of super cheap NPC mats. Oh well...
 Ifrit.Showmo
Server: Ifrit
user: showmo456
By Ifrit.Showmo 2009-02-15 05:21:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Inflation = Cheap Vendors & Dynamis/Limbus/etc fees
Farmable synth mats (Silk thread, tree cuttings, etc) rose along with the equipment so its technically the same inflated or deflated. The main difference would be the NPC merchandise
 Bahamut.Stanflame
Server: Bahamut
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-02-15 05:54:38
Link | Quote | Reply

kclub was 300 mil on my server.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2009-02-15 06:05:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Monsterrain said:
Not sure if this was common practise on all servers but back when i made my first character maybe 2005 or 2006, whm's used to camp the Dunes and charge for raises lol! this was carbuncle server btw.

Haha this happened all the time when I was on Gilgamesh about a year ago, strangely haven't seen it since I moved to Leviathan.

I would have prefered the inflation to what we have now, I wasn't around but like people have said now you have to cheat yourself out of gil by undercutting to sell anything, which makes people angry who are getting undercut and is kinda depressing too at times lol.

Some of these prices mentioned are crazy though. Out of interest what caused the mass inflation and what stopped it? Was it always there from start of game or was it RMT?
 Diabolos.Scooby
Server: Diabolos
user: aguilarjr
By Diabolos.Scooby 2009-02-15 06:50:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I remember the following:

Rabbit Charm = 4mil
Astral Ring = 1.2 mil
Regular Crystals = 2k
Travelers Mantle = 100k
Bomb Ring = 35k
Mistic Silk Cape = 50k

Thats about all I remember.
 Diabolos.Scooby
Server: Diabolos
user: aguilarjr
By Diabolos.Scooby 2009-02-15 06:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

RMT had a lot to do with inflation. They brought it more money which circulated around the economy. People also crafted old school. They went out to farm their crystals and synthesis items. They didn't buy much, but sold everything they made. With items being made out of free stuff and new money circulating, people began to craft more of the same items which ended up becoming a battle of who could sell it more cheaper without losing profit.

Get it?

Celestinia said:
Monsterrain said:
Not sure if this was common practise on all servers but back when i made my first character maybe 2005 or 2006, whm's used to camp the Dunes and charge for raises lol! this was carbuncle server btw.
Haha this happened all the time when I was on Gilgamesh about a year ago, strangely haven't seen it since I moved to Leviathan. I would have prefered the inflation to what we have now, I wasn't around but like people have said now you have to cheat yourself out of gil by undercutting to sell anything, which makes people angry who are getting undercut and is kinda depressing too at times lol. Some of these prices mentioned are crazy though. Out of interest what caused the mass inflation and what stopped it? Was it always there from start of game or was it RMT?
 Bismarck.Alana
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Alana 2009-02-15 07:05:25
Link | Quote | Reply

2 behe rings for 1.5mil each
all NQ stafs for 500k each
Spiders torque for 700k
hawkers knifes x2 150k each
Snipers 600k x1
100 biny bill x4 5 mil each
M.Silver piece x 14 5mil each
L.jade shells x 10 5 mil each

/cheers

but im still a happy person
 Phoenix.Scorp
Server: Phoenix
user: TimScorp
By Phoenix.Scorp 2009-02-15 07:27:30
Link | Quote | Reply

1mil per stack of demon arrowheads. About 600k profit with all reasonable HQ rate.
 Asura.Kathlyn
Server: Asura
user: Kathlyn
By Asura.Kathlyn 2009-02-15 08:00:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Iqgira Weskit > 15M+, i bought it 2,6M whe TOAU and ISNM came out, and now it's around 15k T.T
Elemental Torque was 6-8M, i got it for 6,3 and now it's... 250k-ish
First Page 2 3