Best Pet StraightTank Gear & Atmas?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Beast Master » Best Pet StraightTank Gear & Atmas?
Best Pet StraightTank Gear & Atmas?
By Warviper 2010-11-08 11:12:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi Guys.

I was wondering if people could help me list what would be the longest surviving Pet option atm. with the current gear and Atma's in the game?

Im thinking of a Pet that could do best vs. a NM that is also casting Magic like waterja and Water V etc.

Atm I'm using Atma of the Ebon Hoof for 30% HP increase to my Pet.
And Atma of Tremors for dmg-10%

But BST has never been my main job but now with abyssea im enjoying it more and more and now I wanna upgrade my Equip and also focus on getting whatever Atma might make my pet maybe not the best DDer but the longest surviving solo pet and thus also helping me gain more time for my call beast timer.

Suggestions for Gear and Atma to increase and prolong pet survivability vs. an NM casting Magic and also hitting normally of cause?
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-08 11:28:54
Link | Quote | Reply

well fatso the leech has high water resist and yuly has high eva and wind resist while the sheep is just strait def and hp same for liz though liz can do eva up ja. Now far gear there's several good trial axes to enhance pets like -9% pdt axes and eva axes(good for yuly) and other mag resist ones. Theres also other gear to enhance pet from hands droped by dragonscaled amamool in mamook that are +5% def to a -2% dmg taken neck in miserec coast , belt that umm think -2% mag dmg taken. to pallas shield and askar dirs that each +10 pet def. Side not ull also want a good rewardf set consiting of +mnd and + reward % also khmira or the simlar hat that lowers recast on reward. With a good build u cna be reward for aroudn 1500 a biscut almost every min and then nort mention the regan med used with reward that is 1% of a pet hp every tick making it be able be like 50 hp a tick on some pets.

Now atmas im a lil weak on i know theres a counter/agi/crit hit one in miserex coast and def/vit on in canyon, From what i know some the high regen ones can be good to though dont know specific ones at moment.

also theres af3 and + acc gear liek herders not gonna bother geting into .

EDit: theres also i beleive the stat down axes for if u melleing with your pet though dont know triger rates on them.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-08 11:38:32
Link | Quote | Reply

one thing that really sucks though is not being able macro axes since they share same name.
 Ragnarok.Holyman
Server: Ragnarok
user: Holyman
By Ragnarok.Holyman 2010-11-08 12:03:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Atma of Vicissitude
Defense: Major +40 , Magic Defense Bonus: Minor , Regen: Major 15 HP/tick

Atma of the Lion
Triple Attack: Minor 5% , Physical damage taken: Minor , Lightning Attack: Major +40

Atma of the Ebon Hoof
HP+: Superior +30% ,Enhance Resist Sleep Effect: Superior

Atma of the Stronghold
Attack: Major +40 , Defense: Major +40 , Regen: Major 15 HP/tick

Atma of the Adamantine
VIT: Minor +20 , Defense: Major +40

Atma of the Twin Claw
Defense: Major +40 , Magic Def.Bonus: Minor , Enhance Resist Charm Effect: Minor

Atma of the Impregnable Tower
HP+: Superior , Magic Accuracy: Major , Magic Critical Hit Damage: Major

Atma of the Gnarled Horn
Counter: Minor , Critical Hit Rate: Major ,AGI: Major

Atma of the Strangling Wind
STR: Minor +20 , VIT: Minor +20 , AGI: Major +30

Atma of the Mounted Champion
VIT: Superior +50 , Regen: Superior 20 HP/tick , Enmity decrease when taking damage: Minor

Atma of the Cradle
VIT+: Minor , DEX+: Minor

Atma of the Sanguine Scythe
HP+: Major , Critical Hit Damage: Major , Enmity+: Minor

Atma of Apparitions
Evasion: Minor , Wind resist: Major

Atma of the Shimmering Shell
Agility+: Minor , Fire resist: Minor

Atma of Cloak and Dagger
Accuracy+:Major , Evasion+:Major , Enhances "Resist Death" Effect:Minor

Atma of the Heavens (Ovni)
Magic Accuracy+:Major , Physical Damage Taken-:Minor , Enhances "Resist Paralyze" Effect:Major
[+]
By Jabel 2010-11-08 12:47:04
Link | Quote | Reply

First of all: merit things like Reward and Call Beast recasts. These are a vital necessity when doing BST. Those few seconds saved in either JA will save your and your pt time and time again.

Second: get a reward setup. ZoraalJa's Axe (2 if /DNC or /NIN), Orge Gloves, Monster Gaiters (relic, so hard to get), Palla's Shield, and all the +MND gear you can find.

Third: get some Magian trial axes done. These are a HUGE help. I would reco the following: +Pet Mag Eva or Def, +Pet Eva, -Pet Phy Dmg, and if in a pt the +14 Pet Acc one. These will take some time to get, but are at least goals to have - so a luxury for now, but necessity for later if you keep using BST in Abby.
 Hades.Warviper
Server: Hades
user: Warviper
By Hades.Warviper 2010-11-08 13:53:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Jabel said:
First of all: merit things like Reward and Call Beast recasts. These are a vital necessity when doing BST. Those few seconds saved in either JA will save your and your pt time and time again.
Done :)

Second: get a reward setup. ZoraalJa's Axe (2 if /DNC or /NIN), Orge Gloves, Monster Gaiters (relic, so hard to get), Palla's Shield, and all the +MND gear you can find.
Done :)

Third: get some Magian trial axes done. These are a HUGE help. I would reco the following: +Pet Mag Eva or Def, +Pet Eva, -Pet Phy Dmg, and if in a pt the +14 Pet Acc one. These will take some time to get, but are at least goals to have - so a luxury for now, but necessity for later if you keep using BST in Abby.

The NMs I´ve tried would require some running away to avoid aga magic etc. on my own character, so im pretty much not meleeing myself and relying solely on my pet(s).

Ive begun working on physical dmg reduction axe but this wont help stuff like waterja being cast on my pet so maybe mag eva is the way to go, anyone know if 2x mag eva pet axe's really does something or just rarely helps the pet?

Last but not least, as far as Atma goes im pretty hooked on Ebon Hoof for the 30% HP Boost, but im not sure on what to choose for my 2nd Atma in sitations where HP / Magic Resist is better than a physical reduction Atma for the Pet.

Thnx for the input so far guys ^^
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-08 13:58:20
Link | Quote | Reply

dont forget soemtimes the best defense is a good offense, ofensive atmas that speed up kills or hits both shorten time your pet got live and can interfere with what the mobs does liek spell inturpts and stuns for jasor even trait downs like att down and acc down. Also again depending on the mob the pet alone came make the issue like yuly did good on loard varney while sheep more or less got raped. Even been told that yuly on some nms can solo or duo with its eva and right atmas.
 Sylph.Tsujikiri
Server: Sylph
user: Tsujikiri
By Sylph.Tsujikiri 2010-11-08 14:06:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
dont forget soemtimes the best defense is a good offense, ofensive atmas that speed up kills or hits both shorten time your pet got live and can interfere with what the mobs does liek spell inturpts and stuns for jasor even trait downs like att down and acc down. Also again depending on the mob the pet alone came make the issue like yuly did good on loard varney while sheep more or less got raped. Even been told that yuly on some nms can solo or duo with its eva and right atmas.

^

I use RR and Ebon Hoof alot lately. Thinking of making Ebon hoof SS when i get that one. The crit damage helps proc's alot so NMs go down quicker.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-08 14:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Tsujikiri said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

^

I use RR and Ebon Hoof alot lately. Thinking of making Ebon hoof SS when i get that one. The crit damage helps proc's alot so NMs go down quicker.

RR wiht the tripel att atma on yuly prob be devastatign specially if u got +acc gear to wear also
 Odin.Brahk
Server: Odin
user: Brahk
By Odin.Brahk 2010-11-09 09:43:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Been using razed ruins and stronghold. As mentioned the extra crit damage helps NMs go down quick and the extra defense and large regen of stronghold help keep pet alive long!

Also, I didn't see this mentioned when skimming the thread but a HUGE help is to use the Healing Salves (I & II). This is something I overlooked when I first started. The salve I can be purchased from the cruor prospector at the start of each zone and the salve II can be purchased from the Bastion guy in the Scars areas. Salve I heals 50% of pets HP and salve II heals 100%. These are seriously God-sends.
 Odin.Jryan
user: jryan
By Odin.Jryan 2010-11-09 09:49:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Mounted Champion +20 regen +50 VIT Enmity decreased when taking dmg.

Siren Shadow: Evasion (Major) Attack (Major).

On Yuly this is just sick on a physical based fight, as many things can't hit her, and when they do hit her she recovers quickly via auto-regen +20.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-11-09 10:30:45
Link | Quote | Reply

The only problem with equipping attack atmas is that a lot of the time you don't WANT the NM to die fast, as you have a lot of ws's that you need to get through. A lot of abyssea NMs there's almost no point in killing at all if you're not going to trigger the !! weaknesses.
 Bahamut.Cerusa
Server: Bahamut
user: cerusa
By Bahamut.Cerusa 2010-11-09 12:34:54
Link | Quote | Reply

It's to bad they didn't raise carries Lv.
She really was the best tank. But its hard when fighting any mage type Nm's,that seems To be the biggest challenge for jug pets. Been playing beast a long time,there's not a lot of magic def gear out there for pets.
By Jabel 2010-11-09 12:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Cerusa said:
She really was the best tank. But its hard when fighting any mage type Nm's,that seems To be the biggest challenge for jug pets. Been playing beast a long time,there's not a lot of magic def gear out there for pets.

BST Affinity merits take care of that. With 5 merits CC can now reach lvl 85
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-09 13:07:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Jabel said:
Bahamut.Cerusa said:

BST Affinity merits take care of that. With 5 merits CC can now reach lvl 85

dont matter cc and new jugs are based on diff systems. old jugs were based on being easy prey mobs while new ones are basedon being even match if not higher also with hp boost and acc + full job traits.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-09 13:17:36
Link | Quote | Reply

maybe next update they will give us a pld type type like CC though not sure what type it could be. Also somethign along the lines of lifedrinker and a decent slime jug, (fatso was a let down). Not mention give soem them better ready abuiltys seems liek they leaving out the usefull ones on several pets.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-11-09 13:18:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Heimdall said:
one thing that really sucks though is not being able macro axes since they share same name.

I've macro'd numerous things that share the same name and it worked fine. 2 flame or thunder rings before I got a Rajas, or 2 Merman Earrings for MDT set.

/equip main "Zoraal Ja's Axe"
/wait 1
/equip Sub "Zoraal Ja's Axe"

don't see why it wouldn't work
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-09 13:23:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Bojack said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

I've macro'd numerous things that share the same name and it worked fine. 2 flame or thunder rings before I got a Rajas, or 2 Merman Earrings for MDT set.

/equip main "Zoraal Ja's Axe"
/wait 1
/equip Sub "Zoraal Ja's Axe"

don't see why it wouldn't work

umm because they got same name but different stats..

all trial axes fully done are named Guichard's Axe+1 sept for the ws and maybe multi hit ones. No matter what the stats are.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-11-09 13:36:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Olfar said:
Caitsith.Heimdall said:

Yeah, I wish the Guichard's line had unique names. It sucks when you own 4 Guichard's and are trying to set macros up. The only ways around this, so far, is to either manually change in equipment or satchel the one(s) you don't need atm. When I'm in a PT in a DD role I'll use str/attack Guichard's with oat offhand. But when I'm soloing I need to satchel the str/attack one so its not being equiped instead of the 2 pet ptd axes after reward macro. It would also be nice to have different names on the magian axes for certain sic macros:

/ja "Some pet magic attack" <me>
/equip main "Guichard's Axe with pet mab+9"
/equip sub "Guichard's Axe with pet mab+9"

:(
yep messed up thing is staffs do have diff names based on elements. Now for the MAb axes that just for charmed pets that can nuke or is there a jug pet that can use that i not noticed?
 Leviathan.Gotterdammerung
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Gotterdammerung 2010-11-10 22:35:24
Link | Quote | Reply

i would use a good reward set + full Cb and reward merits.
The max pdt for pet atm is higher tan 36% lower than 37%
then u can also make NQ guichards with magic def bonus for pet to put ur MDT at higher than 37% lower than 38%

If u know the element of the NMs spells there are some pets with extra damage resistance. Like fatso fargann vs water. otherwise i would use sheep for the added hp. Dipper is also a good choice.

Remember to use ur 2 hour as a HP booster not a s apower booster. save ur 2 hour to that moment when CB is down and reward wont be up for 10 seconds but pet is almost dead. Familiar can heal the pet a few % buying time for that 10 sec reward to tick down.

As for atma i would use mounted champion and vicicistude (sp)
for some extra magic def bonus and around 35 regen a tic. This regen is very potent towards pet longeivty and has allowed me to straight tank big nms like ironclad cleaver for long periods of time on 1 sheep.

Other than that there are movement strategies u can imploy. For instance if the NM has any long casting time spells like Ancient magics u can use heel to make the ept run out of casting range whenever u see those spells.
You can also use kiting to prolong a pets life long enuf to get to the next reward. Example wait til ur pets at 20% then heel and kite until reward is up. engage pet and repeat again at 20%. And lastly u can use the abandon strategy. Wich is to support pet a little bit until ur completely out of timers then run away a good 150 yalms. The NM will chase u when it finishes off its pet but the time it takes covering the distance usually takes enuf time to have CB ready when it finally finds u.