Post deleted by User.
 Ramuh.Laffter
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Rocketpop
By Ramuh.Laffter 2010-10-30 20:35:27
Link | Quote | Reply

You don't wait very long, do you?

Also, verify your character! Darn anons.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
Server: Lakshmi
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-30 20:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

No, BST doesn't have any omgwtfleet gear you should get before you hit 75+. Almost everything is bought off the auction house. Besides standard stuff R/E stuff like Swift Belt. Just make sure you have a good charm set.
 Leviathan.Draylo
Server: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-30 20:51:56
Link | Quote | Reply

You need gear to chest leech?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Carbuncle.Sterling
Server: Carbuncle
user: Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-10-30 20:58:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Just the really obvious here: Light/Apollos Staff, Haubergeon as soon as you can equip it and Hauberk as soon as you can equip it, Chivy chain and Potent belt. Those were really just the main pieces to always have. It will be good to keep up with both a melee set and a charm set. I can't tell you how annoying it is to see all the Abyssea BSTs meleeing in BST AF. Oh, and your Viking Axes if you don't have them already and then maybe go get a Tungi and a Fransisca if you're up for it. These are just the really obvious though and you can find them all on any BST equipment guide.
 Hades.Stefanos
Server: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-10-30 21:03:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Josiahkf said:
I've been lvling bst and am about to go 50-85, not completely in Abyssea though, over the next few months. My question is; are there any really important pieces I definitely need to have to ding into? (like utsusemi Ni for nin37 etc) anything I should go camp or acquire now? I have cooking and alchemy lvled so making my own food and jugs wont be a problem, I dont want to miss anything amazing like a belt with pet dmg taken-20% or some ***lol

Thanks in advice if anyone has any suggestions

Awesome CHR+ body piece and great for /mage. With Sacrarium being uncapped, there's no excuse to not have this.

Awesome charm piece and good for the killer+. I wouldn't hit 60 without it.

I'll have to add more to this when I get more time.

[+]
 Lakshmi.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Lakshmi.Hypnotizd 2010-10-30 21:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, I did overlook the gaudy harness. That is actually a must have! Can't believe I forgot that!
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-10-30 21:10:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I won't lie, I almost never used Gaudy. I was always /DNC, /NIN. I really liked it for the few times I used /BLU but for some reason, even with WHM as my main I never liked using WHM as a sub for BST. It is a really nice idle piece though!
[+]

Post deleted by User.
By don114 2010-10-30 21:13:28
Link | Quote | Reply

/dnc or gtfo... seriously just get urself a RR and ur good to go
 Cerberus.Valmur
Server: Cerberus
user: Valmur
By Cerberus.Valmur 2010-10-30 21:25:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Just don't be a full perle bst please... D:
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2010-10-30 21:26:52
Link | Quote | Reply

why not

Post deleted by User.
 Leviathan.Belius
user: Belius
By Leviathan.Belius 2010-10-30 21:34:14
Link | Quote | Reply

don114 said:

/facepalm

/whm = SS/Blink/RR/-na/Erase/divine seal.
/dnc = USELESS without TP, BST is always changing main equips. Heals and -nas share recast timers, and spectral jig sucks.

Seriously, learn to use the right sub for the right place/etc or GTFO.
[+]
By Heillon 2010-10-30 21:37:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont like the idea of chest leeching on bst. It takes away the fun of the job.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
user: Minipie
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-31 00:04:04
Link | Quote | Reply

if you really love bst just get all af3 pieces, and the glymp axe, bst is cheap and good dd, i had tons of fun when i was playing ffxi, everyone is using /dnc now, specially bst's take your time with nin subjob you won't use it much as /dnc , because leveling a subjob is painful now because no1 looking for pt these days, try to get everything with reward enhancements like the bst af2 body and af1 boots/ double zoral ja's axe are good for reward boost . it will help a lot, it cures lots of hp to the pet, giving more time to tank ,you will save money on jugs as well,when you reach 80 or 85, magician trials will be so easy to do as bst/nin, mobs dies so easy and fast because pets hits like a truck + your damage, try to get all the addons argumentable gear, shantoto/kupo/crystaline, and put pets stats on it, it really good specially when you put damage reduce on those

at the end if you like it a lot and use it frequently.. consider to level cooking unless you have the budget for jugs
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-31 00:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Belius said:
don114 said:

/facepalm

/dnc = USELESS without TP, BST is always changing main equips. Heals and -nas share recast timers, and spectral jig sucks.

Leviathan.Belius said:
don114 said:

/facepalm

why you want na/erase spells when you have /dnc with no mp cost..?
i don't think bsts should be charming ***now with all the overpowered jugs available and meritable pet levels, specially when this game is all about abyssea now and nothing can be charmed, no need to change weapons as well, rr earrings are cheap, dnc it's not useless, is actually one of the most relevant sj's atm
and i rather use jigs instead snk/invisible, the recast/casting is instantly even if it wears off in 2 minutes
 Carbuncle.Sterling
By Carbuncle.Sterling 2010-10-31 00:28:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I can understand the old skool BST love for /WHM, but /DNC is such a lovely sub for BST. Quick step is so nice to use for those times when pet acc is a problem (which it really was pre-75 before the new jugs and ACP body) and the fact that /DNC gives an ACC boost anyway is just amazing for BST. If your pet is keeping hate properly, you should have more than enough TP during a fight to throw out some steps, Curing and Healing Waltz when or if you need it along with Drain Samba, and then WS the mob to death at the end. Spectral Jig is also really great for soloing considering it only takes one second to click off snk and reapply snk and invis instantly, which is a lot less unnerving to me than having to find a hiding spot and recast both buffs. 160 MP on /WHM really doesn't do much for me and I'm not one to waste my slots on +MP gear or sit out to rest MP for a fight. Another trick I love for /DNC is Animated Flourish + Snarl if the mob keeps turning to me for whatever reason. Plus, /DNC is really just nice in general for any job in Abyssea now considering how annoying sperm Sleepga is anyway @_@ Oh, did I mention freakin dual wield now? Too hawt.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Emanuelle
By Lakshmi.Emanuelle 2010-10-31 00:32:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sterling said:
I can understand the old skool BST love for /WHM, but /DNC is such a lovely sub for BST. Quick step is so nice to use for those times when pet acc is a problem (which it really was pre-75 before the new jugs and ACP body) and the fact that /DNC gives an ACC boost anyway is just amazing for BST. If your pet is keeping hate properly, you should have more than enough TP during a fight to throw out some steps, Curing and Healing Waltz when or if you need it along with Drain Samba, and then WS the mob to death at the end. Spectral Jig is also really great for soloing considering it only takes one second to click off snk and reapply snk and invis instantly, which is a lot less unnerving to me than having to find a hiding spot and recast both buffs. 160 MP on /WHM really doesn't do much for me and I'm not one to waste my slots on +MP gear or sit out to rest MP for a fight. Another trick I love for /DNC is Animated Flourish + Snarl if the mob keeps turning to me for whatever reason. Plus, /DNC is really just nice in general for any job in Abyssea now considering how annoying sperm Sleepga is anyway @_@ Oh, did I mention freakin dual wield now? Too hawt.
i couldn't say better
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-10-31 02:08:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Belius said:
don114 said:

/facepalm

Don't listen to this guy. /DNC was the second greatest thing to happen to BST, with the greatest thing being decent jug pets.

Beastmaster is an incredibly difficult job to play correctly, unless you plan on being a newfag bst drone that just throws Nursery Nazuna at your problem, you need to be adept in any situation.

Subjobs
As far as subjobs are concerned, I always prefered /DNC, even before the Dual Wield patch. Even if you are charming your pets, you don't swap the primary slots enough to make it moot to TP. Often the battles that a BST is involved in will perfectly compliment the use of /DNC. Debuffing, Sambas and curing consuming excess TP, and utilzing the last of your TP to finish the monster off with a weapon skill. It was a perfect match from the get go, and if you can't see that, you're one of the aforementioned Sheep-launching drones, unfit to don the mantle of BST to begin with.

The Whitemage Subjob is more effective in situations where you will not be engaging with your pet, or in Duo situations, even more so at 80 when you have access to Haste from the support job. A BST/DNC and a BST/WHM make a powerful combo almost anywhere. There's not much more to say that shouldn't be basic sense to begin with now.

Ninja Subjob has actually lost favor since the jug pet boots, and reward boosts, though certainly not useless. I prefer /DNC in situations that would call for /NIN, because with snarl, reward and the new pets, shadows are (Virtually)useless for anything but AOE. attacks. Combine that with the fact that the Dancer subjob gains very effective enfeebling, healing and even some damage augmentation (Accuracy Bonus) and the Ninja Subjob really leaves little to recommend it. Still, it's advisable to keep it available when and if the situation changes, or one of the few times you need it creep up on you.

Equipment

Until 76, if you make good on your stance to completely ignore key-*** leveling, charming is still your bread and butter to sustain an XP flow. So naturally, whatever you can do to floor your charm resist rate takes top priority. I've had the job leveled for a very long time now, so I'm not sure what lower-level details I'm missing (That hasn't already been pointed out in a previous post). with one very important exception (Apollo's staff) look up the piece that has the most CHR, and get it. It might be worth meantioning that the only two (last I checked) CHR mantles available for Beastmaster are both rare drops from NMs. Lyricist's Gonelle and Ferine Mantle. You can probably skip right past the Gonelle if you have the dedication (or have the luck) to take down Raskovnik for the Mantle. Even if you don't, the Gonelle is a temporary piece, and not really worth the effort anymore.

The good news about the CHR set, which has since fallen out of use since our Jug pets are worthwhile now, is it can be used to aid in the damage of Primal Rend. The weapon skill is definitely worth getting if you don't mind a little work.

Up to the mid-high 70's your DD sets are standard fare for any attacking role. It comes down to personal assessment of hate and battle progress to determine when to go all in, or when to hold off for a pet swap or something. That really can't be taught without experience, and is more-or-less irrelevant once you hit 76. Endgame DD, you'll want to hit hard and fast, like any DD, but at this point you'll be able to snarl enmity onto your jug pet. With that said, there are some pieces you might want to consider, that augment your pets attack power, at perhaps a slight detriment to your own

mirke wardecors
*Pet Acc -> Must have.
*Pet Atk -> Debatable
*Pet:Crit/Dbl -> Debatable
*Self: Acc -> Debatable
*Self: Dual Wield -> Debatable

anwig salade
*Pet: DmgTkn-10% -> Must Have
*Pet: Haste +5% -> Debatable
*Pet: Regen -> Debatable

spurrer beret
Highly Recommended

ferine mantle
Must have for dedicated BST

punisher [Evolves into]-> Richardet's axe +1
*Occasionally Attack Twice(Blobdingnag Path)
One of the single biggest DPS improvements available for beastmaster, but incredibly hard to see all the way through
*OccAtk.2-3 times. Great for /DNC samba and TP build, but lacks the DPS punch that will turn heads on a parse.

Pets

I always get asked by aspiring beastmasters which pet is "The best", and I always have to say the same long winded answer, "That depends on the task at hand;"

These are the only four I recommend, through intense experience.

Dipper Yuly: This is my "Ace in the hole" pet, there are few situations this little ladybug can't take on. Be it tanking Natrix in Walk of Echoes, or safely pulling Lord Varney out of the batswarm, Yuly can do it all, and put up one hell of a fight afterwards. exceptionally evasion, and two great debilitating TP moves, Yuly is a powerhouse that takes on all challenges. Always keep a stack available. Additionally, DipperYuly is virtually impervious to any and all Wind Attacks. Be it an Aero from a Level 12 wind Elemental, or Aeroga IV from Absolute Virtue, Yuly will take single digit damage 95% of the time. All this comes at a price however, around 65,000 for a Dozen on the Odin Server.

Lucky Lulush: Deceptively cute, and downright deadly, Lucky Lulush is a hammering 1yalm tall killmachine. Double Attacks frequently, Hits hard, and has the single strongest Pet TP move (Foot kick, able to deal 800+ to HNM's) you call upon Lulush when caution is thrown to the wind, and you want to max your offensive power. LuckyLulush is however, prone to swift death, as it is soft, has comparatively few HP, and has the Evasion of a sea cucumber at the top of the Rockies. Forunately, she's not particularly expensive.

Fatso Fargann: A new addition to the Beastmaster arsenal, Fatso Fargann is a respectable, and fairly cheap pet, with a few interesting quirks. Most notably, it heavily resists blunt damage, which the majority of enemies in FFXI attack with, giving it an edge in combat where you can't afford the expensive Yuly jugs. Fargann also has a considerable water resist trait, though nowhere near as potent as Yuly's Wind resist ability. It's TP abilities are lackluster, but it hits fairly hard with standard attacks (around 120 on most targets).

Nursery Nazuna: The proverbial Brick Wall of the Animal Kingdom. Nursery Nazuna boasts, by a huge margin, the greatest HP reserve of pets ever to grace the planet. Coming in at just under 5,000HP at 85, Nazuna is best deployed in situations where the pet may not directly have hate, but will be suffering considerable damage. It's choice TP move is Rage, which can totally negate the bonus HP by virtue of sustaining catastrophic damage per strike, but at the same time, bumps Nazuna's damage past any other available pets, save Lucky Lulush's powerhose kick. More importantly, Nazuna is dirt cheap, and is effective for brainless Swarm tactics.

I feel this post has gone on long enough, I hope I've helped somewhat with my insight.
 Leviathan.Belius
user: Belius
By Leviathan.Belius 2010-10-31 08:36:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I like how you all argue the merits of /dnc 76+ when the thread is all about 50+.

OP asked about not chest bitching to 85, they asked about slowly doing it through the months, which means bomb camps, goblins, and ladybugs and best still, Aht.

By all means, if you think subbing /dnc on bombs, whether it be in Garliage or the La Vaule is a great idea, go for it.

I also didn't discredit the use of /dnc. I'm pointing out the fact that /dnc isn't as glamorous as that guy is making it out to be and /whm should be your first choice of sub unless you KNOW you won't need it.
[+]
 Ifrit.Bigmojo
Server: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Bigmojo 2010-10-31 08:42:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Leviathan.Belius said:
don114 said:

/facepalm

Don't listen to this guy. /DNC was the second greatest thing to happen to BST, with the greatest thing being decent jug pets.

Beastmaster is an incredibly difficult job to play correctly, unless you plan on being a newfag bst drone that just throws Nursery Nazuna at your problem, you need to be adept in any situation.

Subjobs
As far as subjobs are concerned, I always prefered /DNC, even before the Dual Wield patch. Even if you are charming your pets, you don't swap the primary slots enough to make it moot to TP. Often the battles that a BST is involved in will perfectly compliment the use of /DNC. Debuffing, Sambas and curing consuming excess TP, and utilzing the last of your TP to finish the monster off with a weapon skill. It was a perfect match from the get go, and if you can't see that, you're one of the aforementioned Sheep-launching drones, unfit to don the mantle of BST to begin with.

The Whitemage Subjob is more effective in situations where you will not be engaging with your pet, or in Duo situations, even more so at 80 when you have access to Haste from the support job. A BST/DNC and a BST/WHM make a powerful combo almost anywhere. There's not much more to say that shouldn't be basic sense to begin with now.

Ninja Subjob has actually lost favor since the jug pet boots, and reward boosts, though certainly not useless. I prefer /DNC in situations that would call for /NIN, because with snarl, reward and the new pets, shadows are (Virtually)useless for anything but AOE. attacks. Combine that with the fact that the Dancer subjob gains very effective enfeebling, healing and even some damage augmentation (Accuracy Bonus) and the Ninja Subjob really leaves little to recommend it. Still, it's advisable to keep it available when and if the situation changes, or one of the few times you need it creep up on you.

Equipment

Until 76, if you make good on your stance to completely ignore key-*** leveling, charming is still your bread and butter to sustain an XP flow. So naturally, whatever you can do to floor your charm resist rate takes top priority. I've had the job leveled for a very long time now, so I'm not sure what lower-level details I'm missing (That hasn't already been pointed out in a previous post). with one very important exception (Apollo's staff) look up the piece that has the most CHR, and get it. It might be worth meantioning that the only two (last I checked) CHR mantles available for Beastmaster are both rare drops from NMs. Lyricist's Gonelle and Ferine Mantle. You can probably skip right past the Gonelle if you have the dedication (or have the luck) to take down Raskovnik for the Mantle. Even if you don't, the Gonelle is a temporary piece, and not really worth the effort anymore.

The good news about the CHR set, which has since fallen out of use since our Jug pets are worthwhile now, is it can be used to aid in the damage of Primal Rend. The weapon skill is definitely worth getting if you don't mind a little work.

Up to the mid-high 70's your DD sets are standard fare for any attacking role. It comes down to personal assessment of hate and battle progress to determine when to go all in, or when to hold off for a pet swap or something. That really can't be taught without experience, and is more-or-less irrelevant once you hit 76. Endgame DD, you'll want to hit hard and fast, like any DD, but at this point you'll be able to snarl enmity onto your jug pet. With that said, there are some pieces you might want to consider, that augment your pets attack power, at perhaps a slight detriment to your own

mirke wardecors
*Pet Acc -> Must have.
*Pet Atk -> Debatable
*Pet:Crit/Dbl -> Debatable
*Self: Acc -> Debatable
*Self: Dual Wield -> Debatable

anwig salade
*Pet: DmgTkn-10% -> Must Have
*Pet: Haste +5% -> Debatable
*Pet: Regen -> Debatable

spurrer beret
Highly Recommended

ferine mantle
Must have for dedicated BST

punisher [Evolves into]-> Richardet's axe +1
*Occasionally Attack Twice(Blobdingnag Path)
One of the single biggest DPS improvements available for beastmaster, but incredibly hard to see all the way through
*OccAtk.2-3 times. Great for /DNC samba and TP build, but lacks the DPS punch that will turn heads on a parse.

Pets

I always get asked by aspiring beastmasters which pet is "The best", and I always have to say the same long winded answer, "That depends on the task at hand;"

These are the only four I recommend, through intense experience.

Dipper Yuly: This is my "Ace in the hole" pet, there are few situations this little ladybug can't take on. Be it tanking Natrix in Walk of Echoes, or safely pulling Lord Varney out of the batswarm, Yuly can do it all, and put up one hell of a fight afterwards. exceptionally evasion, and two great debilitating TP moves, Yuly is a powerhouse that takes on all challenges. Always keep a stack available. Additionally, DipperYuly is virtually impervious to any and all Wind Attacks. Be it an Aero from a Level 12 wind Elemental, or Aeroga IV from Absolute Virtue, Yuly will take single digit damage 95% of the time. All this comes at a price however, around 65,000 for a Dozen on the Odin Server.

Lucky Lulush: Deceptively cute, and downright deadly, Lucky Lulush is a hammering 1yalm tall killmachine. Double Attacks frequently, Hits hard, and has the single strongest Pet TP move (Foot kick, able to deal 800+ to HNM's) you call upon Lulush when caution is thrown to the wind, and you want to max your offensive power. LuckyLulush is however, prone to swift death, as it is soft, has comparatively few HP, and has the Evasion of a sea cucumber at the top of the Rockies. Forunately, she's not particularly expensive.

Fatso Fargann: A new addition to the Beastmaster arsenal, Fatso Fargann is a respectable, and fairly cheap pet, with a few interesting quirks. Most notably, it heavily resists blunt damage, which the majority of enemies in FFXI attack with, giving it an edge in combat where you can't afford the expensive Yuly jugs. Fargann also has a considerable water resist trait, though nowhere near as potent as Yuly's Wind resist ability. It's TP abilities are lackluster, but it hits fairly hard with standard attacks (around 120 on most targets).

Nursery Nazuna: The proverbial Brick Wall of the Animal Kingdom. Nursery Nazuna boasts, by a huge margin, the greatest HP reserve of pets ever to grace the planet. Coming in at just under 5,000HP at 85, Nazuna is best deployed in situations where the pet may not directly have hate, but will be suffering considerable damage. It's choice TP move is Rage, which can totally negate the bonus HP by virtue of sustaining catastrophic damage per strike, but at the same time, bumps Nazuna's damage past any other available pets, save Lucky Lulush's powerhose kick. More importantly, Nazuna is dirt cheap, and is effective for brainless Swarm tactics.

I feel this post has gone on long enough, I hope I've helped somewhat with my insight.

Well said, I agree.
 Sylph.Iyashi
Server: Sylph
user: Iyashi
By Sylph.Iyashi 2010-10-31 16:25:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Sterling said:
I won't lie, I almost never used Gaudy. I was always /DNC, /NIN. I really liked it for the few times I used /BLU but for some reason, even with WHM as my main I never liked using WHM as a sub for BST. It is a really nice idle piece though!

Would also throw out there that Gaudy can have a moment or two of usefulness /nin if low on hp with two rune axes equiped.
 Titan.Xantavia
Server: Titan
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2010-11-05 03:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

On the topic of the gaudy harness, go and get it on bst. Soloing my JSE in the aquaducts when the cap was still in place felt like such a huge accomplishment. Nothing like trying to charm a VT with the resist charm trait. You get 2 shots at it every 2 hours. At this point, its more of a novelty doing it this waye, but since you seem to want to go old school style.... :)

Post deleted by User.
[+]