Spook And Other Low Lvl Money Makers?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Spook and other low lvl money makers?
Spook and other low lvl money makers?
 Caitsith.Monsterrain
Server: Caitsith
Game: FFXI
By Caitsith.Monsterrain 2009-02-03 17:19:04
Link | Quote | Reply

why do i see level 75s at spook on my alt? i mean a lvl 75 thf should be able to grab something better than a 10-15k piece away from a low level character.

I am sure it is still a nice money maker but at lvl 75 when you out-claim a lvl 19 rdm just trying to make some $ for cure 2 do you feel good?

i mean to be honest...it seems like a 25 year old playing dodge ball with 6 year olds...i guess some ppl feel good outclaiming noobs, but i think they are the ppl that got their lunch $ stolen as kids.
 Remora.Jehoshaphat
Server: Remora
By Remora.Jehoshaphat 2009-02-03 17:24:00
Link | Quote | Reply

In the amount of time that you camp spook you could be doing other things that are much more rewarding gil-wise. Follow this mini-guide I've made for low level players. It should help you for a good while at least.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=928330&topic=39955261
 Caitsith.Monsterrain
By Caitsith.Monsterrain 2009-02-03 17:24:05
Link | Quote | Reply

gah why even ask this question, these are the same players that will camp on top of an exp pty to get field of valor crap. omg i get 400 exp for killing 5 mobs that were like 40 exp a piece solo...thats uber >.>
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-02-03 17:50:59
Link | Quote | Reply

I know a lot of people that camp spook because it's easy money while they're afk. They only have to look at their screen for like 10-15min per hour and can make ~40-60k or so from it.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-02-03 17:53:37
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Try Morion Worm.

Spawns exactly every 15 minutes, and you can use your THF to flee through the tunnel. It’s kinda hard to explain the path you take, but needless to say you can check each possible spawn location in 1 single, not so straight, line. Just move on from each possible spawn location until you eventually find it.
 Shiva.Artemicion
Server: Shiva
user:
By Shiva.Artemicion 2009-02-03 18:04:24
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

As a low level you can easily make some decent gil right on your own outskirts through various mobs and methods.

If you're starting out in Sandy, concentrate on rabbits, bats, sheep and orcs. Rabbit hides stack and can be turned in 3 at at time for a repeatable quest that yields a handful of gil and will get your fame established. Also bat wings are used for a repeatable quest and yield 200 gil for every pair. Sheeps can drop meat and skins in plentiful supply and the skins can be crafted into stackable wool which quite valuable on the auction house. And orcs well, they always drop gil anyways, and it doesn't hurt to NPC those orcish axes and scrolls you don't need. And if you're extremely lucky you'll have a chance to claim the NM Jaggedy-Eared Jack. Good luck with getting the drop however, it's extremely rare.

For bastok, making runs around the various hills yields great gil potential killing bees and sheep in particular. Same story as above with sheep, and bees drop beehive chips and honey with decent drop rates. Not to mention killing these will give you a shot at the NMs Stinging Sophie and Carnero if you wish to obtain a Beestinger or that level 10 Great Katana.

Windy probably has it the best for low levelers. Crawlers have the potential to drop silk threads which are ever so popular and valuable in stacks on the auction house; these also can drop their little bowel stones which can be handed in at a repeatable quest giver 3 at a time for 600 gil. Along with crawlers you have bees for the same yield mentioned above and a chance to claim NMs such as Tom *** Tat and Spiny Spipi for a possible Mist Silk Cape and Fruit Punches.

Hopefully this mini-guide helps out. If farming isn't your forte, one can always try fishing for a more mellowed pace of profiteering.
 Caitsith.Monsterrain
By Caitsith.Monsterrain 2009-02-03 18:26:38
Link | Quote | Reply

alright, i see a few responses that tell low lvl players where to farm...but this doesnt answer my original question.

Spook...on ffxiah what is the highest it sells for? does a lvl 75 rdm or a 75 thf really NEED to farm these mobs???

eh, unless i get an answer why maxxed out lvls farm lvl 13 mobs, i will just assume they are either mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE or too sh*tty a player to actually challenge other players their own lvl on other camped NMs
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-03 18:32:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Spook is serious income, he's up there with Bigmouth Billy (Sandworm's little brother) on value per drops. No freaking surprise RDM 75 and THF 75 are camping him. Three spawns a night too! What a fast respawn time!

But seriously, I don't know. There are plenty better things to camp.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-03 19:06:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Looking at your equipment, I can't figure out if your post was sarcastic or not.

I mean on one hand, you could be being serious, but on the other hand, I'm not sure all the +1s and Abjurations were bought off months of Spook camping.

I do love the attitude though, they're noobs because of what? You're camping the same NM as them, doesn't that make you a noob too? And because people did it to you you'll do it to others? Brilliant perspective, I admire you so much for that.
 Asura.Celene
Server: Asura
user: Celene
By Asura.Celene 2009-02-03 19:58:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
I know a lot of people that camp spook because it's easy money while they're afk. They only have to look at their screen for like 10-15min per hour and can make ~40-60k or so from it.
Exactly. Some people don't have the time to sit around and do some hardcore farming. *shrug* Of course there are much better things to kill at 75 but when you're on a tight schedule sometimes the little things will just have to make do.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-03 20:29:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I think some times it's people just having a laugh. Spook is a pretty commonplace joke amongst higher level players, usually always enjoying the fact that RMT bother camping a 15k drop. Whenever I, and many of my friends, pass through that way for whatever reasons, I stop to see if it's up at night time, and actually wait around if it's not, even if someone else is there.

It's pretty sad, I know, but it's "for the lols", for lack of a better expression. If the person camping were to send me a tell I would probably move and carry on with my business, but they never have. I guess people are afraid to ask.

There are certainly better places to farm for gil though and I would never camp Spook for that reason. I can't understand anyone who would either, when there's just so much better any 75 can farm for much more result.

Superiority complex maybe? People like out claiming low level characters just to make themselves feel bigger. "<Person> ROFL I just outclaimed this mad noob on Spook, what a noob lol". I'm sure we all know of somebody like that!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-02-03 20:35:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
Just skimmed over the posts, but a low level money maker NM would be Ashmaker Gotblut in Yughott Grotto. Level 25(ish?) orc.

Drops either:

Hermit's wand / 90-95% drop rate / 2k~ on AH

Priest's Robe / 5-10% drop rate / 10-20k~ on AH

He has only 4 orcs in his area, and one of which is the PH. (Neckchopper). Pops 1hr 15 min~

:P

Shhhhh, it's my best kept secret!

Stray Mary is actually a good NM to camp low level. I camped a lot when i was a beginner for the money, and ended up making about one million from six camps. I did get very fortunate on the drop (2/6) and back then the Horns were 500k each. They're 120k now on Garuda at least.

Just make sure you check the Wikipedia for placeholder details and sub Ranger. Needle in a haystack otherwise.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-03 22:24:54
Link | Quote | Reply

God, I remember my first trip to KRT, was doing that Sandy mission down there, minding my own business, I turn a corner and it was like laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagtastic, there must have been 40 people down there lol...of course, that was back when the Traveler's Mantle sold for a small fortune. Nowadays don't really see too many people camping him anymore...

Ashmaker's a good easy NM to go after, I used to spend a lot of time mining down in Yughott and always tried to pop him while I was down there. Alas, the drop rate (or my luck) really sucks, I only ever managed to get one Priest's Robe, which I kept for myself.

But yeah, at low level really the best thing to do is sell everything you can, make sure you always have signet so you can get crystals. Also, the Eggstravaganza should be coming up soon, unless they change it this year (god forbid) you can make some pretty good money bazaaring eggs. I made 200k doing that right after I first started playing, pretty much paid for all my lower level gears ^^
 Sylph.Decimus
Server: Sylph
user: Octavius
By Sylph.Decimus 2009-02-03 22:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

At 20 or 75 it's still money. I'm sure there are lower level players with a lot more money than I have. I'm not saying I (75 thf) would camp Spook, but farming 60k an hour, for me at least, takes a level 35 craft and a lot of widescanning.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
Server: Fairy
user: effedup
By Fairy.Xxnumbertwoxx 2009-02-03 23:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Bartimaeus said:
NMs like Ashmaker are also more viable when you take into account things like the amount of traffic in a zone like Yughott Grotto, as opposed to Ronfaure (Jaggedy Eared Jack).

Plus you can mine between spawns and make some money that way too...last I saw Gold and Darksteel Ore's still went for like 5k each in Sandy, and pickaxes are pretty cheap...