Drks Everywhere Rejoice Or Sulk?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Drks everywhere rejoice or sulk?
Drks everywhere rejoice or sulk?
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-09-08 11:53:40
Link | Quote | Reply

The amount of TP obtainable by the Job Trait "Occult Acumen" has been increased
-finally! hope this would be useful

Crit. Atk. Bonus DRK Lv.85 Improves power of critical hits.
-yay

Endark: DRK Lv.85
Aero III: DRK Lv.84
-woo more spells

The following weapon skills have had their attributes adjusted:
Herculean SlashAxe/Infernal Scythe
-will these actually be good nao >.>?

and WTF?
The exclusive weapon skills for relic and mythic weapons may now be used by level 75 or higher characters even when they are being subjected to a level restriction.
 Bismarck.Nexdeus
Server: Bismarck
user: Greyfin
By Bismarck.Nexdeus 2010-09-08 11:56:02
Link | Quote | Reply

The relic thing just makes it so they can still use the same WS that used to be available to them @ 75, which was then set to just 80 with the finished trial, usable by a 75 again. I'm sure the weapon itself gets scaled back down to its original damage while under level sync.
 Caitsith.Heimdall
Server: Caitsith
user: Heimdall
By Caitsith.Heimdall 2010-09-08 12:01:39
Link | Quote | Reply

relic ws requires kill shot with the ws so be hard find mobs aat85 that give xp and wont kill lot of jobs.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-09-09 04:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I was using Infernal scythe on demons in Ulegarde Range or however you spell the zone, was doing 480ish Damage with no MAB gear on, its definatley been buffed. I also tried out Herculean slash doesnt seem to be improved at all WS is still lame X:
 Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
user: Fleed
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-09 19:06:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Herculean Slash has indeed increased its damage. I was dealing low 300s before the update and now it's consistently in the 490s.
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-09-09 21:41:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe thats what the emergency maint was for? Mine were doing ***dmg before maint, havent tried it since though.
 Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-09 23:09:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Unsure. Emergency maintenance apparently went totally under my radar, this is the first I've heard of it.

Additional findings:
- Occult Acumen now converts 10% of MP spent to TP when casting applicable spells. It's also affected by Store TP. Not a major bonus, but if you're at 98/100, Drain tends to be faster than waiting for the next swing...
- Endark is hilarious. Damage starts out pretty awesome - 50 in initial testing, unsure if it can go higher - but it drops by 1 point with every hit you make afterward. I never bothered getting a Plaga Scythe, so I don't know how the Add.Eff.Darkness damage will stack up against it, but it's pretty nice for those without since it only costs 24 MP, has a 30-second recast time, and casting again resets the decay.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-09 23:26:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Plaga does about 20 each hit :/
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-09 23:55:06
Link | Quote | Reply

At least we have been getting stuff, not complaining there; however, If SE wants drks to cast more, removing the 50% penalty on recast and casting time of Dark magic spells while casting with hasso or seigan on (can leave the penalty for Ninjutsu etc for obvious reasons), would be a good start.

Further, at this point in the game, I think DRK should get Last resort duration of 3 minutes.

Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-10 00:01:47
Link | Quote | Reply

So I just marched out to Castle Zvahl S as DRK/DNC with a pair of bronze swords and started beating up a fortalice. Endark still did 50 damage to start out (nearly twice what regular hits were doing at 249 skill), got one freak half-resist, and the spell auto-canceled when the extra damage hit 1. Still took nearly two and a half minutes to get that far with 18% Haste and Dual Wield II, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it'll take some doin' to make the spell deal negligible damage on a 2hand weapon.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-10 00:08:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Aulse said:
So I just marched out to Castle Zvahl S as DRK/DNC with a pair of bronze swords and started beating up a fortalice. Endark still did 50 damage to start out (nearly twice what regular hits were doing at 249 skill), got one freak half-resist, and the spell auto-canceled when the extra damage hit 1. Still took nearly two and a half minutes to get that far with 18% Haste and Dual Wield II, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it'll take some doin' to make the spell deal negligible damage on a 2hand weapon.

249 skill?

I'm pretty sure resists are based on your dark magic skill, just like resists on dreadspikes are.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-10 00:10:54
Link | Quote | Reply

249 Sword Skill level.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-10 00:24:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, never mind. He's just saying the 50 dmg from Endark was doing more than a sword swing in dmg with that 249 sword skill.

Anyway, nice extra damage when you're going to go solo or do something with a small group, and don't have a dnc in PT I guess...

Ideal casting before you engage a mob, and/or between pulls if there's a chance etc.
 Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-10 00:26:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, that was sword skill, sorry. Dark Magic is currently 312 in my TP set, 333 in casting getup. I guess we'll find out in the next update whether or not the damage will tier (unless we have some guys with really terrible Dark Magic skill here willing to admit it).

All told, I think the spell is worth using as long as you aren't getting yourself some Haste Samba action. It's fairly cheap to cast and has a low recast time so if the effect is starting to lag you can just reapply and reset the damage again.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-10 00:35:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Magic is kinda shitty to skill :/ Can't really do it in besieged well and Abyssea mobs keep resisting me for some reason (at least worms and frogs do)

Edit: I'm at cap for 80 I think (on WAR atm so can't check) with about 330ish in casting gear.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-10 01:05:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Dark Magic is kinda shitty to skill :/ Can't really do it in besieged well and Abyssea mobs keep resisting me for some reason (at least worms and frogs do)

Edit: I'm at cap for 80 I think (on WAR atm so can't check) with about 330ish in casting gear.

Yeah, Bio spam in besieged was the way to go to skill up Dark magic, but it seems you no longer get skill ups past a certain point/level there in besieged. So yeah, took longer to cap dark magic for lv80 now... =/

I did find that capping enfeebling magic for lv80 DRK with dia spam (going drk/whm) still works great in besieged though. Most certainly due to the fact that drk's enfeebling skill is not as high as our dark magic skill at lv80.

Still, my drk's enfeebling gear set, at lv80 has: 281 enfeebling magic skill, magic accuracy +9, and INT +25. My enfeebling gear set still needs more work, but that's not too bad for a DRK.

Bind, Sleep and SleepII have been quite useful in various occasions. I actually kinda wish DRK also had sleepga. It would be nice.
 Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-10 03:16:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Bind, Sleep and SleepII have been quite useful in various occasions. I actually kinda wish DRK also had sleepga. It would be nice.
I've found myself pleasantly surprised at how often I use Sleep/Bind when doing my Magian trials. It almost makes it all worth it.

Likewise, I've been considering the viability of DRK/RDM, if only for a generous dose of screwing around (Besieged, Campaign). Refresh and Haste in the 99 update could be amusing as hell, going along with Magic Attack Bonus II, Fast Cast II and the actually useful elemental nukes.
Server: Titan
user: batboy267
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-12 13:42:00
Link | Quote | Reply

I've wanted to ask the drks this. Now that Occult Acumen turns 10% of your mp (that you used) to tp is it worth casting nukes during regular combat now? or will you still do more damage overall by just swinging?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-12 13:47:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's worthless unless they make it better for Drain imo.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2010-09-12 13:52:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bio Spam? That's what I always do lol.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-12 13:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply

so even if you were to cast aero III on a monster while you were attacking it (thus gaining 10 tp and doing damage from casting the spell) you would still do more damage if you would have done nothing but attack instead?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-12 15:08:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Titan.Darkwizardzin said:
so even if you were to cast aero III on a monster while you were attacking it (thus gaining 10 tp and doing damage from casting the spell) you would still do more damage if you would have done nothing but attack instead?

Yes.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-12 15:46:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes.
how big is the difference?
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
Server: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-12 15:48:30
Link | Quote | Reply

/wrists
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-09-12 15:53:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes.
how big is the difference?

Depends on amount of haste but DRK nukes do ***damage because of the gear available and since we don't have too much fast cast gear nor /rdm it takes forever to cast.
By Titan.Darkwizardzin 2010-09-12 16:00:23
Link | Quote | Reply

ok one more question then im finshed. I see af3 feet has a trait that boosts this skill. how much more tp would it have to give per spell before it becomes viable?
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-09-12 16:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

In high haste, about 50~
 Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-12 23:36:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I doubt it's ever going to be preferable to nuke over melee unless you have more than a fair degree of Fast Cast, even with Bale+2.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-09-13 00:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Only situation I see is:

When mobs, such as those in dynamis, do perfect dodge or Invincible.

If your melee hits are completely useless there, might as well do some damage through magic, and get a little TP from it too.

Specially a Drain, followed by a Neither Void + Drain II, since these are more MP efficient... and do damage while curing you etc.

In this instance, casting your spells will definitely deal more damage than swinging your weapon for 0 dmg and 0 TP!
 Quetzalcoatl.Aulse
By Quetzalcoatl.Aulse 2010-09-13 15:52:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, yes, but that's kind of special case. Gaining TP when you can't or shouldn't (hi, statues) melee is always going to be a good thing. If you're already in the thick of things, though, about the best you're going to get out of Occult Acumen is Drain II and maybe Bio II.