Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK Zerg set up
DRK Zerg set up
 Odin.Trelan
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-08-30 10:52:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I finally got a O club last night(in time for the level cap increase lol) and would like to build an appropriate zerg setup. I currently have nothing as far as HP+ gear and SE gear but a decent amount of haste gears. Looking for easy builds I can put together and then the optimal build for the future(guess I will be 80<88<96). I know there are tons of guides but I thought they could have the potential to be outdated abit. Any constructive advice is welcome! Also pointers on the correct sub job, etc is welcome!
 Ramuh.Urial
Server: Ramuh
user: Urial
By Ramuh.Urial 2010-08-30 10:56:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
I finally got a O club last night(in time for the level cap increase lol) and would like to build an appropriate zerg setup. I currently have nothing as far as HP+ gear and SE gear but a decent amount of haste gears. Looking for easy builds I can put together and then the optimal build for the future(guess I will be 80<88<96). I know there are tons of guides but I thought they could have the potential to be outdated abit. Any constructive advice is welcome! Also pointers on the correct sub job, etc is welcome!
Can still zerg with a merc kris on drk even the fort weapons from sea work well. hp gear is the easy party. homam for max hp as well as haste and the lvl 50 body are crucial though.
 Cerberus.Dizzmal
Server: Cerberus
user: Dizzmal
By Cerberus.Dizzmal 2010-08-30 11:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Here is mine. May not be the best setup but it's pretty decent.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-30 11:08:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Mine is pretty basic but its a decent start..I still have lots of room to make improvements but this is what I use.

Lakshmi.Prinnysmash
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Prinnysmash 2010-08-30 11:08:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Here's what I believe to be an ideal set.
Capped haste, a lot of HP, enhances souleater.
Sub DRG is definitely the best option seeing as it gives 6% haste in gear.
Sub MNK would be second best for the HP Boost if you can't find/afford the wyvern gear

By Sheelay 2010-08-30 11:16:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I made a dream set non too long ago to try and sum up how far the gear ( up to lvl 80 ) could push both HP and Haste for a DRK/MNK. This is what I came up with:

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/175503

It's just a dream set however, as there are may items on it that are pretty hard to get.
However there are some compromises that should still grant you great benefits.

Like Urial said, you should't limit your level to assure OClub works at best and Homam is an incredibly useful set for drk zerg thanks to the HP and Haste Bonuses.
If you lack Homam, get Dusk hands and feet. Walahra turban is what you'd usually go for on the head slot.
A nice and fun item to have is the Wyvern earring which alone grants you 5 Haste when subbing /DRG. If you prefer more freedom as to what Subjob to use ten simply go for HP or MP>HP earrings.
Cassie earring is still the best. If you're on a budget you can use 1 or 2 physical earrings.
On the ring department the traditional combo would be Bomb Queen Ring and Blood ring. Both drop off NMs.
Typically the backpiece would be gigant mantle. By the next update price might drop a little more.
As neckpiece, anything adding HP will do, if you do Einherjar there's a neck yo can buy with ichor easily.
As for the waist, anything adding Haste will do. The more the better of course.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-30 11:21:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Sheelay said:
I made a dream set non too long ago to try and sum up how far the gear ( up to lvl 80 ) could push both HP and Haste for a DRK/MNK. This is what I came up with: http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/175503 It's just a dream set however, as there are may items on it that are pretty hard to get. However there are some compromises that should still grant you great benefits. Like Urial said, you should't limit your level to assure OClub works at best and Homam is an incredibly useful set for drk zerg thanks to the HP and Haste Bonuses. If you lack Homam, get Dusk hands and feet. Walahra turban is what you'd usually go for on the head slot. A nice and fun item to have is the Wyvern earring which alone grants you 5 Haste when subbing /DRG. If you prefer more freedom as to what Subjob to use ten simply go for HP or MP>HP earrings. Cassie earring is still the best. If you're on a budget you can use 1 or 2 physical earrings. On the ring department the traditional combo would be Bomb Queen Ring and Blood ring. Both drop off NMs. Typically the backpiece would be gigant mantle. By the next update price might drop a little more. As neckpiece, anything adding HP will do, if you do Einherjar there's a neck yo can buy with ichor easily. As for the waist, anything adding Haste will do. The more the better of course.

Linked it for you.
[+]
 Odin.Sheelay
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2010-08-30 11:25:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks !
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-30 12:14:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

Linked it for you.

DRK cant use bullwhip belt!
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-30 12:16:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:

Linked it for you.

DRK cant use bullwhip belt!

Allso: Ewwww -75hp
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-30 12:35:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Vbelt/Speed or Goading would still work.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-30 12:36:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Sonic Belt augmented with HP+ gooooo
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-30 12:41:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:

Why not /drg with wyvern earring for 26% haste? :p
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-30 12:49:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Why not /drg with wyvern earring for 26% haste? :p
Touche I keep forgetting about Wyvern earring since I don't have one. But yes that would work just fine.
 Odin.Trelan
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-08-30 13:30:47
Link | Quote | Reply

TYVM everyone I know what to work towards. I play mage jobs mostly(yes i know lolelvaan mage), but it will be nice to zerg for 30 seconds. I hope it is worth it, 1/24 was not fun!
Server: Asura
user: Aaver
By Asura.Aaveraiskaaja 2010-08-31 13:35:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I also prefer /drg subjob for zerging for the additional 5% haste. I'd much prefer wyvern targe as well, but I'd really need spam the BCNM for it. Bomb core is very useless in my set ( I should at least get Fenrir's stone to that slot).

This is my merc.kris set which has done the job well thus far:

Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-31 13:37:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Trelan said:
TYVM everyone I know what to work towards. I play mage jobs mostly(yes i know lolelvaan mage), but it will be nice to zerg for 30 seconds. I hope it is worth it, 1/24 was not fun!
Ouch..lol we went 4/5 on it and i've never ever gone back.
 Valefor.Shystie
Server: Valefor
user: Shystie
By Valefor.Shystie 2010-08-31 16:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Oooh, good timing, I just got DRK to 80 not too long ago and was needing something like this.

Kinda off subject but still DRK related. I have asked a few DRK's I know who are good at the job and get different answers. Concerning merits, mainly Desperate blows, one says it lowers the delay and the other says it counts like Haste and with 5/5 its wasted, that I can hit haste cap with 3/5. Any advice on this?
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-31 16:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Shystie said:
Oooh, good timing, I just got DRK to 80 not too long ago and was needing something like this.

Kinda off subject but still DRK related. I have asked a few DRK's I know who are good at the job and get different answers. Concerning merits, mainly Desperate blows, one says it lowers the delay and the other says it counts like Haste and with 5/5 its wasted, that I can hit haste cap with 3/5. Any advice on this?

Desperate blows does not reduce your base TP per hit. Desperate blows is weapon delay reduction that counts as "job ability haste"(when using a 2-handed weapon, and it is active when last resort is active). Total haste cap is 80%, but job ability haste cap is 25%.

3/5 desperate blows will only be enough to cap job ability haste, if you are /sam and only while hasso is active. This is because Hasso is +10% job ability haste, and the cap is +25%, so 3/5 desperate blows will cap your job ability haste while hasso and last resort are both active.

That being said, 5/5 desperate blows is nice for when you're tanking as drk/nin, or are /sam but using seigan + third eye. (allowing you to keep capped job ability haste when you don't have hasso activated)
[+]
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-31 16:58:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Valefor.Shystie said:

Desperate blows does not reduce your base TP per hit. Desperate blows is weapon delay reduction that counts as "job ability haste"(when using a 2-handed weapon, and it is active when last resort is active). Total haste cap is 80%, but job ability haste cap is 25%.

3/5 desperate blows will only be enough to cap job ability haste, if you are /sam and only while hasso is active. This is because Hasso is +10% job ability haste, and the cap is +25%, so 3/5 desperate blows will cap your job ability haste while hasso and last resort are both active.

That being said, 5/5 desperate blows is nice for when you're tanking as drk/nin, or are /sam but using seigan + third eye. (allowing you to keep capped job ability haste when you don't have hasso activated)

I was writing a responce then saw this, and it's pretty much what I was gonna say D:

Offtopic:
I hope we get "Last Resort Duration" in group3 merits ;;
[+]
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-31 17:02:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Shystie said:
Oooh, good timing, I just got DRK to 80 not too long ago and was needing something like this. Kinda off subject but still DRK related. I have asked a few DRK's I know who are good at the job and get different answers. Concerning merits, mainly Desperate blows, one says it lowers the delay and the other says it counts like Haste and with 5/5 its wasted, that I can hit haste cap with 3/5. Any advice on this?
Your friend is right..but before you had to have 3/5 homam to do it, now with Perle its much easier. If you do anymore than 4/5 on desperate blows you will reach haste cap..alot of ppl don't care and do 5/5 anyway for those times you might be /nin(RUN AWAY!!) or even a different SJ so ppl like to have it 5/5 for funzies. It all comes down to personal opinion.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-31 17:04:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Offtopic:

Or maybe a last resort duration increase here:

SE said:
In addition to the above, performance-enhancing tweaks are also in the pipes for numerous existing job abilities. The exciting details will be announced in the very near future, so keep watching this space!

We can only hope...
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-31 17:05:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:

Offtopic:

SE said:
In addition to the above, performance-enhancing tweaks are also in the pipes for numerous existing job abilities. The exciting details will be announced in the very near future, so keep watching this space!

We can only hope...

Let's hope for 3min like Berserk :P

We can only hope.... >_>
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-31 17:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Offtopic: I hope we get "Last Resort Duration" in group3 merits ;;
SE said:
We can only hope...
seriously how freakin sexy would that be.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-31 17:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Valefor.Shystie said:
Oooh, good timing, I just got DRK to 80 not too long ago and was needing something like this. Kinda off subject but still DRK related. I have asked a few DRK's I know who are good at the job and get different answers. Concerning merits, mainly Desperate blows, one says it lowers the delay and the other says it counts like Haste and with 5/5 its wasted, that I can hit haste cap with 3/5. Any advice on this?
Your friend is right..but before you had to have 3/5 homam to do it, now with Perle its much easier. If you do anymore than 4/5 on desperate blows you will reach haste cap..alot of ppl don't care and do 5/5 anyway for those times you might be /nin(RUN AWAY!!) or even a different SJ so ppl like to have it 5/5 for funzies. It all comes down to personal opinion.

Gear haste is not job ability haste though.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-31 17:11:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
SE said:
We can only hope...

Would be a huge *** boost for us "lol"drks <3333333
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-31 17:13:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
SE said:
We can only hope...

Would be a huge *** boost for us "lol"drks <3333333

Yes. It would be nice.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-31 17:15:30
Link | Quote | Reply

My sam would never see the light of day..and I would be fine with that! ^^
 Valefor.Shystie
Server: Valefor
user: Shystie
By Valefor.Shystie 2010-08-31 17:23:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
Valefor.Shystie said:

Ok great. This pretty much is the same thing that one of my DRK friends said. I dont think the other one knows it counts as JA Haste. Was confused because both of them are really good at playing DRK. Anyways, Thanks again!