DRK Merits (Job Specific)

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK Merits (Job specific)
DRK Merits (Job specific)
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-26 16:21:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
DRK tanking is where it's at anyway! I like my souleater with fries enmity... damn it!
I was going to say this earlier but decided against it..valid point tho.
 Bahamut.Zorander
Server: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-08-26 16:24:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Seeing how it looks like Zandra Tp's in Askar Body on drk wouldn't you think it would be better to have that free +20 to acc over -emn?
Edit: I wonder which zerg weapon Zandra is using? I can't imagine muted souls being all that helpful with Mkris or Kclub/Oclub.
5hit.
But yeah, I dont think Zandra got gil-issues, so I assume mkris or kclub.
Yeah the askar setup is for a 5-hit which is way better than a 6-hit perle. It actually says its a 5-hit under the notes but i guess trolls don't read for context. I do wear perle when I /nin and stack acc as u don't get a 5-hit without /sam.
/facepalm for me..I didn't read the Notes..that is my bad and I can honestly say that I didn't even think about it being a 5 hit.

And I think that is the first time that I have been called a troll..don't know if I should be happy of sad :(
 Cerberus.Kvazz
Server: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-26 16:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Offtopic question seeing as theres lots of good DRKs in here.
Does "Convert mp to hp" gear work for Dread spikes?
 Quetzalcoatl.Trauma
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Trauma
By Quetzalcoatl.Trauma 2010-08-26 16:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
the earing/body are just there cause I don't usually switch them out from my elemental set. But seeing I don't have specific gear to replace them with, why bother...

I don't want to get too far off topic, because this thread is about DRK merits, but the price of Star Sapphire has drastically come down since the release of Abyssea. Corselets can now be made for just a little over 250k (Scint. Ingot being the most expensive material) on Quetz and is a fantastic Dark Magic/Elemental Magic body piece. I just picked one up recently and am pretty happy with it.
 Cerberus.Zandra
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-26 16:45:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Zorander said:
Seeing how it looks like Zandra Tp's in Askar Body on drk wouldn't you think it would be better to have that free +20 to acc over -emn?
Edit: I wonder which zerg weapon Zandra is using? I can't imagine muted souls being all that helpful with Mkris or Kclub/Oclub.
5hit.
But yeah, I dont think Zandra got gil-issues, so I assume mkris or kclub.
Yeah the askar setup is for a 5-hit which is way better than a 6-hit perle. It actually says its a 5-hit under the notes but i guess trolls don't read for context. I do wear perle when I /nin and stack acc as u don't get a 5-hit without /sam.
/facepalm for me..I didn't read the Notes..that is my bad and I can honestly say that I didn't even think about it being a 5 hit.

And I think that is the first time that I have been called a troll..don't know if I should be happy of sad :(

I sowwy... looking back, i didn't mean it...

=D
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-26 16:46:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Offtopic question seeing as theres lots of good DRKs in here.
Does "Convert mp to hp" gear work for Dread spikes?

I have 2 dreadspikes gear sets. (they change when casting with spellcast, and I can decide which one to use by using variables that will change the midcast gear etc with just a macro in game.)

1 set has pure dark magic skill for higher level stuff, or mobs that just resists the spikes more. (Admittedly, I don't really use this one much)

And the default dreadspikes set that I use has a combination of HP+ gear, some dark skill, some haste, and some fastcast. (nuevo coselete, loquacious etc.)

Anyway, but to answer your question directly... I've really only used straight HP+ gear for it;however, I don't see why convert MP to HP gear wouldn't work. After all, dreadspikes lasts for 1 minute or until you have drained an amount of HP equal to half of your "maximum" HP that you had at the time of casting the spell. Using convert MP to HP gear increases your maximum HP right? Therefore, it should work too.
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-26 16:50:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:
the earing/body are just there cause I don't usually switch them out from my elemental set. But seeing I don't have specific gear to replace them with, why bother...

I don't want to get too far off topic, because this thread is about DRK merits, but the price of Star Sapphire has drastically come down since the release of Abyssea. Corselets can now be made for just a little over 250k (Scint. Ingot being the most expensive material) on Quetz and is a fantastic Dark Magic/Elemental Magic body piece. I just picked one up recently and am pretty happy with it.

Wow, we agree on something yay! Damnit I need more space to carry all this stuff!!!!
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-26 17:04:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Trauma said:
Cerberus.Zandra said:

This is true, the price has gone done quite a bit. I guess I could get me a corselet too. Although, I will still likely use my Nuevo coselete for most spells/situations(has Fastcast+5% and magic accuracy+4), specially for spells like Dreadspikes and absorb-TP... the fastcast is nice for casting and for recast timers, and it's just 3 less macc than corselete.

The corselete would be nice for my enfeebling magic though, better than my AF body for enfeebling spells.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
Server: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2010-08-26 17:08:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Muted soul is *** useless. Also MAB does nothing for dark magic so no point in macroing those in. (zandra)
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-08-26 18:32:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Star Sapphires are down to 20k now on Fenrir.... think I paid 2mil for one when I had my corselet made <.<'..
 Asura.Andradi
Server: Asura
user: Andradi
By Asura.Andradi 2010-08-27 12:11:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolic Eye was handy back in the days of colibri merit burns when it enabled my mediocre gear to support overall 90% + accuracy while eating meat.

These days with capped acc on everything (or so I hear?) it's still useful - you can use a higher damage set for weaponskills.

Personally my choice is 5/5 LR effect (still working on these)/recast and 5/5 DE and 5/5 DB.
 Cerberus.Zandra
By Cerberus.Zandra 2010-08-27 12:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, i'll frame it this way...

Can we all admit that if anyone goes the route of Diabolic Eye, then they should definitely go nothing short of 5/5?

Then can't we say that 5/5 in Desperate Blows is by far the TOP priority as its the MOST beneficial and will increase your DOT the most when you're /nin /war (if you play that way) and /dnc?

That being said isn't there also a case to be made for at least 1/5 on Dark Seal? Nether Void and capped dark magic skill don't always get the job done especially on HMN and Zergs.

So if you've only got 4 merits left are you really going to throw them into Diabolic Eye when you can cap accuracy with food and gear anyways?

Phoenix.Excelior
Server: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-27 12:50:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ok, i'll frame it this way... Can we all admit that if anyone goes the route of Diabolic Eye, then they should definitely go nothing short of 5/5? Then can't we say that 5/5 in Desperate Blows is by far the TOP priority as its the MOST beneficial and will increase your DOT the most when you're /nin /war (if you play that way) and /dnc? That being said isn't there also a case to be made for at least 1/5 on Dark Seal? Nether Void and capped dark magic skill don't always get the job done especially on HMN and Zergs. So if you've only got 4 merits left are you really going to throw them into Diabolic Eye when you can cap accuracy with food and gear anyways?

I think you're missing that the point of the last two pages was that muted souls is gimp. Nobody is arguing against the other options.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-27 13:06:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Zandra said:
Ok, i'll frame it this way...

Can we all admit that if anyone goes the route of Diabolic Eye, then they should definitely go nothing short of 5/5?

Then can't we say that 5/5 in Desperate Blows is by far the TOP priority as its the MOST beneficial and will increase your DOT the most when you're /nin /war (if you play that way) and /dnc?

That being said isn't there also a case to be made for at least 1/5 on Dark Seal? Nether Void and capped dark magic skill don't always get the job done especially on HMN and Zergs.

So if you've only got 4 merits left are you really going to throw them into Diabolic Eye when you can cap accuracy with food and gear anyways?

I'll make it simple:

Yes, even
desperate blows 5/5
dark seal 1/5
and diabolic eye 4/5

would be be better than muted soul 4/5.

I personally, still like this better though: (but that's my opinion)

desperate blows 5/5
and diabolic eye 5/5

And I stated my reasons why on my first post... back on page one of this thread. (with a 15min recast on dark seal, it never got used that much, plus with max dark magic merits and a really good dark magic set, dark seal wasn't that necessary for most things. I found 5/5 on desperate blows and diabolic eye just more beneficial overall anyway.)

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-08-27 13:08:19
Link | Quote | Reply

And like Excelior said... I think you're missing the point. Muted soul just isn't as good as the other options.