Some DRG gear help.. WS
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
 Ifrit.Jurai
Server: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:03:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now I'm using this, carrying over from what I had at 75, just added the Perle body instead of Askar.

Wondering what pieces should really be changed.

I've heard I should get lots of DEX but don't have say the sea torque or Cuch mantle so idk if I should be going for DEX if I can't get a high amount.

I'm thinking to use Perle hat/hands and get a STR ring. Then I wouldn't lose any STR from taking off Heca but gain a good bit of attack. I'm thinking I don't have high enough DEX to make a good set for it.

Caitsith.Linear
Server: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:13:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Askar Dirs -> Perle Brayettes
Iota Ring -> Ruby/Flame/Strigoi Ring
Amemet Mantle +1 -> Forager's Mantle

Champion's Galea with STR+4 WSACC+15 WSDMG+2% if it's not used on another job.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
Server: Bismarck
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-08-11 00:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

My advice, quit the game. Your gear is terrible.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:17:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Maxse said:
My advice, quit the game. Your gear is terrible.

Someones cranky.

EDIT: You're gear's pretty good Jurai. Mostly upgrades you can do now will take considerable amounts of effort or gil to obtain.

Hecatomb Cap, Ares Flanchard, Zahak's Mail, Oathkeeper/Stingray, Love Torque, etc.

On another note, I'm really not sure whether workign on a DEX build for Drakesbane is worth it. The lack of Byakko's Haidate is a *** to overcome.
Server: Fenrir
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-08-11 00:18:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Now I'm 100% sure Maxse is just trollin'.
 Cerberus.Mander
Server: Cerberus
user: Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:18:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Att+5 Acc+10 would be better on head especailly for 4 hit. WS DMG+2% is kinda garbage. Iota ring is fine for TPing but WS in STR ring.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:22:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mander said:
Att+5 Acc+10 would be better on head especailly for 4 hit. WS DMG+2% is kinda garbage. Iota ring is fine for TPing but WS in STR ring.

You forget this is DRG. Accuracy Bonus III says, "Hello".
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:22:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I have the xpac head/body/legs so can't use them for this.
 Siren.Thoraeon
Server: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2010-08-11 00:24:11
Link | Quote | Reply

On a side note: Looking at your page, I can't help but notice that your TP gear is sitting at 10 Store TP. If you had 1 more, you could reach a true 6 hit build when /SAM. The easiest options would be either Ecphoria Ring or Chivalrous Chain. Personally, I would lean towards Chivalrous Chain since you have a Blitz Ring.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah, well that choice is closed then.

There's also that Hachimaki from Abyssea. ACC+12 and Polearm Skill +5(?). Not sure what drops it.

EDIT: Don't worry about that 1 STP. You're using Drakesbane anyway. It's statistically in your favor to land at least 1 of Drakesbanes additional hits.
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:25:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Cerberus.Mander said:

You forget this is DRG. Accuracy Bonus III says, "Hello".
This is why I kept Askar pants. Already, getting more ACC from that- figured a lil more ATT might be better. But that's why I'm asking- cause idk what is best. Those new Tumbler Trunks? I'm kinda opposed to spending that kinda money on them or etc because with the next updates they will most likely be replaced so it seems a waste for the meantime.
 Cerberus.Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:26:55
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm aware of what DRG gets >.> I got it 80 and that Acc bonus allows me to WS in pillage helm without sacrificing much Acc. The +10 Acc +5 Att augment isn't for the Acc, it's for the Att. 5 Att on 4 hits is going to do more then +2%.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:27:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh, forgot about those. There're very nice pants. Slightly worse than Hecatomb Subligar. Get them if you can.

And Thew Bomblet.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-08-11 00:29:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not sure if you were looking for weapon advice but I think there are several polearms that do better than Thalassocrat. I got Drg to 75 (I'm by no means and expert :x) and used a decently augmented Fay lance. I don't know too much about the magian polearms but it seems like they're some of the best weapons for most jobs.
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:29:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mander said:
I'm aware of what DRG gets >.> I got it 80 and that Acc bonus allows me to WS in pillage helm without sacrificing much Acc. The +10 Acc +5 Att augment isn't for the Acc, it's for the Att. 5 Att on 4 hits is going to do more then +2%.

I really doubt it's going to shift cRatio enough to make much if any difference in your pDif. Straight up +2% DMG to a WS is going to trash it.

In fact, I need to redo my Galea.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:29:28
Link | Quote | Reply

If you don't wanna spend much money on WS pants just use Dusk. People laugh but +14 Att is the sex if you can manage without the lil bit of of acc from your old pants. Which you should be able to np at 80 and or with Polearm merits
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:30:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said:
On a side note: Looking at your page, I can't help but notice that your TP gear is sitting at 10 Store TP. If you had 1 more, you could reach a true 6 hit build when /SAM. The easiest options would be either Ecphoria Ring or Chivalrous Chain. Personally, I would lean towards Chivalrous Chain since you have a Blitz Ring.
From my other 12 page disaster of a post I was 'told' this was best even without that so that's what I've been using atm.
 Cerberus.Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:31:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Linear said:
Cerberus.Mander said:

I really doubt it's going to shift cRatio enough to make much if any difference in your pDif. Straight up +2% DMG to a WS is going to trash it.

In fact, I need to redo my Galea.

Flava Flave it up or gtfo! (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ == ┻━━━━━━┻
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:33:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
I'm not sure if you were looking for weapon advice but I think there are several polearms that do better than Thalassocrat. I got Drg to 75 (I'm by no means and expert :x) and used a decently augmented Fay lance. I don't know too much about the magian polearms but it seems like they're some of the best weapons for most jobs.
I know I need a new weapon just atm don't have the time to do trials :( Fay I'm about I'd say 0/100 on anything better than my blue pokestick :\
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-08-11 00:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Thoraeon said:

This is a silly thing to suggest for a job that uses a multihit weaponskill almost exclusively. If not landing at least 2 hits of Drakesbake there's much worse problems to deal with than adding 1 storeTP.

OP: Basically on the right track. Wouldn't WS in Iota. Make the upgrades mentioned above by others when you can.

Start a Str/Att magian weapon if better ones are impractical, and do it ASAP.

edit: Oh, and Perle Legs are going to be better than Askar Legs, until something better comes along.
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:34:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Mander said:
If you don't wanna spend much money on WS pants just use Dusk. People laugh but +14 Att is the sex if you can manage without the lil bit of of acc from your old pants. Which you should be able to np at 80 and or with Polearm merits
Used to use them before I got Askar because I used for THF as well. Stopped playing THF and so sold them and just use Askar now.
 Cerberus.Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:39:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Well since you're 8/8 Polearm I'd suggest gettin a Varangian helm. With Perle pants' Acc you can WS in it in most situations. :3 The NM is an easy duo with RDM and PLD/NIN
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:41:49
Link | Quote | Reply

So, basically from these reply it seems I should not be worrying about the DEX and go for STR/Att/Acc stats for the most part?

Edit: I know I need like the Bomblet etc- working on that.
 Cerberus.Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

The DEX doesn't hurt Drakesbane but don't go out of your way to use it. The 5 DEX on Perle pants for example is a nice lil bonus for crit rate but just a bonus to help make up for your Acc coupled with Pillage helm (Varangian) which has -20 Acc
 Caitsith.Linear
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:44:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah. The issue with a DEX build for Drakesbane is mobs have varying AGI, so you'd have to have to fidn a middle point between DEX and STR for each type to get the most of your Drakesbanes.

It's also hard to build one for stronger mobs that the crits would be more beneficial for without options like Byakko's Haidate.
 Caitsith.Zefiris
user: Zefiris
By Caitsith.Zefiris 2010-08-11 00:45:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Varangian is an awesome helm and so easy! It's nice to keep different pieces so you can raise or lower your Acc in different situations.

And I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with the fairies. ; ; Mine was +5 dmg, +2 str, not the greatest but I got it on the first weapon so a fay lance for 10k>200k Thal. ^^ Besides, when you have Rdm, Blm, and Cor leveled, it's not like you play Drg that often. >.>;
 Phoenix.Mogue
Server: Phoenix
user: Mogue
By Phoenix.Mogue 2010-08-11 00:45:51
Link | Quote | Reply

People used to gear DEX for fighting Greater Colibri (specifically, shooting for 118 DEX) because of the crit hits from such a build. Now that Colibri parties are extinct it is much harder to make a case for doing this since no one really knows (or cares?) what AGI values are on typical Abyssea xp mobs.

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage in your development. Make sure you have enough Acc to cap on what you're fighting (which should be more of a food choice than anything else) after which, gear for STR.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
Server: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-08-11 00:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Ifrit.Jurai said:
Siren.Thoraeon said:
From my other 12 page disaster of a post I was 'told' this was best even without that so that's what I've been using atm.
I'd have happily done the math in detail for you if I thought it would really mean anything, but all I got from that thread was that you wanted a wall of numbers showing a result one way or the other. If that's the case, I could have vomited up a set of random numbers that eventually made it look like Perle was better to a poster unfamiliar with the equations involved and the end result would have been the same. Even if I'd done it properly (which I would have), you'd still have to assume that I (and the other posters in that thread) know what I'm talking about... which is an assumption you can make whether I do the math before your eyes or not. So the extra effort was honestly pointless when I already knew the conclusion with a sufficient degree of accuracy.

As mentioned, Tumbler Trunks. Keep the Heca on, and consider swapping to Perle Salade given that you're probably not pushing high dDEX on anything that matters. You're probably ok to wear a STR ring in your current set and if you really don't care about dDEX then combining sentry belt and varangian helm might be a decent approach.
[+]
 Cerberus.Mander
By Cerberus.Mander 2010-08-11 00:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea unfortunately now it's Magian Polearm or gtfo pretty much. They're really not that hard just a bit time consuming. But you can chip away at it a bit at a time if need be.
 Ifrit.Jurai
By Ifrit.Jurai 2010-08-11 00:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Zefiris said:
Varangian is an awesome helm and so easy! It's nice to keep different pieces so you can raise or lower your Acc in different situations.

And I'm sorry to hear about your bad luck with the fairies. ; ; Mine was +5 dmg, +2 str, not the greatest but I got it on the first weapon so a fay lance for 10k>200k Thal. ^^ Besides, when you have Rdm, Blm, and Cor leveled, it's not like you play Drg that often. >.>;
WHM not RDM! Eeek RDM! (Never! lol), but I don't play BLM anymore. COR is used alot yea.. just DRG is my only melee now since I stopped THF as well so I want to make sure I'm doing right.

Phoenix.Mogue said:
People used to gear DEX for fighting Greater Colibri (specifically, shooting for 118 DEX) because of the crit hits from such a build. Now that Colibri parties are extinct it is much harder to make a case for doing this since no one really knows (or cares?) what AGI values are on typical Abyssea xp mobs.

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage in your development. Make sure you have enough Acc to cap on what you're fighting (which should be more of a food choice than anything else) after which, gear for STR.
That's what I thought. The DEX was for the birds so I figured I should start going for something else.

First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9