Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Magian weapon Drks in Abyssea question
Magian weapon Drks in Abyssea question
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-07-26 13:06:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Iono if its just me or the people i'm I find myself grouped up with on my DRK in abyssea.
For some reason I'm doing like 800~1.1k+ spinning slashes
but then when I look at everyone else, I see like everything else below 600.
Like Ebody drks doing 400~700 guillotines, and Ebody drk's using a GS doing under 600. But when I see people using magian weapons they are doing better than everyone else by a lot
So my question is since i am using a Albion(95dmg) Do magian weapons get a bonus in dmg or something in Abyssea or is it just the fact that the massive amount of more dmg on the weapon is offsetting the huge difference in dmg per hit/ws compared to everyone else?

Bahamut.Satanas
Server: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 13:37:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Not everyone with an Ebody knows to how build a proper set up, so it's hard to say people with better gear were doing less dmg than you just by eye balling. I do not think they get any additional dmg, I have Keitonotachi on SAM and I don't see a big difference between it and Hagun, I never read anywhere saying that Magian weapons would get any additional dmg than what they come with, they are just awesome :). It can also be that those people were still skilling up their weapons :3. And from my own experience GS Spinning Slash is good to use in Abyssea rather than Guillotine, since sometimes you may not get buffs to make it great.
 Bahamut.Zorander
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-07-26 13:44:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Satanas said:
Not everyone with an Ebody knows to how build a proper set up, so it's hard to say people with better gear were doing less dmg than you just by eye balling. I do not think they get any additional dmg, I have Keitonotachi on SAM and I don't see a big difference between it and Hagun, I never read anywhere saying that Magian weapons would get any additional dmg than what they come with, they are just awesome :). It can also be that those people were still skilling up their weapons :3. And from my own experience GS Spinning Slash is good to use in Abyssea rather than Guillotine, since sometimes you may not get buffs to make it great.
Was that a jab at me Mr. Satanas??
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 13:49:13
Link | Quote | Reply

You know it zoolander! jk :)... just in general lol, "some" Ebody WAR/DRK's don't know ***, I've outparsed some of em in meripo's before.. also I check some of them when I'm standing in WG all day lulz... and I'm just thinking in my wtf are they thinking wearing that -_-;
 Lakshmi.Gargemel
Server: Lakshmi
user: Gargemel
By Lakshmi.Gargemel 2010-07-26 13:51:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Most DRKs with ebodys i see pretty much suck. I know at least 2 that use Homam head with it. Ebody doesnt automatically mean big dmg.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-07-26 13:53:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol I use to do that all the time..my drk fails tho so I wouldn't have a hard time believeing that you would outparse me heh.

and leave us goofy geared ppl alone..town gear is fun.
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 14:03:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Lol I use to do that all the time..my drk fails tho so I wouldn't have a hard time believeing that you would outparse me heh.

and leave us goofy geared ppl alone..town gear is fun.

lol, well nobody parties at 75 anymore so hard to say who can out-parse who. Just by looking at the item sets, yours will leave me in the dust ;_;.... true town gear is one thing, hard to judge people on how they perform just by looking at that. I've had comments from people saying I was a noob while having equipped Myochin kote +1, Chaos gauntlets +1, and hecatomb mittens and not dusk gloves lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-26 14:03:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Volkom said:
Iono if its just me or the people i'm I find myself grouped up with on my DRK in abyssea.
For some reason I'm doing like 800~1.1k+ spinning slashes
but then when I look at everyone else, I see like everything else below 600.
Like Ebody drks doing 400~700 guillotines, and Ebody drk's using a GS doing under 600. But when I see people using magian weapons they are doing better than everyone else by a lot
So my question is since i am using a Albion(95dmg) Do magian weapons get a bonus in dmg or something in Abyssea or is it just the fact that the massive amount of more dmg on the weapon is offsetting the huge difference in dmg per hit/ws compared to everyone else?

I don't think your Albion gets a "bonus in dmg or something in Abyssea."

Did you have BRDX2 giving you Marches and Minuets? MarchX2 benefits both Scythe and GS, but the attack+ from Minuets helps more Guillotine than Spinning Slash.

Or did you have BRD + COR giving you Marches and Chaos roll? Again, the attack from Chaos roll would help more guillotine than Spinning slash.

If your answer was no to both of those question, then that will likely be at least part of the reason why your Spinning Slashes were doing better. Then coupled with the fact that Spinning Slash does better the harder the mob is, specially if you don't have outside attack buffs. (also if the mob you're fighting is very evasive, Guillotine will tend to do worse because you would miss more hits)

Also, if the other DRK's scythe skill wasn't high enough(still skilling up their weapon etc.), or their WS accuracy for guillotine wasn't high enough in respect to the mob... then Guillotine would tend to be quite inconsistent with damage too. Guillotine feeds on accuracy and attack mainly. (STR and MND does affect it too though, of course.)

As for my own experience with GS in Abyssea. I was using it the other day (want to have both Scythe and GS skilled up at 80)... had a 6hit Naglering, Solid GS WS gear etc.

I didn't parse the run, didn't have that in mind... just wanted exp/cruor and skill ups... but from eyeballing it... now that I think back, I think 800~1.1k+ Spinning Slashes sounds about right too. Think I had a couple 1.3k, but the few higher ones were very likely just lucky double attack procs. Additionally, I didn't have BRDX2, or BRD + COR... just one BRD giving me MarchX2... plus I wanted to skill up my GS. There were like two other DRKs in the run who were using Scythe and were doing like 400-700 dmg Guillotines.

But again... mob level, possible low skills (thus low acc/attack), no BRDX2 or no BRD + COR... are most likely the reason why spinning slash was doing consistently higher damage than a multi-hit WS like Guillotine.

Edit: Also, like other people mentioned here already, though it should be obvious... gear doesn't "necessarily" mean that a particular player will be great, if the player isn't good at the job or doesn't know how to make appropriate gear sets with the gear that he/she does have available etc.. so that could be another factor.
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 14:28:49
Link | Quote | Reply

How many people pronounce your name as***? :3
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-26 14:41:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Satanas said:
How many people pronounce your name as***? :3

I couldn't give you an accurate answer to your question lol

My original character's name was "Gias" though, back when I was in Midgar server...

"Gias" is actually my initials.

G - My first name initial

I - My middle name initial

A - Father's last name initial

S - Mother's last name initial

My name was taken when we merged with Quetzalcoatl... so I had to remove the "s" and put two "z"s ... <.<

Edit: Some people call me "Giazz" ...but some still call me "Gias", or "Gia" ...or just "G" ... doesn't matter either way.
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 14:51:24
Link | Quote | Reply

lol ok, Thank you! I'm just a curious George! :D
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-07-26 14:57:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Jizz would be an awesome mule name for a Mithra..would go nicely with Dingleberry the Taru.
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 15:00:18
Link | Quote | Reply

lol my favorite mules were a tarutaru named Galkaaddwater and there were 2 that had to change their names, which were leftnut rightnut lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-26 15:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Jizz would be an awesome mule name for a Mithra..would go nicely with Dingleberry the Taru.

lol... well at least I'm hume.

Bahamut.Satanas said:
lol my favorite mules were a tarutaru named Galkaaddwater and there were 2 that had to change their names, which were leftnut rightnut lol

ewww, and they would hang out together?
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 15:06:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes! Was the funniest thing ever! lol, also another tarutaru named Orcishgrappler or somethiing like that lol
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-26 15:11:14
Link | Quote | Reply

This thread got derailed quickly.

So we're turning this into a "post the funniest or most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE character names you've seen" thread ?

Edit: I've seen someone with the name SephirothChild! ... <.<
 Bahamut.Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-07-26 15:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

There already is one somewhere lol, but I knew it would get derailed anyways, In my opinion not everyone will be lucky enough to get uber gear to perform at that jobs best, everyone works with what they have, also knowledge is key in figuring/researching out what works best for your job.

Edit:
Quote:
I've seen someone with the name SephirothChild! ... <.<
lol that is a good one
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-26 15:26:57
Link | Quote | Reply

i was doing 800-1100 with the occasional 1400 DA with naglering(bats and mandies), so its not magian weapons
 Phoenix.Gerrott
Server: Phoenix
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2010-07-26 16:39:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah I finally level'd Dark Knight yesterday, and with just plain old Naglering I was destroying the WS numbers that my 107dmg Scythe were putting out.. The high attack on Spinning Slash always beats Guillotine on higher level mobs if you don't get the appropriate buffs, just how it works.

But yeah, its not a Magian thing, my Magian scythe was sucking hard versus my Naglering in that specific set up. Even with Scythe though I was still tanking all the mobs, so Ebody Drks aren't all useless.. funny thing is, full Perle is better anyways (Besides WS) so any clown with 120,000g can rock the best TP set up.
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-07-26 16:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gerrott said:
Yeah I finally level'd Dark Knight yesterday, and with just plain old Naglering I was destroying the WS numbers that my 107dmg Scythe were putting out.. The high attack on Spinning Slash always beats Guillotine on higher level mobs if you don't get the appropriate buffs, just how it works. But yeah, its not a Magian thing, my Magian scythe was sucking hard versus my Naglering in that specific set up. Even with Scythe though I was still tanking all the mobs, so Ebody Drks aren't all useless.. funny thing is, full Perle is better anyways (Besides WS) so any clown with 120,000g can rock the best TP set up.
1 night in Abyssea and you can have the "Best" tp set in the game for free or hit up your local AH and for 5 easy payments of 20k you can have the best TP gear out.

I literally finished up my Homam set a week before Perle was introduced and it makes me sad for all the effort and time I put into getting Homam...and also sad that Homam is now my town gear lol.

Wanted Homam for Drk/Drg which Perle just blows away now..tisk tisk tisk.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-26 17:21:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I would still use Homam legs for casting utsusemi if I'm /nin, and for dreadspikes and Absorb-TP. (reduce recast timers etc. Dreadspikes and Absorb-TP are probably the only spells worth casting decently more frequency, if you're using them properly.)

Also, for my fastcast "precast" set when casting some spells. (Start casting in 11% fastcast, finish casting in whatever else you want: magic skill, magic acc etc. This Kinda requires the use of spellcast though)

Homam + Turban is still better for zerging too.

Nevertheless, for normal TPing/meleeing... full Perle set will be the "best" set for most people.

At least it makes gimps a little better (gear/stat wise), which I guess should help some if you do pick up groups...
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-07-26 17:37:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
I would still use Homam legs for casting utsusemi if I'm /nin, and for dreadspikes and Absorb-TP. (reduce recast timers etc. Dreadspikes and Absorb-TP are probably the only spells worth casting decently more frequency, if you're using them properly.) Also, for my fastcast "precast" set when casting some spells. (Start casting in 11% fastcast, finish casting in whatever else you want: magic skill, magic acc etc. This Kinda requires the use of spellcast though) Homam + Turban is still better for zerging too. Nevertheless, for normal TPing/meleeing... full Perle set will be the "best" set for most people. At least it makes gimps a little better (gear/stat wise), which I guess should help some if you do pick up groups...
I don't drk much but it's really hard for me to use 5/5 Perle when I have Ebody/Homam just sitting in my MH..oh and I don't use Spellcast you bloody cheaters!! (<--360 so I can call all you ppl cheaters because I can't use it..if I played on PC I'd use it for sure!)

I haven't zerged anything yet but I really want too..I have a basic set nothing that fancy, well I have Octave and I wanna use it before next lvl increase lol.

I doubt Perle will help pick up groups...Ppl will still find a way to suck and I can only assume that Perle will be a Fulltime thing for TP and WS..yikes
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-26 17:43:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Bahamut.Zorander said:
Quetzalcoatl.Giazz said:
I would still use Homam legs for casting utsusemi if I'm /nin, and for dreadspikes and Absorb-TP. (reduce recast timers etc. Dreadspikes and Absorb-TP are probably the only spells worth casting decently more frequency, if you're using them properly.) Also, for my fastcast "precast" set when casting some spells. (Start casting in 11% fastcast, finish casting in whatever else you want: magic skill, magic acc etc. This Kinda requires the use of spellcast though) Homam + Turban is still better for zerging too. Nevertheless, for normal TPing/meleeing... full Perle set will be the "best" set for most people. At least it makes gimps a little better (gear/stat wise), which I guess should help some if you do pick up groups...

I doubt Perle will help pick up groups...Ppl will still find a way to suck and I can only assume that Perle will be a Fulltime thing for TP and WS..yikes

Well yeah, that's why I said "a little better (gear/stat wise)" ... unfortunately, bad/confused players will always be there... =/
 Bahamut.Zorander
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-07-26 17:48:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't get it..is this game really that hard to play? And alot of ppl tell me that I am doing it wrong by playing on the 360 and not on Comp.

I don't understand the ppl with shitty more expensive gear when cheaper better alternatives are out..how difficult is it to understand TP set and WS set. I would say that it's just me and that I am super intelligent...but we all know that isn't true.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-07-26 23:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Okay sorry i'm replying late lol got tied up with work.
But yeah well...My party didn't get any buffs, but the drk's in the other pt got chaos/fighters roll from the cor and we were fighting pachypodiums. but the funny thing was
iono if the person's skill was also low but weaponskilling in ebody,heca head,hands,feet, ares legs, and usual str jewlery(rajas/flame str earrings) along with nagerling was producing such low #'s
/shrug guess 8/8 GS merits does make a big difference XD
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-28 19:41:17
Link | Quote | Reply

GS merits only make a difference in terms of Accuracy, in terms of WS damage it isnt doing much, if not anything at all for you.

Spinning Slash and Ground Strike are both pre buffed with with an Accuracy and Attack Bonus which is why they dish out above average numbers on higher level mobs or when you are not buffed properly. +16 ATTK from 8/8 GS merits isnt going to make or break WS dmg in any way shape or form.
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-07-28 19:56:53
Link | Quote | Reply

it should XD I wonder what the eventual cap will be on weapons and if SE is ganna add more merit categories
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-28 20:12:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Those *** mandies are a pain, they can guard WS hits so you end up doing ***damage unless you WS them from behind.
 Ifrit.Vextra
Server: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-07-28 20:16:56
Link | Quote | Reply

ive been hitting 800-1k+ guillotines in abyssea on mandies with perdue and about 1kish spinning slashes with naglering. so im guessing its not a bonus its just the weapon is bad ***!!
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-28 22:13:32
Link | Quote | Reply

The only thing you will notice the +20 ATTK from Naglering helping pull ahead is Higher Level Mobs with increcibly high Defense such as HNM.

Other than that in terms of WS DMG it has nothing going for it on normal mobs VS other GS.