Why do people change their gear when you examine them
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Lakshmi.Tyidus
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
user: Tyidus
By Lakshmi.Tyidus 2009-01-13 16:57:55
Link | Quote | Reply

i have noticed lately that when i examine people occasionaly that they change their armor on purpose. why do people do that? lol...if they dont like being examined they can turn the chat filter on that makes it where you dont know if they do or not
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 17:03:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I've been known to do it. I've also been known to make a macro to remove all my gear. It's seen as "rude" by a several people.

I think it comes down to:

It's my gear, it's good enough for me. If you want to see it, feel free to say "Mind if I check?", otherwise you don't need to see it.
 Shiva.Rajwa
Server: Shiva
user: RajwaChan
By Shiva.Rajwa 2009-01-13 17:05:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Some people are embarrassed of being gimp and don't want people to know it. Some people have a rare piece of equipment and don't want to be bothered with questions about it. Some people are JP who think its still 2004 and its "rude". Some people pretend they are JP from 2004 and think its "rude". Some people are just stupid. I think that covers all the reasons people change equipment when examined.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2009-01-13 17:06:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Or just turn the check notice off and you won't even know if/when you are being checked. If anyone thinks it's rude they need to chill out.
 Seraph.Goldey
Server: Seraph
user: Goldey
By Seraph.Goldey 2009-01-13 17:09:02
Link | Quote | Reply

I know sometimes I am about to change a piece of gear right when someone examines me, so they probably think I'm one of those people that doesn't like being checked. A lot of times it can be purely accidental, but yes, there are the few that can't stand being examined and will even GM you if you do it more than twice...

I know there was an article floating around a while ago as to how /check looked in japanese. <Player> stares at you fixedly or something to that effect. That's kinda creepy and if the JPs don't already have it filtered, they probably will swap gear on you to make you go away lol.
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-01-13 17:12:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Goldey said:

I know there was an article floating around a while ago as to how /check looked in japanese. <player> stares at you fixedly or something to that effect. That's kinda creepy and if the JPs don't already have it filtered, they probably will swap gear on you to make you go away lol.</player>

Yeah I read this too, and it's prolly the main reason, at least for JP players.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 17:15:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I wanna see this article >.> sounds like fun XD
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2009-01-13 17:16:16
Link | Quote | Reply

are they JP or NA players?

I know JPs tend to never check people because they feel the /emote text originally written by SE was rude and offensive. Instead of "soandso examines you" it reads "soandso stares at you fixedly." or some ***along those lines
 Kujata.Malicfayt
Server: Kujata
user: Malicfayt
By Kujata.Malicfayt 2009-01-13 17:27:55
Link | Quote | Reply

they change gear beause everyone tries to hide the fact that they all own a Ridill but you! The person checking that is. (yes even if they aren't on BST DRK RNG SAM THF or WAR or have them leveled) *cough* *cough* /sadface haha XD
jay kay!

But yea just some people don't like being checked.
 Pandemonium.Luignata
Server: Pandemonium
user:
By Pandemonium.Luignata 2009-01-13 17:34:21
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I don’t tend to check anyone. And when I do, it’s usually people with bazaars, I enter their bazaar, leave it, then examine the players gear. Helps hide the fact that I’m looking at them. I even go as far as to face my character away from the player so that they don’t notice the fact that my character is staring at them. Maybe I’m a little paranoid. :P

As for being examined, I’ve got nothing against it except if you do it multiple times. While standing around I’ll have people come examine me.. continue on. 5 minutes later they’re back, examine me again. 15 minutes they’re back, examine me again. For god sakes it’s not like my equipment is gonna change in the next 30 minutes, quick freaking examining me.

Usually it only happens in dungeons while I’m standing there looking for a party.
 Bismarck.Renowaik
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Renowaik 2009-01-13 17:48:51
Link | Quote | Reply

I love when people examine me. I take a lot of pride in my gear. I've spent countless hours farming and camping for it. I'm a sucker for R/EX gear too, I like people to know I earned it, that I didn't buy it. Makes me wish sorc ring/uggy pendant and other gear was R/EX. Heck, most of the time when I get examined, I'll examine myself to see what they're seeing.

Egotistical? Maybe. But it says a lot about people who don't like being examined to me.
 Phoenix.Strongside
Server: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Strongside 2009-01-13 18:01:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
I've been known to do it. I've also been known to make a macro to remove all my gear. It's seen as "rude" by a several people.

It's my gear, it's good enough for me. If you want to see it, feel free to say "Mind if I check?", otherwise you don't need to see it.

ROFL NOOB
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2009-01-13 18:03:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Renowaik said:
I like people to know I earned it, that I didn't buy it.

nah dude, ppl will just think u bought the char ;) j/k lol

I dont like to examine ppl and i ask if i want to do it. everyone said yes, but i think its common courtesy to ask (there I go again lol)

anyway i dont mind ppl checking me in my non-gimpness, non-1337ness, im usually in
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 18:05:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Strongside said:
Hitetsu said:

ROFL NOOB

Simply amazing arguement.. Anything else to add?
 Phoenix.Strongside
By Phoenix.Strongside 2009-01-13 18:07:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
Strongside said:
Hitetsu said:

ROFL NOOB

Simply amazing arguement.. Anything else to add?

Ya no ones gonna ask if they can check you who the *** you think you are lmao! Mind if i drop my balls in your mouth?
 Ramuh.Trapt
Server: Ramuh
user: DMCrocker
By Ramuh.Trapt 2009-01-13 18:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Whenever i see someone do this i usually check em over and over again lol
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 18:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Go for it!

And to be fair, I know a lot of people that simply ask if someone mind's looking at certain pieces of gear.

So, maybe on servers where the average IQ is less than that of a dead gnat.. it's not very commonplace, but at least on Sylph I've seen it a lot.. so yes, yes I do think people will ask.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-01-13 18:12:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:

Listen, I'm not going to ask you if I can use a built-in feature of the game. It's there so I'm going to use it. Don't like it? Too bad.

FYI, if you use "/check name" without targeting the person they can change gear all they want and the equipment window won't close. This even works if they zone or run more than 50' away. Now you know. /check ftw.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2009-01-13 18:22:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I once /checked a guy in whitegate by ah. He seemed to take offense because he started spamming /c on me about 6-7 times. It made me lol.

I often check people running around especially on certain jobs i'm less familiar with. I personally don't understand why some players find it offensive or intrusive, either way typing /c is ftw.
 Bismarck.Renowaik
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Renowaik 2009-01-13 18:22:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
Quote:

I like people to know I earned it, that I didn't buy it.

nah dude, ppl will just think u bought the char ;) j/k lol

Lol I guess I walked into that one :P
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 18:24:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Baelorn said:
Listen, I'm not going to ask you if I can use a built-in feature of the game.

I don't expect people to. Please, point me to the point where I wasn't giving a generic example of a possible thought pattern from any random player, and making a direct statement saying "You should all ask me before you check my gear".

I'd like to point out, I don't mind if people feel the undying urge to check me. I have it filtered, simple as that. I also have a bazaar up 24/7, so I honestly expect a lot of checking to see if I'm selling anything worth buying.

What I said was a general, completely possible, thought that someone who changes gear does. Maybe if you had read it a few times before attempting to start arguing, you would've noticed.
 Leviathan.Fyekuhi
Server: Leviathan
user: Fyekuhi
By Leviathan.Fyekuhi 2009-01-13 18:25:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Rajwa said:
Some people are JP who think its still 2004 and its "rude". Some people pretend they are JP from 2004 and think its "rude". Some people are just stupid. I think that covers all the reasons people change equipment when examined.

lol so true so true
 Fenrir.Alijah
Server: Fenrir
user: Alijah
By Fenrir.Alijah 2009-01-13 18:33:07
Link | Quote | Reply

I dont mind people checking me at all because personally, Im very proud of my gear. I worked long and hard to get the things that I wear and to have someone /check and see the hard work I've done doesn't really bother me.

Plus, not everyone /checking someone is doing it to compare or be nosy. Sometimes, something just looks really cool. Back when ZNM first introduced, I saw that red great sword on someone and gave them a /check just cause it looked so cool and different and I had no idea what it was. When I was leveling bard, I'd check higher level bards to get ideas of what I could be wearing or macro'ing in.

Also, I've checked people to look at their linkshell. When I was looking for a salvage ls, if I saw someone in a bunch of Salvage gears, I'd check them to see the name of their ls. And now that my salvage shell is growing, we love people checking us. Nothing is better advertisement for your salvage shell than having people standing around in 5/5 salvage gears.

But, thats just me. I understand some people hate it so I dont usually check someone unless they have a bazaar up or their gear just looks too interesting to contain myself.
 Leviathan.Syagin
Server: Leviathan
user: Kerron
By Leviathan.Syagin 2009-01-13 18:40:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure how using a feature in a video game is "Rude". I understand this is some r even most peoples release but! how much harm does it really cause? is it affecting how you play the game or what you accomplish? please explain that. At the end of the day if you play to get pimp gear you want people to notice because if you didn't you would run around with NO gear n at all, At least thats my opinion. An to GM someone that checks you more than once that person is just to absorbed an one miserable S.O.B. So I kinda get joy out of creating the "/em examines you." macro for those same people an stand in the middle of whitegate =)
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 18:51:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Syagin said:
Not sure how using a feature in a video game is "Rude".

Personally, it just annoyed me. I couldn't explain why, I don't really know.. it just did >.>

But, from what I understand of the people I've spoke to that say they find it rude is: some people find it rude because they're very "private" and as such think that what carries along in the real world should carry along online.

Example: You wouldn't walk into someone's house and look through their drawers without asking, right?

As I said in my first post, some people have the philosophy "It's mine, not yours, you don't need to see it".

That's the best explanation I can think of atm >.>

Yes, it annoyed me. No, I didn't find it rude. Yes, you're more than welcome to /t me spamming me with stupid questions like "Are the items in your bazaar that cost 99,999,999,999 for some super special quest?!?!".. No, I probably won't give you a straight answer to that question.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2009-01-13 18:57:08
Link | Quote | Reply

The original Japanese release implies heavily that checking someone is a creepy and rude thing to do. It is built into the message text Japanese players receive when they are checked, which is along the lines of someone staring at you in a creepy/stalkerish way. SquareEnix intentionally made the message this way. This contributed to a universally accepted notion, by all players, that /checking without asking was supposed to be seen as some kind of personal violation.

When NA and other foreign players suddenly arrived on the scene years later, Japanese players were shocked to discover that they were apparently intentionally choosing to ignore this long-established convention. They did not understand that in the English version of the game, /checking another person is translated as a purely neutral act. Therefore, they assumed the English players were being intentionally offensive just to mess with them.

The English-speaking players' tendency to completely ignore other long-established cultural etiquette regarding gameplay and interpersonal procedures did not help either. As such, true or not, /checking without asking is forever associated in the minds of many Japanese players as an intrinsic example of how English-speaking players invaded and ruined their game.

One could also argue that /checking is a much more important part of the game for English-speaking players than Japanese-speaking ones, as Japanese gamer culture tends to place more emphasis on privacy, where English-speaking gamer culture places more emphasis on achievement via display of gear.
 Valefor.Xenogelion
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Xenogelion 2009-01-13 19:02:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I have people come up and examine me, check my bazaar and walk away. Then they come back and check my bazaar again like i got something new in it or something. i dont mind getting examined, but its kinda annoying when the same person checks your bazaar several times in like 5 minutes.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-01-13 19:02:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Hitetsu said:
I've been known to do it. I've also been known to make a macro to remove all my gear.

You clearly pointed out that you are(were?) one of those people. You're contradicting yourself and that's not my problem. Maybe you should learn to communicate if you have problems with being misinterpreted on a discussion forum. Your post was poorly written and I wasn't the only one that misunderstood what you were saying(or trying to say).
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-01-13 19:10:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't think it's about rudeness, or anything about that. It's about people looking for something to make a deal out of. If it wasn't about being checked, then it'd be about your character making eye contact with theres, or breathing the same e-air as them, etc.

People just can't get by without something to complain about.

Personally I wouldn't be bothered at all if someone checked me ten times in a row. I'd be quite flattered to be honest.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-01-13 19:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

It may have been a bad choice of words (Where I'm from, this is different to being "Poorly Written"), and I probably didn't get the point I was attempting to make across.

A long time ago, I was one of the people that hated being checked. As far as I was concerned, it didn't matter what I was wearing. Over the past 5 years or so, I've started caring less about people checking me, it became more an annoyance seeing 4 lines of "Random person examines you!" than anything. About a year after I started I was playing around with Chat Filters and I found the "Stop that annoying message", which is why I no longer mind people checking me.

So yes, I was originally one of those people.
First Page 2 3 4 5