Swordstrap Or Polegrip For GS?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » swordstrap or polegrip for GS?
swordstrap or polegrip for GS?
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
Server: Alexander
Game: FFXI
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 13:33:55
Link | Quote | Reply

*necro kinda*

this?
 Fenrir.Gradd
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-07-17 13:49:56
Link | Quote | Reply

If you can Maintain your 7-Hit then Sword Strap would be the best choice, if not stick to pole.

To keep your 7-hit you would need Brutal Rajas and White Tat.

Or you can use Attila's Earring and Ecphoria ring instead of white Tat. Theres also a store TP +2 mantle you can get from campaign aswell.
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-07-17 13:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

If you could please post the rest of your gear since that is what makes the determining factor.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 14:08:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I just wanna know how much STP is needed for whatever hit. I can get pretty much whatever
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-07-17 14:08:59
Link | Quote | Reply

For /sam you would need 7 stp for a 7-hit and 27 stp for a 6-hit this is not including the swords stp.

Now if you wear a sword strap and /sam you would need 12 stp for a 7-hit and 33 stp for a 6-hit again this is not factoring in the stp on the sword.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-07-17 14:16:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Tidusblitz said:
I just wanna know how much STP is needed for whatever hit. I can get pretty much whatever

/SAM:

+7 STP is required to maintain a 7-hit build with that GS.
+36 STP for a 6-hit build.

/Not SAM:
+22 STP is required for 7-hit.
Didn't bother doing 6-hit >_>
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 14:19:15
Link | Quote | Reply

So Rajas Brutal Chiv covers it, but id have to keep chiv for WS too?
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-07-17 14:22:03
Link | Quote | Reply

So Rajas Brutal Chiv covers it, but id have to keep chiv for WS too?
If you are going for a 7 hit without a sword strap and /sam using that sword, that is more than enough since it has stp+4 all you would need is 3 more stp which rajas would cover.

Edit With sword strap that isn't enough to get a 7 hit you would need one more stp.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 14:26:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought he was including the sword in the calc, got it
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2010-07-17 14:27:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Thought he was including the sword in the calc, got it

Yeah, sorry about that XD I'm a little tired from work today; ^what galahad said XD
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 14:31:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Now my next question... I have Nightfall Naglering and Algol, would it be better then or come close to those?
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Gias
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-17 14:50:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry a little late on this, but with that 456 delay...

For a 7hit/6hit rebuild, you would need:

+22 StoreTP if using Pole grip. Which with /sam, rajas, brutal, and the StoreTP+4 on your weapon... you actually have +25STP... which is more than enough.

Now, if you're using sword strap, you will be at a 442 delay. And you would need +27 StoreTP and +26 StoreTP for WS.

So for the +27 StoreTP for TP, you could possibly do it with: /sam, rajas, brutal, the StoreTP+4 on your weapon, and then need +2 storeTP more. (either white tathlum, or attila's earring + ecphoria ring, or chivalrous chain + ecphoria ring)

Then for the +26StoreTP for WS, you could do: /sam, rajas, brutal, the StoreTP+4 on your weapon, and then need +1 StoreTP more... so just WS in attila's earring would do it.
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 14:57:47
Link | Quote | Reply

WSing in atillas sounds just awful >.> What about the other GSes i mentioned? how does it compare?
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-07-17 15:11:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I would stick with a naglering since you can get a solid 6-hit with it without much sacrifice but the 6 more dmg on kala does look hot. :Q
 Odin.Kraytos
Server: Odin
user: Tyseng
By Odin.Kraytos 2010-07-17 15:41:37
Link | Quote | Reply

i would do pole grip unless you're using merc sword for whatever reason
 Alexander.Tidusblitz
By Alexander.Tidusblitz 2010-07-17 15:47:18
Link | Quote | Reply

drk cant use merc sword >.>
[+]
 Sylph.Derekroy
user: Derekroy
By Sylph.Derekroy 2010-07-17 16:12:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I just wanna throw some fuel into the fire and see what these, and im being honest because I don't know the equasions in this game, brilliant people can figure out about the WS damage using these grips. Yes, the -delay can be nice for quicker TP gain....but what about your WS damage output? There is a handful of grips out there that can help in that catagory as well but sadly you cannot change out grips for WS. So my part of this thread is now, which is better factoring in WS's?
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-07-17 16:22:56
Link | Quote | Reply

The STR grips aren't better for overall damage.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-17 17:02:12
Link | Quote | Reply

WSing in atillas sounds just awful >.> What about the other GSes i mentioned? how does it compare?

Nah.. not really, using Attila's earring for WS provides the least sacrifice on your WS gear, while maintaining your X-hit build. Not to mention that you can possibly augment it with something nice, if you're lucky.

If you don't use Attilas's earring, than the other option is WSing in chivalrous chain, but then you can't use a Sea WS gorget...so that's a worse sacrifice... or you could WS in ecphoria ring, but then you wouldn't be able to use Flame ring for WS...which again, is a worse sacrifice than using Attila's earring to keep your X-hit build. You're only losing STR+2 if you're going from a brutal earring + triumph earring combo to a brutal earring + attila's earring combo(and that's if you didn't augment your attila's earring); however, with the attila's earring you get to keep the X-hit build etc.

As for the other GSs...

Don't use NightFall if you have Naglering.

As for Kalavejs Vs Naglering:

If using Pole grip with Kalavejs, Naglering has ~6.18% more WS frequency than Kalavejs, when going from 0% TP to 100% TP (takes Naglering 6hits to get to 100% TP and takes Kalavejs 7hit to get to 100% TP), and Naglering will have ~9.22% more WS frequency when going after a WS. (take Naglering 5hits to get back to 100% TP after a WS, and takes Kalavejs 6hits to get back to 100% TP after a WS, provided that you don't miss the WS, of course). Nevertheless, Kalavejs also does an extra swing on the way to 100% TP and has +6 more base damage than Naglering, though Naglering also has accuracy+4 and Attack+20, which may be very nice when fighting HNMs.

If using Sword strap with Kalavejs and you can pull off the 7hit build that requires +27StoreTP for TP and +26StoreTP for WS if using Sword strap with Kalavejs... then Naglering will have ~2.92% more WS frequency than Kalavejs, when going from 0% TP to 100% TP (takes Naglering 6hits to get to 100% TP and takes Kalavejs 7hit to get to 100% TP), and Naglering will have ~5.86% more WS frequency when going after a WS. (take Naglering 5hits to get back to 100% TP after a WS, and takes Kalavejs 6hits to get back to 100% TP after a WS, provided that you don't miss the WS, of course). Nevertheless, Kalavejs also does an extra swing on the way to 100% TP and has +6 more base damage than Naglering, though Naglering also has accuracy+4 and Attack+20, which may be very nice when fighting HNMs.

Based on the above, I would say that if you're using pole grip for an easy 7hit with Kalavejs, Naglering will be a bit better due to its higher WS frequency if you're doing WSs as much as possible at 100% TP. Further, the accuracy+4 and attack+20 from Naglering is also quite nice for HNMs.

If you can pull off the 7hit with 442 delay with Kalavejs, by using Sword strap, which would require you to have +27StoreTP for TP and +26StoreTP for WS... then I would say that Kalavejs may be a bit better than Naglering, since the WS frequency advantage from Naglering is smaller now. Kalavejs also has that +6 base damage and an extra hit on the way to 100% TP. Also, human error, not always doing WS at 100% etc. favors Kalavejs more than Naglering. They're both kinda close though, depending on how aggresive you play etc.

Honestly, I would stick with Naglering until even better options are available. Naglering is quite easy to 6hit etc. And I'm sure more and better GSs will be coming out in the next updates. Just as new Scythe are sure to come as well.
 Quetzalcoatl.Giazz
By Quetzalcoatl.Giazz 2010-07-17 17:44:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Derekroy said:
Ok I just wanna throw some fuel into the fire and see what these, and im being honest because I don't know the equasions in this game, brilliant people can figure out about the WS damage using these grips. Yes, the -delay can be nice for quicker TP gain....but what about your WS damage output? There is a handful of grips out there that can help in that catagory as well but sadly you cannot change out grips for WS. So my part of this thread is now, which is better factoring in WS's?

This has been discussed before. Raenryong even made mention of this in the first page of this thread:

Bahamut.Raenryong said:
Sword Strap is a static 3.09% increase in DoT/WS frequency (assuming no change in xhit, gear or otherwise). Pole Grip is a 1.9% increase in DoT/WS frequency and a x% increase to WS damage.

Just as Raenryong indicates, Sword strap will be better as long as you can use it while still maintaining your X-hit build. Then as you know, switching grips during WS is out of the question because you would lose TP by doing that.

Double attack is nice, no doubt, though as you increase your double attack values, you do not get increasing percentage returns. (Haste gets increasing returns but not double attack)

In % (percent) increase, Double attack has diminishing returns. Adding more DA to your previous DA is less of an increase than adding DA to no DA.

That being said, going back to WS damage.

Double attack on a WS like Spinning Slash... isn't as good as double attack on a multi-hit WS like Guillotine.

There is also the thing that Spinning slash is a 1hit WS and apparently only gets the Cratio bonus (attack bonus, as some like to view it for simplicity's sake), and accuracy bonus on the first 1 hit of the WS. A double attack proc carries no Cratio bonus(thus the extra dmg from the DA proc is not as strong as the first hit) and also no accuracy bonus, and as a result... chances are you will probably not land the DA proc on the 1-hit WS too often... making the extra 2% DA from pole grip even less valuable for a 1-hit WS.

And again, to put it simply:

Rose strap is great if you need it for your X-hit build, if not... then Sword strap if it does not break your X-hit build, otherwise, go with Pole grip.