Forum » FFXI » General » omg someone help me lol friggin ps3 ><
omg someone help me lol friggin ps3 ><
 Odin.Breckk
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: bobnjenn
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 00:13:35
Link | Quote | Reply

ok. so ive have never posted anything on any kind of forum. im the type who likes to just browse the topics, But im about to pull my hair out over my ps3 and hoping someone can help me.

So here's the deal. Me and wife use to play ffxi all the time she would use the pc and i would play on my ps3. but then we had kids and she kinda fell away from the game due to time consumption and motherly instinct. so i kinda migrated to pc and became a crafting junky, i havent turned on the ps3 to actually play this game in nearly 10months. Today when i came home from work she was talking about maybe checking out the game again so i turned on the ps3 and loaded up ffxi as i always did but nothing is happening, the TV just says no video signal. I was logged in on the comp when i started it up and i got booted from it saying i got logged somewhere else so i know the ps3 loaded and logged me but i cant see it. WHYyyyyyy ; ; ive tried everything i could see in the ps3 menu's that might affect it idk what to do.
I tried deleting and reloading the ps2 utility from playstationstore but it didnt work still cant see anything. I put in ffxii for ps2 which i played on my ps3 before as well and i cant see it either. it loads and plays ps3 games just fine.
I hoping someone has had this trouble with a fix and that there is not something wrong with my ps3 any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Asura.Mikerocca
Server: Asura
user: kord
By Asura.Mikerocca 2009-01-05 00:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I guess the first logical question would be--do other things work on your PS3? Games, movies, etc...
 Odin.Breckk
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 00:19:26
Link | Quote | Reply

yes i tried a regular dvd works fine a BD just fine threw in oblivion it loaded just fine but anything to with ps2 doesnt show on the tv i have the 60GB ps3 and it worked before, has something changed in one of the ps3 system updates maybe wont play ps2 games anymore?
 Asura.Mikerocca
By Asura.Mikerocca 2009-01-05 00:27:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't claim to know anything about ps3...don't own one, probably won't for quite some time, but didn't they say something like ps3's aren't backwards compatible anymore? was there some kind of software update or something, or was it just a hardware issue?
 Odin.Breckk
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 00:32:35
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm not sure i did download the lastest version update before i tried to load ffxi......probably hasnt been updated within the 10 months i played ffxi on it last. is this something that recent? The ps2 utility for ps3 is still avail for download if they changed the compatibility wouldnt they take that off the online store?
 Caitsith.Samina
Server: Caitsith
user: Samina
By Caitsith.Samina 2009-01-05 00:34:48
Link | Quote | Reply

My bf and I got a ps3 for christmas this year and after the fact did some research. (the ps3 was given as a gift, we didn't buy it)
we tried to install ps2 disc of ffxi, didn't work. It says right on the box it isn't backwards compatible. bummer
So I head to the geeky guys down and Gamestop that stop and stare when a women walks in and I talk to them. They tell me I'm only going to find a ps3 backwards compatible on ebay or MAYBE the ps3 official website.
So off to the ps3 website I go. I find out they have stopped production on all backwards compatible ps3 in Sept/Aug of 2007, so of corse you can't buy them from official website.
So I go to ebay, thinking I might strike gold... Nope the only one getting gold is the one person selling it for 700$ I'm not paying that much.
I do more research find some rumored info on a downloadable patch... go back to ps3 website, can't find anything on this. It is my assumtion it doesn't exist.
Good luck with your ps3, it wasn't worth the hassel for me as we will be taking ours back to best buy.
Hope this information helps you.
 Odin.Breckk
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 00:39:12
Link | Quote | Reply

So if was able to play ffxi on my ps3 before(nothing has been removed or reloaded as far ffxi is concerned) does that mean i have a backwards compatable disc? and it should be working fine?
 Asura.Mikerocca
By Asura.Mikerocca 2009-01-05 00:43:44
Link | Quote | Reply

one would assume that you have a backwards compatible edition, but i dont know...hardware is governed by software--it would be very easy for them to make a PS3 update that makes the console unable to recognize the PS2 disc.
 Caitsith.Samina
Server: Caitsith
user: Samina
By Caitsith.Samina 2009-01-05 00:45:03
Link | Quote | Reply

It's not the disc that are backwards compatible it's the ps3, only 3 models where made that are compatible with ps2 discs. This info is what I got from the official ps3 site.
serial numbers (located on back of consol)
CECHE01 *80G*
CECHA01 *60G*
CECHB01 *20G*
This are the only 3 models built backwards compatible, and none have been built since aug/sept 07. If you have one of these your ps2 discs should work. If you don't, well then... may as well use it as a door stop imo.
If you have one of these and it still doesn't work, idk what to do then cause THAT problem didn't apply to me lol.
 Bahamut.Etrayis
Server: Bahamut
user: Etrayis
By Bahamut.Etrayis 2009-01-05 02:08:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry to here. While I do feel bad for your situation, score one for hating PS3!!!

Also sorry this doesn't help you in any way.
 Ragnarok.Psyence
Server: Ragnarok
user: Psyence
By Ragnarok.Psyence 2009-01-05 02:14:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I do not know everything, but here's what I can guarantee is true:

the only reason Sony stopped building backward compatible PS3s is lower production costs. It would make no sense to make older builds of the PS3 incompatible with PS2 games by releasing a new sotware update that PREVENTS it from working anymore.

Also, the first PlayStation 3, the 60GB edition, has the PS2 HARDWARE built in. Which means, it IS a PS2. The thing about FF11 is HDD emulation. At first, FF11 used not to be compatible but later, a patch was released to fix that so that the PS3 could use it's own HDD as a PS2 HDD too (it was confirmed officially that this update was specificaly so that FF11 would work properly).

2 later editions of the PS3 came with backward compatibility , but no emotion-engine, just emulation. The compatibility with all PS2 games is therefore not 100% anymore, with those models. But FF11 is said to work fine. The first model of 80GB PS3 was like this.

After that, they stopped making them backward compatible. If you have an old PS3, good for you. If not, just buy a 20GB xbox360, no matter how much you hate microsoft, if you're going to play FF11 on a console, you don't want to spend 700$ on a PS3, to be forced to play it with PS2 graphics and horrible framerate. The 360 version runs in HD pretty much like the PC version... The PS2 version will never work in a higher resolution than 640x480, no matter what type of PS3/PS2 you are using.

Hope this helps ^^
 Odin.Breckk
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 02:27:18
Link | Quote | Reply

wow sounds like your well informed psyence. i dont really mind the graphics i get from the ps2 version on ps3 its mainly about me and the wife getting to spend some online time together in a game that is enjoyable to us both, and its been some time since we have gotten to sit an do this together, its just disappointing to me that the ps3 is giving me such a hard time. so why is it that my 60gb ps3 that i paid 700 for when it came out can no longer give me video display of ps2 games? im begining to think maybe a corrupt file or something on harddrive? but if that was case why wouldnt deleting the the ps2 utility and reinstalling fix it? is it something in my menu that got changed that im unaware of perhaps by a kid grabing the remote and hitting buttons i have no idea. is that even possible? am i the only one that has ever had this problem ; ; ; ; ;
 Cerberus.Cecel
Server: Cerberus
user: Cecel
By Cerberus.Cecel 2009-01-05 08:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I use to have the same problems when I use my PS3 with HDMI cables. All I do is unplug the cable and replug it in while the game is running. If your turning on the PS3 and not getting anything that means the PS3 is set on a Higher lvl video output then when you last use it. For some reason the PS3 will auto detect when you put HDMI on when you are using normal cables but when you try to go backwards from HDMI to normal cables or lower video u have to do it yourself. Well I hope this helps you.
 Fairy.Bruser
Server: Fairy
user: gorteg3
By Fairy.Bruser 2009-01-05 08:24:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If the only problem is that you can't see it, it might be a resoulition issue. Seems odd that everything else works though. I have my ps3 hooked up to my hdtv and its set at 1080p. When I turn on ffxi, it changes to 480p (or i can't remeber). can try to change the resoultion down on the ps3 in the option menu or under the ps2 game menu can try to play around with fit to screen / normal size. I play on fit to screen.
I am writing this at work, so I can't google your problem. But I hope this helps you.
 Odin.Breckk
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 17:09:30
Link | Quote | Reply

well after further investigation and trying some of suggestions here it seems all is lost. everything plays dvd/bd/ps1/ps3 but no ps2 games at all will load ; ;
After a phone call to Sony it seems it's gonna have to be sent in hope i dont get a refurb back or something...... Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and offering some assistance.
 Unicorn.Smurfo
Server: Unicorn
user: Stubbie
By Unicorn.Smurfo 2009-01-05 17:16:01
Link | Quote | Reply

yah thats a bummer man, i bought a ps3 of the last line of production that was backwards compatible.. my friend bought one just a month later and his wont play ps2..

also they removed 2 of the front panel USB ports on the newer line which is just pure stupid but thats a telltale sign of a non-ps2 compatible unit i guess.

I fear the day that i break mine ; ; no extended warranty on it and even if mine craps out under warranty i bet they ship me a newer model, i'd be pissed...
 Fenrir.Jackblck
Server: Fenrir
user: Jackblck
By Fenrir.Jackblck 2009-01-05 20:13:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I know that after a long time of not using the ps3, id say about 6months, when i started ffxi it had to add HDD space to the existing partition made for it already.

Is your HDD full? My ps3 is the original series, 60gb HDD, and I ended up deleting many demos i wasnt playing anymore.

Check it out, best of luck.
 Odin.Breckk
By Odin.Breckk 2009-01-05 20:21:37
Link | Quote | Reply

yea i had to add a partition as well cuz ffxi increased to 13gb im currently sitting on 30/55gb after deleting a bunch of stuff also