New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Servers » Gilgamesh » WHM useless job
WHM useless job
First Page 2 3 4 5
By ReverendC 2010-06-27 08:33:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought a few years ago, when for weeks, I could not find a PT with WHM, that is was useless. I stuck with it though, and did what I could. I made 75, but recent events have made me go back to my opinion. I spent many hours seeking a PT and no one invited, I would guess this validates my opinion. Guess it is time to chang my main job, to some DD, so that someday, I will make it to at least 76 LOL, because as WHM I don't see that happening, anytime soon. Of course, I would think LS's have their own WHM's and have no need of a freelance. The LS's I have found so far are pathetic... unwilling to help level, unless it is the "select" few, that are close friends. Well enuf said LOL time for me to level some other job, maybe PLD.
[+]
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-27 08:36:24
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM is fantastic. RDM + WHM in parties makes SUCH a huge difference compared to RDM onry.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Ouch
By Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie 2010-06-27 08:40:35
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're unable to get a party as a healer, my bet is that you're not trying very hard at all.
[+]
 Asura.Shayka
Server: Asura
user: Shayka
By Asura.Shayka 2010-06-27 08:40:36
Link | Quote | Reply

I had no problem getting WHM lvled and I don't party on it lol, I just soloed/duoed or did Campaign when high enough. Its 77 now, maybe on your server LS's aren't seeking WHM's, but on mines, endgame shells will specifically shout FOR a WHM usually and its not hard to get a good social shell and lvl with friends from that LS, but it is always nice to have a DD job too >.>
[+]
 Phoenix.Ailoki
Server: Phoenix
user: Xenophire
By Phoenix.Ailoki 2010-06-27 08:42:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Ouchie said:
If you're unable to get a party as a healer, my bet is that you're not trying very hard at all.
Or that he has earned a negative reputation as a healer. I had no problem leveling WHM, and still have no problem with it.
[+]
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-27 08:48:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Nowadays you'll be requested/expected to sub SCH. If you're not WHM/sch you might have SOME difficulty... but as far as merit parties go WHMs are just as good at healing as RDM and have more than enough MND and enfeebling to debuff an exp party mob. I'll admit I do /sea all RDM first before I'll do /sea all WHM when making a party; I wish I could /sea all WHM & RDM... Though I typically search for EVERYONE with a search comment up in the West Aht Urghan Region first and foremost.

I could see you having some difficulty getting a merit party, as I've said... but that doesn't mean the job is useless. THF is also not at the top of the list for invites to merit, but where would we be without their pulling/kiting/sac'ing skills and their lovely TH? And I still prefer them over SAM's for planting hate, personally.

Also... When I first leveled COR it was when the job was new and no one knew anything about it. less than 10% of people I came across new anything about COR other than the fact that we had an exp roll. No one would invite me past 30~. From 30 to 66 I made all my parties until I finally impressed some veterans and they static'd with me until 75.

For PUP... same thing, except no invites EVER-not even to the dunes. I made every party for PUP all the way to 70 and then campaigned for the rest.

My PUP is always top parser in merits, it takes a ridill, Kclub, or relic in addition to the WS gear to back it up to top my PUP. I have also been top parser at Nidhogg. PUP can do things other jobs can't (including amazing solo capabilities) and above all I LOVE THE JOB. I didn't give up on it...

If you ENJOY PLAYING your job, stick with it man. And WHMs are well loved, at least on my server... I'd invite you!!!
By ReverendC 2010-06-27 08:49:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I have no problem with my reputation, and have not been on this server long. And I spent approx 20 hours seeking with NO invites, Campaign I guess I could try, never go near it, and I have spent 3 1/2 years on WHM. with NEVER a complaint. Also leveled BLM in 6 months to 75 never got invite with that either, guesss I'll stick to duoing with wife, and bringing up job that is useful.
 Leviathan.Willoflame
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-06-27 08:51:40
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM was my first 75, and I didn't have too hard of a time getting parties. I think the problem is is that people do /sea all whm invite, then they see a 75 WHM seeking, but assume they don't want to sync to X level. See that's the problem with most people now-a-days, is that they're so picky about their parties, they don't wanna seek below X level because they don't like that zone. It's experience points, people!

Endgame WHM, I don't understand why any LS's wouldn't want a WHM. Sure a RDM can do your job but RDM has to enfeeble, refresh, and sleep stuff, while WHM's sole purpose is to keep the team alive, and when they do suffer defeat, always be cheerful and ready with a raise3!
[+]
By Rogueleader 2010-06-27 09:03:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Do I sense troll?... Whm is not useless at all... While it is true in party situations most will take a Redmage over a scholar over a whitemage. So we're the last pic for healing tier besides a summoner subbing a heal job. Down time is everything in parties, so a mage that can recover mp faster is chosen over another that cant. . Sure whm's can heal just fine, as that was what they were designed to do along with status ailment, but the problem is mp management.
The same goes for a Blm being a dd in an exp party. They can shell out huge nukes, but they blow their mp and have down time.

For endgame purposes we have the highest heals, Prot/shell, raises (because god knows everyone wants a raise III over a raise II. And with the sacrifice esuna combo, or just standing near aoe status ailment mobs that don't do much aoe dmg to recieve the effects, we can remedy the entire party simultaneously. . Not to mention the stoneskin bonus Afflatus:solace gives which doesn't seem like a huge dmg stopper, adds up after a while. Regarding you're statement for ls's needing whitemages. Unless an area is capped to the number of people you can have in it at one time, a healer is amazing. Sure you have an alliance of 18, but you can have an unlimited number of backup heals outside of the alliance curing the entire time, unlike DDS which have to wait to be swapped in.

To say that a whitemage is useless just because it can't get an invite for a party is just ignorant. Look at thiefs, not many want them for parties, but they're amazing for TH4, fishing, and hate placement for endgame events.

And if you don't get invited to a party, then stop whining and make one yourself.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-27 09:24:57
Link | Quote | Reply

WHM bad, wtf?

White Mage is currently the best healer in the game by a longshot. There's no competition. Unless the WHM in question sucks, with /sch in particular their MP conservation is fine. Unless you need Refresh I don't see why I would particularly invite a RDM over a WHM for an exp party (unless RDM in question is Mithra and wearing Warlock's Tights).
[+]
By Rogueleader 2010-06-27 09:46:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree, subbing /sch you can usually make it by tossing cures and hastes in a merit party and resting mid fight when parties hp and buffs are up. But it also depends more on the DDs imo. If they're diligent with hate management and utsu casting, then usually you wont run out of mp, but if they pull a drknoob and use all of their job abilities in a streak and ws the mob in super saiyen 4 mode right off the start of the fight, then you can have issues.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2010-06-27 09:48:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well yeah, I agree with that. People seem to think RDM is this unstoppable MP battery when in the above case, it'll just blow its MP, have to Convert, and then be stuck if the pattern persists.

I think RDM does have better MP management than WHM, but overall is a far less efficient healer.
[+]
By Rogueleader 2010-06-27 10:00:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, its surprising how well Regen III can take care of a party if you have full merits and the dyn body, with 28 hp/3 tics. Toss that baby on two of the most potent hate grabbers and you can usually manage fine. Its surprising how so few whms I see keep Regen III up, Sure it has a cost of 64 mp, but that compared to 88 mp for a Cure IV is a great bargain. Additionally with light arts and strategems most of the time you can toss these spells out at around 28ish or so mp.
By ignatiouswang 2010-06-27 10:33:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Make your on party! i almost always make my own party now matter what job i am.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-27 10:35:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Besides added Cure potency and Regen III, what does WHM really have over SCH?
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-06-27 10:40:18
Link | Quote | Reply

OP, what's your seacom when you're seeking? During this hectic leveling time when healers lfp are plentiful, you need a good seacom like it was a 3-line resume to get people to consider you over another healer.

Try something like:
{i want experience points} {long time}
{food}: O {sub}: {any} {world}: O
{level sync}: OK

Something that shows you're more prepared than the other guy. You could also put in something like "ask me about my gear" to show you're confident and proud of your WHM. Just a thought.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2010-06-27 10:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:

Afflatus Solace/Misery, Esuna, Auspice, Sacrifice, Repose, Haste, etc.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-27 10:46:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Don't forget Barwatera, since you want to list as many useless spells as you can.

SCH gets Stoneskinga, Erasega, Sleeps, and Haste now anyway. Sacrifice is just there to make Esuna suck less, and Auspice is generally only truly useful in parties where WHM wouldn't be invited in the first place. Cure V is almost never actually useful, and apparently neither is Cure VI.

It's true that I'm mainly speaking for LV75 rather than 80, but all mage jobs are going to be the same at 99 anyway.
[+]
 Phoenix.Airbag
Server: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Airbag 2010-06-27 10:52:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Don't forget Barwatera, since you want to list as many useless spells as you can.

SCH gets Stoneskinga, Erasega, Sleeps, and Haste now anyway. Sacrifice is just there to make Esuna suck less, and Auspice is generally only truly useful in parties where WHM wouldn't be invited in the first place. Cure V is almost never actually useful, and apparently neither is Cure VI.

It's true that I'm mainly speaking for LV75 rather than 80, but all mage jobs are going to be the same at 99 anyway.

You might be HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-06-27 10:52:59
Link | Quote | Reply

All I know is be it lv76 Vulture pt's or Nyzul or ANYWHERE I play WHM my Penury CuragaIII (+my 52% Cure Potency) > RDM and their convert every single time.

A High and Potent AoE Cure is way more efficent than casting 2 low potency CureIV and 5 CureIII to clean the pt up.

Not to mention my 5/5 ShellraV and max gear/merited barspells as well as /sch stoneskin-ga in afew levels are HUGE in dmg mitigation.

Oh. If you seriously want xp. Never seek. Be pro-active and MAKE pt's. Hustle till it flows yo:p
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-27 10:54:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:

Until anyone proves anything I said wrong, I also might not be.
 Unicorn.Jewkitten
user: Jewkitten
By Unicorn.Jewkitten 2010-06-27 10:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

"Cure V is almost never actually useful" ....

that is the dumbest thing that has ever been uttered on this website. ever.

There are two spells that I cast 90% of the time.

Penury Cure V

and Penury CuragaII-IV

with Cure V healing almost 1k a pop, health and hate are never an issue.

as for Curaga waiting till the mob is about dead then boom, instantly the pt is at 100%.

the occasional CureIII OK!

WHM who cast CureIV need to be strung up and whipped!:p
[+]
 Pandemonium.Vitrolant
Server: Pandemonium
user: Vitrolant
By Pandemonium.Vitrolant 2010-06-27 10:58:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Airbag said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Siren.Enternius said:

i dare say he is... and the bar spells are amazing when you can get a whm to cast them on you in endgame
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-06-27 10:58:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Lots and lots of cure potency, to be exact. Particularly factoring in the fact that anyone who's SCH main would get the mini-pacs augmented towards nukes.

Even if you factor in a SCH using cure potency augments on his stuff, WHM gets...
-Medicine Ring (10)
-Healing Feather (15)
-Aristocrat's (12)
-Roundel (5)
-Orison Cape (3)

Even if you take out healing feather, that's 10+12+5+3; 30% more.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2010-06-27 11:03:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Don't forget Barwatera, since you want to list as many useless spells as you can. SCH gets Stoneskinga, Erasega, Sleeps, and Haste now anyway. Sacrifice is just there to make Esuna suck less, and Auspice is generally only truly useful in parties where WHM wouldn't be invited in the first place. Cure V is almost never actually useful, and apparently neither is Cure VI. It's true that I'm mainly speaking for LV75 rather than 80, but all mage jobs are going to be the same at 99 anyway.
Those spells aren't useless, I don't know what you're talking about. Auspice does help when you want to prevent TP spam.

At 80 WHM will be able to do Stoneskinga and Erasega too. You could also put a stoneskin on another person with a Cure V/VI if you have Afflatus Solace up. Also remember Strategems have a 1 minute cooldown, Esuna and all those are about ~15sec with minimal haste gear, and can remove more than 1 status ailment.
[+]
By Rogueleader 2010-06-27 11:07:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:

Sacrifice is just there to make Esuna suck less, and Auspice is generally only truly useful in parties where WHM wouldn't be invited in the first place. Cure V is almost never actually useful, and apparently neither is Cure VI.

For starters, Esuna is anything but terrible.....
It can remove nearly everything that you have... Ever been in nyzul isle or somewhere when you're poisoned, blinded, cursed, paralyzed, slowed, or any combination of debuffs? As long as whm has it on themselves with misery, they can remove it off everyone around them in party.... It saves the whm from casting Erase, paralyna, cursna, poisona, etc. And how do we get it without sacrifice? Stand beside the monster..... As long as its aoe's dont silence or do huge damage, then I do it constantly to keep my party remedied. Just keep stoneskin up. How anyone could say this spell is terrible is beyond me..

Auspice is good in any given situation. Less tp mob is fed, less tp moves it can pull off. I don't know why anyone would say this is a bad spell. Most likely in an endgame shell a whitemage isn't going to be in a DD party, although even if its only one dd this spell effects, any less tp fed to mob is good.

To Cure V never being useful. Have you ever been in an endgame event?...... Really? A cure spell that can fill most tanks and DD's hp 70%+ with afflatus solace granting around a 200 hp stoneskin buffer. People do get hit hard in endgame events.... where cure IV spams arent enough, this gets the job done
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-06-27 11:07:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Siren.Enternius said:

Did you just call Afflatus, Esuna, Auspice, Sacrifice, and Repose useless?

Ent, why don't you just get the *** out of here already. For one, you've quit; stop trying to act like the biggest know it all, omniscient son of a *** over a game that you bash left and right. All you do around here is tell other people they're wrong and talk out of your ***.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2010-06-27 11:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra said:
Lots and lots of cure potency, to be exact.

I'm not arguing against that. I said that's the major thing that I see that makes WHM the best healer. Though I was accounting for Rapture, which does add 50% cure potency every minute, meaning SCH essentially gets Divine Seal every 2 minutes rather than 10 for WHM. Obviously, WHM still has higher possible cures, but again, it doesn't mean much when your tank should almost never actually be down 1000 HP.
 Lakshmi.Snuffy
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Snuffy 2010-06-27 11:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Cure V is almost never actually useful
This is also the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE statement I've ever seen in the game. Wow.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Terria
Server: Carbuncle
user: Terria
By Carbuncle.Terria 2010-06-27 11:12:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Snuffy said:
Siren.Enternius said:
Cure V is almost never actually useful
This is also the most HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE statement I've ever seen in the game. Wow.

>.> I seen this and had to wonder if the person posting it was being sarcastic.
First Page 2 3 4 5