Forum » FFXI » Endgame » Campaign » Campaign Gripes
Campaign Gripes
 Titan.Lillica
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Lillica
By Titan.Lillica 2010-06-23 06:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

I was always told to never complain about a problem unless you can come up with a way to make it better. So here's my wah wah wah's about campaign.

I'm sure you've all noticed that the number of people doing campaign has tripled, or thereabouts. This has led to a lot of people hauling mobs all over heck-town, leaving the rest of us chasing down beastmasters and rangers just to find where they are hiding out. This has always happened but when I was in a battle where a group of 2-3 PLDs and 2-3 RDMs were holding 10 mobs near King Ranpies Tomb in East Ronfy for about 15 minutes before a BST found them, well that's just silly. People trying to be fair and fight near the Forts are waiting for mobs that never show, or losing out on exp when after 30-40 minutes of some A-hole soloing they DC and lose it. I understand some of the reasons why people do it though. NPCs basically steal exp from us when they swarm mobs near the forts. So here are some of the ideas I have to make campaign a little better.

More mobs, fewer NPCs. This will help with the whole losing exp to NPCs problem, and maybe stop people from running away with mobs to some extent. More mobs per wave, maybe give them more HP so they take longer to kill? Pretty standard supply and demand concept here.

Little more drastic here, and more complicated to boot. Implement a "battle area" for campaign battles. A certain range around the fortifications that mobs need to enter before they can be engaged. Mobs engaged outside this area should take 0 damage, and gain no enmity, and no experience for acting upon mobs outside the "battle area" should be awarded. Once a player engages a mob within the "battle area" they must remain within range to continue performing actions that yield experience. If a player strays too far from the "battle area", a system message warning the player to return within range will be displayed. Should the player not return to the battle area within a set amount of time the mob will lose hate and disengage the player, the player will forfeit their Allied Tags, Union status, and any experience that would have been earned had they stayed within range.

I think that these ideas are pretty fair and wouldn't be too difficult to implement, and would make things a lot better for everyone while taking Campaign back in the direction I think was intended, open battles that encourage teamwork instead of hoarding mobs and causing others to miss out. I have sent this same information to SE via the playonline site suggestions and feedback link, and wanted to post it on here to get some input from other players and see if maybe you guys have some ideas on how to make things better.

Thanks for your time for those who read this and for your input to those who choose to respond.
[+]
 Fenrir.Fearforever
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Fearforever 2010-06-23 07:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

All of it sounds good, What i'd like to see most is more HP for Campaign mobs and more mobs per wave (at least 50% more) and the area around the fort idea would be great to stop ppl running off with the mobs.
 Leviathan.Raistlins
Server: Leviathan
user: djnavy
By Leviathan.Raistlins 2010-06-23 07:23:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Would be a good idea to put something in place to prevent ppl to pull the mods away. Like something that prevents ppl to leave a predetermine area around the fort right after receiving the tag for campaign from the NPC.
 Bismarck.Bloodbeat
Server: Bismarck
user: bloodbeat
By Bismarck.Bloodbeat 2010-06-23 07:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

"You have wandered too far from the fortification and your Allied Tags became invalid"

simple solution :D
[+]
 Leviathan.Raistlins
user: djnavy
By Leviathan.Raistlins 2010-06-23 07:52:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbeat said:
"You have wandered too far from the fortification and your Allied Tags became invalid"

That would work, i really like that idea... like you said simple solution :)
[+]
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-23 07:57:13
Link | Quote | Reply

It'd definitely work. I'd quit Campaign.
[+]
By Helix 2010-06-23 08:11:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Well believe it or not, all those exact things were already suggested to SE on the ffxiclopedia forum a couple months ago in the "suggestions for Square Enix" board. (literally, more mobs, more hp for mobs and the tag range to stop the soloers).

We can only hope they listend and are in process of implementing in one of the next 2 updates
 Bismarck.Bloodbeat
user: bloodbeat
By Bismarck.Bloodbeat 2010-06-23 08:28:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Unicorn.Ninetales said:

By monopolising mobs, you're enforcing the equivalent of 'quitting campaign' on the people who wait at the fort.
Being totally honest, the only thing that propagates your advantage of wandering out that far is that other players don't have the inclination to do the same.
[+]
 Bismarck.Awezomeos
user: Awezomeos
By Bismarck.Awezomeos 2010-06-23 08:48:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Only problem for me is the NPCs that tear throu any mob .so get rid of them.
And the ammount of battles that happen.
 Leviathan.Willoflame
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-06-23 08:55:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Awezomeos said:
Only problem for me is the NPCs that tear throu any mob .so get rid of them.
And the ammount of battles that happen.

This is very true, I always pull my mobs just a little out of reach of the NPC's for that reason. They can still cure me but can't engage because it's too far for them :P.
Bismarck.Bloodbeat said:

As long as the battle area isn't too large, but isn't too small, I'm fine with that.
 Phoenix.Missnasty
Server: Phoenix
user: Missnasty
By Phoenix.Missnasty 2010-06-23 08:55:53
Link | Quote | Reply

The influx of people doing campaign at the moment is temporary so drastic changes that will make it harder when the number of people doing it dies down is silly.

The best solution would be a campaign battle radius or something around the fort.
 Unicorn.Ninetales
Server: Unicorn
user: Azulmagia
By Unicorn.Ninetales 2010-06-23 08:58:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Bloodbeat said:
Unicorn.Ninetales said:

By monopolising mobs, you're enforcing the equivalent of 'quitting campaign' on the people who wait at the fort.
Being totally honest, the only thing that propagates your advantage of wandering out that far is that other players don't have the inclination to do the same.

I was honest earlier.
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-23 09:04:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Just did a campaign in Beaucedine with like 100 JPs and Shadowhand lasted maybe 2 minutes tops. SE needs to up the amount of campaign mobs if it's ever gonna be worthwhile again.
By Helix 2010-06-23 09:14:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Noticed the same thing the night of the update, search showed 147 ppl in Beaucidine [s} and Shadowfang, I swear, lasted less than a minute.

"Black Sabbath- The Mob rules"
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2010-06-23 09:22:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Just had a CB in Karugo Narugo, there were 85 players in the zone and many of those kept R0ing due to the lag. Nearly all the mobs had been stopped outside of the Phosphorous Ward and only the NM and a couple of normal mobs reached the fort... the NM only made it because he and his elementals aggroed me and I ran to the NPCs for curing. lol