Forum » FFXI » General » Password Priority
Password Priority
 Midgardsormr.Sammitch
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Sammitch
By Midgardsormr.Sammitch 2009-01-01 15:37:47
Link | Quote | Reply

I just realized that when it comes to passwords I'm more paranoid about my POL info than my online banking info.

POL
- uppercase/lowercase, numbers, loooong, special character [even though it broke POL, long story]
- only use onscreen keyboard to enter due to keyloggers

Bank
- lowercase, special character, as short as possible
- keyboard for everything, account number saved into browser

Has anyone else realized their priorities seem to be a bit skewed towards FFXI?
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-01-01 16:18:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sammitch said:

- only use onscreen keyboard to enter due to keyloggers

=> Worthless anyway since the SE keyboard keys positioning ain't random, so any keyloggers that haven't been made in the 90's would be able to record your mouse clicks coordinates (X,Y), and I'm talking about relative coordinates of the active PoL window, meaning wherever you place it, keylogger will be able to record where did you click.

As for bank security, mine require the use of a special PIN that can only be typed with a virtual keyboard, randomizing keys every time you refresh the page, which is the only way to have something *a bit* secure. (it uses a 5x5 grid, placing digits from 0 to 9 randomly there).

If FF XI security > bank security, your bank just sux :x

As for the initial question I think that if some people care more about their FF XI account than their bank account that's certainly because they're insured and law protect them, whereas SE usually don't care. I dunno where you live but here (France) customers are protected/insured against online banking fraud, meaning even if someone hack my bank account and empty it (enjoy your $3 :]), I'll be refunded. Not pleasant cause it require lot of paperworks and stuff to get your money back but still. However getting your FF XI account/char back without any damage is really rare.
 Remora.Devek
Server: Remora
user: devek
By Remora.Devek 2009-01-01 18:36:46
Link | Quote | Reply

That, and last time I checked your ffxi password was stored in plain text in memory the entire time you play.

My friend forgot his password, but had it saved, so I wrote a quick little program to recover it for him from memory.

Maybe they fixed it the last two years, but I doubt it.

It doesn't matter anyway. If I have my software running on your computer it is mine, there is no way to prevent me from not logging your password. The only way to be safe is to not get viruses(use a computer dedicated for final fantasy which never browses the web or uses any third party programs) or for SE to give us one time passwords.
 Ramuh.Jackel
Server: Ramuh
user: Jackel
By Ramuh.Jackel 2009-01-01 20:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Devek said:
That, and last time I checked your ffxi password was stored in plain text in memory the entire time you play.

My friend forgot his password, but had it saved, so I wrote a quick little program to recover it for him from memory.

Maybe they fixed it the last two years, but I doubt it.

It doesn't matter anyway. If I have my software running on your computer it is mine, there is no way to prevent me from not logging your password. The only way to be safe is to not get viruses(use a computer dedicated for final fantasy which never browses the web or uses any third party programs) or for SE to give us one time passwords.

This is assuming everyone uses a PC for FFXI.

And it does not really matter in the end. If someone has your POL ID, simply spamming the WRONG Password will lock you out of your own account. The same thing with banks.

People are jerks, they will always find a way around the measures put in place to stop them.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2009-01-01 20:39:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Don't draw any to your acc. Best thing to have as security!

I took Law(less) & Security (Stupidity) in Community College in Canada.. Believe me.. the law is so stupid, a average Monkey can break the law by either using a Banana as a lock pick or hold up a bank!