DRK June Update.

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » DRK june update.
DRK june update.
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Hades.Kylos
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Kylos
By Hades.Kylos 2010-06-18 14:58:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea i get the points totally :P im just a drk who likes to use my magic when i can, its part of the job so why not ^^
 Fenrir.Skarwind
Server: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-06-18 18:05:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Kylos said:
Yea i get the points totally :P im just a drk who likes to use my magic when i can, its part of the job so why not ^^

Defender and being able to equip a shield is part of Warrior. Should I do it?

Nope :(
 Asura.Projekt
Server: Asura
user: Projekt
By Asura.Projekt 2010-06-18 18:27:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Kvazz said:
This will depend highly on how much tp we get from casting spells tbh.
If we can toss a 500 dmg tier3 nuke and still get our tp like a normal hit, that would be pretty sweet.
Ok, say you have a 6 hit build, getting ~18tp per swing, and say you're in a good party for whatever and are getting Haste/Marches.

Casting time for Water3 is 5.3sec(might of messed up fast cast here) with Homam legs and Loq.Earring equipped.

Assuming you have 19% Gear haste(Homam, Swift, Turban, Blitz, easy stuff), Haste(15%) cast on you, and 1 March(~10%) and Hasso(10%) up, altogether for ~54% Haste in total. With a 528 Delay weapon that's 4.75sec(after 54% Haste) in between attack rounds.

Why would you waste your time casting a tier3 nuke for the same amount of TP you'd be getting slower?

I agree though, we don't know what type of TP return we'll be getting but using your example, it wouldn't make sense to cast, even with 1 March.
 Cerberus.Excelior
Server: Cerberus
user: Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-18 18:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Already did the math for them. People don't like numbers it confuses them. Lets just look at the sparkly pictures.
 Hades.Kylos
Server: Hades
user: Kylos
By Hades.Kylos 2010-06-19 07:01:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Skarwind, my father is a WAR, and he does use shield on war/dnc in campaign, and he can use Defender, they would be mostly for a WAR looking to solo or tank a NM, its pretty much situational.

Its pretty obvious when your supposed to be DDing, your going to have your Great axe in there, or Polearm on birds, just because Defender and Shield is not something you use every day does not make them completely useless, they can be used for certain situations if its needed.

Same for DRKs magic, if your lacking in Mage power, and you only have a few people killing a NM, and it becomes Invincible, DRKs could use their dark magic and elemental magic to keep adding damage to it.

Its pretty obvious that these are situational, and Tier 3 nukes will never replace the melee damage of a DRK, as thats the jobs primary way of doing damage, if they ever made it so elemental damage did take off more then melee, you might as well just delete DRK as a job and call it BLM...

Anyways you guys taking this way too literally, its just a game, have fun with your job, i know i will!
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-06-19 08:26:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Projekt said:
Ok, say you have a 6 hit build, getting ~18tp per swing, and say you're in a good party for whatever and are getting Haste/Marches.

Casting time for Water3 is 5.3sec(might of messed up fast cast here) with Homam legs and Loq.Earring equipped.

Assuming you have 19% Gear haste(Homam, Swift, Turban, Blitz, easy stuff), Haste(15%) cast on you, and 1 March(~10%) and Hasso(10%) up, altogether for ~54% Haste in total. With a 528 Delay weapon that's 4.75sec(after 54% Haste) in between attack rounds.

Why would you waste your time casting a tier3 nuke for the same amount of TP you'd be getting slower?

I agree though, we don't know what type of TP return we'll be getting but using your example, it wouldn't make sense to cast, even with 1 March.

Yeah I know, but atleast it would'nt be totally wasted :P
Tier3 spells is actually worth doing magic bursts with aswell, if you know a SC is coming up.
I'm not saying DRK should nuke alot, as usually my mp run out even without nukes after awhile anyways, dread spikes and abs-tp manage to empty even my 600+mp-pool over time, and idk if nukes would be worth it in normal situations anyways. >_<
 Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Tomasello
By Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello 2010-06-19 18:42:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Wondering if I should get rid of my 1 Dark Seal merit now that we're getting Nether Void.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-19 18:53:00
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Seal for less resist and Nether Void for increased absorption?
By Stnick 2010-06-19 19:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Already did the math for them. People don't like numbers it confuses them. Lets just look at the sparkly pictures.

E body.
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-19 19:30:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Quetzalcoatl.Tomasello said:
Wondering if I should get rid of my 1 Dark Seal merit now that we're getting Nether Void.

Well the only reason to even have it merited to begin with is to use a drain II right before a zerg for a 200 HP boost. Unless zerging becomes obsolete I don't see that ability affecting this.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-06-20 06:12:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Im probrably late on this but casting any spell in a situation where you are properly buffed With Haste and 2x March is a waste of time and going to kill your DPS, ESPECIALLY during Last Resort which you should have 5/5 Desperate blows (You dont stop swinging :P) if you care about your Drk. Absorb TP is honestly the only exception and thats only if you get a good return, you can still get 0's if you cast with bad timing and thats going to *** up your DPS yet again.

I'm pretty sure it was discussed on BG that spamming absorb spells(STR DEX VIT Etc.) is a complete waste of time and only hurting your overall damage output.

But who knows maybe we'll get a decent TP return from spamming bio and drain over and over~ T3 nukes? Waste of time Stick to melee.

Also Skar is right Shield/Axe in Campaign? Thats lol, should be using Rose Strap with a GA for a 6-hit build, youll build TP way faster than a single handed axe and shield to keep yourself alive with Waltzes. WAR doesnt have shield mastery so dont even try to argue TP bonus from shield blocks. WARs shield skill is Mediocre at best only C+ rating and thats a joke...

Just my thoughts~
 Phoenix.Gerrott
Server: Phoenix
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2010-06-20 07:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Cerberus.Excelior said:
Well the only reason to even have it merited to begin with is to use a drain II right before a zerg for a 200 HP boost. Unless zerging becomes obsolete I don't see that ability affecting this.

Why only 200? Is that with full HP gear on so you wont have to be topped off?

My usual is 385~ on most enemies, though that is with a full Dark Skill / Magic Accuracy build and not HP gear.

Anyways, I do agree, Dark Seal will still have its purpose, and we don't know if they will override eachother yet do we?
 Cerberus.Excelior
By Cerberus.Excelior 2010-06-20 09:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Gerrott said:
Cerberus.Excelior said:
Why only 200? Is that with full HP gear on so you wont have to be topped off? My usual is 385~ on most enemies, though that is with a full Dark Skill / Magic Accuracy build and not HP gear. Anyways, I do agree, Dark Seal will still have its purpose, and we don't know if they will override eachother yet do we?

Was just an aproximation. I didn't know the exact value for how much my drain II lands for on zergs. That sounds about right though.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-06-20 16:29:06
Link | Quote | Reply

What are you casting on and getting 385 Returns from a Zerg? Even with Dark Seal ive always had Shadow Lord and Bahamut V2 resist the hell out of the spell and never get a decent return, KV yea ive gotten some nice returns but the other two... nope. X; I gave up even bothering casting Drain II on Bahamut V2 because Drks that were not using it were winning the parses when I have better zerg gear. I have 8/8 Dark magic merits and a pretty damn good Dark Magic build, please tell me what im doing wrong ~_~
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-20 16:34:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Gradd said:
What are you casting on and getting 385 Returns from a Zerg? Even with Dark Seal ive always had Shadow Lord and Bahamut V2 resist the hell out of the spell and never get a decent return, KV yea ive gotten some nice returns but the other two... nope. X; I gave up even bothering casting Drain II on Bahamut V2 because Drks that were not using it were winning the parses when I have better zerg gear. I have 8/8 Dark magic merits and a pretty damn good Dark Magic build, please tell me what im doing wrong ~_~

Shadow Lord probably is just very resistant to dark element, for obvious reasons.

Bahamut, I've never had a Dark Seal Resist if his stoneskin was taken out, which isn't even a resist, just absorbing from the stoneskin.

lolELV 350 is probaly an average unresisted drain II.

And about the point that spamming Absorb spells is pointless. That's sadly the case indeed. As I said earlier, the only use you would have for the Absorb Spells is to lower fSTR or dINT on high-level (Non Zerged) enemies to support your allies, but Absrob-STAT accuracy is so horrible, it's not worth bothering, though I will say Absorb-INT on KRabkatoa and Blobdingnag is awesome. (Combined with Burn to lower the NM's INT to about that of the average ELV WAR.)
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-06-20 16:37:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Not sure if it was mentioned before but that whole attack round speed calculation assumes alot. Like constant fighting. Or the fact the nuke will do more dmg then your melee hit. Or it works with drain II which will be faster and up your souleater dmg etc etc.
 Phoenix.Gerrott
Server: Phoenix
user: Gerrott
By Phoenix.Gerrott 2010-06-20 17:14:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I am in no means a career Dark Knight, I mean I have almost all the gear for it, Adaberk and other fun stuff, but its like my 4th string job and I don't use it for everything. Hell if I use it outside of Dynamis, its a pretty big shock.

I have never used it on Bv2, and at the moment don't even own a zerg weapon, just full-timing the 105 DMG Scythe for the most part. If you mean the Shadow Lord in Fiat Lux (Didn't know that was a Zerg) I dunno, but if you mean Dynamis Lord, I generally break over 300 fairly easy, even reaching upwards of 350, but yes he can resist from time to time, even with seal if unlucky. I was mainly referring to the Dynamis-Qufim Gigas, Dynamis Lord, CC in Dynamis-Valkurm and other similar targets.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2010-06-21 00:46:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea I meant Dynamis Lord dunno I just get resisted all the time gets annoying ~_~
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2010-06-21 01:12:16
Link | Quote | Reply

hmmm this gives me a idea sekkanoki catastrophy x2 darkness T3 nuke MB