The Rumor Mill: FFXIV Delayed Till 2011?!

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXIV » News » The Rumor Mill: FFXIV Delayed till 2011?!
The Rumor Mill: FFXIV Delayed till 2011?!
First Page 2 3 4 5
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-06-06 19:37:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I liked Fallout 3, and I was a huge fan of 1 and 2.

Good game.

It was to much hype for something that didn't live up to expectations, I literally waited every year on the edge of my pants for the release year of Fallout 3, and purchased the game the second it was availible (pre-order) Being a PS3, and PC owner, I also suffered to the whole "No DLC for a year for yoo" That PS3 got, so I ended up torrenting most of my DLC from friends.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-06 19:38:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
I was quite interested in Wow when I took a break from FFXI, I played it and realised every quest at the beginning was "Kill X <monter> and earn Y <reward>"

After I did about 5-6 of these I got incredibly bored and realised that it felt like Runescape with a monthly fee. Then I heard the new Death knight or w/e it's called, and the fact that it starts at level 50 or some ***, and the justification given was "It would be overpowered at level 1"

wat.

When I got hacked I played some Cabal and that's exactly the same. Played some Rappelz when I took a break which was also exactly the same and it got really boring. The Magian quests remind me of it :/
 Shiva.Flionheart
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-06 19:39:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Shiva.Flionheart said:
I was quite interested in Wow when I took a break from FFXI, I played it and realised every quest at the beginning was "Kill X <monter> and earn Y <reward>"

After I did about 5-6 of these I got incredibly bored and realised that it felt like Runescape with a monthly fee. Then I heard the new Death knight or w/e it's called, and the fact that it starts at level 50 or some ***, and the justification given was "It would be overpowered at level 1"

wat.

When I got hacked I played some Cabal and that's exactly the same. Played some Rappelz when I took a break which was also exactly the same and it got really boring. The Magian quests remind me of it :/

Atlantica online was the same for the last bits too >.> Really fun game until that point, but once I hit about level 50 it was just
"Kill X deer"

"Kill X fire demons" etc etc.
By Zekko 2010-06-06 19:40:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:

wat.

I agree i wouldnt level another character again unless i boosted it, because leveling is so *** boring.

Bismarck.Dracondria said:
Personally, I won't say WoW is bad but I enjoy PVE-only type MMOs because when you have PVP it becomes all about who's the best in PVP and not what you can accomplish as a group since the PVE content is usually pretty easy in general. FFXI is more difficult in general (higher learning curve and more difficult boss fights) but of course isn't that hard to learn if you have half a brain and can do some research. They're two entirely different games aimed at different people, have entirely different battle systems and WoW is more solo friendly for people with less time. There's no point in comparing them and they both have strong and weak points.

Weird i find WoW harder to play than FF. But i did play FF for 5 years i only started WoW last year.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-06-06 19:41:02
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a fun distraction though, being able to solo pretty much everything and just doing your own thing for a while without needing 6+ people just to get decent exp.
 Ramuh.Haseyo
Server: Ramuh
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-06 19:41:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I lol'd at how you get to go from deer to fire demons.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-06 19:43:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Atlantica online had one of the best battle systems i've seen though, so fun:

You can party up with 3 other people too, and make your own party of 9 characters (one being your main who is the most powerful)

iirc my setup was:

Axe|sword|Beastmaster
Archer|Bard(me)|Gunner
Bishop|BLM|WHM
 Diabolos.Otahar
Server: Diabolos
user: Takustar
By Diabolos.Otahar 2010-06-06 19:53:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Hype ruins games in a way. You think it will be the best game ever and perfect in every way. Til you play it... I hyped myself up for Fable 2 and now I hate that game. Played it for 2 hrs and traded it in.

Since then I try not to follow a games progress

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Cerberus.Ryle
Server: Cerberus
user: Ryle
By Cerberus.Ryle 2010-06-06 20:32:15
Link | Quote | Reply

I'll believe it when Wada say's so.
 Leviathan.Remoraforever
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Remoraforever 2010-06-06 20:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Otahar said:
Hype ruins games in a way. You think it will be the best game ever and perfect in every way. Til you play it... I hyped myself up for Fable 2 and now I hate that game. Played it for 2 hrs and traded it in.

Since then I try not to follow a games progress

Yeah, basically the same thing for me and Fo3
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
Server: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2010-06-06 20:42:07
Link | Quote | Reply

o hell yes longer 14 takes the better
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-06-06 20:42:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Ryanx said:
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-06 20:57:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Pandemonium.Kajidourden said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
This is my shocked face: -_-

(Pretty sure I called this one way back when we found out the "beta signups" were actually "pre-alpha signups.")

As far as WoW is concerned, I agree that saying WoW is "good" on a FF11 forum is pretty troll-ish. Then again, I also feel FF11 players thinking they can dismiss the game and/or its effect on the market, because they happen to not like it, is short-sighted and self-centered.

You better believe every designer and executive at Square is studying WoW extensively in an effort to duplicate its success. Everything about WoW is ruthlessly calculated to be successful -- even the goofy art direction, which is done intentionally because it sets the playable hardware requirements low enough to appeal to the mass market.

QFT.

I think far too often people get on the "Hate WoW" bandwagon just because so many others are on it. While the game is extremely well designed (notice i said designed, not executed) I think I speak for most people when I say it's the hand-holding gameplay that keeps everyone away from it. Hopefully this is the distinction most people are making, because from a design standpoint it's exceptional.

I absolutely disagree, it's poorly designed and executed, simply because it relies far too much on that PvP aspect of the game. It really is a crutch for lack of talent/idea. Build a zone, and have players kill eachother, because you, as a designer, have failed to design challenges worthy of your players. Pretty simple. And that's even before you consider the gross balancing failures present in the game. You think Noob Tube is bad? Fight a Warlock in World of Warcraft.

And again, don't anyone argue anything about the PvE, unless you play on a lolRP server, you play World of Warcraft FOR the PvP.

Just a little opinionated pet peve about WoW as well, seriously, how many *** races do you need? There's like a dozen varieties of Elf alone.
[+]
 Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-06 21:05:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Flionheart said:
Lakshmi.Ryanx said:

Couldn't agree more.
 Fairy.Spence
Server: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-06 21:16:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
I absolutely disagree, it's poorly designed and executed, simply because it relies far too much on that PvP aspect of the game. It really is a crutch for lack of talent/idea. Build a zone, and have players kill eachother, because you, as a designer, have failed to design challenges worthy of your players. Pretty simple. And that's even before you consider the gross balancing failures present in the game. You think Noob Tube is bad? Fight a Warlock in World of Warcraft.

And again, don't anyone argue anything about the PvE, unless you play on a lolRP server, you play World of Warcraft FOR the PvP.

Just a little opinionated pet peve about WoW as well, seriously, how many *** races do you need? There's like a dozen varieties of Elf alone.

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
You better believe every designer and executive at Square is studying WoW extensively in an effort to duplicate its success.

It's all about the bottom line. Do you really think they care what some nerd thinks about their game? Even if it were true? They're out to make money. Arguing over which game is designed/implemented/maintained/whatever-the-*** better is a moot point.

Edit - This wasn't directed at Jaerik, I wanted to emphasize his point.
 Fairy.Specopsz
user: Specopsz
By Fairy.Specopsz 2010-06-06 22:04:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Makes sense really to me.
The level cap, expansions etc.
Gives people time to play FFXI a little while longer, which is a year in our case, may be 6 to 7 months for Japan.
But I'm sure most people agree, or closely somewhat.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-06 22:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
You better believe every designer and executive at Square is studying WoW extensively in an effort to duplicate its success.

It's all about the bottom line. Do you really think they care what some nerd thinks about their game? Even if it were true? They're out to make money. Arguing over which game is designed/implemented/maintained/whatever-the-*** better is a moot point.

Edit - This wasn't directed at Jaerik, I wanted to emphasize his point.

That's a common misconception. Find me one quote from a talented Designer that states "Profit is our primary goal in creating games." Or something to that extent.

Driving for profit is more of an obligation to those you work with (Including your investors) than the true objective. To make great games, it has to come down mutual trust in the concept, the design and finally the execution.

If the bottom line was the most important goal, we would have no PC,PS3 or Xbox360 games, because the Wii has the biggest potential market.

Todd Howard at Bethesda said it better than I could ever have.

"We make the game we want, and pray to the Nine that people like it as much as we do."

That was a response to the unexpected console success of TESIII: Morrowind, when asked "How do you go about designing your games"
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-06 22:12:37
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I'm wrong about the gaming industry, but I don't think so. It's a business after all, and a business's primary purpose is always to generate profit. Everything else comes second.

Ramuh.Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-06-06 22:23:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Without profit, a business cannot make better things without having to toss out more cash, forcing them to play catchup.

I'd aim for profit first. Just sayin'
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-06 22:24:51
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:
Maybe I'm wrong about the gaming industry, but I don't think so. It's a business after all, and a business's primary purpose is always to generate profit. Everything else comes second.

While that's true to an extent, the designers themselves probably don't feel that corporate pressure when designing a game. I doubt those with the fiscal resources to finance making a game get that involved with the process, or hell, even know that much about games in general. While that's certainly not a %100 certainty, it seems likely.

As long as the game makes a profit, by whatever means that may be, it will appease those concerned with the gross sales. My guess would be the subject matter experts (the game designers) are pretty much left to their own devices as far as that's concerned.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-06 22:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:

As much as it pains me to admit, you'll probably be absolutely correct inside of 5 years. Gaming has slid downhill from easily definable art, to about as artistic as a day at the NYSE.

But it's important right now to draw a line, the "Business" Part of gaming is really the publisher's domain. However, with game's costing so much to make now, substantial financial backing is required, and the investors demand their adequate remuneration.

The majority of actual game DEVELOPERS absolutely hate how it's is indeed turning into that profit-driven business model. But it's not quite there yet, when that day happens, we will never see Ico's, Fallouts, Borderlands, Bioshocks, Half-Life's or any other real displays of artistic talent, because a stupid *** cooking game sells better. (Cooking Mama ftw AMIRITE?!)
 Pandemonium.Kajidourden
Server: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Kajidourden 2010-06-06 22:27:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
This is my shocked face: -_-

(Pretty sure I called this one way back when we found out the "beta signups" were actually "pre-alpha signups.")

As far as WoW is concerned, I agree that saying WoW is "good" on a FF11 forum is pretty troll-ish. Then again, I also feel FF11 players thinking they can dismiss the game and/or its effect on the market, because they happen to not like it, is short-sighted and self-centered.

You better believe every designer and executive at Square is studying WoW extensively in an effort to duplicate its success. Everything about WoW is ruthlessly calculated to be successful -- even the goofy art direction, which is done intentionally because it sets the playable hardware requirements low enough to appeal to the mass market.

QFT.

I think far too often people get on the "Hate WoW" bandwagon just because so many others are on it. While the game is extremely well designed (notice i said designed, not executed) I think I speak for most people when I say it's the hand-holding gameplay that keeps everyone away from it. Hopefully this is the distinction most people are making, because from a design standpoint it's exceptional.

Well, I meant in the most basic ways (HUD, animations, etc). What you're referring to is gameplay mechanics, which is kind of where I was trying to go with that. In any case, you're totally right about those weaknesses in it's core.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-06-06 22:32:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Fairy.Spence said:

While that's true to an extent, the designers themselves probably don't feel that corporate pressure when designing a game. I doubt those with the fiscal resources to finance making a game get that involved with the process, or hell, even know that much about games in general. While that's certainly not a 0 certainty, it seems likely.

As long as the game makes a profit, by whatever means that may be, it will appease those concerned with the gross sales. My guess would be the subject matter experts (the game designers) are pretty much left to their own devices as far as that's concerned.

Sometimes they do, Publishers are divided into two categories, "Hands on" (Activision-Blizzard) and "Hands off" (Zenimax, EA for a few Studios).

With "Hands on" Publishers, you get things like "Motorcycles are in, can we put a motorcycle level in this game?! DO IT NOW FAGGIT!".

"Hands off" are just that, they trust their studios enough to make the right call, and usually this is only awarded after a studio has proven itself (Bioware with EA for example, didn't need to show the Mass Effect design would sell well, as it already had)

You have to feel a little sympathetic for the Publishers after the Duke Nukem fiasco. 3drealms made it a lot harder for new developers with great new ideas to finally poke out of the muck, because everything comes back to "Well ***, you're just gonna funnel all our investment into an off-shore account in Taiwan."

At the end of the day, gaming is a victim of it's own success. I don't think I can put it any better than that.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-06-06 22:34:44
Link | Quote | Reply

I actually played WoW so I'm not simply joining the hate bandwagon. I think the whole design is ugly and too cartoonish, and the towns (if you can even call them that) were pathetic. I also seriously hate the whole 'Only X race can play as X class' rule.

I think the hand holding and how everything is too easy is what appears to people and the 'casual gamer' fad.
 Fairy.Spence
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-06 22:42:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Well said, Zicdeh.

Kaji, I imagine developers are given a certain amount of 'free reign', but I think they'd take into consideration what people will like, or in other words, what will sell.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-06-07 03:52:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Whether they're out to make money or out to make a great game is two sides of the same coin really. You make money by making a great game, so you can't really have one without the other. The obvious exception to the rule is the "cash-in games", which are blatantly made after popular movies/tv or other popular games (WoW clones).

Don't forget how the FF franchise started. The company was going bust after making dud game after dud game because they were aiming for profit, trying to make the game they thought would sell the best. When that didn't work, they said "*** it" and spent all the money they had left making a game that THEY thought would be good, and that THEY would want to play.
[+]
 Valefor.Vasante
Server: Valefor
user: Shadro
By Valefor.Vasante 2010-06-07 05:25:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Not surprised really. Rushed games suck major balls.
By Marrs 2010-06-29 03:40:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Bassclef said:
Lol, if it were to pushed back to 2012... Man, I'm not sure if that would be hilarious or sad.

It'd be both, like a Thomas Lux writing.
 Diabolos.Gira
Server: Diabolos
user: Cameryn
By Diabolos.Gira 2010-06-29 03:46:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kimiko said:
Ruh roh folks, some news off the old rumor mill, and not all of it is good. Cording to various sources, various issues with the alpha test may hold Final Fantasy XIV back to a 2011 release...

Check out the full post over at http://www.ffxivblog.com/the-rumor-mill-ffxiv-delayed-to-2011/

Meh *** 14 anyway. They should just be adding more to 11. We don't need a cookie cutter copy of the game using the same races with just some updated graphics and an excuse to make players start over waste more time online.

I'm not playing 14, and if they shut off the 11 servers I'll just play Starcraft II. I might stop playing 11 as soon as SC II comes out anyway, been waiting forever for that game.