2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Breeding chocobo for Hot and Cold game
Breeding chocobo for Hot and Cold game
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-22 12:11:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I want to raise a chocobo for Hot and Cold. I realize Treasure Finder is a prime ability for this, but what else would you recommend? Would high endurance be helpful so it doesn't fatigue quickly? Canter for more endurance? Would the auto regen ability help?

I'm currently raising a chocobo on a complete STR/END path. It's day 30; would switching over to basic care to slowly raise discernment be a good idea so I can teach it one of the above abilities? Or would it make more sense to just max out STR/END and then work on discernment exclusively with a second chocobo to breed together?
 Alexander.Neph
Server: Alexander
user: Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-22 12:22:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I just use my max dis/rec chicken for chocobo digging. Has both Treasure Finder and either burrow or bore (can never remember which one) traits.

I wouldn't worry about STR at all, since you won't be needing speed to run around, and the bird's traits are what affect your number of digs not END so don't worry about that either.

I am having a hard time raising a chocobo for racing though, since I want maxed STR and END, but also some decent REC and DIS. Trying to teach the mother some racing traits first and hoping they carry on to the chick.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-22 13:07:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Are you sure END doesn't keep the bird from fatiguing? I want a bird that can have the most amount of digs in the Hot and Cold game before fatiguing.

Neph said:
the bird's traits are what affect your number of digs not END so don't worry about that either.

If END is not a trait, then I don't understand what chocobo traits are then. I've read the wiki. Can anybody shed some light on this?
 Bismarck.Patrik
Server: Bismarck
user: Patrik
By Bismarck.Patrik 2008-12-22 13:16:58
Link | Quote | Reply

i can tell you that END has nothing to do with it. END is for how long your chocobo can stay out when you call it with whistle, the number of times a chocobo can dig in hot and cold is a fixed number depending on what area you are in (i.e. dunes is less than jugner)
 Alexander.Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-22 13:22:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry, I call STR END REC and DIS stats. All the abilities (would be the more appropriate word I guess) is what you teach your chocobo. I just call them traits cause they're passive like job traits.

edit: You CAN get a bit more digs regardless of what area you're in, if you have the burrow trait.
linkage
 Leviathan.Thanopstru
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Thanopstru 2008-12-22 16:05:49
Link | Quote | Reply

The only solution i found for raising different stats was this:

I raised my chocobo until day 29 on the STR/END path so that i'd get the mutations, then after that i raised disc/rec exclusively in order to get the traits I wanted - Canter and Gallop (i wanted a speedy choco, lol). Once I finally learned the stories (around day 55), I re-raised my str/end for a level - which ended up lowering my disc/rec down a level, unfortunately. After that I raced my (now fast) chocobo for chocobucks and used the bucks to raise my str/end up all the way to max, which allowed me to leave my disc/rec levels at the same level. So now I have a chocobo with Canter, Gallop, First-Class str/end, better than average disc, and average rec.

I would say that receptivity and discernment are the most important attributes (i.e. stats) to raise for a digging chocobo. Strength and Endurance are for racing pretty much, speed and how long it can last at that speed (or how long it can last when you call it with your whistle, as Patrik said). Traits are learned from telling the chocobo stories, there's pages on the wiki to tell you how high your attributes need to be in order to learn the traits - I would guess that you want either Bore, Burrow, or Treasure Finder - since you can only have two traits and you want to use it for Hot and Cold, I would say Treasure Finder and Burrow. Bore is more for standard chocobo digging, like w/ gysahl greens and such, I don't think it effects the Hot and Cold game.

sorry ...i just wrote like a lot of stuff, lol. Spending over 100 days thinking about chocobo raising kind of embeds it in ur head.
 Alexander.Neph
By Alexander.Neph 2008-12-22 21:30:13
Link | Quote | Reply

That's great stats for a racing chocobo. :O
Have you put it through the Pashow Swamptrot?
 Leviathan.Thanopstru
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Thanopstru 2008-12-23 13:27:53
Link | Quote | Reply

yeah I did it when it first came out - omg the 3rd race killed me, was so annoying - it took I think like 4 tries before I finally won. The really annoying part was I had to keep going back to earn the chocobucks in order to even participate in the races, lol. But all the other races I won first try - I had to mess around w/ the saddle, racing strat, and food in order to get it working - if I remembered the final winning combination after all those tries, I'd share it...but I don't, lol.

But now I have a cool pullus torque!
User submitted image