Forum » FFXI » General » FFXI less virtual
FFXI less virtual
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
Server: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2008-12-18 09:45:35
Link | Quote | Reply

»ppl trying to sell rng neck as a PCC hoping you trade without checking the PCC looking neck...

»ppl leading LS that let you get all the trash then drop you if you win things like osode or haidate (just to talk about something simple like sky)

»GS but mainly Gil buyers everywhere... they go as far as to spam tells to everyone...

»ppl overcamping other ppl just cause they are too dumb to look for other options... ruining xp for both

»ppl from one country not wanting to play with ppl from any other country

»ppl xp leeching other ppl with way to long AFKs, with no reason but wanting free xp

FFXI sounds to much like real life.

Do you guys think ppl like the game or do they like to say they have X jobs & Y gear???
 Carbuncle.Xenobriatix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Xenobriatix 2008-12-18 10:04:03
Link | Quote | Reply

You can't forget that a minuscule fraction of FFXI players actually have lives. Perhaps the ones who afk for too long are getting laid? No, what could I be thinking. They're just the ones who suck at life so badly, that their sucking even spreads in to a game. =P
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2008-12-18 10:06:52
Link | Quote | Reply

the ones that are getting laid do fake DC ;)
 Carbuncle.Xenobriatix
Server: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Xenobriatix 2008-12-18 10:07:50
Link | Quote | Reply

After which, their g/f fakes an orgasm....
 Diabolos.Sovereign
Server: Diabolos
user: Galactus
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2008-12-18 11:02:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
FFXI sounds to much like real life. Do you guys think ppl like the game or do they like to say they have X jobs & Y gear???

First off... FFXI sounding too much like real life is because it's as close as you'll get to real life from a computer program. While yes, it is just a game... the similarites between the game and real life are too many to list. The most obvious being the game's free market economy and the living player base.

99.9% of the time, the problems you experience in game are with other players, and not with the game program itself. This is a result of natural human interaction. It happens in real life, it happens in the game, because both utilize human interaction.

Sadly, most people who've played this game will tell you that FFXI is more than just a game for them. Many people (like myself) spend more time online than at work, and have created many lasting friendships with real people they've met in game. I've even spoken with people who've found love and even marriage through this game and other MMOs. So trying to tell yourself that this is still just a game... well you cant tell yourself that forever, cause it's simply just not true.

Whether or not that is a good thing or bad... I have yet to determine. Probably cant say 'til many years after I've stopped playing.

As far as people liking the game or just playing for gear... well, I dont think people would want gear for a character in a game they dont even like... so this kinda sounds stupid. Everyone likes the game to some extent, otherwise they wouldnt play it. Though, some people have just been playing so long that quitting would mean losing all the time and money the have invested into the game, so they just keep playing even if they dont really care anymore. After you've reached that point... all that is really left is gear and accomplishments, so it's understandable for players to feel a certain way about that stuff.
 Shiva.Latcarf
Server: Shiva
user: latcarf
By Shiva.Latcarf 2008-12-18 11:16:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
Do you guys think ppl like the game or do they like to say they have X jobs & Y gear???

I think alot of people like to show of their X jobs and Y gear. Many people do that in RL anyway too. I like playing the game - to uh, get away from RL for a while...

Sovereign said:
...the similarites between the game and real life are too many to list. The most obvious being the game's free market economy and the living player base.

I'd totally agree with this if the United States actually had a true free market economy... (^_o)
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-18 11:23:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Since it does offer so many facets of RL, I've always wondered why SEX hasn't entered into the game in some way. You know, like 4 galka blocking that hard to reach monument in North Gustaberg for the "Hearts of Mythril" quest... and unmentionable things occuring inside for a paying audience.

I am not interested in seeing this occur, but since sex is so rampant and profitable in RL culture, why not here too? Would that be the point that we realize it's gone too far?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2008-12-18 11:36:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Disintegration said:
I am not interested in seeing this occur, but since sex is so rampant and profitable in RL culture, why not here too? Would that be the point that we realize it's gone too far?

I'd say probably because it doesnt fit the model to any Final Fantasy title, and would no doubt be stripped of any ESRB rating (or at the very least, labeled AO) and thus basically /blacklisted from ever seeing store shelves.

It's probably also got a lot to do with cultural differences... how sex advertising is really only prevalent in American culture, and definitely not so much in the JP crowd.

You'll notice that FFXI itself is actually very timid in nature. It's actually very wholesome (standard good vs evil storylines, NPCs rarely, if ever, use foul language... etc). The only time you ever see anything "bad" come on the screen is when it's done by a live player.
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2008-12-18 11:47:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
have created many lasting friendships with real people they've met in game

if you tell me you met ppl in-game & got to know them irl, that sounds right. You can have real friends.

But do you really think ppl are, online, the same they are irl? I think many ppl even forget that there are ppl behind the chars.
Server: Remora
By Remora.Disintegration 2008-12-18 11:54:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Well, I meant more originating from the community, not the game or storyline. I'm sure they have some disclaimer that online gameplay cannot be rated since it is dynamic in nature.

Girls in this game generally get tackled with attention and it'd be easy to make the leap for one to become an entrepreneur in this regard somehow. I feel dirty even suggesting it, but it's also comical to me on multiple levels.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-18 11:56:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
the ones that are getting laid do fake DC ;)

Xenobriatix said:

I make it not to mix business with pleasure!
 Gilgamesh.Onepenny
By Gilgamesh.Onepenny 2008-12-18 11:58:38
Link | Quote | Reply

everyone knows this :)

MMORPG = Mainly Man Online Roll Playing Girls
 Diabolos.Sovereign
By Diabolos.Sovereign 2008-12-18 12:04:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
But do you really think ppl are, online, the same they are irl? I think many ppl even forget that there are ppl behind the chars.

I'd agree with this to a certain extent... some people do play a different persona online than they actually are in real life.

Though, it's much tougher to play a different role when your LS uses TeamSpeak or Vent... voice chat tools I think are essential in this game, to help you learn more about who you're actually playing with. It definitely allows more insight into the players real lives.

(nothin like hearing someone ripping the bong over TS LMAO!)
 Gilgamesh.Alyria
VIP
user: alyria
By Gilgamesh.Alyria 2008-12-18 14:01:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Of course FFXI is like real life, I cast black mage spells at my annoying neighbors all the time! XD j/k :P It would be fun though
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-18 15:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenobriatix said:

lmao
 Unicorn.Tavlov
Server: Unicorn
user: Tomas
By Unicorn.Tavlov 2008-12-18 15:20:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Sovereign said:
I'd agree with this to a certain extent... some people do play a different persona online than they actually are in real life.

Though, it's much tougher to play a different role when your LS uses TeamSpeak or Vent... voice chat tools I think are essential in this game, to help you learn more about who you're actually playing with. It definitely allows more insight into the players real lives.

(nothin like hearing someone ripping the bong over TS LMAO!)

LOL ^^

On that first point, its also not fair to compare voice and text chat. Everyone can still be heard when we are typing, but if everyone is trying to talk at once; a lot can be lost, or forgotten, or after a moment, a change in wanting to say something.
 Leviathan.Celestinia
Server: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celestinia 2008-12-19 07:34:09
Link | Quote | Reply

The thing with text chat and what I love about the internet is it brings out my real personality, im a little bid timid irl but in-game there are no barriers to the way you can express yourself.

And it's true, this game is built around human interaction, you can hardly get far in this game without making friends and teaming up, and as with any team there will be people who you cannot stand and people you get on really well with.

It's one of the things that make this a great game, and from what i've heard off friends the human interaction in ffxi is much better than WoW, after a year of playing i've yet to blacklist a singal person or fall out with anyone. /jinxs self =o
 Odin.Ichrius
Server: Odin
user: Ichrius
By Odin.Ichrius 2008-12-19 09:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
everyone knows this :)

MMORPG = Mainly Man Online Roll Playing Girls

GIRL = Guy In Real Life >.>

Celestinia said:
The thing with text chat and what I love about the internet is it brings out my real personality, im a little bid timid irl but in-game there are no barriers to the way you can express yourself.

And it's true, this game is built around human interaction, you can hardly get far in this game without making friends and teaming up, and as with any team there will be people who you cannot stand and people you get on really well with.

It's one of the things that make this a great game, and from what i've heard off friends the human interaction in ffxi is much better than WoW, after a year of playing i've yet to blacklist a singal person or fall out with anyone. /jinxs self =o

I agree with this, mostly because even to players who've quit and came back or have nothing left to do, I've always heard "I just stay for the people" or "I still have friends who play" as their reason for staying in the FFXI community.
 Caitsith.Neonracer
Server: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2008-12-19 10:17:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly.. I have met quite alot of ppl, and now since being here for my 3rd year now..( Can't believe it) I now and then bump into ppl that I was in a linkshell on my first year, I just wave to ppl and ask them how they are doing. When Other Gamers say the word "Community" they're absolutely right on the money.. it is indeed a "Comunity" b/c its a group of ppl that do the same thing that everyone truly has a interest for.

Almost like you live in a Condo or a housing complex, and everyone has a passion or penchant for golfing, or displaying their gardens. Whatever you call it, I know that feel everytime I login and I see ppl I know.. it sorta feels like 'family' to me...

You get asked to party..you make friends.. you alliance allies.. its a pretty good feeling!
 Odin.Marigrim
Server: Odin
user: Mmaarrii
By Odin.Marigrim 2008-12-19 10:40:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Onepenny said:
everyone knows this :) MMORPG = Mainly Man Online Roll Playing Girls

Hmmm.. what about girls who roleplay men? :O

Metaphore for life I think FFXI is really.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2008-12-19 11:45:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Neonracer said:
Almost like you live in a Condo or a housing complex, and everyone has a passion or penchant for golfing, or displaying their gardens. Whatever you call it, I know that feel everytime I login and I see ppl I know.. it sorta feels like 'family' to me...

this is what i tried explaining to my girlfriend..heh. i've always thought of FFXI's community as a huge melting pot of people with similar interests (FF/RPG) who would otherwise not have crossed paths if it wasnt for the online aspect of the game. for that i am grateful.

it's like logging in to a whole different world for me, allows for a certain degree of escape. i can't see myself ever quitting and if it did happen so i would not be able to guarantee i wouldn not come back. it's all about meeting new interesting people for me as well as having fun with the friends ive made on the way. Exciting Adventures + Loot dont hurt either :P
 Lakshmi.Wardens
Server: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2008-12-19 13:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Yeah, I add alot of my friends on here to w/e social networking sites I'm using like facebook or myspace. And I even text a few of them or call them on occasion. They can also contact me whenever they want as well. :) It is like a community.
 Kujata.Embem
Server: Kujata
user: embem
By Kujata.Embem 2008-12-21 07:07:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Xenobriatix said:
Perhaps the ones who afk for too long are getting laid? No, what could I be thinking.

I am sad to say that I've done it.