Forum » FFXI » General » Crowded server Vs. Dead server
Crowded server Vs. Dead server
 Titan.Cripnicc
Server: Titan
Game: FFXI
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2010-04-27 17:46:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I am currently thinking of switching servers for various reasons but 1 of the main reason is because it feel's like titan is dead. If u look at the database titan has 9k active players vs a server like leviathan which has 16k active players. plus i mean how often do u see a post on ffxiah from a titan player... not often. that being said i have friends on titan plus it costs $$$ to transfer so wanted to know what ppl thought of crowded Vs. dead servers. Thinking of going to asura or leviathan in peticular
 Asura.Korpg
Server: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-04-27 17:51:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally, I rather have the dead server. At least bird camps are always open.
[+]
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2010-04-27 18:03:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Honestly it just depends on if you have a decent ls or enough friends to be able to get things done.
 Bahamut.Satanas
Server: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2010-04-27 18:03:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Personally crowded server, as I have experienced both in Bahamut.
 Kujata.Akeda
Server: Kujata
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-04-27 19:20:51
Link | Quote | Reply

A balance between the two, about 1200 people is best.

Enough to get things done and campaign without too much competition or death, but not to many that you're fighting over camps.

Cerberus.Savannah
Server: Cerberus
user: Savannah
By Cerberus.Savannah 2010-04-27 19:28:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't want to see the server dead...but now that we merged it's so crowded....

Lagging out and d/cing for no apparent reason at least 3 times a day....if i'm lucky only once ; ;
 Odin.Zicdeh
Server: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2010-04-27 19:43:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I prefer a dead server. You miss out on some weird ***like low level Exp Parties and Campaign takes a ***dive. But being able to walk out to Valkurm Dunes and be like "Oh hay, I'ma grab an emp pin"! and not worry about competition is sweet (Or was, til Odin Re-opened), or head out after the bots cap their digging fatigue for the day and pull in 250k in an hour at West Altepa. Those days are gone now though.
[+]
 Leviathan.Niniann
Server: Leviathan
user: Ninian
By Leviathan.Niniann 2010-04-27 20:39:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a crowded server.... 2265 people on right now. 9:40PM EST... I miss my dead Remora that was 800~1.2k people online at a time. :s

Edit: Levi sucks. :{
 Bismarck.Dracondria
Server: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-04-27 20:47:34
Link | Quote | Reply

JP midnight there's around 4-5000 people on and whenever I run around whitegate I r0 a lot so I'd prefer around ~2000 on instead.
 Asura.Isiolia
Server: Asura
user: Isiolia
By Asura.Isiolia 2010-04-28 08:44:04
Link | Quote | Reply

If Pandemonium was a dead server, than dead server, no question.
 Leviathan.Dubont
user: Dubont
By Leviathan.Dubont 2010-04-28 08:52:19
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Niniann said:
I have a crowded server.... 2265 people on right now. 9:40PM EST... I miss my dead Remora that was 800~1.2k people online at a time. :s

Edit: Levi sucks. :{
 Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Antonaki
By Quetzalcoatl.Kouryuu 2010-04-28 08:54:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I think more poeple is better if you have an LS where people dont wana help to much is good, "shout for mission, wait 5 minutes, full pt" but the lag, the lack of xp/merit camps, the over run farming areas and over crowding of the AH is ***. I dread to think what DA and VoS are like now day 4+.. glad im out of that scene...
 Leviathan.Aneu
user: Luz
By Leviathan.Aneu 2010-04-28 16:00:57
Link | Quote | Reply

You are out of your mind if you come to Levi. I don't know a single Remoran who has actually liked the merge, it ruined everything. Maybe me and all my friends only get run-ins with the bad Levi players but omg there's a lot of them. They ruin the most simple things in /shout groups here, like ISNM. Do NOT come here man.
 Titan.Cripnicc
user: Cripnicc
By Titan.Cripnicc 2010-04-28 16:12:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Well thx for the input u guys have convinced me to stay for now. I hate to think of an over crowded SKY that would suck. and getting a pt and having no where to camp is as bad as not getting a pt at all
 Carbuncle.Kyri
Server: Carbuncle
user: Kyri
By Carbuncle.Kyri 2010-04-28 16:17:35
Link | Quote | Reply

carbys aways been the perfect balance for me tbh
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-04-28 16:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Kyri said:
carbys aways been the perfect balance for me tbh
cuz you never moved, so you don't know the diff?
 Fairy.Sandman
Server: Fairy
user: sandman16
By Fairy.Sandman 2010-04-28 16:29:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Damn Kyri, you look good girl, wanta be friends?
 Odin.Trelan
Server: Odin
user: trelan
By Odin.Trelan 2010-04-28 16:41:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Zicdeh said:
I prefer a dead server. You miss out on some weird ***like low level Exp Parties and Campaign takes a ***dive. But being able to walk out to Valkurm Dunes and be like "Oh hay, I'ma grab an emp pin"! and not worry about competition is sweet (Or was, til Odin Re-opened), or head out after the bots cap their digging fatigue for the day and pull in 250k in an hour at West Altepa. Those days are gone now though.

What he said
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
Server: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-04-28 17:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If you're curious about this, the MMO industry has formulae they use to establish the exact population per zone / area unit that is most ideal for retaining subscribers.

With a server that's too crowded, resources become too scarce and people become frustrated. But with a server that's not crowded enough, there aren't enough people to show off gear to, which is actually the most common reason people play. Without enough social acknowledgement of its worth, the gear loses its perceived value, and the game's motivation illusion falls apart.

It comes down to what's called density of "social interaction nodes," and it's a primary reason that MMO's have forced downtime where you can't move or do anything but talk / check people.

The ideal population coefficient is somewhere in between, and drives most of the design decisions in city layouts, expansions, mergers, and splits.
 Titan.Ardiem
user: Ardiem
By Titan.Ardiem 2010-04-28 17:23:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Well Nic, I'm glad you've decided to stay with us but to be perfectly honest Titan has plenty of active users still on server.

I never have trouble finding an exp party at any level, I typically have 30-40 people online on my Flist at any given time and there are still around 20 active endgame shells to choose from on Titan, even if only about 4 of them do HNMs still.

The Auction house is always well stocked, it can be a pain getting exp camps but you never have to wait more than an hour or so, and Campaign has remained a viable exp option in that it has enough people to take out the NMs and generic mobs that flow into the battle, but not so many that people leave you dead till you HP because you're taking their exp.

Out of the several servers I've played on since I've started, Titan has been the best....with some of the kindest people I've yet to meet in game.