Forum » Everything Else » Culture and Media » comics/graphic novels ☆
comics/graphic novels ☆
First Page 2
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
Server: Unicorn
Game: FFXI
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-01 14:13:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Is there a comics/graphic novels thread? (For print comics, not web-published.)

If so, sorry, didn't see it.

I kind of wanted to post in one after posting in the "favourite authors & books" thread, since I do prefer traditional literature but enjoy comics quite a bit too. ^^

I haven't read any new comics in quite a while. I wanted to throw some of my old favorites out and see what people are reading now, to see if anything piques my interest. My favorite comic shop has stunk for a while now, but I'm thinking of going there soon to have a look around. Well, in a few weeks when there should be more money to spare on frivolities.

Some of my old favorites, which young'ns probably haven't seen but which oldsters like me (*gasp* early thirties! Oh noes!!) may be familiar with:

Metropol -- Ted Mckeever

Madman -- Mike Allred

Scud: The Disposable Assassin -- Rob Schrab

Milk & Cheese -- Evan Dorkin (I even had the game that came in that one issue of Wizard, and I ordered the Milk & Cheese and Madman dice too. OMG NERD! I only still have one Milk & Cheese die. /cry)

The Tick and its spin-offs, Chainsaw Vigilante and Man-Eating Cow -- Ben Edlund (ORIGINAL comics onry; I'll have nothing to do with the crap cartoon or live-action series)

The Watchmen -- Alan Moore

Maus -- by Art Spiegelman

Elektra: Assassin -- Frank Miller

Batman: The Killing Joke -- Alan Moore

Many, but not all, of the individual stories in the series, Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children -- Dave Louapre

V for Vendetta -- Alan Moore

Guilty pleasure that is embarrassing but still makes me laugh: Lobo: A Contract on Gawd -- (I forget who wrote it)

There are many others that I love, but these are what come to mind right now. ^^
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2010-02-01 14:15:55
Link | Quote | Reply

the only comic book i read right now is berserk. i highly recommend it.
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-01 14:18:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Diabolos.Ghlin said:
the only comic book i read right now is berserk. i highly recommend it.

Oh, I see that's put out by Dark Horse. They've put out a lot of good stuff in the past. I'll have to look at that. ^^
 Siren.Kuz
Server: Siren
user: RobKuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-02-01 14:33:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Being that I used to work in the field (did lettering and retouch for manga books), I love the Graphic Novel.

You've already listed a majority of my favorites (V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Madman, etc)

Personally, Id say pick up ANYTHING by Frank Miller (even though they WERE originally comics)

Some other favs happen to be:

Arkham Asylum (NO not video game you fools)
written by Grant Morrison and illustrated by Dave McKean

Mad Love Because Bruce Timm and Paul Dini are gods.

There's others...I need to look at my Library.
BUT if you ever want a hysterical read...
Pick up a copy of The Pro
written by Garth Ennis

Also they have a Graphic Novel of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac
If you're into Evan Dorkin... pick that up.
(These were made LOOOONG before Jhonen Vasquez sold out to Nickelodeon)

P.S. Go Go Early thirties! Kids don't know what they missed back in the 80's and early 90's comics
[+]
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-01 14:56:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
Kuz's awesome post

Woo! Thanks!

I'd forgotten Arkham Asylum... always meant to read that one!

And I already love JTHM... forgot to mention that one.

TOTALLY gonna check out the other stuff you mentioned.

And SO TRUE about '80s and '90s comics!! Go go early thirties! ^^
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-02-01 15:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

As I said... those were just the first that came to mind.
Need to check my shelves when I get outta work and I'll post more ideas for you.

Did you ever read Kingdom Come?

and how disappointed were ya when they changed the end of the Watchmen Movie (after waiting what... 15 years for the damn thing to get made?)

Another that popped into my head...
if you like Lobo...
there was a one-shot prestige format a long time ago called:
"Lobo's Paramilitary Christmas Special"

AWESOME read

[+]
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-02-01 15:39:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
/ I have :D
 Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-02-01 15:52:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Ragnarok.Anye said:
Siren.Kuz said:
/ I have :D

that book never ceases to amazes me when it comes to the little things in the background art.
Like Bjork in a crowd scene. Of the Super Monkee's randomly placed amongst the hero's.

Once you read it... go back and just LOOK at it.
and it never fails to impress each and every time.

P.S. in the restaurant... look for the waiter dressed as Greed Lantern, picking the wedgie outta his ***.
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2010-02-01 16:11:50
Link | Quote | Reply

LMAO! I've checked it out from the public library about 3 times, at least--I totally know what you mean!!! The attention to detail and the beautiful art is really what drew me to it, and the plot is beyond epic.

AND the ending stunned me completely.... so sad....
 Kujata.Erim
Server: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-02-01 18:06:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Another Dark Horse one is Blade of the Immortal. Very recommended! It's by a Japanese artist/writer but he doesn't follow the typical animu stereotype, a lot like Berserk. His art has some western influence and it's pretty dark (though not as dark as Berserk). I <3 it.
By semimmortal 2010-02-01 18:13:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Adding to the lists similar to Berserk and BotI, Vinland Saga.
Be warned, no super heroes, no unreal monsters etc etc etc.
But nevertheless, very addicting to read.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-02-01 18:15:07
Link | Quote | Reply

<3 Kingdom come
Justice also comes to mind.

I am a fan of Batman, especially when Grant Morrison took it
I am also a fan of Green Lantern and liking Blackest Night. (Siniestro wars was good too)

Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-01 23:34:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Kuz said:
and how disappointed were ya when they changed the end of the Watchmen Movie (after waiting what... 15 years for the damn thing to get made?)

I was all kinds of irritated and disappointed by the changed ending and some other aspects of the movie. Grrrr!

No, I never read Kingdom Come. I'm definitely gonna have to give that one a read, though, because it sounds great. And I can't wait to look into others that have been mentioned. Woot! I'm excited to go looking for these soon! ^^
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 23:36:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Does manga count?
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-02-01 23:49:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Does manga count?

Sures! I've liked some manga, but not much. There was one I read about five years ago... I can't remember the name of it. It was a serious one, but about vampires. Sounds dumb, but somehow it wasn't. I dunno. It was very sad, but not in that way that so much recent vampire stuff *tries* to be sad but is just stupid. I wish I could remember the name of it. I sold them to the used book store when I was finished with them.
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 23:52:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Hmmmm Blood+ was pretty sad. Well the anime didn't read the manga.

Death note was one of the few I would read the manga and watch the anime. Granted that's cause it came out faster and the 2 were almost identical.

Gantz did a pretty good job too.
 Ifrit.Bloodbathboy
Server: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Bloodbathboy 2010-02-01 23:55:27
Link | Quote | Reply

Darkhorse is the bomb. They are headquartered about 2 miles from my house. Been there a ton of times. I use to think Manga/ comics/ and anime were for dorks until I started watching and reading it. Now I can't get enough of the stuff.You should see the looks I get when I go comic con!!! All those titles metioned by Dolci are good.
 Phoenix.Thepillorian
Server: Phoenix
user: Pill
By Phoenix.Thepillorian 2010-02-14 19:14:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Some titles I would recommend would be

Artesia by Mark Smylie is about a warrior-witch woman who rises to become a general (or a queen?) and leads her army south to fight an empire trying to enforce its claim on their lands. A beautiful, fully painted series. Smylie shows exceptional knowledge of medieval combat and weapons/armor and also writes incredible political intrigue. Mature Readers, she tends to get naked a lot. And bangs a few dudes.

Fables answers the questions of "What if fairy tales were real?" and "What if they lived in New York City?" Bill Willingham writes excellent dialogue and interpersonal relationships as our heroes try to figure out who The Adversary that has driven them from their homelands is. Awesome cover art on the first 81 issues by James Jean.

Northlanders is billed as "A dark crime saga set in the Viking Age." Brian Wood has done some serious research on the subject, and it shows. A series of short stories and one shots set across the end of the first millennium, it's brutal and bleak. And awesome. And it has Vikings to boot. Current storyline is about a widow and her daughter trying to survive an extra strength harsh winter and the Black Plague all at once.

Powers is the story of a world where police try to enforce the law amongst super powered heroes and criminals. Solid cop noir drama by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oming.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-02-17 19:24:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Thepillorian said:
Northlanders

Hell yeah. I needed my viking fix from Vinland Saga but that wasn't enough.

I don't have much suggestions though.... aside from Spawn: Godslayer that I recently checked out. Ignore the Spawn part; it's actually pretty artsy.
 Shiva.Ninaa
Server: Shiva
By Shiva.Ninaa 2010-02-17 19:33:05
Link | Quote | Reply

The Boys by Garth Ennis (also did Preacher)

Astro City by kurt Busiek

Top 10, league of extraordinary gentlemen, or anything else by Alan Moore

Umbrella Academy by Gerard Way

Fables, as mentioned above, is awesome.

Ex Machina, and Y the last man, by Brian K. Vaughn

100 Bullets ~ Brian Azarello
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2010-02-17 20:49:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Gilgamesh.Mytoy said:
Read The Exorcist. Seriously, it's not a graphic novel but the graphic images the words create will scar you for the rest of your life. It is a great book, however.

Wait what.
 Seraph.Liberata
Server: Seraph
user: Liberata
By Seraph.Liberata 2010-02-17 21:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Might I also recommend Nextwave? It's only two trades, but Stuart Immonen's art is top notch and Warren Ellis' writing is hilarious.
 Phoenix.Ingraham
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-02-17 22:07:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Since we mentioned nightmare fuel, I guess I should bring up the comic book adaption of Clive Barker's Rawhead Rex.

Can't say I'm usually a fan of this stuff, but the artwork is pretty damn gruesome. I love it.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-02-17 22:19:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I can't seem to find anything on it, but a friend was telling me about a graphic novel called "1804" or something like that. It was about the Marvel mutants back in the 1800's. . .sounded pretty interesting. The Watchmen was epic, the novel that is. The movie was good as well, but I think they screwed the ending.
 Seraph.Liberata
Server: Seraph
user: Liberata
By Seraph.Liberata 2010-02-17 23:11:12
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Triet said:
I can't seem to find anything on it, but a friend was telling me about a graphic novel called "1804" or something like that. It was about the Marvel mutants back in the 1800's. . .sounded pretty interesting. The Watchmen was epic, the novel that is. The movie was good as well, but I think they screwed the ending.

I think you're referring to 1602 by Neil Gaiman? Really, my favorite part of that was the scratchboard covers by Scott McKowen.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2010-02-18 02:21:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Seraph.Liberata said:
Hades.Triet said:

I think you're referring to 1602 by Neil Gaiman? Really, my favorite part of that was the scratchboard covers by Scott McKowen.
That might be it. I just remember it was about the mutants in the past :3
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [70 days between previous and next post]
 Unicorn.Dulcinea
By Unicorn.Dulcinea 2010-04-29 14:33:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Woot woot! I've finally gotten my hands on some of the suggested reads from all of you, and I'm quite pleased. Thanks!

Lots of good new reads that I am thoroughly enjoying, so I can give all my awesome 90's comics a break and leave them shelved for a bit.

I also discovered "The Unwritten" while I was in the comic shop looking for some of the other stuff. Love it! ^^

Siren.Kuz
By Siren.Kuz 2010-04-29 14:54:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Well... what did you read? :D
First Page 2