Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Remora.Chairo
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Chairo
By Remora.Chairo 2010-02-01 14:21:51
Link | Quote | Reply

The best book I've ever read... I can't really choose but I'll just add both. One "IT" by Stephen King, the other is "Rainbow Six" by Tom Clancy, both books are epic in so many ways.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
Server: Carbuncle
user: zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 14:27:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who still read good old books in this time and age :D
 Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-02-01 14:59:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Recently read over the past twoish months:

Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (I seem to end up reading this book once or twice a year.)
Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin (I read this in a weekend as I just couldn't put it down!)

Currently reading:

The Case for God by Karen Armstrong
The Divine Comedy by Dante (I always lose steam about halfway through Purgatorio. :/)

One of my best friends finally got me to break down and order Notes from the Underground and The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky, so those two books will be next up for me. God knows I'll probably read them before I finish the Divine Comedy.
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-02-01 15:01:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:
Finally, someone else who read that. *** amazing read.
 Shiva.Jimmyjazz
Server: Shiva
user: Jimmyjazz
By Shiva.Jimmyjazz 2010-02-01 15:03:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Eeek said:
God knows I'll probably read them before I finish the Divine Comedy.

I have to be in the mood for Dante or it just doesn't fly. When I am in the mood I can put back 4 or 5 cantos in one sitting.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 15:07:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Pretty much all of Orson Scott Card's Short stories. Especially Unaccompanied Sonata.

Granted his books are good too
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 15:25:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Pretty much all of Orson Scott Card's Short stories. Especially Unaccompanied Sonata.

I thought his serie about Ender, " Ender's Game" was a bit odd, and at times hard to read, but yet hard to stop reading. if that makes any sense? lol
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
Server: Alexander
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-02-01 15:27:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Asura.Chareos said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:

Yes. Just started re-reading and buying the WoT series, on 7 now =]

Terry Pratchett is a legend, the Discworld books were highly entertaining when I was growing up, and no less so now.

I also quite like R.Scott Bakker's "The Prince of Nothing" and "Aspect-Emperor" trilogy's.

Catch-22 and 1984 are both classics, can't be denied =]

hehe I've read wheel of time atleast 10 times, and now I'm listening to it on audio book <3

Love wheel of time. I got so utterly angry this christmas when I got the next book, read it in less than a day, then realised I have to wait a whole year for the next one.

Love SoT also. Started re-reading them on saturday, already on Faith of the Fallen. Loving the TV series aswell.

Terry Brooks - Sword of shannara trilogy I also love, though not many do.

Though they're old, Phillip Pullman and his Northern Lights trilogy.

R.A. Salvatore - The Dark Elf Trilogy.

I read all these books 2/3 times a year, and can practically recite them word for word. It's pretty sad.

Asura.Eeek
Server: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2010-02-01 15:28:28
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
Asura.Eeek said:
Finally, someone else who read that. *** amazing read.

I have degrees in Anthropology and History, so this book was right up my alley. It's an absolutely outstanding book which I've read several times. I know it helped that my collegiate coursework immunized me against Diamond's tendancy to talk at great length about the cultures of Papua New Guinea. Outside of Guns, Germs, and Steel and Collapse, I haven't read anything else by Diamond. I'll have to get back to some of his other work later. Since my graduation a few years ago, I've been trying to read more of the things I missed while in college, namely some of the great works in literature, books on religion, and books on politics.

And Jimmy, you're right on about Dante. I also have to be in the mood to read his work. Otherwise, I'll barely make it through a single canto.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 15:30:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

I thought his series about Ender, " Ender's Game" was a bit odd, and at times hard to read, but yet hard to stop reading. if that makes any sense? lol
It was. And ender became super emo. The side series about bean was alot better. And his short stories are amazing.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 15:34:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Alexander.Ultrarichard said:
What!?! Blasphemy. That triology is awesome. As well as the other series that take place in that world. As was his Running with the demon triology and the most recent series which sorta connects the 2.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 15:34:35
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:

I thought his series about Ender, " Ender's Game" was a bit odd, and at times hard to read, but yet hard to stop reading. if that makes any sense? lol
It was. And ender became super emo. The side series about bean was alot better. And his short stories are amazing.

I've only read Ender's Game and Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card, I liked Invasive Procedures alot, but I'm usually more into a series of books, otherwise they'll just end way too fast.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 15:38:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Carbuncle.Zanno said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Pretty much all of Orson Scott Card's Short stories. Especially Unaccompanied Sonata. Granted his books are good too
I've only read Ender's Game and Invasive Procedures by Orson Scott Card, I liked Invasive Procedures alot, but I'm usually more into a series of books, otherwise they'll just end way too fast.
Yeah Invasive Procedures... well ender's game too were actually originally short stories that he expanded on.
 Unicorn.Ryuchan
Server: Unicorn
user: Ryuchan
By Unicorn.Ryuchan 2010-02-01 15:41:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything by Chuck Palahniuk. <3 Stranger than Fiction, Invisible Monsters, (Fight Club,) etc.
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-02-01 15:45:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
What!?! Blasphemy. That triology is awesome. As well as the other series that take place in that world. As was his Running with the demon triology and the most recent series which sorta connects the 2.

I've read Running with demons, but I don't own it :( I've also got the Word and the Void which I read from time to time.

Also loved Jarka Ruus.
 Fenrir.Stiklelf
Server: Fenrir
user: stikle
By Fenrir.Stiklelf 2010-02-01 16:04:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Lord of the Flies is one of my fav books
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 16:11:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I loved Sword of shannara as well. Sooo many good books and so little time, and reading more than 1 at the time just makes me confused.

Before you know it Rand Al'Thor becomes the new Seeker and is fighting against aliens for the freedom of Deverry o.o
 Alexander.Ultrarichard
By Alexander.Ultrarichard 2010-02-01 16:13:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Carbuncle.Zanno said:
I loved Sword of shannara as well. Sooo many good books and so little time, and reading more than 1 at the time just makes me confused.

Before you know it Rand Al'Thor becomes the new Seeker and is fighting against aliens for the freedom of Deverry o.o

you really get confused? I usually have 3 books going. One for the morning when I wake up, one for in the day, and one I read before I sleep. Couple of chapters of each at a time(since I've read them so many times theres no issue of not know wtf is going on).
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 16:14:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Yea, the books i love I've usually read a bazillion times already. but I still mix them up if reading them all at the same time D:
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-02-01 16:22:38
Link | Quote | Reply

you really get confused? I usually have 3 books going. One for the morning when I wake up, one for in the day, and one I read before I sleep. Couple of chapters of each at a time(since I've read them so many times theres no issue of not know wtf is going on).
I used to kinda do that. Like 1 for school that english teacher chose. 1 I chose for english and 1 I was reading for fun. It's not so bad. You get used to it. Kinda like watching different TV series as they come out

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-02-01 17:35:34
Link | Quote | Reply

I just finished reading "Destiny Kills" by Keri Arthur. It was ~meh. Nothing fabulous, but good for a quick brainless read, except a couple of sex scenes that I had to skip over. (It's a science fiction/fantasy book. Not a romance. >< I wasn't expecting any sex. Not that sex is bad, I enjoy it as much as the next person, but it's so awkward to just read about it.) I also recently read "The Drowning City" by Amanda Downum which I enjoyed. The story and the political issues it raised were nice, but it was her descriptive writing style that I liked best. I will re-read the book when I want examples of great descriptions to put into my own writing someday. (I'm a Creative Writing major in college atm.)

I like The Zion Covenant series by Bodie Thoene. There's 6 books in that series, all good books. Theone also wrote The Zion Chronicles, which I have not yet read but hope to someday.

I enjoy Patricia Briggs's writing, she does fantasy. Some of her books are "Masques", "Steal the Dragon", "When Demons Walk", "Dragon Bones", "Dragon Blood", "Raven's Shadow", "Raven's Strike", the Alpha and Omega series, and the Mercy Thompson series.

I loved Peter Pan growing up, so a couple good books for me are "Peter and the Starcatchers" and "Peter and the Shadow Thieves", both by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. It's basically the story of how Peter Pan came to be. I would label them Children's books, but they are full novel-length and I enjoyed them both.

I've read "The Turn of the Screw", "Oryx and Crake", and "Moby ***" all recently. I don't know if I would read any of them a second time, but they were all fascinating. "The Turn of the Screw" was made into a movie called "The Innocents," which I watched after reading the book and which scared the tar out of me. And most of my classmates think I am cooky, but I love reading the Norton Anthology books that we are assigned to read for English classes. They have a broad range of times in history and writing styles, from stories like "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" to poems like "War is Kind" to essays like "The Souls of Black Folk". All very fascinating for me.

I also just finished reading "Merchant of Venice" and "A Midsummer Night's Dream" for my Shakespeare class. Plays are meant to be watched, not read, but oh well. They were good anyways.
 Carbuncle.Zanno
By Carbuncle.Zanno 2010-02-01 17:38:04
Link | Quote | Reply

I almost forgot

Roger Zelazny: The Chronicles of Amber

Phoenix.Brexx
Server: Phoenix
user: Brexx
By Phoenix.Brexx 2010-02-01 17:42:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Anything by R.A. Salvatore
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2010-02-01 17:49:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Stiklelf said:
Lord of the Flies is one of my fav books

;; Lord of the Flies was evil. So was Mice and Men and Grapes of Wrath. They all made good points and had new thoughts and ideas for me to chew on about human behavior, but dang. They creeped me out.