Charybdis and Evasion
 Odin.Belllie
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Belllie 2008-10-08 15:13:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I fought Charybdis not too long ago as 75NIN/37DNC with
a friend 75RDM/BLM. The gear setup for Evasion I had was
Empress Hairpin, Evasion Torque, Elusive earring, Dodge Earring, Scorpion Harness, Rasetsu Tekko, Corse Cape,
Scouter's Rope, Ninja Hakama (can't remember if I fought at night), and Rasetsu Sune-Ate, as well as +3 AGI from a ring, and I ate a Jack O' Lantern (+10 Evasion) plus full Evasion merits! Pretty good evasion if you ask me. Anyways, Charybdis took shadows down pretty quick from his melee attacks to my surprise. I wonder if I just had bad luck. I've read numerous places that a BRD is mostly necessary for its Mambo. Even with my setup will Mambo help immensely? Anyone know how much Evasion each Mambo gives you? Any tips on better gear without breaking a leg? I really hope to duo this NM instead of having a full pt. Thanks.
 Asura.Stolas
Server: Asura
user:
By Asura.Stolas 2008-10-08 16:03:24
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

I fought him with a bit of evasion gear on my 74 nin, not nearly as much as you, but with a bard's double mambo. I've also fought him with damage gear, double mambo, and corsair's ninja roll. Either way, along with keeping full enfeebles like kurayami, hojo, and jubaku up, he rarely ever hit me. The fight is definetly possible with eva gear setup and rdm, but its much MUCH easier with a bard or corsair.
 Sylph.Santoro
Server: Sylph
user: Fukinder
By Sylph.Santoro 2008-10-08 17:47:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say try and stack Evasion skill over plain evasion if u can. I dont know your budget or if NIN is your main job or w/e but try for evasion earring and deffinately boxer's mantle. Hope that helps.
 Odin.Katoke
Server: Odin
user: Katoke
By Odin.Katoke 2008-10-08 18:15:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd say that Ninja without Mambo and your setup would lack necessary evasion to successfully tank. I'd say what they've been saying, get more Eva. Skill, or find a thief to tank it.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2008-10-08 19:43:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Belllie said:
Anyone know how much Evasion each Mambo gives you?

I can't remember the exact numbers atm (1:40am for me atm >.>) but in total it's either +25 or +35 EVA, I'm 99% sure.

Any Mambo+2 instruments will also provide an extra +2 EVA to each song (along with extra time!).
 Asura.Yoshikii
user: yoshikii
By Asura.Yoshikii 2008-10-08 20:55:02
Link | Quote | Reply

Bat Earring*2 yes, please!
 Alexander.Meeeeeep
Server: Alexander
user: Meeeeeep
By Alexander.Meeeeeep 2008-10-09 11:44:38
Link | Quote | Reply

And miss so much you'll wipe anyway?

Blind potions are like -100 acc.
 Caitsith.Sprinters
Server: Caitsith
user: Sprinters
By Caitsith.Sprinters 2008-10-09 14:31:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Ink Jet
 Asura.Yoshikii
user: yoshikii
By Asura.Yoshikii 2008-10-09 19:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeeeeep said:
And miss so much you'll wipe anyway? Blind potions are like -100 acc.

have u ever fight charby before?
 Seraph.Keichan
Server: Seraph
user: Keichan
By Seraph.Keichan 2008-10-09 22:43:49
Link | Quote | Reply

I fought this week with:

Evasion Gear:
Ninja Hatsuburi +1
Evasion Torque
Ethereal Earring
Scorpion Harness +1
Seiryuu's Kote
Boxer's Mantle
Ungar's Boomerang

Evasion +32
Agility +22
Evasion Skill +17

As long you have it entirely debuffed the entire time, it should be ok. I also had a full haste set to swap in only at the end of my Ni casts. (I had 5+4+6+5+3= 23 Gear Haste, but you can get past with about 18-20) I ate a pescalatora and I also had a heavy -damage set when timers were down and no images. There was no bard- but this week, I had a RDM, WHM and a BLU. I have however, done this with (NIN/WAR + BRD/WHM) and (NIN/WAR + RDM/WHM), and (NIN/WAR + WHM/BLM + BLM/RDM) along a slew of other combinations.

Otherwise, I'm sure you should be ok as long as you know that you can cast ichi or ni right when each rally of attacks starts. If you're skeptical at first, it might be useful to go as RDM/WHM + NIN/WAR + Stoneskin Job, but I can assure you that you should be able to do it without the stoneskin job. I also think that you shouldn't go as NIN/DNC because-- especially when you have no bard, there is rarely any time to even dance. (I only had barely enough time to keep debuffs without being caught in ninjutsu gear). Also-- I'd prefer /war because of defender and provoke since battles like this can be hairy sometimes if hate is not sticky. Good luck!
 Seraph.Lapuma
Server: Seraph
user: Lapuma
By Seraph.Lapuma 2008-10-10 00:46:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Actually, I'd prefer NIN/DNC on this one if you have low numbers and you're the main damage dealer. Hate management will not be as concrete as with /war, but it can be done fairly easily (provided the cure bombs are not being dropped right and left). Dances are instant so theres plenty of time to dance. The one negative of NIN/DNC is the reduced damage compared to NIN/WAR.

Just make sure you cast between charby's attacks (think Kclub with a higher delay)

The evasion stack is the way to go on this one though, and melody earrings are absolutely great with a bard too.
 Shiva.Godlike
Server: Shiva
user: Godlike
By Shiva.Godlike 2008-10-10 00:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Keep in mind that with DNC subbed you get evasion bonus, which I believe is (evasion+10), along with the dances. If you lose hate just pop a step then an animated flourish, and I doubt you'd be losing much hate. Other than that, get some evasion skill gear if you can. If you have a BRD, go for some Melody Earrings. Hope this helps, good luck!
 Fairy.Herant
Server: Fairy
user: Herant
By Fairy.Herant 2008-10-10 10:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

chary's miss/hit rate is not the only thing you'd be concerned. Keep it slowed as much as you can since even with capped evasion on him, its hit rate won't go under 20%.
I always suggest you to bring some HP gear 'cause a good-timed Cross Attack between your casts may oneshot you.
 Valefor.Lemming
Server: Valefor
user: Lemming
By Valefor.Lemming 2008-10-10 10:57:35
Link | Quote | Reply

You can solo it as nin/dnc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSN9oBCqTmQ

My gear set up was as follows

Mamushito+1/evasion katana I forget name of,
Ungur Boomerang
Optical Hat
Evasion Torque
Ethereal Earring
Reraise Earring (tricked me, it was supposed to be Evasion Earring, found out afterwards :P)
Scorpion Harness +1
Seiryu's Kote
Rajas Ring
Wivre Ring
Boxer's Mantle
Scouter's Rope
Boxer's Mantle
Rasetsu Sune-ate

and a 20% Haste gear macro for utsu.
Best of luck!
 Fairy.Vaskel
Server: Fairy
user: Vaskel
By Fairy.Vaskel 2008-10-10 11:21:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Bard does help a whole whole lot... Heh i just tanked it last night.

Setup:
2 eva merits
O Hat +10 eva
Scrop Harn +10 eva
Boxers Mantel +10 eva skill
Eva Toq +7 Eva Skill
Musical Earring +5 Eva

Every once n a while the sob just keeps up.. So going w/ 2x Melody Earrings is hella nice +10 or +12 eva skill!

Perfect setup: (in my eyes)
THF , BRD & RDM & BLM ftw! after 3-5m of thf fighting use Teir II-II nukes every 15s AM I or AMII after 10m of thf fighting and the THF Collo's u every time after (if it turns use accom). If a pld is there have it Flash after it WS's u as most of his WS take all shadows.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2008-10-11 16:45:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Vaskel said:
THF Collo's u every time after (if it turns use accom)

Almost foolproof XD The problem being Collaborator and Accomplice share recast timers, so if it turns after the THF uses Collaborator, your blm is almost 100% dead unless it can live for 60sec until Acc/Coll recast is up, so THF can Accomplice.

The problem with that is the blm has to be very careful with hate for at least 5min after that point.

The "Optimum" setup is BRD, RDM, THF or NIN. NIN has Subtle Blow IV, so Chary will gain a lot less TP than having a THF. THF has higher EVA skill naturally, so will evade a few more attacks. Having a BLM, RDM or SCH nuking will feed Chary TP every time it nukes, dot's however don't give TP and should be applied after a steady hate stream has been established, using THF tank, the THF should Collaborator every minute on the BRD or RDM, possibly saving it if the RDM is running low on MP for Accomplice after Convert (though I have yet to see a RDM drop under 75% with a THF and BRD in pt).
 Siren.Graham
Server: Siren
user: Fyder
By Siren.Graham 2008-10-11 16:58:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Optical Hat, Scorpion Harness (+1), Rasetsu Tekko/Sieryu's Kote, Byakko's Haidate, Fuma Sune-ate, Boxer's Mantle, Suppanomimi, Evasion Earring, Ungur Boomerange, Evasion Torque, Swift Belt / Speed Belt, +4 evasion merits. 75NIN/37DNC with those equips should have no problem soloing Charby.

Edit: With appropriate haste gear macros as well.
 Bahamut.Ashua
Server: Bahamut
user: Ashua
By Bahamut.Ashua 2008-10-11 17:00:34
Link | Quote | Reply

THF/NIN+BRD duo 100% idiot proof:

(assumes you took the time to cap eva at 276)

Gear on THF:
Optical hat
Scorpion Harness
Patricians cuffs (War gloves if you dont have)
Evasion torque
Boxers mantle (Coarse cape if you dont have)
Scouter's rope
Evasion earring (lesser earrings work but get the latent affect BRD song ones--cant think of their name atm)
Ethereal earring (see above +parrying earring works if you have it high enough already)
Sniper's ring
Sniper's ring
Crow hose (dont be a puss--the -enmity wont matter trust me. that brd wont be healing except on an occasional untimely tp move or two the whole fight)
dance shoes
for ammo slot use fenrir stone or ungar boomerang if you have either

all the brd does is mambo X2 maybe barwatera dispels charybdis buffs maybe regens, and waits for the few times hell need to cure the thf and stand back

All you as a THF will need to do is spam ichi--even if you have 2 shadows up dont screw off with that counting shadow ***. spam ichi as soon as timers are up. if youre worried about being a cheap *** you can mug him for more gil than your shihei stacks will cost
RESERVE NI FOR EMERGENCY SITUATION ONLY.

This is easy as hell with this setup/strategy. the ONLY excuse you have to fail is dcing really. Dont get lazy/over confident. its easy but being as it will take you about 45 min to kill you might get careless. I have a screen full of charybdis misses without a single hit. Ive done this many times and mostly before collab/accomplice were even released.
This will not fail.
 Midgardsormr.Acropora
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Acropora
By Midgardsormr.Acropora 2008-10-11 18:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Meeeeeep said:
And miss so much you'll wipe anyway?

Blind potions are like -100 acc.

Blind Potions Reduce Accuracy by 256
 Bismarck.Nours
Server: Bismarck
user:
By Bismarck.Nours 2008-10-12 05:11:36
 Delete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Dualbox it a lot RDM/BRD14 + THF75

Easy as hell, don't even use much evasion gear, just earrings to proc with /BRD.
 Hades.Boogers
Server: Hades
user: Boogers
By Hades.Boogers 2008-10-17 11:22:53
Link | Quote | Reply

If you have a bard, not only do you get evasion from Mambos, but you trigger the latent on the Melody Earrings. Each earring is Evasion Skill +5 (that's a total of +10 skill from two earrings). Evasion Skill gear is better than Evasion gear. With a bard, and two Melody Earrings, you should have no problems.
 Garuda.Jeuce
Server: Garuda
user: Jeuce
By Garuda.Jeuce 2008-11-11 23:09:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Boogers said:
If you have a bard, not only do you get evasion from Mambos, but you trigger the latent on the Melody Earrings. Each earring is Evasion Skill +5 (that's a total of +10 skill from two earrings). Evasion Skill gear is better than Evasion gear. With a bard, and two Melody Earrings, you should have no problems.

exactly what i was about to say the latent on those earrings help alot more than bat earrings would ever do since you wont be blind.
i did mine with a thf , brd and me as rdm.. fight was cake.. i kept dots on it enfeebed and hasted and rarely cured the thf even an occasional nuke ..
 Asura.Shamaya
user: Shamaya
By Asura.Shamaya 2008-11-11 23:17:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I know as Thf I could do it fairly easily with a Rdm. With a bard, even one mambo is ridiculously easy even in a non-max evasion set. For charby I go more with a subtle blow build. Even as Nin, assuming you can get the appropriate evasion, even if it requires having a bard, I highly recommend using Rajas Ring and Peiste Belt +1, which should bring you to about the cap on subtle blow.
 Kujata.Beryle
Server: Kujata
user: beryle
By Kujata.Beryle 2008-11-14 14:56:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Trio'd (players) with one NPC on 10-20-2008.

Party:

Redblaze: 75THF/NIN
Daedalus: 75PLD/NIN
Beryle: 75SCH/RDM

You don't HAVE to have a BRD. You don't HAVE to have a RDM. I would imagine that the THF had evasion gear up the wazoo, but I never paid any attention to that. Don't care about gear, it's skill that makes you good.
 Cerberus.Evangel
Server: Cerberus
user: Evangel
By Cerberus.Evangel 2008-11-14 22:27:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Who Evasion tanks this thing any more? I tanked it on Monk with a Red Mage and Bard. Haste gear, Haste, and Marches makes for a 3 minute trio Charybdis. 11 second Ichi, 14 second Ni, and a VERY slow squid.
 Bahamut.Bojack
Server: Bahamut
user: Bojack316
By Bahamut.Bojack 2008-11-14 22:33:29
Link | Quote | Reply

Beryle said:
Don't care about gear, it's skill that makes you good.

If gear doesn't matter and it's only skill that makes you good, try tanking Charybdis naked lol.
 Kujata.Beryle
Server: Kujata
user: beryle
By Kujata.Beryle 2008-11-15 04:57:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Bojack said:

If gear doesn't matter and it's only skill that makes you good, try tanking Charybdis naked lol.

I'm sorry, let me rephrase:

I don't care about gear... my skill and that of my party outweighed any need for 'leet' gear. Besides, I'm a mage... wtf would I be tanking Charybdis for anyway?
 Hades.Evilpaul
Server: Hades
user: Evilpaul
By Hades.Evilpaul 2008-11-15 16:52:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Evangel said:
Who Evasion tanks this thing any more? I tanked it on Monk with a Red Mage and Bard. Haste gear, Haste, and Marches makes for a 3 minute trio Charybdis. 11 second Ichi, 14 second Ni, and a VERY slow squid.
Other than this being impossible you make a very good point.

And since it can attack more than three times per round either you're evading those or sucking up lots of MP every few seconds even with 3 fresh shadows up.
 Cerberus.Evangel
Server: Cerberus
user: Evangel
By Cerberus.Evangel 2008-11-15 23:39:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Maybe I wasn't paying attention to the timers, or whatever, but I see why you say it's impossible. No matter, even with 15 second Ichi and 22 second Ni it's easy.

As a MNK with capped Evasion and Evasion merits, a Bibiki Seashell, and some random lolAGI from gear, I got hit about 5 times the entire fight, not including the AoE's. Nonetheless, the beauty of having a RDM and BRD is they won't run out of MP in a 3 minute fight.

Happy hunting~