Game: FFXI
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-12-07 18:21:40
Link | Quote | Reply

Odin.Kalico said:
I duoed mine with a nin and rdm(me)
was very easy hardest part was the
claim. I herd of rdm's soloing this thing
by strait tanking any 1 know this to be true.
I seen Rdm solo kite dot it to death.

Think it was a rdm/blu but I wouldnt think your normal rdm would be able to do it.

I duo'd my charby with a nin for a good while until the rest of my cavalry came to help us out.
 Bahamut.Raenryong
Server: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-07 18:22:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I duo'd him with a RDM to get my Joytoy as DRK/NIN... didn't tank though :p I kited, throwing Stun and Absorb-TP (VERY important) and let it hit my Dread Spikes occasionally (reallllly badly hurts it). RDM did standard DoT kite. Took ages but we did it!

As for your question: maybe. His accuracy is pretty low for an evasion strategy to work so well even without Mambos, so you might be able to pull it off given that support.

EDIT: Straight tanking on RDM? Highly skeptical. I think he attacks faster than you can put up Stoneskin? Would get very painful, very fast.
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-12-07 18:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Yes. DRK would also have Abs Tp. Interesting. DRK also gets to claim with Stun and use Stun while tanking.

I really like the idea of a DRK tanking this thing the more I think about it. He needs one hell of a support suite to do it though.
 Bismarck.Remedy
Server: Bismarck
user: Remedy
By Bismarck.Remedy 2009-12-07 19:20:29
Link | Quote | Reply

hey im about to try this as THF/NIN & RDM/BRD ans want some feed back if any one thinks we could do it .

THF (me) max merited eva + cap
O-hat +10 eva
Eva Torque +7 eva
Melody ear x2 +10 eva (with brd song's)
Scorp harness +10 eav
War glove's +1 +6 eva
Corse Cape +7 eva
Dance shoes +6 eva

aint bought it yet but will be getting the scouters +10 eva
and the new legs from addon +7 eva

RDM capped enf magic with 2 merits
blind 2 , slow 2 , para 2 , phalanx 2 (only 1 merit on each)
good int gear and some enf gear (NQ staves)
fast cast x2 gear

for haste gear i aint got nothing special turban and dusk gloves will be getting 3% haste on legs and looking for run on swift belt ( cant get help with rap harness)

please let me know if this fight is possible with this set up please
 Diabolos.Ghlin
Server: Diabolos
user: Ghlin
By Diabolos.Ghlin 2009-12-07 19:38:13
Link | Quote | Reply

looks like an ideal set-up to me.

rdm should stack mind for slow II and para II.

you can full time some haste w/o losing much as thf. you have A+ in evasion alongside evasion bonus as a trait.

remind the rdm to be careful with the hate from Blind II (and all spells) til you establish hate. TP to 300 before starting and WS at the start is not enough to really establish hate if the rdm casts all of his spells and hits a cure spell early. if he gets hate, charybdis can drop him likes he's hot. bring RR earring for him to be ultra safe.

Sylph.Hitetsu
Server: Sylph
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-12-07 19:42:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Hate shouldn't be too much of a problem for a THF utilising Collaborator/Accomplice as a means to keep hate off RDM's (especially at the start when there is no real hate established).
 Hades.Mander
Server: Hades
user: Mander
By Hades.Mander 2009-12-07 19:52:58
Link | Quote | Reply

easily possible. i do it all them time when i sell my joytoys.. just have to keep haste on, slow, blind, para etc full time. my suggestion is to keep 3 shadows up at all time. should be able to get away with just using Ichi and use Ni for this 'oh ***' moments like when it uses cross attack
 Bahamut.Raenryong
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2009-12-07 19:53:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Can just keep Gravity on it for the first few hate-establishing minutes!
 Hades.Mander
Server: Hades
user: Mander
By Hades.Mander 2009-12-07 19:54:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Hitetsu said:
Hate shouldn't be too much of a problem for a THF utilising Collaborator/Accomplice as a means to keep hate off RDM's (especially at the start when there is no real hate established).

that's why you make sure there is inventory space for steal and save TP for beginning of the fight
 Bismarck.Remedy
Server: Bismarck
user: Remedy
By Bismarck.Remedy 2009-12-07 19:58:59
Link | Quote | Reply

yeh i was a bit worried about the starting of the fight with the hate i have a few emnity + merits now to help that little bit extra thanks for the comments il post one day after the fight and let yall know how it goes
 Kujata.Slayerdna
Server: Kujata
user: SlayerDNA
By Kujata.Slayerdna 2009-12-07 20:01:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Have Rdm put Para+Slow(2 if possible)an blind... You are ok... Soloed this on DNC
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-12-07 20:35:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ramuh.Dasva said:
Yeah unless you can evade most the hits charby will eat you alive. I've heard of dncs soloing so a rdm and thf should be able to but you'd need a a bit more evasion than that. Not really sure how much would have to talk to some of the people that low man it.

There is plenty of decent cheap evasion gear of thf if that is the problem and not uncapped evasion skill.

it depends with most my evasion skill and gear/vasion gear i can tank her fine. depends what you have.

Might consider doing this.

Have a haste macro near ichi and ni macro's. This can have all your haste gear on thf. next to that an evasion set macro, and probably a tp and raw ws gear macro next to that (you want that *** going down fast).

RDM should have category 2 merits and go next to you for collab/accomp. Phlnx 2 when it is up haste, etc bio probably. If you are not picky about giving the mob tp that is.

Point is this what you may want to do is figh in near to full evasion gear and when shadows go down use haste for Ni and when casting ichi just use evasion gear. Thats all you really need, but itt depends if you want haste for ichi also just use haste gear for it... the main slos should have evasion in them anyway.

Combat master mitts
evasion torque
Optical hat
ethereal earring
evasion earring
boxer's mantle
scorpion harness (never used it always leave r.harness on depends also)
Ungur bomerang
Emissionary boots
scouters rope (usually keep my swift on why? rather hit faster on charby)
Ermine's Tail (still need this my self')
evasion legs (if needed they are in the evasion macro anyway)

Then

homam for haste and tp
and ws gear in macro's
if i need to use hem i will (hose macro's)

I also have merits I have done and tanked him with rdm only, I also tanked him on nin and note I had less evasion than my thf because, certain items were missing ones nin can't use and no evasion hands were on ah.

Depends on skill level also, I'd work and fight several devil manta and keep watch on charbydis. she keep attacking so best to keep casting ichi and ni mainly because you never know at the start of another attack round if your shadows will be wiped or not.. and do not for get about the ones that remove them all together.. and thats where Ni comes in.

If you have merits and a decent evasion set you should be fine ^^b.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2009-12-07 20:40:33
Link | Quote | Reply

Another note, things can go wrong. you can get hit with a cross attack and dip all the way down to 100 hp this depends how much merits you and and what job you are on.

There is that rare chance you will die and wipe because of it.
 Odin.Kalico
Server: Odin
user: Panthra
By Odin.Kalico 2009-12-07 20:50:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said:
Odin.Kalico said:
I duoed mine with a nin and rdm(me)
was very easy hardest part was the
claim. I herd of rdm's soloing this thing
by strait tanking any 1 know this to be true.
I seen Rdm solo kite dot it to death.

Think it was a rdm/blu but I wouldnt think your normal rdm would be able to do it.

I duo'd my charby with a nin for a good while until the rest of my cavalry came to help us out.

oh ok well the person i spoke with
said they soloed it on rdm/blu and /nin
but /blu was harder was wondering if any 1
had any similar experiences.
 Midgardsormr.Echion
Server: Midgardsormr
user: Echion
By Midgardsormr.Echion 2009-12-11 03:06:26
Link | Quote | Reply

You dont really need epic gear to solo this guy.

I have soloed him quite a few times On Thf/Nin spamming bloody bolts when necessary but i find Nin/Dnc to be a much much easier solo. If your able to have a rdm to para/blind/slow that is always a plus. Theres always that chance you could get AOE followed by an 8hit right after to eat ur lunch.

Having a bard friend come out is a sure way to guarantee swift victory. Mambox2 you probably wont ever have to recast shadows (unless AOE of course)

My fave nin/dnc setup is:

Head - Optihat
Neck - Evasion Torque
Body - Scorpion Harness +1 (NQ works just as well)
Hand - Rasetsu Tekko
Waist - Scouters Rope
Legs - Koga Hakama
Feet - Fuma Sune-ate
Ear1 - Velocity Earring
Ear2 - Suppa
Rin1 - Rajas
Rin2 - Snipers +1 (eva ring would be better)
Back - Boxer's Mantle (have used Amemet+1 before and worked fine as well)
Rang - Ungur Boomerang

Also have Eva merits 4/4

For a complete solo i would suggest swapping rajas, suppa, and snipers for some low cost Evasion rings/earring. Boxers, Ungur, Eva merits are some of the key factors that will help in keeping yourself alive.

I do have a Chr+ set for the curing waltz but normally dont use them when fighting charby just in case. with the basic eva set the curing waltz's will still do quite a bit of healing.

If really trying to focus on a Thf/Nin with a Rdm helper I would suggest basically the same gear setup, just swap out hands and legs for some Haste+
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [93 days between previous and next post]
 Fairy.Okiah
Server: Fairy
user: Okiah
By Fairy.Okiah 2010-03-13 15:28:12
Link | Quote | Reply

I trio'd chary, tanking it on my dnc/nin (301 eva skill +51 eva), rdm/whm and a whm/sch. took me an hour and a half, had quite an audience watching me trying to mess with my head to get me to fail lol was so funny lol
 Cerberus.Watanabie
Server: Cerberus
user: Watanabie
By Cerberus.Watanabie 2010-03-13 15:34:11
Link | Quote | Reply

I've Duo'd Charybdis MNK/NIN and RDM/WHM...Need some evasion gear...Black Belt is almost a must have in order to do this imo. RDM must keep Blind/Slow II/Para on at all times. Seen a NIN/DNC solo it...was painful to watch but he/she/it pulled it off.
 Fairy.Vegetto
Server: Fairy
user: Vegetto
By Fairy.Vegetto 2010-03-13 15:36:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Can solo on mnk w/ chi kite if you can get it to the kiting spot w/o dying.
 Cerberus.Watanabie
Server: Cerberus
user: Watanabie
By Cerberus.Watanabie 2010-03-13 15:39:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Chi fighting is so boorrrriinngg though...Never tried it with Charybdis, Chi kited that brass borer thing the other day...Was about 1hour 20min fight, boring, but feels good to solo stuff.