Custom Firmware On PSP3000?

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Arcade » Custom Firmware on PSP3000?
Custom Firmware on PSP3000?
First Page 2
 Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra
Server: Midgardsormr
Game: FFXI
user: Sect
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-12-05 09:29:14
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm getting my first PSP soon and keep hearing about custom firmware, pandora batteries, magic memory sticks, putting PS1 games or downloaded games on it, and other such things.

The PSP is an entirely foreign creature to me >_> I have never played one, ever, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. Does anyone here have a PSP3000 with any of these things working on it that can help me figure this stuff out?
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-12-05 09:39:15
Link | Quote | Reply

You could try sending a PM to Siren.Clinpachi. I heard he uses these things a lot.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-12-06 07:39:29
Link | Quote | Reply

I tried ordering a PSP 3000 kit from http://www.pandorabatteryco.com/ but they sent me an email refunding my money and saying it's out of stock. I can't find another website that has PSP3000 stuff. Anyone know any?
 Valefor.Dreamriver
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Dreamriver 2009-12-06 09:44:24
Link | Quote | Reply

The idea of downgrading the firmware to get back to a earlier version I think is just to get to the available homebrew stuff. AS I think Sony upgraded the firmware to prevent Homebrew applications. I've not looked into any of the Homebrew stuff or what it has to offer but I would imagine if you hack around your PSP with this Magic Memeory stuff etc then your warranty goes straight out of the window.
As for downloading PS1 games onto your PSP, you can do it an official way through Playstation Store. Also if you liked Final Fantasy 7 then thats available now and theres meant to be Final Fantasy 8 in the near future also but not seen anything for awhile on that
 Siren.Ashkente
Server: Siren
user: Ashkente
By Siren.Ashkente 2009-12-19 17:08:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Valefor.Dreamriver said:
The idea of downgrading the firmware to get back to a earlier version I think is just to get to the available homebrew stuff. AS I think Sony upgraded the firmware to prevent Homebrew applications. I've not looked into any of the Homebrew stuff or what it has to offer but I would imagine if you hack around your PSP with this Magic Memeory stuff etc then your warranty goes straight out of the window.
As for downloading PS1 games onto your PSP, you can do it an official way through Playstation Store. Also if you liked Final Fantasy 7 then thats available now and theres meant to be Final Fantasy 8 in the near future also but not seen anything for awhile on that

8 was put on the PS Store this week, fyi.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2009-12-19 17:15:18
Link | Quote | Reply

I managed to find a brand new PSP 2000, so I seem to have resolved this lol
 Ramuh.Ragni
Server: Ramuh
user: Ragni
By Ramuh.Ragni 2009-12-19 17:17:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Here u have: http://www.atmaxplorer.com/2009/12/install-psp-custom-firmware-5-50-gen-d3/

It's working and it easy to do :) no need any pandora ***etc. Need just to install this on ur psp ^^
 Fenrir.Fizzycandy
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Fizzycandy 2009-12-19 17:20:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Btw, if you do put custom firmware on your PSP you probably won't be able to play any legit games(if the cfw is too low)and will have to get the downloaded ones that you got your cfw for. You might need a bunch of different memory sticks though if you plan on playing lots of games, I know MHFU and Dissidia with their data installs takes up almost a whole 4gig memory stick.
 Kujata.Erim
Server: Kujata
user: Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-19 17:37:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra said:
I managed to find a brand new PSP 2000, so I seem to have resolved this lol

Well, keep in mind with the 2000 models if you get a TA-88v3 mobo you won't be able to run CFW like other PSPs. You'll need to boot into a Homebrew Enabler first everytime your PSP shuts down completely and boots back up.

ChickHEN is the Homebrew enabler. You'll need to have firmware 5.03 or less on your PSP for this to even work. If you have a higher firmware, I'm afraid you're just ***out of luck with a TA-88v3 mobo.

It's important to remember that ChickHEN is not flawless, and it's a pain to get working the first time if you don't understand it. You'll need a memory stick, preferably a small cheap one you use ONLY to store the ChickHEN files on. Restore Factory Default Settings on your PSP then reboot it. Insert the memory card with ChickHEN on it and enter the Photo > Memory Stick > ChickHEN folder and then just wait. Let the pictures load, don't open any of them. At this point your PSP will flash green and become Homebrew enabled OR it'll freeze and turn black... if that happens wait for it to turn off and try loading the images again.

Once you're in the homebrew enabled mode you can install a CFW permanently to non-TA-88v3 models or in a temporary state for TA-88v3s.

Once you're there... enjoy. Remember that turning off your PSP completely makes it lose its CFW state, but putting it to sleep and plugging it in to charge does not.
 Hades.Triet
Server: Hades
user: Sirseiko
By Hades.Triet 2009-12-19 17:49:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I have a modded PSP1000, wasn't too much of a hassle. I got my pandora battery/magic memstick from Amazon. From what I last heard PSP3000 wasn't able to be modded, but DarkAlex can easily impress anyone and could've made modding the PSP3000 cake. You must be used a crappy .ISO file Fizzycandy because the version of Dissidia I have only takes up 1.53GB, so less than half.

I get mine from PSPISO, specifically Hako. He is PSP UMD games/PSX/Movie god. :3 You have to have an account but well worth it for all the frequent game updates.
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2009-12-19 17:55:14
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Triet said:
I have a modded PSP1000, wasn't too much of a hassle. I got my pandora battery/magic memstick from Amazon. From what I last heard PSP3000 wasn't able to be modded, but DarkAlex can easily impress anyone and could've made modding the PSP3000 cake. You must be used a crappy .ISO file Fizzycandy because the version of Dissidia I have only takes up 1.53GB, so less than half.

DarkAlex is no longer part of the scene, which is probably why the TA-88v3s, 3000s, and PSP-Gos remain unhacked (at least in a permanent state). No one else seems to have the insight he does.
 Fenrir.Fizzycandy
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Fizzycandy 2009-12-19 18:01:45
Link | Quote | Reply

I thought he would have came back after the PSPgo was released but I guess not =/
 Valefor.Dreamriver
Server: Valefor
By Valefor.Dreamriver 2009-12-20 06:58:39
Link | Quote | Reply

8 was put on the PS Store this week, fyi.[/quote]

Ok I presume your outside of Europe because we dont have it yet, but thanks for the heads up means it wont be to long I guess.
 Ramuh.Ragni
Server: Ramuh
user: Ragni
By Ramuh.Ragni 2009-12-20 07:20:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Fenrir.Fizzycandy said:
Btw, if you do put custom firmware on your PSP you probably won't be able to play any legit games(if the cfw is too low)and will have to get the downloaded ones that you got your cfw for. You might need a bunch of different memory sticks though if you plan on playing lots of games, I know MHFU and Dissidia with their data installs takes up almost a whole 4gig memory stick.

You can play legit games on CFW ;) Dissidia takes 1.6k GB at most same like Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core. Also all demos from PSN Store works too.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 12:53:14
Link | Quote | Reply

So after about a month, I finally have a PSP 2000 in my hands and I'm confused to the max. I can't figure out what type of mobo I have, I have a pandora's battery and magic memory stick too. I can't even boot the PSP with the pandora battery in it -.-

Edit: and it looks like I just got *** because I have firmare 4.01, which supposedly means my mobo is unhackable. What the ***...
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 13:03:49
Link | Quote | Reply

Firmware 4.01 is hackable.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 13:04:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Then how come it won't load when I put the pandora battery in and try and start it up?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 13:10:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Then how come it won't load when I put the pandora battery in and try and start it up?

It may very well be a Ta88 motherboard, earlier in the thread I posted about them and how to determine if it was true or not. You might want to re-read it and try to use ChickHEN. DO NOT upgrade your firmware beyond 5.03 however. If you do it will become unhackable if its a TA88. Upgrading to Firmware 5.03 will not ruin your chances of hacking the PSP regardless of its model.

EDIT: Also if you need more detailed information, just let me know. I'll do what I can to help.
By Tiaraa 2010-01-08 13:23:09
Link | Quote | Reply

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183671

A nice guide to check your motherboard there. Used it to find out if mine was hackable.
 Bismarck.Misao
Server: Bismarck
user: misacat
By Bismarck.Misao 2010-01-08 15:02:19
Link | Quote | Reply

o,o what does this Pandora battery do?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 15:08:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Bismarck.Misao said:
o,o what does this Pandora battery do?

The Pandora was designed to let PSPs become hacked from a flash writable state if I recall correctly. The Pandora doesn't work on PSP 3000s, Gos, or 2000 TA 88v3.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 19:38:52
Link | Quote | Reply

So in order to get ChickHen working, I need to go out and get another small memory stick. I'll try and do that this weekend.

Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 20:01:59
Link | Quote | Reply

No you don't, you can use the one you currently have, I just recommend it.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 20:33:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
You'll need a memory stick, preferably a small cheap one you use ONLY to store the ChickHEN files on.

I took this to mean that the memory card stick that I put ChickHEN on could only be used for ChickHEN. So I can do this all on my 8gb?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 20:36:29
Link | Quote | Reply

To clarify, a smaller memory stick is nice to have because ChickHEN runs better off a formated Memory Stick and formating the stick to get it to boot ChickHEN is annoying when you have your games stored there.

Although annoying, you CAN use your main memory stick for ChickHEN by either formating it when you have to boot into ChickHEN OR simply trying over and over until ChickHEN boots
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 20:48:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ah.

I'm gonna look into this now. So I have to update my firmware to 5.03 and then put ChickHEN on it. ChickHEN is a firmware loader, so I also need a custom firmware?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 22:21:30
Link | Quote | Reply

Ya basically, you upgrade to firmware 5.03. Put ChickHEN on a formatted memory stick. Restore Default Settings on your PSP. Put the ChickHEN card into the PSP and go to the pictures section on the PSP. Enter the ChickHEN folder and don't move, just let the images load. Try again and again until it flashes green and loads successfully. Now whatever you do, don't turn your PSP off, you CAN put it to sleep by using the power slider and pressing it up only briefly, but holding it up for a couple seconds will completely power it off. While in ChickHEN you'll be able to run Homebrew but nothing illegal like pirated PSP games, just emulators and other things. You can run a program that will read your PSP hardware and display your motherboard type however and then you'll know where to go from here. I wish I could remember the name of the program... but it escapes me.... PSPident I think...

To run these programs just download them and put their folders in the 0:\PSP\GAME directory (Where 0 is the root of your PSP). Under ChickHEN they should run without issue.
 Kujata.Akeda
user: Akeda
By Kujata.Akeda 2010-01-08 23:09:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
I know Dissidia with their data installs takes up almost a whole 4gig memory stick.

LOL what?

Dissidia only takes up 542MB and you don't even have to install all of it.
By Midgardsormr.Sectumsempra 2010-01-08 23:48:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Everytime I try and copy a file to the PSP, my PC stops recognizing it and the connection craps out.

It never *** ends, does it?
 Kujata.Erim
By Kujata.Erim 2010-01-08 23:51:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Everytime I try and copy a file to the PSP, my PC stops recognizing it and the connection craps out.

It never *** ends, does it?

/comfort

I hope you didn't buy a bad battery and memory stick. Although expensive, sony brand memory sticks are generally the only ones that should be trusted.

With your Memory Stick selected in your PSPs interface (this can be anywhere under Photo, Music, whatever) press △ and go to Information. Does it say MagicGate Supported?
First Page 2