Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » Nvidia Performance
Nvidia Performance
 Kujata.Maidak
Server: Kujata
Game: FFXI
user: Maidak
By Kujata.Maidak 2009-11-22 12:11:09
Link | Quote | Reply

I was browsing around and reading on different forums about the Nvidia Drivers, and there was a old driver that was made specifically for ffxi. I'm not sure on exactly what would be best keeping my 179.71 Driver or downgrading to the 169.71 driver. I play final fantasy on a Hpdv2000 and the graphics card i use is a Go 6150 on Vista 32 bit. Also I am not sure on how to downgrade to that driver either I would really appreciate some help and suggestions i'm really sick of running constant 5-10fps with lowest specs available.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-11-22 13:40:11
Link | Quote | Reply

As I recall every driver beyond the one that was one the was posted about included the fixes for XI so they applied throughout. I had an LJ entry I wrote about it in, so if I find it I'll edit this again.

Is that a laptop, Maidaik? Are you using the most recent drivers avail from Nvidia or if a laptop, did they stop supporting your model at some point?
 Garuda.Antipika
Server: Garuda
user: Antipika
By Garuda.Antipika 2009-11-22 14:15:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Quote:
graphics card i use is a Go 6150

$2 graphic card, here is your problem. Drivers won't solve anything.
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-11-22 14:59:39
Link | Quote | Reply

you problem is vista, i have a dell inspiron e1505 with intel 945 running xp pro. i was actually supprised how well it ran ffxi considering my brothers compaq laptop which is much nicer than mine with the same nvidia chip as yours and can only do basic gameplay, cant xp pt duo'ing with him is close to unsafe just because he lags so much
 Siren.Balias
Server: Siren
user: Balias
By Siren.Balias 2009-11-22 15:26:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow! that is so 1337! I feel gimp on my unibody 17" MacBook Pro running Windows 7 :(
 Odin.Moondaddy
Server: Odin
user: Moondaddy
By Odin.Moondaddy 2009-11-22 15:33:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Balias said:
Wow! that is so 1337! I feel gimp on my unibody 17" MacBook Pro running Windows 7 :(

um... ok im just saying vista is the reason your laptop cant play ffxi for ***. it hogs too much system resorces. grats on your macbook, im just happy the 5yr old laptop i just pay'd $125 for plays ffxi better than new ones
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
Server: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-11-22 18:09:18
Link | Quote | Reply

It's a common issue with the lower end nvidia cards. They simply suck for playing FFXI. I have a laptop that I use for work with a intel x3100 integrated videocard (lolvideocard), and it plays at 20-30 fps at 1280x800. The other laptop I use has a Nvidia 9400 and struggles at a slightly higher resolution of 1440x900.

Both running windows 7 btw.

Vista isn't necessarily the issue. But in my experience, Vista ran things a bit more sluggishly, especially on a lower specced laptop.
 Gilgamesh.Funsam
Server: Gilgamesh
user: funsam
By Gilgamesh.Funsam 2009-11-22 18:55:48
Link | Quote | Reply

the latest update for nvidia 7600 from sept/oct made game worse. i had to rollback mine anyone else had this problem?

ps i run vista & wasn't too bad for this until the latest nvidia upgrade.
 Siren.Eagleeyes
Server: Siren
user: eagleeyes
By Siren.Eagleeyes 2009-11-22 20:09:03
Link | Quote | Reply

The whole issue is not your system being vista, but is your old hardware and the fact that nvidia as well as ati are slowly backing away DX8 support/optimization. Seriously Vista is not bad at all if you're running a x64 system with 4GB or more of memory.

Really I blame the manufactures for vista's issues. OEM makers making Desktops/Laptops specs at the minimum for the OS. Software/Hardware companies for making shitty drivers, (looking at you nvidia).
 Sylph.Otsego
Server: Sylph
By Sylph.Otsego 2009-11-22 20:35:10
Link | Quote | Reply

I agree with Eagleeyes, it isnt vista that causes those sorts of issues. I run an HP Dv7, unsure on the exact graphics card, 4GB ram, and its a 64 bit system, and FFXI ran absolutely wonderful on mine. Granted i blew my primary HD, so it has to be fixed :/. Oh, and my graphics card is a 2GB, wish i had more info on the exacts on it though. Usually the issue with any sort of graphics is its obsolete, or the drivers are no longer supported, so you get stuck running the older drivers. If its a desktop PC, i would recommend an upgrade, if its a laptop and you run windower, change your regedit to a lower number to help its performance. Not sure if you can do it not running windower, do some research on it, i am quite sure there are forums out there on it. Someone here may know better than I do on it, I dont wanna give bad info and end up blowing your computer up.
 Unicorn.Nymphadora
Server: Unicorn
user: Nympha
By Unicorn.Nymphadora 2009-11-23 03:23:23
Link | Quote | Reply

I run mine on Vista and it runs like a charm. (Not saying that I don't want to upgrade to 7 as soon as I get the chance because Vista in general is sluggish, just no ffxi related problems) I used to run it on an older pc with a nvidia card though and had to use that driver myself.
 Kujata.Maidak
By Kujata.Maidak 2009-11-23 04:13:25
Link | Quote | Reply

yes its a Hp Dv2000 laptop, Go 6150 graphics card with only a gig in a half of ram and i am basically running windows vista lite since i killed like all my services in the menu.
 Kujata.Maidak
By Kujata.Maidak 2009-11-23 04:17:44
Link | Quote | Reply

oh, another thing i know its not vista and someone on kujata installed that driver on his desktop and said it did improve fps, and yes i use windower and i run @ 1280x800 with 1280x1280 background res and honestly i've gone down to 1024 with not a single bit of improvement on fps

*edit* so i accomplished my attempt at installing that 167.17 driver or what not with the modded .inf from laptopvideo2go.com and managed 2 get blue screen of death so goin back to my orginal driver and stickin to it unless someone knows anything to help improve fps at all
 Cerberus.Katarzyna
Server: Cerberus
user: Katarzyna
By Cerberus.Katarzyna 2009-11-23 20:37:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Garuda.Antipika said:
$2 NVIDIA card, here is your problem. Drivers won't solve anything.

Fixed.