Forum » FFXI » NMs » Zha'Go's Barbut
Zha'Go's Barbut
 Garuda.Wooooodum
Server: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-07 16:42:18
Link | Quote | Reply

Zha'Go's Barbut is a really beautiful headpiece for COR and RNG, my primarily two main jobs. Statistically, it's currently the best piece in game available; as with everything else that improves my jobs, I really want one.

I've done a lot of reading about this item, and specifically how to obtain the pop items needed to enter the BCNM. From what I've established, it's going to take awhile to get them all, and even then, the drop isn't guaranteed. I was wondering if anyone has gotten this item and farmed the pop items themselves and wanted to ask a couple of questions before I devote my time into getting them.

1) Are the 8 NM's soloable by RDM/NIN? And if not, what would I need to get them?
2) Roughly how long do you think it would take to get a full set?
3) If you've done the BCNM itself, would you say it has a decent drop rate?
4) If you own one yourself, are you happy you got it and does it live up to expectation?

I would appreciate as much of your experience as you'd like to share, as I want to be sure that it's worth getting this before I put so much time into it. I plan on soloing the NMs that drop the pop items and getting friends to help me with the BCNM itself, if it's possible to do so.

Thanks in advance.
 Siren.Enternius
Server: Siren
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 16:46:04
Link | Quote | Reply

1) Yes, I do them all the time.
2) Well the NMs range from fairly easy to very time consuming with dangerous pulls.
3) Haven't done The Buried God in particular but from my experience with The Bloodbathed Crown, helms are dropped ~40-50% of the time.
4) Don't have one, but would gladly kill for one.

You'd do well to try out the NM Ga'Lhu Nevermolt (10% drop rate on Terror Shield, though I've never personally seen it drop) before taking on anything else. Safe fight area and the NM itself is rather easy. Though keep in mind it's a LV85~ PLD NM so it will cure itself. Recommend Chainspell at lower levels. Estimated fight time solo: 2 hours, 30 minutes.
[+]
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-07 16:51:20
Link | Quote | Reply

So all 8 of the NMs can be soloed, but some just take awhile? That's the answer I wanted to hear, although to make it perfect without the "will take awhile". xD

If they're soloable, then I will get this item even if it kills me. :(
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
Server: Caitsith
user: Bloodlust
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2009-11-07 16:51:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Estimated fight time solo: 2 hours, 30 minutes.

^Only if you really suck.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 16:52:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Caitsith.Ilolatyou said:

Without 2hr.
There's no reason to be an *** in this thread, come on.
[+]
 Asura.Ludoggy
Server: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-11-07 16:53:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Siren.Enternius said:
Caitsith.Ilolatyou said:

Without 2hr.
There's no reason to be an *** in this thread, come on.

If it's going to take you 2 and a half hours without 2 hour...might as well use it?
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2009-11-07 16:53:32
Link | Quote | Reply

Not attempting to be an ***, simply pointing out than any RDM that is good enough to successfully solo Ga'Lhu should be able to do it in much, much less than that. Without 2hr also.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-07 16:53:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Those are kind of fun events..I mean if you have a capped buffer and dont mind losing half your exp if you decide to low man it.

Im quite positive a rdm can solo alot of them but they can be quite the [bio]tch, be prepared to lose exp. You'll have to look up on the wiki at the testimonials on how people killed these things. I ran around with a bunch of blm/nins and a sch for some..we had a not exactly full alliance for others.

Im 6/8 in beaudeux currently, we did the bcnm once but its been a long time.

a full set for our alliance took a good 6-8 hours me thinks. We had some competition though. It can be quite the annoyance trying to get your group to places. Theres not many aggro free areas.

The bcnm itself isnt all that easy either but its alot of fun for smns and rngs.
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 16:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

When you have a PLD NM spamming Cure IV at 33% HP, for 400 HP every 30 seconds, DoT can't compete.

The only way to do it faster is to either get extremely lucky and hope it tries to Banish you like 30 times in a row, or 2hr.
[+]
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 16:56:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said:
Those are kind of fun events..I mean if you have a capped buffer and dont mind losing half your exp if you decide to low man it.

Im quite positive a rdm can solo alot of them but they can be quite the [bio]tch, be prepared to lose exp. You'll have to look up on the wiki at the testimonials on how people killed these things. I ran around with a bunch of blm/nins and a sch for some..we had a not exactly full alliance for others.

I can say with 100% confidence that every Beadeaux [S] NM is soloable, if you get good pulls.

Yagudo and Orcs are a different matter entirely.
[+]
 Caitsith.Ilolatyou
By Caitsith.Ilolatyou 2009-11-07 17:03:41
Link | Quote | Reply

Such a situation doesn't = 2h30 fight though. There really is no reason for the fight to take so long.

I've personally killed Ga'Lhu solo more than a few times, and my worst time was around 1h20. Bio, poison, regular nukes and dispelling any buffs he casts so he might recast them instead of curing himself make it a far shorter time than you make out.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-07 17:05:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Steal its mp first!!! Also mobs run out on there own eventually. Not sure viablity of not subbing nin for it though
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 17:06:21
Link | Quote | Reply

For some reason, the dispel thing never occurred to me.

And I'm not saying it takes me that long every time. Just that there's the possibility.

I've done it faster on SCH, also. ~30 minutes there.
[+]
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-11-07 17:08:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The BCNM for it sucks, the mega boss spams a AOE Petrifying move, and has this wierd aura, so you have to kite it untill it is down, Rangers are amazing for this BCNM, My SCNM LS went 2/5ish on the helmet, the NM's that drop the the pop items took a while to kill with a group of us, but i imagine you could soro them.
 Ramuh.Dasva
Server: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-11-07 17:09:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Oh yeah dispel is awesome on mobs like that... some mobs like say archmoth can pratically be locked into buffing themselves lol. SE really made some mobs dumb.
[+]
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-11-07 17:14:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Hades.Hiryo said:
The BCNM for it sucks, the mega boss spams a AOE Petrifying move, and has this wierd aura, so you have to kite it untill it is down, Rangers are amazing for this BCNM, My SCNM LS went 2/5ish on the helmet, the NM's that drop the the pop items took a while to kill with a group of us, but i imagine you could soro them.

smns are too because they dont die unlike rngs 8|

essentially if you have a good tank pt with alot of curers, just fill in all remaining spots with ranged attackers and you're good to go.
 Gilgamesh.Kamara
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Kamara
By Gilgamesh.Kamara 2009-11-07 17:18:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive fought the bcnm 5 times, its pretty easy with 12~14 competent people, never seen a barbut drop though :/
 Hades.Hiryo
Server: Hades
user: Hiryo
By Hades.Hiryo 2009-11-07 17:20:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Kujata.Daus said:
Hades.Hiryo said:

smns are too because they dont die unlike rngs 8|

essentially if you have a good tank pt with alot of curers, just fill in all remaining spots with ranged attackers and you're good to go.

Yeah i imagine they would be, We have a few BLM to nuke while he has his Aura up as well.
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-11-07 18:19:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Thanks for the replies, I will have to give this a try. :)
 Siren.Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-11-07 18:20:57
Link | Quote | Reply

If you need to know anything in particular about pulls, etc, feel free to send a PM.
[+]
 Bahamut.Phey
Server: Bahamut
user: buddumsp
By Bahamut.Phey 2009-11-07 18:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

I notice a faster shot rate which is very nice. Also you can't beat 8 rng attk and acc I love mine.
 Sylph.Jetu
Server: Sylph
user: Jetu
By Sylph.Jetu 2009-11-07 19:24:43
Link | Quote | Reply

my LS has done this fight many times, we are currently at 8/14 (if i recall correctly) for helm, so the drop rate isnt too bad

normaly farm the NM's as a LS & have all the pop items & the BC done in about 2hrs, that said it is sometimes easer to just lowman some of them as they wont spam TP as much

the way we did the fight was to have pld/nin kite the boss while another pld holds the babys while the DD's pick them off one by one, they die pretty quick
once all babies are dead we had the kiter come & streight tank it and had the blm's nuke off its glowing shell, then just mini zerged it down, its all in all a pretty easy fight if you keep its glowing shell off

rng & blm are the best DD's for the fight, but melee DD's work fine also

(sch is realy good for this fight as they can AoE stona ppl even if they arnt in their pt...if they arnt petrified themselves)

and the helm is everything i had hoped it would be, its fantastic
 Unicorn.Excesspain
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Excesspain 2009-11-23 08:24:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Sorry for the almost necro but I had to say...
Siren.Enternius said:
4) Don't have one, but would gladly kill for one.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn
Server: Quetzalcoatl
user: Dawnn
By Quetzalcoatl.Dawnn 2009-11-23 09:15:13
Link | Quote | Reply

i was in a linkshell that did these on a regular basis along with the gnadbhod's helm scnm

the NM's that drop the crates can be pretty crazy and as far as the bcnm it can be done with 12 people but id recommend a little more just in case

First a blm or two would cast Sleepga II

we would have a paladin go in and kite the main NM around the wall, to the northeast of the room i think

then the rest of the DD's would take out the mini's 1 by 1 taking whichever ones woke up first, if the blms or rdms have a hard time sleeping them then we would occasionally split up the dd's

once they were down we would go melee the main nm, but when his aura comes up we would lay back for a bit (dd's) and let him kite it

if your in range when it has its aura up it uses some crystal move that is AoE nd it really really stings =p

anyways wed just do that and generally get him down and hope for drop

ive seen the barbut drop a few times