WASD vs ARROWS
 Remora.Ninian
Server: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 00:50:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Feifongwong said:
Can use macros and move at the same time using a controller.

I don't generally chat that much in parties anyway.

Like I said, when you're used it, its a hell of a lot easier.

I see what you're saying, but I still think the delay between sifting through the macros with your controller and hitting the right one can be enough delay to kill you if you're like blink tanking, or enough of a delay for paralyze to kill a tank, or enough of a delay for someone to not get cured. That's just my opinion though, I think Keyboard would be faster no matter what the situation.
 Titan.Xantavia
Server: Titan
user: xantavia
By Titan.Xantavia 2009-10-10 00:54:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I gotta say controller. Started with PS2, then switched to a laptop after a year or so. I'm always afraid that playing by using the keyboard will wear it out (especially if I use the same keys over and over). Much easier to just get a new controller.
 Garuda.Feifongwong
Server: Garuda
By Garuda.Feifongwong 2009-10-10 00:54:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I tank as NIN all the time. I have also leveled WHM to 75. I don't think it causes all that much of delay.

But whatever the situation just play with the method you're best at, because switching methods is what will cause the most screw ups lol
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 00:57:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Feifongwong said:
I tank as NIN all the time. I have also leveled WHM to 75. I don't think it causes all that much of delay.

But whatever the situation just play with the method you're best at, because switching methods is what will cause the most screw ups lol

Interesting. I'm not good with the controller at all. I used to play on a PS2 years ago via menus and was also a WHM, it was fine for party use, never tried on an alliance. I really like my mud-esque playstyle though. I do agree that trying to switch causes major issues though! XD
 Odin.Liela
Server: Odin
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-10-10 00:58:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm a nut, I play on an xbox 360 (for now) but have a keyboard hooked up to it like a pc. On the keyboard, I use wasd. I never use a controller. lol xD
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 01:01:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Liela said:
I'm a nut, I play on an xbox 360 (for now) but have a keyboard hooked up to it like a pc. On the keyboard, I use wasd. I never use a controller. lol xD

o____o;

I'm going to assume you just don't have a PC or something. I actually got a PC just for FFXI... lol. ; ; You really should switch if you're able, Windower and such is a blessing.
 Odin.Liela
user: Liela
By Odin.Liela 2009-10-10 01:20:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Correct, I do not have a pc capable of playing FF. Yet. My laptop simply can't handle it, plus its screen is less than 12 inches lol
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 01:25:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Liela said:
Correct, I do not have a pc capable of playing FF. Yet. My laptop simply can't handle it, plus its screen is less than 12 inches lol

Well, I at least applaud you for playing it with a keyboard. That way someday you'll be used to it! I hope you're able to obtain a computer soon, and as soon as you do go download Windower. ^^
 Leviathan.Syla
Server: Leviathan
user: Syla
By Leviathan.Syla 2009-10-10 03:28:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Keyboard is for typing. I also started on PS2 and am so used to it. Besides it being easier to run in a specific direction because of the joystick, (easier for me, maybe not for some) I also find it easier to target things w/ the D-pad than trying to hit tab or shift+tab. I play on PC now and have a controller but I still play on my PS2 a lot also. Ask anyone that knows me, I'm a pretty damn good WHM despite playing on the so-called inferior PS2. And if having to sift through macros to get to a specific one is getting your tanks killed then I wouldn't blame the controller so much as I'd blame you for not anticipating a cure and knowing the general flow of battle. Controller ftw for me :)
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
Server: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2009-10-10 06:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

360 Controller on PC. Started using keyboard and found it too awkward so switched to controller,I find it much easier to mash buttons instead of keys.
 Siren.Clinpachi
Server: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 06:45:16
Link | Quote | Reply

I had this discussion a long time ago with some LS friends and it turns out I'm one of the few who use "Compact" keyboard settings under configuration.

I like being in total control of my camera and as i run with WSAD i use the actual arrow keys (not keypad ones) to turn my camera in sync to my heading.

The biggest reason for people mostly using the numpad arrows is for easier use of macros. I myself am also one of the few who manual or TYPE out things such as /ma "cure III" <personsname>. I type fast enough to pull it off, but that's just my typical case. I use macros but for things i rely on macro lag pisses me off, even if it's only for a few milliseconds.

All of this and peoples responses i read are fully preference or situational. I've used controllers and i have to say that I'm not a fan. Macro's are a nightmare on a controller R and L keys.
 Cerberus.Jaxson
Server: Cerberus
user: Jaxson
By Cerberus.Jaxson 2009-10-10 07:02:40
Link | Quote | Reply

I like using a wireless controller. Lets me sit back in class with it hidden under the table so my professors don't know that I'm gaming while I'm in class on our wireless network. Also, a lot easier to use macros on the controller because i can't reach from alt and ctrl to the number keys without making a mistake in the number i want, or having to pause for al ong time to think about what number, whereas i just know the position of all my macros because i arranged them in the way that made the most logical sense to me. No wrong numbers that way either, or worrying about accidentally knocking shift.
 Cerberus.Finalvegeta
Server: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Finalvegeta 2009-10-10 08:00:31
Link | Quote | Reply

WASD for moving and arrows for the camera.
 Ramuh.Kriple
Server: Ramuh
user: Kriple
By Ramuh.Kriple 2009-10-10 09:06:06
Link | Quote | Reply

I play on a controller because thats how I learned to play. My girlfriend plays on a keyboard using the "Compact" settings, and my roommates (roommate=Rowland) dad uses the mouse for the most part. Controller is just how I learned, but I have learned the compact controls from having to dual box my GF's account.
 Asura.Elvaton
Server: Asura
user: Elvaton
By Asura.Elvaton 2009-10-10 09:41:58
Link | Quote | Reply

controller > arrows/WASD because you can do everything on the controller
 Hades.Kvazz
Server: Hades
user: kvazz
By Hades.Kvazz 2009-10-10 09:49:22
Link | Quote | Reply

WASD, even if I'm not on my laptop.
Keyboard -> Controller.
You cant access macroes as fast on a controller, with the keyboard you can just spam alt+5 ect ect, alot faster than scrolling through them every time.
 Hades.Rictor
Server: Hades
user: Spoon
By Hades.Rictor 2009-10-10 09:54:43
Link | Quote | Reply

WASD! and Alt-S for saying something
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-10-10 11:33:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
I like being in total control of my camera and as i run with WSAD i use the actual arrow keys (not keypad ones) to turn my camera in sync to my heading.

The biggest reason for people mostly using the numpad arrows is for easier use of macros. I myself am also one of the few who manual or TYPE out things such as /ma "cure III" <personsname>. I type fast enough to pull it off, but that's just my typical case. I use macros but for things i rely on macro lag pisses me off, even if it's only for a few milliseconds.

As you say, it's all preferential, but I'm pretty damn sure you typing a macro, even if you can type at 200 words a minute is going to be slower than the "macro lag". I do type a lot of stuff out as well though, but it's mostly just na's and stuff like that 'cause I don't have proper macros for anything that's not blu/nin or blu/thf.

Also I use numpad with 2 or 3 fingers on my right hand and control the camera with my thumb on the arrow keys. My index finger switches between both numpad and arrow keys. I move the camera all the damn time, pretty sure most people watching me play would get nauseous. While I'm fighting I'm always moving the camera around in-between casting stuff, don't ask me why though O_o
 Kujata.Daus
Server: Kujata
user: Daus
By Kujata.Daus 2009-10-10 14:16:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ive never used a controller and I've never been comfortable with WSAD as Ive never been a pc gamer really until ffxi, wsad are hard to use.

so arrow keys ftw

I type most of my macros too, but only ones that dont use a number. Im too slow at typing ""s and IIIs...and those ones are always the ones that need gear swaps....or Ill be lazy and Ill just Dia III from the magic last.

/ma paralyna <t> and then using the games chat memory and the up key to spam it is faster then hitting a macro in my experience and you dont need any gear swaps for it. I mostly type -nas and refreshes or /ta tanksname that blinks alot. I dont use blinkmenot...people always recommend it but I evolved to get around blinking by typing so its just what Im comfortable with and Im just too lazy to install it. If I dont want to swap gears then I type, If I need to spam 5 -nas in a row then I type..if I need to hit a different alliance then I type..
 Ramuh.Haseyo
user: Haseyo
By Ramuh.Haseyo 2009-10-10 14:34:30
Link | Quote | Reply

I preferred a controller, granted I was 360 though, lol. I tried using a keyboard and it was hell.
 Unicorn.Cycl
Server: Unicorn
By Unicorn.Cycl 2009-10-10 14:35:43
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm not a fan of the compact keyboard while I'm on my desktop. Use num-keys for movement with my thumb on the arrow keys for camera (big hands, small keyboard, /yay). I enjoy being able to /cmode and type w/o hitting the spacebar.

edit: even though I have full macro sets for my spells, cntrl + up or cntrl + number always screws me up when trying to go between my macro sets...so i wind up typing out most of my spells and frantically trying to change my gear while the spell casts. ineffient yes, fun youbetcha.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | Quote | Reply

Post deleted by User.
 Phoenix.Baelorn
Server: Phoenix
user: Baelorn
By Phoenix.Baelorn 2009-10-10 14:50:01
Link | Quote | Reply

I hate WASD. It's very uncomfortable to use. NumPad is ftw.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 15:10:05
Link | Quote | Reply

Blazza said:
Clinpachi said:

As you say, it's all preferential, but I'm pretty damn sure you typing a macro, even if you can type at 200 words a minute is going to be slower than the "macro lag". I do type a lot of stuff out as well though, but it's mostly just na's and stuff like that 'cause I don't have proper macros for anything that's not blu/nin or blu/thf.

On WHM i cross heal the entire alliance and I am one of the few people capable of it before someone dies or worse, if you actually try to macro a cure for every alliance slot you'll use up several sets let alone anything else you would actually need. On a controller i can type /ma "Cure III" <persons name> just as fast if not faster than sifting through macros on a controller. That's the type macro lag I'm talking about (mental).

And yes, i type about 92 WPM at last check lol.

I've seen a few videos of RDM's manual typing commands and actually using menu's instead of pure macro reliance while soloing things. It's more reliable (unless you mistype every 2 seconds).

I don't do this for everything, mainly just WHM for people outside my party. I have already went to friend's houses or the fan festival live events where if i didn't know how to do these things i would have been royally screwed.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:12:53
Link | Quote | Reply

Clinpachi said:
On WHM i cross heal the entire alliance and I am one of the few people capable of it before someone dies or worse, if you actually try to macro a cure for every alliance slot you'll use up several sets let alone anything else you would actually need. On a controller i can type /ma "Cure III" <persons name> just as fast if not faster than sifting through macros on a controller. That's the type macro lag I'm talking about (mental).

And yes, i type about 92 WPM at last check lol.

I've seen a few videos of RDM's manual typing commands and actually using menu's instead of pure macro reliance while soloing things. It's more reliable (unless you mistype every 2 seconds).

I don't do this for everything, mainly just WHM for people outside my party. I have already went to friend's houses or the fan festival live events where if i didn't know how to do these things i would have been royally screwed.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only nut who types my WHM macros. D:
 Ramuh.Dasva
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2009-10-10 17:15:42
Link | Quote | Reply

I manually do stuff sometimes too. Especially on rdm. As is my normal pt or sleep nuke rdm uses a more then a full maccro book anyways add on say crazy extra stuff from different subs most notably /sch wackiness yeah to easy and fast to maccro if I can just shift thru. However if I need to gear swap with a spell/ja it is maccroed. unless its like day of the week/hp/weather crap.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:17:56
Link | Quote | Reply

For life or death situations involving people outside of your macro set, it makes or breaks a LOT of situations having the ability to manual type or menu like a mad man.

The only downfall is for high tense situations, i don't smoke but it really makes me want to lol.

It's all preference, who's to say someone couldn't do an equal job with a controller using R or L keys for macros, but with my experience... you have to hit/hold R/L and physically hit right or left to select the macro you want. If your cursor is on Macro CTRL-6, and you need to hit CTRL-0 you have to physically keep hitting left or right to get there then hit the button lol.

Hopefully anyone using a controller also has a keyboard handy for typing and macros in situations like that.
 Remora.Ninian
By Remora.Ninian 2009-10-10 17:18:52
Link | Quote | Reply

Dasva said:
I manually do stuff sometimes too. Especially on rdm. As is my normal pt or sleep nuke rdm uses a more then a full maccro book anyways add on say crazy extra stuff from different subs most notably /sch wackiness yeah to easy and fast to maccro if I can just shift thru. However if I need to gear swap with a spell/ja it is maccroed. unless its like day of the week/hp/weather crap.

Spellcast is greater than all. Yeah I know, I'm a cheater etc. :<
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2009-10-10 17:23:08
Link | Quote | Reply

Ninian said:
Dasva said:

Spellcast is greater than all. Yeah I know, I'm a cheater etc. :<

Man.. took the reply right out of my mouth XD When you manual and menu things spell cast is your best friend.
 Siren.Enternius
user: Enternius
By Siren.Enternius 2009-10-10 17:23:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Lol hey Clin! I just poked you like 30 seconds ago!