http://wave.google.com/help/wave/about.html#video

I'm pretty excited about this app.
 Ramuh.Krizz
Server: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 10:36:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Facebook, twitter, IM, e-mail, word, and I don't know what else.

I just got to 35 minutes into the video. The live streaming of what's being done is incredible. As is the ability for several (I think the count was up to 5 at the one point) to edit the same document at the same time all in real time.

The possibilities of this far surpass any collaboration tool I know of.

Edit: Typing in more than one language on the same document at the same time. That's interesting (and probably confusing).
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 10:45:15
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Wow that would be amazing for businesses and group projects when not everyone can be/meet in the same place, but yet have access to internet.

Yeah they mentioned people being in meetings taking notes on it. Then someone outside of the meeting puts a question after a particular note or something.

I can't wait to see how this impacts social networking and how it's implemented.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 10:46:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Not to mention it's all done in your web browser. They've used Safari, Firefox (I think), and the Android / iPhone mobile browsers.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 10:51:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
I've only watched the first 6 mins of it, but it sounds like it's an actual product you have to buy in a store? Or will it be free like gmail?

Well, like I said, it's in your browser. The API can actually be used in blogs and social networking sites. I doubt this will be something you have to pay for. Right now mainly developers get access to it. Once I'm done watching the video I may request access (there's a spot on the site to do it) just to play with it.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 11:19:47
Link | Quote | Reply

Almost an hour in. They've been showing off extensions they've built for the app. So far they've showed games (sudoku / chess) and maps. It's cool to be able to replay a game step by step.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 11:44:48
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
I've only watched the first 6 mins of it, but it sounds like it's an actual product you have to buy in a store? Or will it be free like gmail?

Oh, almost forgot. It is free. It's open source as well.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 11:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Rowland said:
Well that's kinda sexy.

I wonder how the security for it will be, easily hackable, etc?

Maybe it's a new entry point for people to get files off ones computer? o.o

Security hasn't been mentioned. I thought about that as well. Google seems pretty big on security so I'm pretty sure they've already put it in place. Of course, all new apps end up with security flaws. I think we'll just have to wait and see.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 12:01:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok, so way early in the demo they showed someone typing in a different language. Well not only can they type in a different language, there's an extension with something like 40 languages that can translate instantly as you type (corrects the structure of the translation as well). That in itself is incredible.
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
Server: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2009-10-09 12:06:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Wow, I didn't watch much of the video, but ***, it sounds awesome o-o Hope its free lol.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 12:15:24
Link | Quote | Reply

Ihm said:
Wow, I didn't watch much of the video, but ***, it sounds awesome o-o Hope its free lol.

I agree. I signed up requesting access to the developer sandbox. Hopefully I'll get lucky and be accepted.
 Ramuh.Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2009-10-09 12:27:11
Link | Quote | Reply

This is a good demo of an extension someone has created for Google Wave for their company. Scroll down some for the video.

http://blog.sforce.com/sforce/2009/09/getting-in-front-of-the-wave.html
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-10-09 16:42:58
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm so surprised that NO ONE is catching the Firefly references. T_T ARE THERE NO BROWNCOATS HERE?
 Seraph.Caiyuo
Server: Seraph
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-09 18:54:57
Link | Quote | Reply

Haven't watched the official Google video of Wave yet, but I've been keeping up with it between Lifehacker and Gina Trapani's personal site and am pretty excited. Between this and Google Voice I'm pretty much killing myself for not having invites to either, so until I can actually get my hands on it I'm reserving most of my excitement. Aside from that, I love Google a little more every day.

If anyone wants a shot at winning an invite Gina Trapani has a blog post about a contest to win one, where her experience with Wave has also been well documented: http://smarterware.org/

gtfo, Firefly!

p.s. hurray for bringing techy nerdism to ffxiah, Krizz!
 Ragnarok.Anye
Server: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-10-09 19:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Caiyuo said:
gtfo, Firefly!

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! D:
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-09 19:26:47
Link | Quote | Reply

hmm? *deep breath* gtfo, green bar!

Sure would be nice to have some grenades right now!
 Seraph.Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2009-10-19 18:07:38
Link | Quote | Reply

Got mienz Google Voice invite today! YOUR TURN WAVE, CALL ME, GOTS A NEW NUMBAH.