Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » BFG GTX 285OC
BFG GTX 285OC
 Hades.Dizzmal
Server: Hades
Game: FFXI
user: Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-10-07 13:18:21
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone have any exp with this card and FFXI? I want to put 2 of these in my current rig, but before I buy them I want to know how they run with FFXI first. I play other games on my current rig that requires higher end video cards. I am trying to avoid any more of the 8X00 problems that takes a year or so to be worked out like I had with my current setup.

I just want to be able to run the other games + FFXI on the same PC setup.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
Server: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-07 13:27:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I just bought a BFG GTX 275OC to replace my 9800GTX that died and it works wonderfully with FFXI. However keep in mind that FFXI does NOT utilize the GPU on these cards at all. All (99%) of the graphical processing is done through the CPU. So don't expect any real performance gains in FFXI.
 Hades.Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-10-07 14:05:56
Link | Quote | Reply

I don't expect to get any better than I'm getting with my current rig on FFXI . 27-29.5FPS in Whitegate @ AH. I'm just looking to upgrade to a new card for future games. Right now I'm @ 7.1 on windows expereince index and I would like to hit that 7.9 border.

I'm just trying to avoid the issuses I had with my 8800GTS X2 setup.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-07 14:11:43
Link | Quote | Reply

Dizzmal said:
I don't expect to get any better than I'm getting with my current rig on FFXI . 27-29.5FPS in Whitegate @ AH. I'm just looking to upgrade to a new card for future games. Right now I'm @ 7.1 on windows expereince index and I would like to hit that 7.9 border.

I'm just trying to avoid the issuses I had with my 8800GTS X2 setup.

Wait a sec, is that in vista that it says that? I could have sworn the rating capped at like 5.9 in vista. Unless you are on 7 in which case nevermind =P

I personally have no experience with crossfire or whatever the nvidia equivalent is. If that is the area you are having problems with or did with your 8800s
 Hades.Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-10-07 14:41:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Just went to 7 64bit. I didn't notice any different in the Sli mode(Crossfire) but it was with the cards themself. The problem I had was with a 64 bit Vista system, I tried going to XP, still had the same problem. I could put in an old 6800GTOC and it would run flawlessly. A year later poof .. problem gone. But for a year it was piss poor framrate(3-5FPS) with more than 5 people on screen, then after I finally got it halfway fixed 15-18FPS in Whitegate. Then I had the problem with the FPS skip, where ever 1-2 secs the framrate would just skip. Again I put an older card in, then no problem.

I have none of those problems now, but I rather not have that fight all over again.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-10-07 15:12:06
Link | Quote | Reply

Well I run Vista x64 with a 275OC and no problems like you describe if that helps at all. ~29FPS unless at whitegate auction house... but that really can't be helped.
 Hades.Dizzmal
By Hades.Dizzmal 2009-10-07 15:46:28
Link | Quote | Reply

ok. thanks for the Info. I haven't completly decided on which 2 cards I want. But I know it will be the 285+ cards