I Know We Said This Game Was Dying Before But....

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » General » I know we said this game was dying before but....
I know we said this game was dying before but....
 Leviathan.Vedder
Server: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-08-16 21:46:58
Link | Quote | Reply

Have to agree with the above two posts, plenty to do regardless of whether old/new content. The issue is where are you in wanting to do things. Maybe try the above suggestions or <Taking a break.> time has come. Lotsa ppl unsub for awhile and comeback refreshed, some don't. Look into what you feel you wanna do. Game ain't going anywhere awhile yet.

Somewhat related note, how many servers are still active? I never much pay attention as I play when I have time and can enjoy the content that exists. Hell, despite having a well geared drk its still not mastered yet, none of the 4-5 jobs I have geared are lol. Blm cor and rune an nin can all cp easily so once I'm at a point I want to or have time to I will.

Mmos are marathons, not a sprint, enjoy the scenery.
By ocean 2017-08-16 21:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
If you have nothing to do, look deeply at yourself and ask yourself if you really want to be doing something.

I have as close to everything as anyone I know, and I could still easily fill another 500 hours acquiring new things without touching RME.

The problem isn't a lack of content, it's a lack of motivation. If farming new gear or improving a new job feels like work, maybe it's time for you to take a break.

Would you mind providing some examples?
 Odin.Drakenv
Server: Odin
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-16 21:57:17
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
If you have nothing to do, look deeply at yourself and ask yourself if you really want to be doing something.

I have as close to everything as anyone I know, and I could still easily fill another 500 hours acquiring new things without touching RME.

The problem isn't a lack of content, it's a lack of motivation. If farming new gear or improving a new job feels like work, maybe it's time for you to take a break.
I have to agree. What keeps me going is crafting and RMEAs. Never enough it's like Pokémon gotta collect them all. One day I'll step into omen one day...
[+]
By Kuwoobie 2017-08-16 22:22:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
They want you to move over to Final Fantasy XIV.

I've joined FFXIV so many times and never made it through more than a few days. As much as I love the style and atmosphere of it all, I just can't get into it. I keep coming up with excuses like "well, when I have a PS4 I'll play it on that" or "tch. There's no red mages?" -- but now I have a PS4, and there are red mages now...

Whenever I join though, I just feel so overwhelmed. I never thought it would be possible for a game to have too much to do. Just being on makes me wish I was playing FFXI instead, but then I get on FFXI I wish I was playing FFXI in 2004/2006.

I might give FFXIV another go sometime soon now that I have a new gaming laptop that can probably run it properly. I think the biggest thing that stops me from playing is simply not having the same motivation I used to have to play an MMO for extended hours.
 Phoenix.Libbien
Server: Phoenix
user: Alttp
By Phoenix.Libbien 2017-08-16 22:35:55
Link | Quote | Reply

Leviathan.Vedder said: »
Have to agree with the above two posts, plenty to do regardless of whether old/new content. The issue is where are you in wanting to do things. Maybe try the above suggestions or <Taking a break.> time has come. Lotsa ppl unsub for awhile and comeback refreshed, some don't. Look into what you feel you wanna do. Game ain't going anywhere awhile yet.

Somewhat related note, how many servers are still active? I never much pay attention as I play when I have time and can enjoy the content that exists. Hell, despite having a well geared drk its still not mastered yet, none of the 4-5 jobs I have geared are lol. Blm cor and rune an nin can all cp easily so once I'm at a point I want to or have time to I will.

The only active server is asura with a few others with at least decent shout activity. That said, the real question is how many active ls's are out there. Phoenix is dead from a shout perspective, but the ls im in is alive and well because of a constant flow of events. We mix it up and do all sorts of stuff for all sorts of people. We were only restrictive on aeonic farming, but even that has opened up a bit for us.

Not saying we're perfect or are for everyone, but being a social shell with new and returning players while mixed with legit end game players offers a wide variety of content if people are willing to lend a hand and our people are. Keep end game events for end game players and experiment on lower level stuff for returning ones. If nothing else it adds a different challenge when tackling content with people of varying skill and gear.
By Draylo 2017-08-16 23:37:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I love this game, its so fun :)
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-08-16 23:43:20
Link | Quote | Reply

Draylo said: »
I love this game, its so fun :)
Not sure if sarcastic, or serious..
I agree however the game is great + I like a lot of the ppl
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-08-16 23:47:36
Link | Quote | Reply

Phoenix.Libbien said: »
Leviathan.Vedder said: »

The only active server is asura with a few others with at least decent shout activity. That said, the real question is how many active ls's are out there. Phoenix is dead from a shout perspective, but the ls im in is alive and well because of a constant flow of events. We mix it up and do all sorts of stuff for all sorts of people. We were only restrictive on aeonic farming, but even that has opened up a bit for us.

Not saying we're perfect or are for everyone, but being a social shell with new and returning players while mixed with legit end game players offers a wide variety of content if people are willing to lend a hand and our people are. Keep end game events for end game players and experiment on lower level stuff for returning ones. If nothing else it adds a different challenge when tackling content with people of varying skill and gear.
As far as Shouts going to be the baseline for "Active" I can not agree. Population alone does not make a server more active, it is active players who are not in town shouting for crap all day that does. Any server with a large number of LS groups would not need to shout. If you have a bunch of ppl looking for things to do that imo is a clear sign of inactive and unmotivated ppl who are unable to organize a group on their own. It is a give and take perspective as you can easily argue the opposite as true. More content without a bottleneck would show more if a server is active or dead.
To each their own and I support those who want to shout and get a group of ppl together to get something done. I also would rather have 2 or 3 LSs who I can pull from to get members I know and work well with to do that same and more often in a much faster time frame.
[+]
 Bahamut.Soraishin
Server: Bahamut
user: Soraishin
By Bahamut.Soraishin 2017-08-17 02:13:24
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm coming to Asura
[+]
 Asura.Vienner
Server: Asura
By Asura.Vienner 2017-08-17 02:37:41
Link | Quote | Reply

After 10 years of playing, I've only mastered one job (a job which I dont play), I've got one empy and one relic (for a job I dont play). Working on a Mythic (for a job I play) which at this rate will be finished in 2020.
I havent +2'd or w/e any of my ambuscade gear, I rarely craft, I've only +2'd 2 piece of AF and I've never won from an Omen boss lol...yet I'm online every day. Wth do I do online anyways ><
 Asura.Syto
user: Sessho
By Asura.Syto 2017-08-17 03:18:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Buukki,.. taking a break and giving time away always helps you reflect and realize how much more you could be doing ingame. I think you're burned out in reality and need to get away for a bit. When you come back you will have several things on your mind to want to accomplish... Or.. you could just have challenged yourself to move away completely.

Let the distance draw you back in.. People do it in relationships all the time..
[+]
 Sylph.Ice
Server: Sylph
user: Ice
By Sylph.Ice 2017-08-17 04:15:39
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vienner said: »
After 10 years of playing, I've only mastered one job (a job which I dont play), I've got one empy and one relic (for a job I dont play). Working on a Mythic (for a job I play) which at this rate will be finished in 2020.
I havent +2'd or w/e any of my ambuscade gear, I rarely craft, I've only +2'd 2 piece of AF and I've never won from an Omen boss lol...yet I'm online every day. Wth do I do online anyways ><

Nothing obviously.
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2017-08-17 05:16:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldnt say I do nothing. I get easily sidetracked though, and I always take a lot of time to finish what I started. ...I do spend a lot of time talking in game though.
 Bahamut.Tychefm
Server: Bahamut
user: Lyramion
By Bahamut.Tychefm 2017-08-17 06:08:31
Link | Quote | Reply

Dark Matter campaign IS content
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-08-17 08:46:03
Link | Quote | Reply

Great point Syto. Did kyou run last night and timed out. Rolled my six random dark matter augments which were all herculean for pets. This is content? OK

Then I logged. I felt bad for logging in. I started refarming cards for ranger. Maybe that will spark my interest in gearing a new job. Maybe
 Asura.Splendid
user: BlindLis
By Asura.Splendid 2017-08-17 08:52:04
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Vienner said: »

I'm right there with you. Just taking the game at my own pace working on my first Mythic ten years after the fact. I'll get there eventually. No rush. ;)

I do think the OP needs to take a breakga for sure. Agents of Mayhem is hella fun.
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-08-17 10:47:22
Link | Quote | Reply

No one is forcing you to bulldoze aeonic cycles with the exact same strategy every damn time. Sure, it might be the most efficient, but at this point in the game, there's usually 3 ways to kill anything in the game, with only a few exceptions. So challenge your groups, let people play different jobs, and try a RNG Schah.....or if you've never done a AC burn, try it once so those SMNs in your shell can feel like gods for a minute.

Blazed, you hit it on the head when you said you were bored because you were steamrolling things...well, have your shell do something idiotic like gear up BSTs and try an aeonic round that way....ok maybe not THAT crazy......but you get the idea.

We're well past the point of "you must do it this way or you will die"- be stupid, be crazy, and laugh a bit on that discord call instead of it being all business.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-08-17 11:21:27
Link | Quote | Reply

I'd personally like to see 8 highly geared melee DD White Mages take on Reisenjima T4's - with support of course.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-17 11:26:11
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
I'd personally like to see 8 highly geared melee DD White Mages take on Reisenjima T4's - with support of course.
I got your melees right here.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-08-17 11:29:25
Link | Quote | Reply

Is that supposed to be a substitute for actual content this game should have available? Gear up impracticable job combinations just for the sake of mixing it up, and call it fun?

Wow.
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-08-17 11:34:28
Link | Quote | Reply

I wouldn't kill NMs with different jobs for the sake of killing it with different jobs. I could solo delve on scholar .. but it doesn't mean it's going to be anymore fun than jumping on my DRK and taking a few people who want the clear. At this point of the game .. if you're really struggling to find something fun, you either have to take a break, or find players who could benefit from your help.

For the longest time in this game all I did was help others before I helped myself (even though I was the gimpiest DRK on the block). Now you're in a position where you don't really need anything, others could benefit from your experience. Obviously don't hold their hand .. or take anyone who is ungrateful, but at least consider bringing some of the nicer players in your linkshells up to speed if they have the time.

If that's not appealing to you, then I can see why you are stuggling. Like I said before, you've destroyed this game to the point there's nothing left. You need some downtime so you can come back refreshed, and hopefully by then there's new (or rehashed "new") things to do.
[+]
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-08-17 11:44:39
Link | Quote | Reply

You guys are spoiled and clearly have no recollection of how life in the game used to be the 'generation' before this one. Back in the day, you were lucky to see a single version update a year - let alone quality of life adjustments/campaigns every freaking month.

We made do with what the game offered (as others have already stated above) and there was always projects to work on, just like there are now.

Now this may seem like a "I walked 10 miles uphill in the snow without shoes on" speech, but it is what it is. The amount of content (things to do) or whatever you want to label it as now days makes the first decade of this game look like it was in Beta phase of development still.
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-08-17 11:47:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
You guys are spoiled and clearly have no recollection of how life in the game used to be the 'generation' before this one. Back in the day, you were lucky to see a single version update a year - let alone quality of life adjustments/campaigns every freaking month.

We made do with what the game offered (as others have already stated above) and there was always projects to work on, just like there are now.

Now this may seem like a "I walked 10 miles uphill in the snow without shoes on" speech, but it is what it is. The amount of content (things to do) or whatever you want to label it as now days makes the first decade of this game look like it was in Beta phase of development still.
I agree
[+]
By Afania 2017-08-17 12:26:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
Is that supposed to be a substitute for actual content this game should have available? Gear up impracticable job combinations just for the sake of mixing it up, and call it fun?

Wow.

If you are looking for new content and kill ***all the time, then maybe give FFXIV a try. The way they design it is that, they bump up the content level every couple of months. So the players are constantly grinding newest gears, and do the newest content.

It feels like the purpose of the gear in ffxiv is to unlock your access to newer content so you get to kill newer ***. And the entire purpose of the game is to kill ***, gear is just there to boost your gear score so you can do them.

FFXI has a lot more different elements that it's not just about raid. These elements includes social and connection building, extreme level of min maxing a job(gonna get all 2 billion gil HQ+DM augs), quests for additional stats bonus(soa +1 rings, cheer effects, all vorseals unlocks etc), experimenting new play style or setup, and so much more.

All of these activities can take massive amount of time but it's not required for progression nor raid. You can skip all of them and still beat T4.

Therefore if kill ***/raid/progression is all you want but you don't enjoy other gameplay element in FFXI, you may run out of things to do very fast.

I can tell you 10 things that you can do or try in FFXI but probably haven't done. But it's not going to help if you don't enjoy doing them to begin with.

My biggest in game goal is probably beating SL MT as RDM main healer just to prove it can be done, but idk if I can ever convince people to let me try that without another 300hr of connection/trust building and practicing .-.

And yes, 8 whm meleeing T4 is fun as hell, FFXI allows player to do things like this is why it's my favorite MMO.
[+]
 Bismarck.Nickeny
Server: Bismarck
user: Nickeny
By Bismarck.Nickeny 2017-08-17 13:07:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Kinda getting that ffxi fatigue lately and have been trying to shake it off. Hardest thing atm to do is finding things enjoyable outside of aeonic farming... but now im at the point id have to level a new job to make one.

I guess i could take a aeonic break to make a new rem but... no motivation
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-08-17 13:31:50
Link | Quote | Reply

Just take a break and play something else.

Single biggest mistake I see people do is burn themselves out by making FFXI the centerpiece of their life. That's extremely bad and leads to burnout, depression followed by anger.

Right now I'm playing,

Final Fantasy III on DS
Final Fantasy I / II DoS (with rom mods)

Planar Conquest / Master of Magic
Might and Magic IV / VI / VII

Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac version with English Translation patch

And then picked up Dark Spire for DS and rolling a new party for some hard core dungeon grinding.

When I get some time I'll be finishing Legendary Heroes Trails in the Sky Chapter 2 in preparation for Chapter 3. I also have at least another dozen games I can jump into for a different experience.

They key is to constantly have different experiences and never get too wrapped up in FFXI.
[+]
 Cerberus.Kylos
Server: Cerberus
user: Kylos
By Cerberus.Kylos 2017-08-17 13:44:26
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Saevel said: »

Single biggest mistake I see people do is burn themselves out by making FFXI the centerpiece of their life. That's extremely bad and leads to burnout, depression followed by anger.

Right now I'm playing,

Final Fantasy III on DS

And then picked up Dark Spire for DS and rolling a new party for some hard core dungeon grinding.

When I get some time I'll be finishing Legendary Heroes Trails in the Sky Chapter 2 in preparation for Chapter 3. I also have at least another dozen games I can jump into for a different experience.

They key is to constantly have different experiences and never get too wrapped up in FFXI.

Could not agree anymore with this statement. If you find yourself only playing FFXI and doing nothing else aside from work, eat, and sleep, then you really need to take a step back and look for other options. There's such thing as having too much of a good thing, and even the best things in life become monotonous after doing it over and over .. even hot chicks. Yes .. some get sick of their wives/husbands so they cheat. I'm not saying cheating is good .. but you're not married to FFXI so you can get away with it.
[+]
 Fenrir.Cherrywine
Server: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Cherrywine 2017-08-17 13:45:30
Link | Quote | Reply

This approach is working great for the FFXI dev team, at least.
[+]
 Fenrir.Ramzus
Server: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2017-08-17 13:47:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky Second Chapter in preparation for The Third. I also have at least another dozen games I can jump into for a different experience.

sorry you triggered my trails autism

(good series though)
By Blazed1979 2017-08-17 13:48:42
Link | Quote | Reply

Right now I'm playing,

Final Fantasy III on DS

I used to be able to look forward to what I class as good games on the PS2/PS3 every now and then. Adventure/RPG/Action games such as Darksiders. They were great burn-out remedies. But for the past 10-15 years its just been FPS after FPS none-stop, and I can't stand them. No more devil may cry, no more god of war, no more fable..even the FF titles went south in my opinion after FF12.
I have FFXV still in its plastic wrapping. Had it 2 weeks before release and just can't bring myself to open it or bother trying. The reviews I read told me this game wasn't for me.

I think I'm done with gaming after FFXI.

FFXIV is trash.

And agree with everyone who is saying too much FFXI is not good.
You can always tell when you're too immersed in it. Trivial things in the game get blown out of proportion, you're easily irritated, you start to have less and less tolerance for mistakes. You either put on a ***ton of weight from lack of movement, or drop a ***ton from not getting any food into your system. And people start to tell you you look like ***lol.