users online
Forum » FFXI » General » Can't update payment information
Can't update payment information
 Lakshmi.Buukki
Server: Lakshmi
Game: FFXI
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 10:20:13
Link | Quote | Reply

Anyone having issues with SE account management? My CC was unusually cancelled this morning (got the email) and my account shows cancelled. When I try to update my CC on file, it says error etc. If I try to buy crysta (using PAYPAL), it gives me the thank you message, but never asks me to log into Paypal. The same error message I get if I try to use a CC to buy crysta.

I now cannot log into ffxi because it's cancelled. Any idea what's going on?
 Asura.Avallon
Server: Asura
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-18 10:36:34
Link | Quote | Reply

Paypal works fine when logging in from outside of SE's Account Management site. I can confirm that trying to add Crysta through Paypal while using Account Management brings up the message Buukki stated.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-18 10:43:23
Link | Quote | Reply

Lakshmi.Buukki said: »
My CC was unusually cancelled this morning (got the email) and my account shows cancelled.
It worked!!....

I mean....

Um.....

{That's too bad.}
 Leviathan.Isiolia
Server: Leviathan
user: Isiolia
By Leviathan.Isiolia 2017-07-18 10:52:43
Link | Quote | Reply

If I recall correctly, if SE's payment system tried to charge a cancelled or bad card it'll have a waiting period before you can try a different payment method. Repeatedly attempting it while it's locked just adds time to it. So you may be able to update the card info if you wait a few days (or contact support to check).

Not sure on Paypal for Crysta.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-18 11:05:28
Link | Quote | Reply

That's correct on the repeated attempts at using a bad CC, but adding Crysta to your account will satisfy the bill and allow immediate access to gameplay.

The problem now is the option to add Crysta via Paypal is currently borked on SE's Account Management site. I generally use Crysta for my accounts since I'm a regular Paypal user, so I too got the error page since one of my bills is due late tonight. But what I did instead was just change the billing option from Crysta to the very card I'm using to add Crysta in the first place >_> and it accepted it (not charged).

We'll see late tonight if there's an error charging the card due to w/e problem SE is having atm.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:08:39
Link | Quote | Reply

I'm on the phone right now with support. The crysta option is weird. I did it twice, but didn't get a paypal login.

Now im starting to fear it will charge my paypal account twice (unless it can't because I didn't log in). I've used paypal before, so it may be saved to my account (I hope not).
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:20:48
Link | Quote | Reply

24 hour block on my account. call support can't do anything.

so unprofessional.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-18 11:23:07
Link | Quote | Reply

so unprofessional.
Did you talk to a manager?
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-18 11:24:31
Link | Quote | Reply

so unprofessional.

What the hell. Why?

Did you get kicked off the game because the charge tried to go through on your registered card and it didn't? So the block is a result of you trying to charge it again?

Or is it because you tried to add Crysta multiple times?
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:36:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Some kid on the line said the system is automated, and any additional attempts to charge with a new card while the old one failed causes a lockout of the account. I think he was lying, because I said I only tried it once, then I told him I tried Crysta and that failed. he told me that my internet access was not stable, and that I should disable popup blockers to allow the paypal window to load properly. This is false because Avallon stated he noticed the same issue.

I didn't ask to speak to a manager. Should I? He said its standard policy to lock the account for multiple cc attempts, and there's nothing they can do on their end....

I just don't believe it.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:37:45
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Avallon said: »
Did you get kicked off the game because the charge tried to go through on your registered card and it didn't? So the block is a result of you trying to charge it again?

My guess is, I got a new card in the mail recently, and activated it. it has a new expiration date, but same card number. When I got the email this morning, I went to update the card, but it said the error message. So not sure if the lock is due to the old or new cc
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-18 11:42:05
Link | Quote | Reply

I didn't ask to speak to a manager. Should I? He said its standard policy to lock the account for multiple cc attempts, and there's nothing they can do on their end....
Yes. Especially if you don't trust the information you were given.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-18 11:42:20
Link | Quote | Reply

If the Paypal function within SE's site worked properly you could get in the game regardless of the lockout. This is because the very same card in question is going through a middle man (Paypal) to get funds into your account (Crysta) and thus SE is getting their money.

This has nothing to do with your internet. SE needs to fix this issue when being rerouted to Paypal from within their site.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:44:44
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so he's lying. I thought so. FTR I tried adding crysta from Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, so its definitely not my browser. Even tried at work with a stable connection.

I'll call back and speak to a manager. I think they are just being lazy and telling me to "try again tomorrow".
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-07-18 11:44:59
Link | Quote | Reply

My guess is, I got a new card in the mail recently, and activated it. it has a new expiration date, but same card number. When I got the email this morning, I went to update the card, but it said the error message. So not sure if the lock is due to the old or new cc
It's probably because you activated your new card, and (not knowing what bank and/or credit card company you deal with) your bank/credit card company locked out the old one's number.

I know that American Express doesn't do that, and has a 6 month grace period after activating new card that allows old card to continue to charge. They just let you know through emails that you need to update your info. But they accept both numbers for 6 months.

Not sure about Visa/Mastercard/Discover though.

Edit: Could be my card though, since I am using a platnium card.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:52:16
Link | Quote | Reply

On phone again. Refusing to let me speak to a mgr. Stating he will walk through every step before he "sees who is available".
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-18 11:53:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok so he's lying. I thought so. FTR I tried adding crysta from Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, so its definitely not my browser. Even tried at work with a stable connection.

I'll call back and speak to a manager. I think they are just being lazy and telling me to "try again tomorrow".

When I came back to the game years ago after a break, I tried using one of those re-loadable VISA gift cards to pay for my account (since I still had money on it), but SE's system at the time (routing the user to UltimatePay or Click&Buy, or some 3rd party site) wouldn't accept the card. Well I had forgotten about the lockout thing and after repeated attempts to use the gift card I realized I was screwed for several days.

I then used that same gift card to buy Crysta through Paypal and was able to get in the game immediately. Once SE addresses and fixes that problem you'll be fine in playing again.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 11:57:50
Link | Quote | Reply

I then used that same gift card to buy Crysta through Paypal and was able to get in the game immediately. Once SE addresses and fixes that problem you'll be fine in playing again.

Yeah I'd like to just add a good few months worth of Crysta and just do it that way. Or if there were another way outside of using a CC.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 12:03:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I don't know who this kid they hired is but he's lying through his teeth.

He's saying because I have a new card, this is a Japanese company and its an online purchase, the card is being blocked by my bank because they reset any restrictions they may have lifted on the previous card.

He also is stating the 24hour block has increased to a 48 hour block due to the repeated attempts. In regards to crysta, he has no explanation but just keeps saying "You cant buy crysta until the block is lifted".

On hold for mgr. So disappointing.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-18 12:09:07
Link | Quote | Reply

Ok I don't know who this kid they hired is but he's lying through his teeth.

He's saying because I have a new card, this is a Japanese company and its an online purchase, the card is being blocked by my bank because they reset any restrictions they may have lifted on the previous card.

He also is stating the 24hour block has increased to a 48 hour block due to the repeated attempts. In regards to crysta, he has no explanation but just keeps saying "You cant buy crysta until the block is lifted".

On hold for mgr. So disappointing.

BS. Both my characters are logged in game now and I tried to add Crysta to my account earlier but got the error message also. Since I've been paying for my accounts with Crysta, there wasn't (technically) a credit card on file to reject due to payment issue(s).

They're not acknowledging that there is a routing problem on their Account Management site when trying to add Crysta to your account via the Paypal button.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 12:13:21
Link | Quote | Reply

No manager available. They said they can reduce the block to "2 hours from the end of this call". I was also told to call my bank and have them allow any restrictions from the card to be lifted, and to process any payments from SE two hours from now.

This all sounds like ***. He even admitted that "on his end, he didn't see any attempts to purchase crysta through paypal". He just ignored that part and is telling me to not add crysta on the website, and just re-try the card in two hours.

I guess I'll wait til I get home from work, but there's a back and forth going on and nobody at SE is addressing the problem on their website.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-07-18 12:20:50
Link | Quote | Reply

The block thing is correct. They don't block cards though, they block payment from an account. Repeated attempts lengthen the block even if valid, nobody will remove it, and if you keep trying you can push it up near a month. It won't go up by 24 hours at a time for very long. It's done by a third party company that does fraud prevention for them(sloppily).

Paypal doesn't necessarily bypass the lock either. However, should paypal fail to bypass the lock, you would be getting an error message similar to the credit card one.

From what I've seen the Paypal screen being entirely skipped is often a browser issue and can sometimes by resolved by simply changing browsers, clearing cookies, and trying again. It will not charge your paypal multiple times, so don't worry about that. Not sure how it interacts with the lock, my advice is to (unfortunately) wait it out for at least 24 hours past when they said it would wear before trying again.

edit: Didn't see the post that a representative reduced the block. Never heard of that being done before, but with it effecting FFXIV it's possible they improved the policy. Still would make sure you're a fair bit over the time they told you to avoid retriggering the automated blocks.
 Lakshmi.Buukki
By Lakshmi.Buukki 2017-07-18 12:24:21
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used three browsers and neither allows the pop-up screen for crysta purchases. Even disabled add block.
 Asura.Avallon
By Asura.Avallon 2017-07-19 10:53:35
Link | Quote | Reply

I've used three browsers and neither allows the pop-up screen for crysta purchases. Even disabled add block.

My payment came out last night normally despite having changed from the non-functioning Paypal option to my CC.

Did your situation get sorted? I'm guessing it was because of your card being new.