New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Torn
Torn
By Faineant 2017-06-29 12:50:09
Link | Quote | Reply

Hi all,

I'm a returning player (2007 era) who recently dinged 99 on a few jobs. I'm working my way through the intermediate ROE's dressed in full sparks gear and getting to the point where I need to decide on a main job.

When I played in 2007, my first 75 was DRK. But now, I'm torn between Thief, Warrior or DRK. I still like the idea of DRK, but I remember back in the day waiting hours upon hours for groups and I don't want that to happen again. I want to play a job that has some attractiveness to groups but isn't a bandwagon job (ala BLU.)

I'd like to hear if you guys would suggest drk as a first job or if I should go another way.

Thanks
 Shiva.Arislan
Server: Shiva
Game: FFXI
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-06-29 13:01:16
Link | Quote | Reply

Bad news buddy: DRK and WAR are the new bandwagon. /comfort
[+]
 Asura.Lokimaru
Server: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2017-06-29 13:05:22
Link | Quote | Reply

Every DPS job aside from MNK, NIN, and DNC are bandwagon right now.

Just play what you want and don't worry about everyone else!
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
Server: Leviathan
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-29 13:06:44
Link | Quote | Reply

DO Dark, Just understand you can use trust, and Solo most normal content until Delve/vagary/incursion

Sparks is fine to get until you can 119 your Af/relic/emp and make sure you do all quest, missions, and every thing you can to cap your capacity point bonus. Look into that on BG.

Can get easy gear with the help of an LS or just a few shout ppl, as well as Ambuscade... DO not pass up Ambu!

If you want to drk and war and thf (can have more than 1 job and is viable to be fluid for most groups) then do them all. Will cost you time and gil if you want things asap, or else build as you go.

Read as much on the dark forums as you can for goals and if you need to make certain gil and dont want to craft your own befriend someone who can. Cap merits and do VE HTB and Macro/microcosmic orb fights and get a JSE weapon and back and work your way up as you go to AG relic/emp/mythics and Aeonics. It is a game, enjoy the grind.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-06-29 13:48:20
Link | Quote | Reply

calm down... Natalie Imbruglia...

YouTube Video Placeholder

Faineant said: »
"When I played in 2007 I remember waiting hours upon hours for groups and I don't want that to happen again."

Well I can't say that standing around and waiting for people to shout for things that you want to do has gotten any better since you left...

and with your poor attitude, complete lack of leadership skills and inability to adapt to changing environments I'm going to suggest that you try WoW....FFXI might just not be for you.

You can lead, and play whatever job you want or you can follow and play whatever bandwaggon job they want. Or you can get out of the way....and stfu about it is always appreciated.

I know you.
You want to go the easy route, but make it seem like you worked real hard, you want a group to pull you up through the last eight years you missed... but you don't want feel obligated to help any of them in return.

Go swipe your mom's credit card out of her purse and buy a merc to hold your hand through it kid because we're sick of hearing about it.

also fu.
[+]
 Asura.Faineant
user: Faineant
By Asura.Faineant 2017-06-29 14:06:01
Link | Quote | Reply

Shiva.Nikolce said: »

nt, but you read me completely wrong. Hoping this is guy just a bad turd in an otherwise helpful community!

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
. . .

Thanks for the tips. I really should find a linkshell. It would be fun to work on some early 99 content with others in my position too.
 Shiva.Eightball
By Shiva.Eightball 2017-06-29 14:08:41
Link | Quote | Reply

I was waiting for that vid to pop up here lol.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2017-06-29 14:09:56
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Faineant said: »

nt, but you read me completely wrong. Hoping this is guy just a bad turd in an otherwise helpful community!

Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
. . .

Thanks for the tips. I really should find a linkshell. It would be fun to work on some early 99 content with others in my position too.

If you can give a breakdown of where you are at, gear/missions etc and what you are going for can help with small easy enough to obtain options but primary goal is 119 gear, max merits and macros + trust. Once that is done can suggest more options like augment gear from escha, unity gear, and abj (also escha but more diff to get) Also read the forums and ask in there for more specific set ideas.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-29 14:16:46
Link | Quote | Reply

Asura.Lokimaru said: »
Every DPS job aside from MNK, NIN, and DNC are bandwagon right now.

Just play what you want and don't worry about everyone else!
SMN is super bandwagon though.

SMN all the things!
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2017-06-29 14:17:52
Link | Quote | Reply

just a bad turd flowing down a sewer of unhappiness

I'm almost afraid to ask what qualifies one as a good turd...

do I need to eat more peanuts? or corn?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-06-29 15:01:00
Link | Quote | Reply

just a bad turd flowing down a sewer of unhappiness

I'm almost afraid to ask what qualifies one as a good turd...

do I need to eat more peanuts? or corn?
Buffalo wings.
 Leviathan.Vedder
By Leviathan.Vedder 2017-06-29 22:26:10
Link | Quote | Reply

There are some guides out already on bgwiki for returning players start there. War is stronger in the highest end game setups but drk can handle itself better in lower end stuff and still is very very competitive with war and both wear similar gear so no reason not to do both. Thf will probably do better in underbuffed situations but I can't say, don't know many if any ppl that bring it out to things to really say.

Of the three you listed I would choose drk, but I have a high bias in that regard