FFXI Causing Graphics Card Resets/hangs

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2023-11-19
users online
Forum » Everything Else » Tech Support » FFXI causing graphics card resets/hangs
FFXI causing graphics card resets/hangs
 Ragnarok.Notvidya
Server: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: notvidya
By Ragnarok.Notvidya 2017-06-09 17:03:26
Link | Quote | Reply

For the past month and a half I've been plagued with FFXI causing graphics card errors that either cause the computer to hang indefinitely on a white/grey screen or reset the card with the error "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has recovered." As far as I can tell it's not temperature related as speccy's measurements never move much even during intense battle animation spam. With that said the majority of crashes do tend to happen during battles when a lot of effects are going off constantly. Computer specs can be found in DxDiag below.

A short list of things I've done to try and remedy this would be:
  • Disabling shadows and weather effects in XI and enabling Graphics Stabilization.

• Setting my PCIE Link State Power Managment option to "Off."

• Completely removed and performed clean installation of nvidia drivers.

• Set my PhysX processor to my graphics card (GTX 570).

• Completely reinstalling Windows 7.

And probably a few other things I'm forgetting. I'm not too sure what else to say so I'll just attach one of the crash logs and my DxDiag under this.

Crash Log

DxDiag
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-09 17:07:51
Link | Quote | Reply

This is the dreaded 'nvidia crash' experienced playing ffxi with any drivers on almost any nvidia card. It's never been thoroughly debugged because it's the equivalent of a bsod for your graphics card. Your crash log just shows that the graphics card crashed, nothing to do with the cause or how to resolve it. Frequency can be reduced by turning off weather effects and shadows. Up until now the only way to resolve it was changing hardware.

However, dgvoodoo2 has recently added ffxi support and runs on directx 11 through a virtual graphics adapter. I believe the way this is done results in a complete bypass for the conditions that should create the nvidia crash. While it's hard to say it's completely gone, I have yet to hear of anyone on dgvoodoo2 crashing from it.
 Odin.Foxmulder
Server: Odin
user: Chakan
By Odin.Foxmulder 2017-06-09 23:03:22
Link | Quote | Reply

I've got a Radeon with up to date AMD drivers and I'm experiencing the same exact issues.