Forum » FFXI » General » Hardware suggestions
Hardware suggestions
 Siren.Yaibal
Server: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: yaibal
By Siren.Yaibal 2017-06-02 16:58:10
Link | Quote | Reply

Hey all! I've got the ffxi bug again and I want to take the plunge back into vanadiel. However, I no longer have a pc. I also don't want to buy a new snazzy pc as I prefer to do my gaming on my tv anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cheap windows console style pc that would hdmi out to my tv? Preferably something I can store neatly in my media center. I've seen the Alienware alpha... but it's a tad pricey and most likely overkill.

Any suggestions would be amazing! Thank you in advance.
 Asura.Beanrod
Server: Asura
user: Wikkedd
By Asura.Beanrod 2017-06-02 17:14:54
Link | Quote | Reply

Turn a PC on its side and it will fit in most TV stands or entertainment centers. I've been doing it for years. Find you a cheap desktop, throw in a cheap $40 hdmi video card if it doesn't have hdmi out, and play away. You don't need much to run FFXI.

If space is that much of an issue could always look for a mini-tower too. Dell's Optiplex line offers three different sizes. Just food for thought! Good luck!
 Bahamut.Odaru
Server: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Odaru 2017-06-02 18:03:34
Link | Quote | Reply

If you wanna try going the build your own route:

Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: Windows® 7 / 8.1
CPU: Intel® Pentium®III 800Mhz or faster processor
Memory: 128 MB RAM
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ series with 32 MB or ATI® RADEON™ 9000 series
Sound Card: DirectX®8.1 compatible sound card
Hard Drive Space: 9.5 GB free hard disk space
Other: Keyboard, mouse, DirectX8.1 (included with install disc),
CD-ROM drive (used only when installing)

*For PlayOnline/FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection, Vana'diel Collection(s), Aht Urhgan, and Wings of the Goddess, a DVD-ROM drive is necessary for installation.

Recommended
Operating System: Windows® 7
CPU: Intel® Pentium®4 processor
Memory: 256 MB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce FX™ series or GeForce 6 series
Sound Card: DirectX®8.1 compatible sound card
Hard Drive Space: 9.5 GB free hard disk space
Other: Keyboard, mouse, DirectX8.1 (included with install disc),
CD-ROM drive (used only when installing)

*For PlayOnline/FINAL FANTASY XI: Ultimate Collection, Vana'diel Collection(s), Aht Urhgan, and Wings of the Goddess, a DVD-ROM drive is necessary for installation.

newegg is a pretty great place for building computers. If you're uncomfortable trying to build your own, you could troll craigslist for a while and try to snipe a deal. I got a setup worth roughly 3k usd for 800 from a guy a few years back who was moving and couldn't take it with him.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
Server: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-02 22:03:27
Link | Quote | Reply

While it is pretty hard to find a machine that won't run ffxi adequately, those minimum specs are pretty terrible and honestly a bit inaccurate with the higher res soa textures

so don't buy a used PC from 2000 and expect it to run properly because it meets those specs
 Asura.Saevel
Server: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2017-06-02 22:33:59
Link | Quote | Reply

Ideally

Windows 7 x64
4 ~ 8 GB of Memory
i3 or i5 CPU at 3Ghz or AMD APU 7600 or above.
Real Video Card (Intel HD won't cut it but APU's are fine). So anything low to mid range will work on FFXI.

A 256GB SSD is really nice for making the system feel fast and having everything, including FFXI, load quickly.