Ads Preventing Forum Reading

Language: JP EN DE FR
New Items
2017-05-14
476 users online
Forum » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » Ads preventing forum reading
Ads preventing forum reading
Offline
Posts: 5
By irrelliuss 2017-05-19 10:00:12
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I can't read forums anymore, every time I try the google ad services will drag the window to the bottom to display an ad for the lottery. If I wait 30 sec for it to play, I get 5 seconds to read before the video restarts and drag the window to the bottom of the page again. I understand ad revenue is important, but not when it makes the site unusable. I'm just lucky this text box is at the bottom of the page or I wouldn't even be able to type this.
[+]
 Asura.Deijixfx
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Deijixfx
Posts: 33
By Asura.Deijixfx 2017-05-19 12:21:39
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Never once has this problem since the site launched. Mobile or pc issue?
Online
Posts: 141
By Vijara 2017-05-19 12:46:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
irrelliuss said: »
I can't read forums anymore, every time I try the google ad services will drag the window to the bottom to display an ad for the lottery. If I wait 30 sec for it to play, I get 5 seconds to read before the video restarts and drag the window to the bottom of the page again. I understand ad revenue is important, but not when it makes the site unusable. I'm just lucky this text box is at the bottom of the page or I wouldn't even be able to type this.

I've never seen the ads on this site act so intrusively... Maybe you have some malware injecting more ads into your browser?
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 28120
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-19 12:57:43
Link | Quote | Reply
 
It's happened to me before.

I have two computers, one with an Ad Blocker, one without (I need to open smaller windows for certain websites that Ad Blocker blocks for some stupid reason). When I look at this website without Ad Blocker, on occasion something knocks me down to the bottom of the page and prevents me from scrolling up.

It's never happened with Ad Blocker, and refreshing the page generally fixes this, so it's a possibility that it's an ad from our Google overlords.

Never really bothered me at all, just refresh the page and it generally fixes it.
[+]
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: dameshi
Posts: 29733
By Asura.Dameshi 2017-05-19 13:00:20
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Any and all information on ads which misbehave on the site, whether it be auto play (which we do not allow) or intrusive ads as such, please let us know and we can work on getting them removed.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 28120
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-19 13:14:57
Link | Quote | Reply
 


Obviously the ad was buffering to the next ad. So, there you go.

Even the ad says "Ads by (> Symbol)"
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 28120
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-19 13:16:42
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Also Dame, you look crazy in that picture.

/snaps another shot.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: dameshi
Posts: 29733
By Asura.Dameshi 2017-05-19 13:21:17
Link | Quote | Reply
 
I am crazy. Got a doctor's note.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 28120
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-19 13:22:36
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Dameshi said: »
I am crazy. Got a doctor's note.
Well, tell Dr. Nik to write me a prescription too.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 28120
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-05-19 13:48:58
Link | Quote | Reply
 


Ad is from T2V.tv. Also by AdChoices

It also says on the bottom of the ad "Advertisement. Your video will start in <countdown from 30> seconds"

And it does knock the page all the way down to the bottom without letting you scroll up.

It's only this ad, this happened 3 times in a row, the exact same ad.
 Odin.Drakenv
Online
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
Posts: 1004
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-05-19 14:52:44
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Dameshi said: »
I am crazy. Got a doctor's note.
DR. Phil or DR. Strange love? :0
 Odin.Drakenv
Online
Server: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
Posts: 1004
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-05-19 14:53:13
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Kingnobody said: »


Ad is from T2V.tv. Also by AdChoices

It also says on the bottom of the ad "Advertisement. Your video will start in <countdown from 30> seconds"

And it does knock the page all the way down to the bottom without letting you scroll up.

It's only this ad, this happened 3 times in a row, the exact same ad.
I must be lucky this has never happened to me.
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 3152
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-19 17:07:40
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Asura.Dameshi said: »
Any and all information on ads which misbehave on the site, whether it be auto play (which we do not allow) or intrusive ads as such, please let us know and we can work on getting them removed.

They are all on auto-play. I get hit with constant video adds that automatically play, including audio, and have no way to stop, cancel or minimize. Right now as I type this there is an add playing to the right of the box.
 Asura.Saevel
Offline
Server: Asura
Game: FFXI
Posts: 3152
By Asura.Saevel 2017-05-26 13:37:50
Link | Quote | Reply
 
Finally broke down and installed adblock into Chrome. It got be too much when the adds on this site automatically played and would randomly put out sound through my speakers even when I wasn't looking at the page, or would prevent me from reading a post thread by forcing screen focus to the add.
Log in to post.